Author Topic: Fishing without a Vex  (Read 6184 times)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fishing without a Vex
« Reply #30 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:49 AM »
I use a Hummingbird 100 that I had for years and I used last year through the ice.
Mounted the monitor on a 10x10" piece of scrap wood, power it with a 12v battery and rigged a mount for the transducer.
Half the fun of icefishing for me is the hunt and uncertainty of what you are seeking and where you cut you holes. Most of my fishing is based of knowing the basic depths of a pond and "blind luck".
Sure, if you want to take all of the guess work out of fishing, fine. I still like the challenge of knowing that I can find the fish on any body of water, no matter what.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:59 AM »
keep an eye on craigslist.  I've seen em go on there for under $200 bucks

Not to brag, but I got an FL-18 Ultra for $200 off craigslist.

Ok, I'm bragging.
How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #32 on: Dec 03, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Half the fun of icefishing for me is the hunt and uncertainty of what you are seeking and where you cut you holes.

Do you hunt with a blindfold??   :whistle:
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #33 on: Dec 03, 2009, 11:01 AM »
Not to brag, but I got an FL-18 Ultra for $200 off craigslist.

Ok, I'm bragging.

you SHOULD be bragging!!!  That is awesome. 

Does it work??   :o   >:D
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 03, 2009, 02:28 PM »
you SHOULD be bragging!!!  That is awesome. 

Does it work??   :o   >:D

Like a charm.  It works just as well as the Aqua Vu Scout II (still in the box) I got off craigslist for $100!
How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 03, 2009, 03:44 PM »
I have both and if I had to choose between the 2 I would perfer the vex. I like my camera just to see fish on the bottom and at nite. Using the flasher has improved my fishing success 4-1. Like Jimmy said, if they are suspended in deeper water you can raise your jig to the depth of the fish and just jig the pole and you will be able to set the hook without even feeling the strike, just by watching the t.v. (vezilar #1) IMO.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 03, 2009, 03:50 PM »
DO what ya gotta do........    GET A FLASHER!!!!!       

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 03, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Well, after crunching some numbers and basically giving myself a complete financial analysis, I have come to the conclusion that I can make it one more year without a Vex.  I'll use my portable LCD for the time being.  I know it's not going to be as efficient, but at least it's something.  I'll use my cam more for entertainment than anything.

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good friends -- Great times
« Reply #38 on: Dec 04, 2009, 02:53 AM »
I cant believe people blast a cam, I guess the sonar is quicker than the cam, but I enjoy fishing with it, seeing is believeing I guess. And no I wish i could afford a flasher Id get one.
just keep doing what you're doing and save a few bucks a week till next year. i know it's hard to do while others are doing well on the ice with flashers. i'll agree that the marcum vx-1 is a great flasher for the money, i've had one for two years now and it works just as well as any vex except for not being able to zoom at specific depths. and although some people will not even respond when you ask them how deep the fish are holding( like you just asked for directions to the buried treasure) there are still some good people out there that don't mind helping out. catching fish is fun but being out there away from the crap of everyday life is good! good luck out there

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:06 AM »
Do what you gotta do Matt........Vexilar does make a ducer that will mount on your bass boat, so that you could use the unit year 'round.  But as far as the ice fishing goes.....once you get a flasher.....icefishing will never be the same!!!!

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #40 on: Dec 04, 2009, 06:40 AM »
You STILL have to catch the fish once you locate them. A vex doesnt catch the fish. I think the best thing about a flasher is this....it eliminates unproductive water, and you can read bottom structure...

Offline Edge

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best Friends!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2009, 06:52 AM »
When I first got mine, I tried a spot on a lake I'd never fished before.  Drilled a handful of holes, and didn't mark a single fish.  Packed up and headed to a different lake where I found fish right away and started catching them.  Before the vex I would have stayed at the first spot a lot longer, and maybe I would have found fish, but I would have wasted a lot of time in the process.  Money well spent, never leave home with out it.  I use it on the boat quite a bit as well.  You still have to catch the fish, but it will definitely help.   

Try eBay, I bought mine a couple years ago right around this time of year.  I have an older model fl-8 slt, but it works great.  I think I got it for around 180 shipping included.   

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2009, 09:01 AM »
How bad do you wanna improve your catch rate.  They Do help you find fish , and when you learn how to use it , it greatly improves your catch rate..its true...    I bet the folks at vex are lovin this site..with all the advertisement they get.  ;D

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 04, 2009, 09:09 AM »
How bad do you wanna improve your catch rate.  They Do help you find fish , and when you learn how to use it , it greatly improves your catch rate..its true...    I bet the folks at vex are lovin this site..with all the advertisement they get.  ;D
As much advertising as they get here i am surprised they are not a sponsor.

Offline stonecold16

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2009, 01:58 PM »
I bought my vex fl8 off of ebay for 100 bucks 2 yrs ago and I love it I also have a cam they are great together.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 04, 2009, 05:51 PM »
When I first got mine, I tried a spot on a lake I'd never fished before.  Drilled a handful of holes, and didn't mark a single fish.  Packed up and headed to a different lake where I found fish right away and started catching them.  Before the vex I would have stayed at the first spot a lot longer, and maybe I would have found fish, but I would have wasted a lot of time in the process.  Money well spent, never leave home with out it.  I use it on the boat quite a bit as well.  You still have to catch the fish, but it will definitely help.   

