The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: 10" holes are a hazard - minor rant  (Read 4900 times)

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
10" holes are a hazard - minor rant
« on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:49 AM »
<Rant on

I fished the Midwest open tournament this weekend. A lot of holes were drilled by a lot of people. I went to one of my spots, and started drilling holes with my 5" auger. As I moved to my 3rd drilling location, I stepped into a 10" hole that had been covered by blowing snow. My Mickey Mouse got stuck about 4" down, in a very painful ankle bent postion. I could have broken my leg. If I would have had a smaller boot on, I would have been up to my crotch in water. Unless you are in SALT WATER, or spearing, you have no right to put others into harm's way! I don't care if you are sight fishing, or anything else. If you should have to drill one of these, PLANT A TREE!  Indicate that it is there. It is also a HUGE danger to children on the ice. They could fall all the way through. Several teams had kids for members.

Rant off>

Sorry if I have offended anyone.

Dave

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 10" holes are a hazard - minor rant
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:52 AM »
 I don't adhere to that size hole either .short of maybe a sturgeon, ( catch many of them?), I see no reason for one

Offline michiganice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:59 AM »
I wouldn't say spearers have any right to put others in harm's way either.  I've pulled a couple pike out of 5" holes this year with no issues at all.  I can't imagine needing a 10" hole.  Seems like it'd just end up causing more harm (inadvertently) than good. 

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:00 AM »
i agree but a bunch of guys on here won't agree til it happens to them.

Offline Principal ice-cam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:16 AM »
I talked a buddy out of buying one...I said obviously you've never put a foot into one yet. After conversation, he bought an 8 inch.
Principal ice-cam

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:21 AM »
I bought a 6" for my auger to replace the 10" I was afraid of my skinny grandson falling in the 10" hole. Plus it is 6 pounds lighter.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:26 AM »
I bought a Jiffy 30 a couple of years ago used. Came with an 8,and a 10 inch auger. Don't really know what to do with the 10".  Maybe do some fence posts.

I bought the Clam conversion plate this year, put my 5" Laser hand auger on it with a good 18V Rigid drill. 12.5lbs. I can't say enough good about this thing. No pull ropes, light, no gas smell, amazing. I've pulled some pretty good bass through the 5" hole.

I'm only keeping the Jiffy because I might go walleye fishing at the Bay sometime. 5" may be a little snug.

Dave

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Not trying to hijack your post ski but what is a good size hole for tip ups? For pike that is. I currently have a 5" blazer with the drill attachment and a Stanley 20v drill that works awesome. But do I need a 6 or 7 inch?

Offline Taco

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Givem the beans!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Watching your step works great!

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:26 AM »
What? Just because someone does something different than you , you don't like it? Watch where your  going and quit sweating the small stuff. Just for the record I use a 6'' and 8''  but would never blame someone else for "MY OWN STUPIDITY" if I stepped in it. Just saying

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Watching your step works great!

Not when everything looks the same!

I was at the Midwest Open, you could not find some holes ten minutes after drilling.... The biggest issue in that situation is when the holes do get snow blown over them, they take a very long time to refreeze because the snow insulates them..

I have an 8" gas, and a 6" electric. Only one time in 30 years did I have a little bit of trouble with my 8" was when I caught a 30" walleye momma full of eggs.. She just barely fit through, I had to death grip her face and pull her out... While pulling her through the hole all the water came out with her because it was such a tight fit.. Other then that one time, a 6" would have covered every fish I have ever pulled through a hole...

I really like the efficiency of my electric drill, it just does not like it when it is colder than 10F...

Tight lines and bloody tines!

<*)))>{

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Not trying to hijack your post ski but what is a good size hole for tip ups? For pike that is. I currently have a 5" blazer with the drill attachment and a Stanley 20v drill that works awesome. But do I need a 6 or 7 inch?

8" hole is all you need for pike

Offline iceman8132

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Nothing wrong with a 10" hole in my opinion I've stepped in smaller just a matter of watching your step I guess.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:53 PM »
I feel the same way, overkill! my fish come up head first not sideways. Don't see the need for them.

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:56 PM »
i have to agree....10 inch is overkill...

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:04 PM »
To each his/her own . We all know that theirs hazards like 10" holes out there and most of them aren't marked after their used . Bottom line is safety starts with you , not they fisherman ahead of you ! I use 6", 8" AND 10" all for different applications and try to remember to mark the big holes for the above stated reasons but again , safety is all of our jobs knowing that theirs hidden dangers !

