The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: The strikeMASTER Recovery - and teardown - 6" Black Ice.. Don't be fooled!  (Read 22989 times)

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
Re: 6" Black Ice.. Don't be fooled! In for a swim!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Glad to hear all went well with your swim. I bought an Arctic Armor last year. Now all my fishing buddies have them, not that they needed new suits, it's just that they wanted a suit that floats, just in case. Aren't you glad you didn't have a nice warm Carhart bibs and jacket on?
Bruster

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:12 PM »
scary stuff right there, sure glad you made it out.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #62 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:14 PM »
Boscoe,

Great perspective!  Glad you posted the pic of that hungry hog!  That was really something!

To ALL you guys out there.... Again, thanks for the heartfelt concern and all responses! We Icefishermen are most definately a force in numbers and serious about our sport. Proof is right here!

What is incredible in this particular thread is that there are guys here who have been Icefishing for a TON of years, me included, and are humbled by what they have read and I experienced. Just when you think you know everything about the sport, think again. I know I have been humbled by everyones input, advice, perspective, and genuine concern. I learned a lot this past weekend, learnings that will be with me forever! There is one post here where the fellow fisherman had gone under... I can't even imagine how catestrophic that event must have been.

The auger being gone is SO insignificant compared to what could have happened. I'd give up 10 of them to have the same outcome. The buddies that were with me were smart!  They did not try and come to me to help, they yelled commands, were ready for 911 calls, when safe - walked me up to the truck immediately, hugged me (no jokes please... it was important) and then thought nothing to grab a rope out of my truck and went on in another totally different area, closer to where we fished all day to retrieve my gear, as they knew how important that gear was to me. Porter called me a few times since the incident to make sure all was good. WOW!  Jeff and Adam - The Opitomy of "having your back"

My advice is to play out the scenario in your head... over and over. It played out real well for me! It was less than 1 second and I was in up to my chest with my arms out like airplane wings holding me up. I didn't even realize the auger was gone. I sat still in the water a few seconds (5 - 10 max) totally still, and thought 'what's next', and got into the back float position (all the while porter yelling out commands) and rolled out. TWICE! I was not in the water more than a total of probably 1.5 to 2 minutes. Scary?  you bet your a$$. Would I do anything different? probably roll another 10 feet for a total of 20 before crawling or attempting to stand.  Did I tell Eileen how serious the situation really was... Nope... I know she would be a wreck everytime I walked out the door. I told her how great the AA suit worked and that it was the best gift she has ever given me. she took great comfort in that.

Thinking about the 100's of time I go fishing alone... there is no excuse. With all you guys out there, I won't do it again...

Lastly, I'm already planning the recovery of the auger... for sure... I took photos of the cooler out on the ice today and a few of the trees I was next to to get a line so I can hone in on the precise area in case the cooler disappears. Also, I don't want the full tank of gas to leak out either even though its only a quart.... It still cant be good if it all leaks out. right now, I am trying to source a flat bottom aluminum boat or a john boat to get it maybe this weekend. There is already a few guys who have volunteered to be the 'recovery' team.

Thanks guys... I certainly hope to see you on the ice!

Flaggs!   aka_Roger
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline striper1rn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:17 PM »
glad to hear you are ok flaggs....any auger...even a favorite one...can be replaced.

I ordered Arctic Armor a few days ago and have been trying to justify the cost since then...done deal....it's now justified! peace......

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:26 AM »
Whew   close call but glad your ok   it says something about our community  prior to IS  how many of us ventured out alone but now thanks to IS we have found numerous friends that share our passion and rarely go alone now  prior to IS if I went out with friends we didnt really know anything   but when passionate guys go out now they can save our lives   augers are a dime a doz compared to your life  You must contact arctic armor as I never saw an actual experience from them when I bought mine and it was on blind faith be safe brother   and thank you his friends for helping him out
Hazzy
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nationality: Porterguese of course!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:40 AM »
I'm with Roger... I will seriously consider never going out on my own again... unless the ice is definitely 8 inches plus... even then, anything can happen.

Even if you fall through and get out... another danger still exists - hypothermia. I watched Roger slow down completely as we walked away from the scene.. as much as he wanted to rest and get over the shock and cold... I kept him walking and his blood pumping... then got him into a warm vehicle to remove some layers. Keep this in mind guys... if you are alone.... just how far are you from your car or any place of warmth???    

From my experience 2 things really scare me about ice fishing and we must be EXTREMELY careful:

1. Late ice/honeycomb ice - I put a leg through this kind of ice on Browning Pond two years ago trying to extend my season til mid March. Though I near broke my kneecap as it crashed to the ice. Some scary stuff guys.

2.. Any ice with snowcover (of ANY depth) - lack of ice condition visibility, can step in an old hole/injure yourself, etc. Areas where snow has drifted also puts alot of pressure on the ice in that area (more pressure than you realize).

