The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: FIREWOOD  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
FIREWOOD
« on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:29 AM »
looking for a cord of seasoned split.......before I go elsewhere I thought I would help some of you out if you know of, or have any.  Thanks in advance............ski iiiiipppppppppaaaaaaaa hhhhhh

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: FIREWOOD
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2007, 09:27 AM »
lots up here   lol    trucking would kill ya though    switch to a pellet furnace  you wont be dissapointed! easyer cleaner cheaper (if you have to buy your firewood ,cut and split it)
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2007, 10:57 AM »
I saw some in Uncle Henry's down your way. In the misc. section.
Steve

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2007, 04:38 PM »
WOW you burn a lot of wood in your shack...... :woot:

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2007, 06:16 PM »
good luck blue.  don't get ripped off!!!! stack it and make sure u get what u buy 4x4x8  (128 cu ft) don't take all this face cord crap! its illegal to sell that way in maine. and if it ain't seasoned tell them.    Then again if someone sells  wood from tnis sight u should be all set

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:26 PM »
pellet stoves arent all theyre cut out to be! what is saved in fuel cost you spend on the extra elec. to run the blower and the feeding unit. comes out to be more than wood. my buddy has one and wishes he went w/ wood now.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:49 PM »
I might just duct tape some instant foot warmers all over myself and call it good....I crunched some numbers and that was the most cost efficient way to stay warm this season  ;D (my 4000) post is coming up so I wanted 3999 to be another 100% truthful, informative post  :-*

Offline BOOBSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:58 PM »
Hey Jacksmelt I think your friend might want to have it checked out. I've had a pellet stove for 5 years now and my light bill did not change. Those motors are only 1-1.5 amps well mine is anyhoo. I stopped burning wood cause I lost stumpage. 10 cord cut an split 1500 to 1700 pellets for the year 900. I love mine

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2007, 09:17 PM »
(my 4000) post is coming up so I wanted 3999 to be another 100% truthful, informative post  :-*
Now Ben why break that 3999 streak................ ..... ;)2
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Hey Jacksmelt I think your friend might want to have it checked out. I've had a pellet stove for 5 years now and my light bill did not change. Those motors are only 1-1.5 amps well mine is anyhoo. I stopped burning wood cause I lost stumpage. 10 cord cut an split 1500 to 1700 pellets for the year 900. I love mine

if ur willing to work up a lil sweat u can get tree length firewood for under 100 bucks a cord, plus u can always find wood for free, chances r ur not gonna find bags of pellets for free. i do like the idea of pellet stoves for ease of use and automation, but would like to see the price come down on the pellets some,    and not have the manufacturers acting like the oil companies manipulating the prices. 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2007, 01:13 PM »
pellet stoves arent all theyre cut out to be! what is saved in fuel cost you spend on the extra elec. to run the blower and the feeding unit. comes out to be more than wood. my buddy has one and wishes he went w/ wood now.
Actually taint true  here   LOL   I didnt say stove  I said furnace!    I have a killawatt meter I attached to it   and it used less than the furnace does and it works just like an oil furnace  only runs when needed  constant temps   blower phlemun attaches to the old oil furnace duct work less mess low maintance  I know Ive saved $$  the last 3 years Ive had  the furnace set the temp at 75  everyones happy  (well wife is  I like it cooler!)

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2007, 03:13 PM »
So what happens when the power goes out, can you stoke this stove with yesterdays newspaper? Can you cook and heat water on it? Sounds like a tough job, having mother turn a dead tree into pellets. What kind of axe do you use?  ;D
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2007, 06:15 PM »
So what happens when the power goes out, can you stoke this stove with yesterdays newspaper? Can you cook and heat water on it? Sounds like a tough job, having mother turn a dead tree into pellets. What kind of axe do you use?  ;D
OH   I planned for that!   it actually will run off my battery bank with an inverter!   cant run the regular furnace on it though   so I have no problems     Live in maine in a remote area   plan for power outages   can go 12 -14 hrs easy on batteries   then hook up the generator!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:00 PM »
i think any move to avoid using oil is a good one!! technilogy will improve also

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2007, 10:28 AM »
i know another guy that is converting used cooking oil into fuel for his oil furnace right in his garage. no fancy equipment either. he filters it then adds lye and something else. takes him a half hr. to convert 50gal.! says he got the formula for it on line! next time i see him im gonna get more info about it. seems to be a good alternative! doesnt have to modify this furnace either. could take the money saved and go on a fishing trip somewhere!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2007, 01:29 PM »
the other ingredient is sodium hydroxide  and heat  lol   works though   

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2007, 02:04 PM »
Where do you get the cut your own in southern maine? ;D
Anybody know?

