Author Topic: Fried fish that's crispy, not soggy.  (Read 50751 times)

Offline jerrife

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fried fish that's crispy, not soggy.
« Reply #60 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:40 PM »
this is a great tread, can't wait to try some of these tricks. keep-em coming guys. I also looked up the fryin saucer and that thing looks awesome, I want one.
           :thumbsup: BUBBA ARMY :thumbsup:

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:30 AM »
idk if this has been said yet, this is what i learned on keeping anything crispy after deep frying

keep oil higher than 350f.  after cooked. lay on a cooking rack, dont lay on paper towel. it brings out the moisture in your food.  will pretty much crisp up anything you got.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:24 AM »
going to get some panko tonight too, thanks for the good ideas guys.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #63 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:20 AM »
You can add any coating you like but the Key to crispy fish with either a Egg and pancake batter or Beer Batter is HOT OIL!! Maintain a hot oil around 375 to 400 deg and DO NOT place a lot of Fillets in oil at one time. Two or three Fillets at a time and allow the oil to regain temperature. What you are trying to do with the hot oil is sear the batter so it does not absorb the oil and become soggy. Oil 350 deg has a tendency to cool too much too fast. Adding too many Fillets does the same thing.

Nothing against the Panko, Bread crumbs or whatever other "Crunchy" coating you put on top it went on crunchy and will stay crunchy. If you do a wet batter you have to play close attention to Oil temps.  Even think of getting one of those little counter top mini deep fryers they come with a double basket which you stager the frying so the oils always stays hot and invest in a fry thermometer too or candy thermometer one that goes to 450 deg or higher.  Just remember the thicker and bigger the fish you might consider finishing in the oven. Fry till coating is brown to liking then put them in oven to finish if needed. Not too often that happens but once in awhile.

Offline BHollister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 06, 2013, 02:20 PM »
I soak filets in club soda for 10 minutes, (this makes breaking stay on!). I then roll the filets in a combo of "cajon fish fry, and panko crumbs.  Pan fry in 1/2" of hot oil of your choice (I use canola so as not to over take the flavor).  360 degrees works well for about 1 minute on each side,  Enjoy!  BHollister

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:23 PM »
i found the panko a bit on the bland side.  i mixed it with Ritz salt and pepper.  Loved the crispiness, but needs much more zing added to it to work for me. 
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Fried a pile of gills and crappie today,used 1/2 plain shorelunch and 1/2 4 C's Italian bread crumbs they turned out great, set the fryer at 375 fry till they float, a couple minutes. The key is don't over crowd the fryer cause it brings the temp down and you get soggy greasy fish.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:42 PM »
ok just did this last night. take 1pkg saltines 1 pkg townhouse crackers 4-5 Tbl spoons flour crush and put in food processor or do by hand. Need a food proc. or coffee grinder for this next part. put 3 or 4 chicken boulion cubes in device and powderize. add to crushed cracker mix. dip fillets in light egg/milk wash and then in breading. let sit for 5/10 minutes before frying in HOT 375/400 veg oil or whatever you like. very crunchy and very tasty...
paul

Offline skavenger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:42 AM »
Great tips for sure.  I like the panko and corn flake combo myself.  I add dill,garlic pepper and chilli powder to the mix.

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:28 AM »
I know my oil is plenty hot enough so i shouldn't be getting oil absorbsion.  What's the secret?

I am part of the Cape Cod fish share CSA down here in MA and so I am cooking fish every week.

Here is my technique.

1. Use a cast iron fry pan.
2. Canola oil, just a thin coating is enough, medium high heat, but back off a bit after pan comes up to temperature.
3. Dry the fillets off with a paper towel, not bone dry but get the excess water off.
4. I don't use an egg wash.
5. 50% panko crumbs and 50% plain bread crumbs mixture (PANKO is the KEY to a crispy fillet). You can also put in a tiny amount of flour if you like.
6. Take one fillet, put in in the crumb mixture, press down and embedd the crumbs into the flesh of the fish, this is also key.
7. DO NOT OVERCROWD THE PAN, this is where people FAIL, if you put the fillets too close together they will steam (same thing happens if you put too many scallops together in a pan), so give each piece room.
8. Once the oil starts to smoke slightly, put the fillet in and DO NOT MOVE it, depending on the thickness this might be 1-2 minutes per side.
9. Flip once, and again, DO NOT MOVE the fillet.
10. You will be left with crispy golden brown fried fish that is yummy in your tummy.

Offline NYJigger72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 31, 2013, 01:27 PM »
Soaking in buttermilk for one hour ,these dipped in flour, then into an egg wash, with Italian panko always works great.  Old bay Cajun seasoning in with the flour adds a little zip to my perch every time.

Offline IceRaider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 03, 2013, 11:19 AM »
If you really want 'crispy' fish, try tempura batter mix. You might be able to find it in the asian foods section of your grocery store. You'll definitely find it at any asian grocery store.

Here's some places where you can order it online:
http://www.bakingsupplystores.com/p/Hime-Tempura-Batter/detail/B0000CNU2R.html
http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/product/hime-tempura-batter-mix-10-oz
http://www.foodpakexpress.com/hime-tempura-batter-mix-10-ounce/
http://www.lacubic.com/misc_tempura_mix_hime.html
http://www.pacificeastwest.com/011152033624.html

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:35 PM »
O.K. I just had some breaded crappie I got yesterday. ;D My findings are pretty similar to the above suggestions. Egg wash, Panko and seasoned Italian crumbs with a little grated parm mixed in. Don't have a deep fryer, so I just pan fried in peanut oil. I stack them on layers of paper towels and place in the oven on warm. BTW, I think Panko is being used as a generic term for Japanese style crumbs, which are crunchier and also a lot coarser than standard bread crumbs.

Offline realtree2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:29 AM »
Growing up, my dad always used egg and italian bread crumbs.  Never came out soggy.   I have also used potato flakes, special K, panko and shore lunch (all separate).  Again, I have never had a problem with soggy fish.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #74 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:37 AM »
As stated already the sogginess comes from after it's cooked as long as your oil is hot enough. I put a few layers of paper towels (or a paper bag) on a cookie sheet, than put a cooling rack on it upside down so it's touching the paper. Place that in the oven on it's lowest setting. As the fish comes out of the fryer (pan)  place it on the tray without stacking. This will allow the excess oil to wick off without letting the fish sit in grease and have it re absorb.

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:04 PM »
Here's my favorite way. First cut your fish into approximately 1" cubes, rinse them and drain to get as dry as possible. Put them in a wash of beaten egg, milk (half and half is even better) with a little old bay in it. Take about half a box if cornmeal recipe shorelunch mix and put it in a ziplock with some old bay in that as well. Put your fish cubes from the wash (shake off excess wash) into the ziplock, add the rest of the shorelunch in it (again with a little more old bay) and shake thoroughly until all fish is coated. Then deep fry in 375F oil A LITTLE AT A TIME (like a handful or so) so your oil stays good and hot. I take each batch out of the fryer, drain on paper towels, then put them in the oven on low heat on a baking sheet with a cooling rack on it. This way everyone can enjoy hot crispy fish at the same time instead of eating in shifts as the fish comes out of the fryer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.