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:18 PM »
<Rant on

I fished the Midwest open tournament this weekend. A lot of holes were drilled by a lot of people. I went to one of my spots, and started drilling holes with my 5" auger. As I moved to my 3rd drilling location, I stepped into a 10" hole that had been covered by blowing snow. My Mickey Mouse got stuck about 4" down, in a very painful ankle bent postion. I could have broken my leg. If I would have had a smaller boot on, I would have been up to my crotch in water. Unless you are in SALT WATER, or spearing, you have no right to put others into harm's way! I don't care if you are sight fishing, or anything else. If you should have to drill one of these, PLANT A TREE!  Indicate that it is there. It is also a HUGE danger to children on the ice. They could fall all the way through. Several teams had kids for members.

Rant off>

Dave

No Right?

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:22 PM »
Grow some bigger feet ya midget
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:26 PM »
What? Just because someone does something different than you , you don't like it? Watch where your  going and quit sweating the small stuff. Just for the record I use a 6'' and 8''  but would never blame someone else for "MY OWN STUPIDITY" if I stepped in it. Just saying

FYI - Stupidity HxxL!  The holes get covered in blown snow, making for a great hidden hazard. They used to catch Bengal tigers that way.

Dave

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Is a child's size 4 shoe and a 6-8" hole the same hazard as a mans size 10 or so and a 10" hole, if both are covered with snow?

Just wondering out loud.....

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Is a child's size 4 shoe and a 6-8" hole the same hazard as a mans size 10 or so and a 10" hole, if both are covered with snow?

Just wondering out loud.....

At least the kid can't fall all the way through.

I'm done.  Dave

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:56 PM »
If your taking a child ice fishing that will fit through a 10" hole or any other hole , that child's safety is "YOUR" responsibility not those ahead of you !  I'm all for marking big holes but we cant lay blame on others when they aren't the people taking that child on the ice !  Again hidden dangers are out there and we all know it so safety starts with you as the fisherman !

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:57 PM »
At least the kid can't fall all the way through.

I'm done.  Dave

But your point was that your BOOT went through and hurt. And could have broke something.  Just trying to remain on topic here......

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2014, 02:03 PM »
I use a 10" auger... why? because I got a hell of a deal on it from a guy at work and can't afford to buy another. I don't lke th idea that my flasher could fit through it.

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:44 PM »
I see no reason for 10 inch holes, once I was fishing with a buddy his daughter fell in one waste deep quick end to a fishing trip

Offline firefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:56 PM »
how big are the holes that are on the inside of the speer shack, that dont get marked with trees when the shack is moved.  You jus t have to watch where you step.  10" holes are great for sight fishing.

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:59 PM »
how big are the holes that are on the inside of the speer shack, that dont get marked with trees when the shack is moved.  You jus t have to watch where you step.  10" holes are great for sight fishing.
not in the water u fish in (indian lake) can't see anything. Lol

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:30 PM »
The 3 pairs of boots I wear measure 12, 13 & 14 inches from heal to toe. I guess thats the draw back with the military white boots, t      their too small so you don't buy bigger sizes so you can wear 4 pairs of socks. Put a life jacket on that hypothetical child~->*)
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline afishhawk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:40 PM »
i agree but a bunch of guys on here won't agree til it happens to them.

Taz,  You called it early on the forth posting.

It has always been said that experience is the best teacher and that surely applies here also.  A little common sense should be used on both sides but from reading the posts here blaming the victim seems very foolish.

Why can't the "sportsman" consider the unintended consequences of their actions and how it could effect others ? My eight grandchildren deserve a safe fishing experience, one trip in a hole and it can ruin a young persons desire to ever return.

Many of us were taught over the years to be responsible for our own actions. 
Is putting a stick in the hole to protect others too much to ask the naysayers for ?

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:41 PM »
<Rant on

Rant off>

Dave

I hope it wasn't one of my holes, I bought the auger sight unseen, and never thought a ten inch hole would be so big. I normally use a 6 inch auger, but my desire to get a power auger and the price was great. By next season I can see getting a smaller auger, or a different one. I drilled a lot of holes sunday and hated the size. was way over kill, and I do know what you mean the holes were covering fast with snow and not freezing well. You have not offended me at all, rather confirmed my embarrassment of leaving a hazard like that.
:icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.