Try eBay, I bought mine a couple years ago right around this time of year.  I have an older model fl-8 slt, but it works great.  I think I got it for around 180 shipping included.   

There it is....anyone can talk about fishing "old school".........but weigh fishing blind as opposed to fishing with eyes......no comparison.......Edge, you stole my thunder!!!!!! ;)

Offline chevy hillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 04, 2009, 11:15 PM »
i use a humminbird 535(open water sonar), works like charm. 20 degree beam, rig it up on a small bucket, with a lawn mower batter inside. I know its not the best choice, but by dingies, it shows me what i wanna see, helped me catch fish i can say for certain i had no chance of catching with out it(suspended fish, like Jimmy said).
Had the best icefishin season i ever had with it.
I have used flashers in the past(never owned one to really get the hang of them), but watchin the screen was easier for me, all those purty colors tend to distract me...LOL

HB 8)

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 04, 2009, 11:30 PM »
I bought a VX-1 winter of 07-08 and I used it all the time and loved it! Then in the summer of 08 I was jigging for 'eyes and it fell off the front of my boat! I figured I wouldn't miss it, boy was I wrong!! So this year I bought a used one and all will be right with the world again!

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2009, 04:36 AM »
When i'm after Crappie in 20 fow that are suspending and changing all the time, i need my LX-5.

Some guys can sit on a bucket and watch a bobber all day and be content. Not me, if there is something i can use to increase my odds, i'm using it.

Out of all the things i have for fishing from the boat to the ice, my flasher is the best tool i have.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2009, 05:56 AM »
I bought a fl-8se off of Ebay a couple of years ago and love it. I also bought the trolling motor puck and use it on my boat in open water too. I bass fish and often in shallow water so it's not much use in open water except for a depth finder. But I love it on the ice!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:10 AM »
I'm not trying to be a jerk but this is why the admin and mods want us to avoid brining up brand names. Why pay to sponsor a site when the users are doing it for you for free?  We'll never get companies like Thorne Bros.,Jason Mitchell, or Vexilar to help us out because of this. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, just sayin'.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:18 AM »
I'm not trying to be a jerk but this is why the admin and mods want us to avoid brining up brand names. Why pay to sponsor a site when the users are doing it for you for free?  We'll never get companies like Thorne Bros.,Jason Mitchell, or Vexilar to help us out because of this. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, just sayin'.

What's the point of having a forum if you can't talk about products.  If you wanna get that strict about things people won't use this site at all.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:20 AM »
I can remember back in the late 90's on Summit Lake,walking down into Beaver Bay,and seeing 15-20 fishermen,and maybe only see 3-4 Flashers.Walk back there now and you'll see 75% of the fishermen using Electronics,the times sure have changed fellows.

Im like most of you all,I won't leave home without mine,best of luck to you all this year,whether u got electronics or not,hope to see some of ya on the ice this year,

Jimmy

Offline shantylife

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never leaving , wife's droppin off more beer
« Reply #53 on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:41 AM »
One quick thought that might help.  You say you are a server, so next Christmas party you are working, casually walk over to the guy who is wearing the nicest looking suit and ask him if he wants to see a pic of your bass boat.  Put it in front of his plate just so and when he looks down at it WHAMMO!  Back of the head with your serving tray!  Knock his pus right into his French Onion Soup.  If you're lucky you can reach in and get his wallet before anyone knows what's happening, and if you can't well atleast there will be one less Bozo out there hole hoggin the rest of us.  Vex's cost ya know. 

8)
        lol
BAM!! ANOTHER KEEPER

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #54 on: Dec 05, 2009, 03:23 PM »
math is not a strong suit of mine but for 7 bucks a week for a year you can buy a vex. so why fish blind buy some ice fishing eyes by vexilar.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:00 PM »
What's the point of having a forum if you can't talk about products.  If you wanna get that strict about things people won't use this site at all.

Amen brother!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 06, 2009, 05:39 AM »
You're 100% right! I don't want it overmoderated either. I was just replying to the dude that asked why Vexilar doesn't sponsor us. I also understand when they do have to get there mod buttons out.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 06, 2009, 06:46 AM »

Just curious......how do they help "us" out? 

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 06, 2009, 07:39 AM »
Rico, I think he meant The Shanty when he said, "us".  They don't have to help the board out by sponsoring it when we promote their product for them. 

In my opinion it's a fine line that can never be fairly defined. 

-Jeff

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 06, 2009, 07:55 AM »
i use a humminbird 535(open water sonar), works like charm. 20 degree beam, rig it up on a small bucket, with a lawn mower batter inside. I know its not the best choice, but by dingies, it shows me what i wanna see, helped me catch fish i can say for certain i had no chance of catching with out it(suspended fish, like Jimmy said).
Had the best icefishin season i ever had with it.
I have used flashers in the past(never owned one to really get the hang of them), but watchin the screen was easier for me, all those purty colors tend to distract me...LOL

HB 8)

Can you actually get it to shoot through the ice before you cut a hole?  I plan on using my lcd this year again, but I'm never sure that I was using it right in the first place.  Could you shoot me a private message and explain your rig to me?  Next year will be the year I get a flasher.  Hopefuly my money situation will be different and I can get a good deal on one during the off season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.