Author Topic: long poles  (Read 5123 times)

Offline rat-l-trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
long poles
« on: Dec 01, 2013, 03:02 PM »
Looking to buy a couple long poles for this ice season...anyone know of a place to get them..living in New Paris tackle shops are limited lol..Want to try them with the new eagle claw reel..any info what be great..thx

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: long poles
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2013, 03:12 PM »
Don't know what you're looking for...check PTO in Ft Wayne and if that doesn't work I bought 48" and 36" HTBlue rods at fish usa. (also a sponsor).
Paul

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2013, 04:34 PM »
Sending you a PM.

Offline iceangler82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2013, 05:43 PM »
What kind of action or length are you looking for and price?
POPPIN TABS AND CATCHIN SLABS!!!

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:00 PM »
I bought one last year from pto that I think is a 42 inch light action.  I haven't gotten all my stuff out yet or I'd be able to tell you for certain. I know it came from pto in Fort Wayne and Jim had quite a few to pick from.

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2013, 07:10 PM »
I think its called the outpost it is north of granger.. :tipup: :afro: :afro:

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2013, 07:15 PM »
By far the best custom rods are in rico's signature. I highly recommend them.

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2013, 09:56 PM »
By far the best custom rods are in rico's signature. I highly recommend them.

lol ya those work great once you sort through 10 or 11 and get through the flat spots and splinters I'll pass on those been there done that already. They do fly well across the ice though I think I got 50 yards out of my last one.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:22 PM »
^Lmao

Offline rat-l-trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2013, 04:31 AM »
Thx guys...basicaly lookin for 48" ish  noodle rods..seen alot of people long polein the last few yrs and wantin to give it a try...looks fun to me lol

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:19 AM »

So you are saying you can get triple that out of a Bricker rod?  3 times the price=3 times the distance by my "Keystone Math"!!!!!!!!

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:30 AM »
So you are saying you can get triple that out of a .Bricker rod?  3 times the price=3 times the distance by my "Keystone Math"!!!!!!!!

Depends on the wind their much lighter!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:07 AM »
Depends on the wind their much lighter!

I hate talking "variables"!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline cmoore09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2013, 09:06 AM »
Why do some guys like the long poles vs. the shorter rods?  I typically use 24-28" rods and mostly go with them as they fit well when I'm in my shanty.  Do you think you can set the hook better on a long rod?  Maybe you stand often?

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2013, 09:12 AM »
Like the long poles as I don't use a shanty. Get a good hook set and like the fight. Can fish deeper water without having to use reel. "Different strokes for different folks."
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2013, 09:31 AM »
Why do some guys like the long poles vs. the shorter rods?  I typically use 24-28" rods and mostly go with them as they fit well when I'm in my shanty.  Do you think you can set the hook better on a long rod?  Maybe you stand often?

Lots of advantages to using long poles.  You can stand and move around alot without reeling in and putting twist in your line (if using spingging reels.  Inline reels have helped this issue).  The flex in the long rod does the fighting of the fish for you allowing you to use super light line (less than 1lb) without breaking off.  The long rod can put a different action in the jig/fly than can be obtained with shorter stiffer rods.  You can be a distance from the hole on clear ice and not spook the fish.  I use both long and short rods depending on the lake, depth, amount of pressure on the fish, etc.  It is not for everyone that is for sure. 

Offline Border Jumper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Must be here someplace??
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:44 PM »
Question about the long poles, what kind of action do they have, and what length would you want?

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:53 PM »
Question about the long poles, what kind of action do they have, and what length would you want?

To be honest that is something you are gonna have to find out for yourself.  The longest I got is 40".  The action is fine, but the reason I use them is the way I can work a "rap".  I know a few guys that use up to 5' poles.  As Teach said earlier, to each their own.  I will say one thing, a lot of the old school poles wouldn't be comfortable fishing out of portable shanties.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:04 PM »
I have 2 38" that I'm going to use for walleyes but for pannies  I use 28" power noodle and 28" meat stick  outside and 20" meatstick amd 24" inside shack
Never to many short poles

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2013, 08:29 PM »
Lots of advantages to using long poles.  You can stand and move around alot without reeling in and putting twist in your line (if using spingging reels.  Inline reels have helped this issue).  The flex in the long rod does the fighting of the fish for you allowing you to use super light line (less than 1lb) without breaking off.  The long rod can put a different action in the jig/fly than can be obtained with shorter stiffer rods.  You can be a distance from the hole on clear ice and not spook the fish.  I use both long and short rods depending on the lake, depth, amount of pressure on the fish, etc.  It is not for everyone that is for sure.
All the above will add fish to the bucket... The other great aspect is you can cover a heck of a circle without moving around.
Teach, where did you get those rods?
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2013, 08:36 PM »
I have 2 that are 54 inchers and are very light action.  They will bend to nearly all they way to the handle on a good sized gill or crappie.  Besides the benefits mentioned above, they are just fun to fish with, if you enjoy the battle with the fish and are not just meat hunting.  Nothing better than cracking the whip on a light bite and having the rod just fold in half when fishing 25+ fow.

Offline cmoore09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2013, 02:00 PM »
Thanks all.  Good info. 

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2013, 02:05 AM »
One of the old guys who fish the Salamonie uses a 6.6 light action st croix. said the hook-ups are better. teardrop

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:42 AM »
High Tide- Don't want to get slapped for naming a non-supporter but bought mine from Carl Chupp from Goshen. I pmd Rattletrap and he found his phone # dis-connected. If we find him I'll pm you. They are five footers but he had all sizes. Does a very good job.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Fishgirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:21 AM »
Yeah no kidding with being slapped or even banned from here for dropping names.  PTO has a large line of rods which include St. Croix, Brickers, etc.  Sometimes I think this site is too touchy with pulling threads if you mention certain names.  People ask questions and others answer.  How the heck can we give an honest answer without putting "actual" info on here????  Frustrating to say the least.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:35 AM »
Yeah no kidding with being slapped or even banned from here for dropping names.  PTO has a large line of rods which include St. Croix, Brickers, etc.  Sometimes I think this site is too touchy with pulling threads if you mention certain names.  People ask questions and others answer.  How the heck can we give an honest answer without putting "actual" info on here????  Frustrating to say the least.

Believe it or not.......running a quality website aint free.  Most of the good ones have advertising policies in place.  The problem is where is marketing divided from information.  It is a grey area.  Where do you draw the line?  I don't know the answer to that question myself, and I believe it is something that most forum web sites struggle with. 

Offline Joe2727

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:39 AM »
I know there not a sponsor, but my son and I took a trip to Lunkers  and I think you will find everything your looking for there.

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:39 AM »

I guess having logos on your avatar is ok Rico shows the gaff one on his I don't see Gaff as a sponsor.... Rico you feeding JT that cheap beer? It's starting to show its affects on his judgement! Lol In the past though I have heard that gaff donates some rods to shanty tournaments so that could be the trade off. I'm sure it's a pretty fine line being that companies pay to be here promoting their products and why would they want to pay if they could just post freely about it. It's just shanty rules. I'd almost prefer a paid membership site like a club with a fee of like 5 bucks a month then members could talk freely about their stuff helping other members out without the fear of the ban hammer. Maybe one will be coming soon lol

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:45 AM »

Jim has also stepped up and sponsored the board.  If Brickers Rods are that good and he wants to move product,  why not sponsor the board also?  Then he would be able to post all he wants and get his name out there?

Offline Joe2727

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:45 AM »
I follow a bunch of guys on here and Rico your one of them. Can I get in trouble for mentioning Lunkers on here?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.