Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 433824 times)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #330 on: Nov 29, 2008, 01:00 PM »
Went this morning fishing was slow.  Some small eyes and small yellows.  Ended up with 6 decent around 9-10 inch yellows.  Lots of cracks that looked kinda spooky over by farmers so exercise caution.  Ice was holding in there good though at 4-5 inches.  Punched a hole on the east end as I was leaving and found a good 5 inches also of decent ice.  So maybe I'll try the east end tonight and hopefully get some off the reefs. :tipup:

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #331 on: Nov 29, 2008, 03:47 PM »
I'm going to stare into your icehole for the rest of the evening!!!! C-ya, Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #332 on: Nov 29, 2008, 07:22 PM »
   Has the water clarity improved, in the week you guys have been out there?  Looks like Mountain Dew!

Offline J. Rosonke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #333 on: Nov 30, 2008, 12:57 AM »
Now I know who buys all the properly sized center sliders at Mills.  ;)

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #334 on: Nov 30, 2008, 09:29 AM »
So whats the ice look like today after the snow?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #335 on: Nov 30, 2008, 09:33 AM »
Kinda creating a soupy wet mess on top.  Beings the first half was rain.  With the cold temps coming up that will all freeze back up into white ice.  Im gonna stay off for a few days cuz that rain kinda softens the ice.

Offline tsmith17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #336 on: Nov 30, 2008, 10:05 AM »
Time to make ice!

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #337 on: Nov 30, 2008, 01:42 PM »
does anyone know if any of the area ponds have frozen over?

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #338 on: Nov 30, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Bluebill is froze over. The lake at the junction of The Avenue of the Saints and I-35. Someone drilled some holes by the boat ramp when I drove by there on Friday. Ther should be some decent gills in there by now.

Offline tsmith17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #339 on: Nov 30, 2008, 05:22 PM »
I drilled most of those holes in Bluebill, I was going to go out yesterday morning but I didn't.  This past summer I caught some real nice largemouths, I have been trying to figure out the best way to target them out ther this winter.  I caught a lot of nice gills' as well. No crappies this summer/fall but I will try to get in em' this winter as well. Ice seemed thick enough around 3 1/2''-4'', will probably go out tomarrow morning. :)

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #340 on: Nov 30, 2008, 06:03 PM »
the bass on my photo are out of there.  i was there once about every 3 days this summer.

Offline tsmith17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #341 on: Nov 30, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Nice. Those largemouths were beasts. A buddy of mine even pulled some nice cats out of there.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #342 on: Nov 30, 2008, 07:35 PM »
yeah, i got one cat real early in the morning, didnt now they were in there till this year.     we were out in my boat in the middle of summer and a friend of mine snagged a smaller walleye.  his line was sort of looped around its head, wasnt even hooked.  i wish the pearch were bigger,  wouldnt mind a bucket of those.  did you drill only by ramp then?

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #343 on: Nov 30, 2008, 07:50 PM »
i just heard that the gas station in ventura is going to be having minnows.

Offline Frank Boling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #344 on: Dec 01, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Glad I noticed the above post about the Bluegills,I love those things.I will have to hit that lake on the drive through on the way to MN,in about a month!

Offline tsmith17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #345 on: Dec 01, 2008, 05:11 PM »
I only drilled the holes by the ramp, I think I might walk around the pond a bit tomorrow and drill to check the ice levels and fish a bit.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #346 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:38 PM »
How thicks the ice on the main lake?  Anyone checked it lately?  Havent been over there to check it for 4 or 5 days.  Hoping to get the big shack out there this weekend "IF" we dont get that storm.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #347 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:47 PM »
We were up Monday.  It was close to 5 off Farmers, most of it good ice.  Fishing sucked, but the ice was fine.

Offline nater3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #348 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:01 PM »
Nick,
Are we talking sucked as in didn't catch anything or sucked as in didn't knock them dead like you usually do?   
Nate

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #349 on: Dec 03, 2008, 05:49 AM »
1 12 inch yellow was all we landed.  Fished from 2-5 and had 3 bites.  It was cold and windy, so we didnt move around as much as normal.  We just werent marking anything.

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #350 on: Dec 03, 2008, 01:07 PM »
i think the cold is on  hope to get fishing by this weekend .  i think i will go to farmers   and see how it goes

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #351 on: Dec 03, 2008, 01:36 PM »
Anyone been out on the east end or up on the north.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! Fish On!!

Offline crappieangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #352 on: Dec 03, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Whats the ice like by the island?  That and the point (can't think of name right now) straight west from the island is what I'm familiar with.  Would anyone mind sharing where farmers and billys reef is from the island? 

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #353 on: Dec 03, 2008, 05:08 PM »
  Billys Reef is East of the island. It can be hard to find without a map if you've never been there before.  Farmers is southwest of the island around Dodges Point and keep going Southwest.  Billys Reef reaches 200 to 300 yds out into the lake.  If you drill a hole out there and you're in five foot water your're on the reef.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #354 on: Dec 03, 2008, 05:53 PM »
Use caution around the island I seen open water out there last week yet.  The gooses were keeping it open!  12 Degrees out right now at 6pm were making ice big time!

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #355 on: Dec 03, 2008, 06:35 PM »
giving out all the secrets huh?  >:(        ;)  yeah, in the days before te vex,  the few times we just happened to spin some holes on top of structure by accident,  were surprisingly more productive than the rest of them.  it helps if you know the lake.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #356 on: Dec 03, 2008, 07:58 PM »
  More advice for crappieangler.  If you are serious about ice fishing hopefully you have'nt bought a Vexilar yet.  My buddy has one of these flasher units.  We have tested said unit against the Lowrance LMS 522C. No comparison!   The 522c has a liquid crystal screen, internal GPS,fish marking, color screen, maping, and operates in temperatures of -22 degrees.  Comes in a soft pack for easy portability.  It also comes with two transducers, one for the ice and one for the boat.  So you can use it on your boat in the summer were the Vexilar is strickly for winter use.  Nothing like droppin a chubby darter down there and seeing it attracting all the fish.  The cost is $550.00 and worth every penny.  Dual that with a Navionics Chip (North) and you'll be able to find Billys Reef faster than you can say walleye!  It will definetly give you the advantage on the ice.  Oh Yeah, it has a built in flasher unit.  Good Luck!

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #357 on: Dec 03, 2008, 08:50 PM »
you can throw all the money you want at something at it doesnt compare to old fashioned know how and being framiliar with a specific body of water.  if you dont already have a gps.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #358 on: Dec 03, 2008, 08:55 PM »
i bet it is nice though. :)

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #359 on: Dec 03, 2008, 09:39 PM »
  I agree, but if you're new to a lake the electronics will atleast give a guy some confidence.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.