Author Topic: Fried fish that's crispy, not soggy.  (Read 50758 times)

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
Re: Fried fish that's crispy, not soggy.
« Reply #30 on: Apr 03, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Well I bought some panko and some fish crisp and tried them both. The fish crisp has good flavour but still a little soggy, but better. The panko had excellent crispiness but bland flavour. I mixed the two together and viola, crispy awesomeness! Outfrigginstanding! My arteries are really gonna hate me for this.
Still counting.....

Offline travis9791

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Apr 07, 2012, 10:12 AM »
im surprised no one has mentioned ritz crackers for a breading. it may sound odd but it really makes a nice crispy breading. i usually take a half package of ritz crackers crumble them by hand a little then place in a food processor and blend until a fine consistancy. if you like a crunchier breading you can skip the food processor and just crush them by hand. then just dip in simple eggwash then in breading and then in some hot oil. you can also mix the crackers with seasoned panko for an equally good breading. crispy golden fillets everytime

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Apr 13, 2012, 07:15 PM »
im surprised no one has mentioned ritz crackers for a breading. it may sound odd but it really makes a nice crispy breading. i usually take a half package of ritz crackers crumble them by hand a little then place in a food processor and blend until a fine consistancy. if you like a crunchier breading you can skip the food processor and just crush them by hand. then just dip in simple eggwash then in breading and then in some hot oil. you can also mix the crackers with seasoned panko for an equally good breading. crispy golden fillets everytime
Ive used Ritz or Club crackers for years.  Lay the crackers on a sheet of wax paper and crush up with a rolling pin.  Dip fillets in egg wash, dip into the cracker and panfry.  One of my favorite basic recipes for walleye or pike fillets.  The buttery cracker makes for a fine crusty coated fillet.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Apr 13, 2012, 08:28 PM »
This is what we had tonight...   Crappies soaked in egg than put in a mixture of seasoned bread crumbs and Panko...   Nice and crispy on the outside and nice and flaky on the inside..... ;D ;D  And dont forget the sweet potato fries, beans and cole slaw... ;D ;D

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Apr 13, 2012, 09:02 PM »
I just use straight plain panko and sprinkle this on top.

This stuff works on just about anything.

I started using a little corn starch whisked into my egg wash, it seems to make it thicker and stickier.

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 05:18 AM »
I cut my DRY fillets into 1" cubes, then soak them in a mixture of beaten egg, milk (half and half is even better) and Old Bay seasoning. Then I pour about half a package of shore lunch cornmeal recipe into a ziplock, shake the fish cubes of excess marinade and add them to the bag, then pour in the rest of the shorelunch. Shake it well until all fish cubes are coated, then deep fry in 375F oil IN SMALL BATCHES (like a handful at a time). When I take them out of the oil, I drain them on paper towels and them immediately put them on a baking pan with a wire rack on it and place them in a 250F oven to stay hot and crunchy while the rest of the batches are cooked. That way everyone (including me) can enjoy delicious hot fish at the same time instead of eating it as it gets cooked. Try it!
The wire rack on the baking dish is the secret and in the oven at 250 and please do not stack.and I love peanut oil it has a high flash point

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 01:46 PM »
THIS DEPENDS on your taste,i love fish,and would eat it 7 days a week if my wife let me.
this how i do it.
i coat the fish with corn flour and wheat flour,that's it,i love the taste of fish
12oz of corn flour
8oz of wheat flour
mix well,coat fish well[there is always some liquid on fish]donot dry fish,]
now i use canola oil[smoke point is about 225`f]i love the old lard[smoke point is 360/400]
but i can not that anymore,
make sure to check your fryer[mine was off by 10`]
TAKE YOUR TIME let the oil heat up after each fish cook
hope this helps
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2012, 01:03 PM »
put filets in milk, mix old bay seasoning and aunt jemima pancake mix. you want the mix to be just barely pink....fry them like that....even pan frying them like that they will not be soggy.....
that looks good,I HAVE TO TRY IT,CRASH
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

surflizard

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 02:10 PM »
Cheez-itz also makes an outstanding breading for everything too, the Parmesan Cheez-itz give a nice change to the flavor of whatever you are frying or baking for a little change of pace !

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Mc Cormick's beer batter mix with some fresh onion and garlic finely chopped! I will try mixing in panko or some Cheese-it crackers next time to experiment. Thanks guys! ;D

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 04:15 PM »
I like the idea of cheezits myself, gonna try that this weekend.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2012, 02:24 PM »
The first bite of fish I ever ate in my life was done with an egg wash and rolled in soda cracker crumbs and so was the last one. Laying the cooked fish on a nice bed of paper towels to absorb any excess grease or oil helps a bunch.  I have tried other coatings and always go back to cracker crumbs.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #42 on: Jun 03, 2012, 08:42 AM »
Yesterday I had a craving for chicken after seeing SURFS post, so I picked up a bucket of Kentucky Fried for dinner. If anyone knows the secret recipe, I bet that would make an awesome fishfry...Kentucky Fried Perch/Pannies

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jun 06, 2012, 07:56 PM »
The first bite of fish I ever ate in my life was done with an egg wash and rolled in soda cracker crumbs and so was the last one. Laying the cooked fish on a nice bed of paper towels to absorb any excess grease or oil helps a bunch.  I have tried other coatings and always go back to cracker crumbs.