Lastly guys, I witnessed something (I had never seen) this weekend that changed the ice conditions on the lake we were fishing on. I fished the pond on Saturday by myself and drilled about 30 holes. That was the time the storm was closest to MASS along with it's very low barometric pressure. On Sunday when Boscoe and I arrived at the lake - we noticed that there was areas of water/slush on the ice beneath the snow - some of this layer was lightly frozen. As the storm was pulling away on Sunday, higher pressure was building and I could see water rising slowly out of the holes as the day went on. I've read about this online on icefishingtoday.com and thought it was impossible. Well let me tell you -it's definitely possible... I saw it firsthand. 

Thanks for listening guys and be safe!

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:02 AM »
 :tipup: Glad your O.K. Bud!  But we all have to get baptized!!!!!  ;D
God bless and be safe

Offline Capt.Dana

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Haverhill, MA.
« Reply #67 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:34 AM »
   Porters quote:  Lastly guys, I witnessed something (I had never seen) this weekend that changed the ice conditions on the lake we were fishing on. I fished the pond on Saturday by myself and drilled about 30 holes. That was the time the storm was closest to MASS along with it's very low barometric pressure. On Sunday when Boscoe and I arrived at the lake - we noticed that there was areas of water/slush on the ice beneath the snow - some of this layer was lightly frozen. As the storm was pulling away on Sunday, higher pressure was building and I could see water rising slowly out of the holes as the day went on. I've read about this online on icefishingtoday.com and thought it was impossible. Well let me tell you -it's not.

This was something they were talking about on TV 7 Boston. They said that the intense low pressure was causing the ocean level to rise and along with the incredibly high astronomical tides caused by the "blue moon".
I pratice fillet and release!

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Capt.,

This most definitely can happen.  I witnessed this as well this Sunday.

Stay safe guys!

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 05, 2010, 02:54 PM »
glad all worked out well for you

Offline drl823

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 05, 2010, 04:12 PM »
Roger.....As I stated in my first reply, I am glad things turned out the way they did. I did not get the chance to thank Jeff (Porter) and Adam (Boscoe) on a heroic job they did, I was in disbelief when I read the post. Quick thinking and level heads took over in a situation that could have been bad very very bad. Jeff and Adam...what can I say ....you saved the life of one of our own and retrieved his equipment....words escape me, I can imagine how Roger feels.
  I always used to carry 50' of rope with me, but now I have tied a boat cushion to one end of the rope. I now carry a pair of sweatpants, sweatshirt, knit hat, and socks in my truck. Hopefully not for me, but if needed, for one of my brothers that might need help some day. Jeff and Adam you are heros and I am glad to be part of this organization.

Don       

Offline d3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pay attention as the kids are always watching
« Reply #71 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:24 AM »
Flaggs I am glad you are ok The man upstairs was looking after all three of you that day.  I have been wanting to buy the artic armor for a while it all had to do with the cost.  Money is tight these days.  I will be selling some stuff I no longer use to purchase it as it will save my life.  I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine the other day as he goes out often by himself and does not own the artic armor. also he is at alot of private ponds where there are not alot of other fisherman so it really is not a good situation.

Fortunately I have fallen through the ice except on the edges getting on or off when they get soft.  I have been involved in two rescues on the wood river in RI in april which is very cold.  One was a couple who had the canoe anchored on both sides and when it went  it filled up and down she goes.  The women was going with it as she would not let go do to shock we practically had to hit her with the paddle to get her to let it go, her husband was in a panic as he could not swim he did grab a life preserver as quick as possible.  We were able to get  both of them to shore.  I started a fire for them gathered up there gear was able to recover the canoe and followed them back to the launch.   The second one was on the same river farther up where the river was slower moving and had a tributary with shallows.  There were two guys in a canoe one had waders on and when the caonoe went over they filled up thank god he was in about 5 feet of water and we were able to get them quickly and get them to shore.

Flaggs I am glad you are good porter and adam great job.  I like what someone said in the posts above about having extra clothing and socks in teh truck for anyone in case of emergency.  Maybe a blanket also.  I always make sure my wife has a winter survival kit in her jeep as she has the kids 90 percent of the time and it can be cold if the vehicle breaks down.  A wise man once told me "better to have and not need it then to need it and not have it"   

Go make those memories and be safe

D3

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 10, 2010, 02:00 PM »
OK BOYS HEAR IT IS (THE RECOVERY) went down at noon met flaggs ,uno and porter.we came together and video tells all.oh yea porter was behind the camera.good job buddy.i might hire you guys for the frozen recovery service .lol                   
                              one more thing ,to all the outdoor world its friends that makes it worth it.just like today use caution and take your time help another out.it was a great day for a good friend. ;D
Keep busting those holes and re-baiting those Indian Hill's

Offline DOUBLE-D

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOOD FRIENDS,GOOD FOOD,COUNT ME IN!!!!
« Reply #73 on: Jan 10, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Nice job guys helping a friend out.  Hope to catch up with you all this year on the ice again. Good luck on your outing would love to had gone along.    See you all soon . Double-d

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
Great job fellas! We came, We saw, We Conquered! Done in an hour (including the run to Lowe's!)

