Author Topic: witch flasher to choose from  (Read 1379 times)

Offline iceaddict2

• IceShanty Rookie
witch flasher to choose from
« on: Oct 11, 2012, 10:34 AM »
hey guys I currently owned the Marcum LX3 tc flasher for the last 6 years and I had some great time with it.  But this season I want to upgrade for a stronger model of flasher.  I was thinking on the Marcum LX5, Humminbird ICE 55 or the VEX FL-20.  Anyone had any of these model and would like to share there poors and cons on these unit.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: witch flasher to choose from
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2012, 04:01 PM »
I have used both the LX5 and the FL20, but I cant speak for the H-bird. I would recommend the FL20 over the LX5.

Im currently a Marcum LX7 user, and Im super happy, but I would not take the lower level Marcums over a Vex (personal opinion)

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2012, 04:11 PM »
I personally think that you get more for your money with the lx-5 or humminbird than you do with vexilar. The lx-5 has the most power and best target seperation, plus you can move the zoom anywhere in the water column. The vex can only zoom the bottom. The marcum has much crisper lines than the bird or vex too. If you really want the flat screen I would get the bird, if you want the most features and best possible target seperation than go with the marcum. I also wouldn't rule out the marcum lx-6 if I were you. Its only slightly more expensive than the fl20 and has way more features packed into it.

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2012, 04:35 PM »
can only say that lowrance x67ice is a great little machine

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2012, 04:55 PM »
can only say that lowrance x67ice is a great little machine

If your looking for something that will perform great on both hard and soft water I would definitely look into the lowrance and bird units. If you want something designed for ice fishing than you might want to stick with a flasher or one of the marcum lcd units.

Here's a thread comparing every single flasher on the market: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38003.0

Here's a thread comparing every single LCD ice unit on the market: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=228121.0

Offline CDN ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2012, 07:03 AM »
Marcum LX-5 is a great unit!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2012, 09:08 AM »
BIRD!!

Offline markjsolomon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2012, 11:29 AM »
I have used both the LX5 and the FL20, but I cant speak for the H-bird. I would recommend the FL20 over the LX5.

Im currently a Marcum LX7 user, and Im super happy, but I would not take the lower level Marcums over a Vex (personal opinion)

Hey IJwill you be doing the upgrade from LX7 to the LX9 ?  heard you have to get a camera and send the head unit back to Marcum

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2012, 09:05 PM »
No, I own a Marcum 625 camera as well as the LX7, I dont use the camera a ton so would prefer two seperate units. Im looking forward to checking out the LX9, a firend of mine traded in his bird for one

Offline markjsolomon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:07 PM »
I am thinking about selling my bird for one too I like the camera flasher option and will entertain me and the five year old

Offline icemanwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:17 PM »
I own the fl20 and my brother has the the ice 55 i fished along side him all last winter and even used his bird on a few trips and i will throw rocks at that bird over my vex ;D

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2012, 07:58 PM »
The Humminbird Ice55 has one nice feature that I like and that is the digital readout of the depth in the centre of the face.
I own the Ice35 and really like it, but I have to calculate the depth by reading my flashes and correlating it with the scale -2x, 3x etc.
Not a big deal but it sure makes things easy.

Offline JohnnyD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2012, 01:33 PM »
Im a marcum guy. Curretly set up with an LX-5 and VS-380. The biggest plus on the marcums is the movable zoom window. If your on suspended fish havin this feature is a must. Also I wouldnt go less than the LX-7. The lcd display is so crisp and having the unit display the depth is handy when your getting questionable readings. The other big plus is that you can hook it up to the computer for software updates as they are released.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline iceaddict2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:30 AM »
Well thanks guys for the input on the flashers.  With all your input all probabbly stay with Marcum and upgrading to the LX7 instead of the LX5.  I really like my Marcum Lx3 tc unit.  All let you know when I buy my new flasher.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.