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2007, 08:39 AM »
Where do you get the cut your own in southern maine? ;D
Anybody know?

some states do give out firewood permits from what i have read and understand

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2007, 09:21 AM »
$18 a cord on public reserve land up here. cut and haul it out yourself.

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2007, 09:39 AM »
$18 a cord on public reserve land up here. cut and haul it out yourself.

Wow, times do change up north Steve. It used to free for low income folk that lived there year round. They would deliver tree length. I think now, they are making pellets from scrap wood?  :-\
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2007, 02:04 PM »
Let me ask again I don't think I was clear. :D

Does anyone know in the Gorham area anyone who delivers the log style and I'll do the work at my house?

Thanks in advance. ;D

Offline Fishingfool_2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2007, 04:37 PM »

Does anyone know in the Gorham area anyone who delivers the log style and I'll do the work at my house?

Thanks in advance. ;D

I haven't talked to them in years but I'm pretty sure the Babb family will deliver you tree length wood
they always did.
Robert Babb (207) 892-6443 512 Gray Rd,Windham, ME 04062
Herb

:icefish:

Offline wickedgoodatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2007, 05:43 PM »
i know another guy that is converting used cooking oil into fuel for his oil furnace right in his garage. no fancy equipment either. he filters it then adds lye and something else. takes him a half hr. to convert 50gal.! says he got the formula for it on line! next time i see him im gonna get more info about it. seems to be a good alternative! doesnt have to modify this furnace either. could take the money saved and go on a fishing trip somewhere!

I was just reading about a system where you mix 20 gallons of waste vegetable oil, 2 gallons of kerosene and a gallon of gasoline, along with some iso heet and diesel additive to make a bio-diesel blend.  No heating and no by-product from the oil, lye, methanol method.  They claim it only costs about .46 a gallon.  Can be used in the furnace or your diesel truck.  No fancy cooker things that you need with the other method, just a trash can from wallys and a filter system.

I'm gonna give it whirl and see what happens.  May have to put some bigger jets in the miller, have to talk to the wifes cousin about that....

I probably won't burn B100 but may go B50 - B75...  Should still result in a powerful savings at the end of the season.

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and it's price competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2007, 06:13 PM »

Thanks in advance. ;D

I think those days are gone Swampbucks. You can though go to a log yard and buy logs then arrange for delivery. If a land owner gave you the trees for work done on his land you may find yourself still paying 1000.00  to move the logs to your house. Good luck!
 Check out Lucas tree, they may have started a log yard??
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2007, 12:56 AM »

Thanks in advance. ;D

there r quite a few    bellelieu (definite spelling error)   on goodwin mills road in lyman, libby i think he only does 11 cord loads though.  will get you some numbers and shoot you a pm

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2007, 05:03 AM »
there r quite a few   bellelieu (definite spelling error)   on goodwin mills road in Lyman, libby i think he only does 11 cord loads though.  will get you some numbers and shoot you a pm

LMAO  come on Rich show us how french you really are!!  :D  ok , ill help a little...i married a Canadian woman, her last name was Beaulieu. no relation however to Beaulieu Logging/Trucking  in Lyman.had more than a few good chuckles listening to telemarketers from the south trying to pronounce a french name with 8 letters and only 2 of them are consonants   :D

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2007, 07:34 AM »
I was just reading about a system where you mix 20 gallons of waste vegetable oil, 2 gallons of kerosene and a gallon of gasoline[/color], along with some iso heet and diesel additive to make a bio-diesel blend.  No heating and no by-product from the oil, lye, methanol method.  They claim it only costs about .46 a gallon.  Can be used in the furnace or your diesel truck.  No fancy cooker things that you need with the other method, just a trash can from wallys and a filter system.

I'm gonna give it whirl and see what happens.  May have to put some bigger jets in the miller, have to talk to the wifes cousin about that....

I probably won't burn B100 but may go B50 - B75...  Should still result in a powerful savings at the end of the season.
Id have to see that   but! wouldnt try it for my home      iso heat is a mixture of methanol (normal for use in bio diesel ) and denatured alc I believe  the gas issue is the limiting factor  that dont make sence   as  u can burn veg oil as it is (filtered)   they dont even like a little gas in a waste oil heater lol

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2007, 08:12 AM »
Thank you, I'll give the people in Windham a call. ;D

Offline OLBLUUU

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2007, 09:28 AM »
i found this ad in uncle henry....

Firewood by the log truck load. Seasoned or Green $100 \ cord plus delivery. Delivery ~ $150 to $200. 6 to 8 cords per load - depends on truck and distance. Also have 4 foot you PU. Full cords only. Any or all $100 \ cord.
Strafford, NH
[email protected], 603-834-1334

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Thanks blu..I've got a call into the folks over in windham being that much closer.

But, my pops lives close to NH border and for the right price, could trailer it.

thanks for the info.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.