You guys are the best! Thanks for all the help... Jdipeiro aka_"Jdip" Thanks for offering up the equipment.. as it turned out these guys were already planning the "attack"

great video...

Hey frozen, now you have your apprentice and he will definitely need instruction like "Hey Porter, go get my **censored** out of the truck", and of course the old standby, "go get me a dunkin donuts coffee!"    Learn Porter, Learn   :roflmao:

I am in the process of tearing her down and have flushed 1.75 cups of water out of her. The fuel was completely contained (No water in the fuel) It is stripped down and in front of the stove.... I am taking shots and will post when I get 'er running.

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline chimsweep

• IceShanty Rookie
Great news to hear you were OK Flaggs and fantastic recovery job and video. That is the meaning of friendship. May the Ice Fishing God smile upon your tilts.  :) :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
Way to go guys,congrats on the recovery.Flaggs you must be stoked getting that back,good luck getting it up and running.Hope to see yas out there soon.Just another Team Mass adventure,what a good group of guys.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
Great job fellas! We came, We saw, We Conquered! Done in an hour (including the run to Lowe's!)
Flaggs!

Another Happy Ending!!!  Great to see the TEAM spirit!

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
You and your recovery team were all dress the same!  :thumbsup:My team dresses in camo, 'cept me in the red. Glad you got your hardware, now we'll read about getting it running again.
Bruster

Offline Stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just a kid until the end.
I think that was better than the last movie I watched on Netflix.  Great retrieval.  WTG! 
Member of the GODs, the Grumpy Old Dudes, "We're off our rockers."

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great job and Great catch!  :tipup:

Offline IceMan4716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 10, 2010, 03:59 PM »
OK BOYS HEAR IT IS (THE RECOVERY) went down at noon met flaggs ,uno and porter.we came together and video tells all.oh yea porter was behind the camera.good job buddy.i might hire you guys for the frozen recovery service .lol                   
                              one more thing ,to all the outdoor world its friends that makes it worth it.just like today use caution and take your time help another out.it was a great day for a good friend. ;D

ok i understand your tryin to help a freind and all, but i would hate to see some youngster go thru there tomarrow and loose the rest of his fishin career. forget about the auger,not worth anyones life.

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice job guys. Hope you don't have to practice that too often.

Offline IceMan4716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:04 PM »
ok i understand your tryin to help a freind and all, but i would hate to see some youngster go thru there tomarrow and loose the rest of his fishin career. forget about the auger,not worth anyones life.

my appoligies. dident see the end of the video. haha i got worried for a second there guys! nvm good job. just want to be safe!!!

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Flaggs you have some great buddys there Porter Karl and Frozen,Wow is all I can say you guys are the best :clap: :clap: :clap:.                                            Art
I don't always Ice Fish,but when I do I always use Indian Hill Traps Stay safe my friends
[One of The G.O.D.S.

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
great recovery and great friends

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:10 PM »
DID YOU NOT SEE THE CAUTION TAPE. we took the extra step to surround the hole plus by tonight its gunna freeze,speaking from a fathers point i have to young kids 7 and 8 and when it comes to ice or there safety im very cautious . i understand your point we had a boat just in case.but what you didnt see is us planning and checking ice around hole.also where he fell in was foot prints atv ,snowmobile tracks.maybe that caution area will keep people away from there all together. ;)2
Keep busting those holes and re-baiting those Indian Hill's

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
Glad to see you got her back buddy, at least you had one bright point today, just hope you didn't watch the game.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #88 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:17 PM »
DID YOU NOT SEE THE CAUTION TAPE. we took the extra step to surround the hole plus by tonight its gunna freeze,speaking from a fathers point i have to young kids 7 and 8 and when it comes to ice or there safety im very cautious . i understand your point we had a boat just in case.but what you didnt see is us planning and checking ice around hole.also where he fell in was foot prints atv ,snowmobile tracks.maybe that caution area will keep people away from there all together. ;)2

my appoligies. dident see the end of the video. haha i got worried for a second there guys! nvm good job. just want to be safe!!!

LOL ~I chewed him out too, but then read his 2nd post and deleted mine.

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
All,

we did this one right...all the precautions...ropes, floating suits and roping off the area with caution tape...we did the right thing....we will go back and take care of the litter once the ice freezes a bit more...

good to help ya Flaggs....K

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.