X2

Once in awhile I'll give the fillets a brief dip in orange juice that is watered down a bit prior to the egg wash.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline fishfeind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jun 10, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Its probably your fish you could just send it to me for "free testing".
Getem caught

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jun 29, 2012, 01:50 PM »
Yesterday I had a craving for chicken after seeing SURFS post, so I picked up a bucket of Kentucky Fried for dinner. If anyone knows the secret recipe, I bet that would make an awesome fishfry...Kentucky Fried Perch/Pannies
Col's secret recipe:
chicken, salt, grease  ;)
Tight lines

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jul 07, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Another option is fire cheetoes crushed up with flour, cornstartch or whatever you prefer.  My buddies thought I was nuts.  They ate them as fast as I pulled them out of the oil.  Nice red color, crispy and spicey.
I've done that and man is it tasty!!!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Nov 01, 2012, 02:59 PM »
I tried a new one over the summer....my buddy did up a batch using flour, then egg, then (finely crushed) jalepeno chip crumbs.  I thought it was gonna be gross and salty...but man oh man, it was AWESOME.  A good way to get the chip crumbs even and crushed well is to take the last 1/4 bag, and roll a big soup can over it untill you get bread cumb consistency
Tight lines

Offline laxcarp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Nov 27, 2012, 08:19 AM »
I've had a lifelong gag reflex to all things soggy, so being that fish is my favorite meal, I've made it my mission to fry crispy fish. Just about every batch I make is different from the last but I've settled on a basic forumla that is never soggy.

I'm not picky about oils (peanut, canola, veg) just dont use olive, I also pan fry everything. I'm pretty meticulous with temperature control on the pan constantly adjusting to get the right intensity of frying. Canola does best just under its smoke point, if it begins to smoke I just take the pan off the burner for 30sec.

Coat filets in flour- AP or Rice
Coat in egg/ milk (1.5tbsp per egg) wash, shake off excess.

Dredge in equal part mixture of panko, flour/and or breadcrumbs (rice flour for extra crispy), and. parmesan cheese. Mix in a variety of seasonings but I always include salt, pepper, and paprika.

When done I normally give both sides a firm blot with paper towel then put on a wire rack. I just made some Walleye this way for my "vegetarian" gf and she loved it!

Offline Ice26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:28 PM »
Wet the filets and put a flour coat on them, run them through egg wash and coat them in crushed Ritz crackers!!!!!!!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:44 PM »
Good lord! No egg wash just cracker crumbs or cracker meal and fry at 375 or 400. Salt and eat. Yum
Paul

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #51 on: Dec 05, 2012, 09:23 PM »
if 'panko' tastes like pancakes, i'm not interested. maybe it is the oil though, i do just use regular canola oil in my fryer.

Panko is the best breading ever
This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 09, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Last year I tried Kellogs corn flakes, the plain ones not the frosted ones on crappies and perch..I was surprised how well it worked, and everyone who ate some wanted to know what the coating was.And where shocked to hear what it was.

Offline tank81

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #53 on: Dec 17, 2012, 09:52 PM »
instead of egg i use ranch dressing then dip in drakes batter and to the fryer with peanut oil
BORN to ICE FISH forced to WORK

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 17, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Make sure your oil is between 375-400 and only add a few pounds of fish at a time.....another thing that helps is cover your fish and chill in refrigerator for a few hours after breading.....the fish sweats and absorbs the breading  ;)
Budweiser pro staff

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #55 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:22 AM »
Last year I tried Kellogs corn flakes, the plain ones not the frosted ones on crappies and perch..I was surprised how well it worked, and everyone who ate some wanted to know what the coating was.And where shocked to hear what it was.

You can buy cornflake crumbs by the box.  Very good.  Thats all I ever used to use,,,,,now I also use Panko

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #56 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:49 PM »
Fish to flour to egg wash to seasoned panko to fryer equals crispy

Offline Fishingnerd33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 27, 2012, 12:52 PM »
I use an electric skillet so I can control the oil temperature.  I put about 1/4-1/2" of oil in the bottom and set it between 350 and 375, after a few minutes toss a pinch of flour in it to make sure it's hot before adding the fillets.  I use peanut or olive oil, as they seem to not add their own flavor (I like to be able to taste the fish).

I pat dry my fillets, salt them, then dip in flour/salt mixture. 3-4 minutes on one side, then 2-3 on the other and they are nice and crispy.  Once I pull them out, they go onto cookie drying racks with paper towels underneath to catch all the extra oil.  Once they've dried a bit I pull them off and put onto paper towels on a plate. 

I have never had a soggy fillet and have actually had people who do not like fish start to like it.  My mother-in-law being one who actually requested we have fish after she got a taste of how I make them.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #58 on: Dec 27, 2012, 12:56 PM »
if 'panko' tastes like pancakes, i'm not interested. maybe it is the oil though, i do just use regular canola oil in my fryer.
Peanut oil is best.. I never have a problem with soggy filets

Offline FishinHank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep Fish,  It does a body good
« Reply #59 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:46 AM »
Another good coating to try is tater flakes. I have baked a lot of halibut coated with them and they come out golden brown. I bet they would be awesome in a deep fryer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.