Author Topic: Vexilar FL-22, what do you guys think?  (Read 32781 times)

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vexilar FL-22, what do you guys think?
« Reply #120 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:40 PM »
I'm wondering that to, I have no problems up shallow and in weeds with my LX-5, I'm betting you have or do fish my waters Stumper so you know what I mean. Don't always need a flasher here but nice to have one that works well when you do.

Fishing eyes any flasher works well once you get them off the bottom, nice seeing them though when they dont come up, for perch and panfish the seperation factor is a big thing, lets you know if you should be catching or playing keep away. My partners Vex will show a thick red line while mine may mark whats really there 4-5 5" perch or gills. He's trying to catch to see I can see to play keep away.....

Your buddy needs an FL-22 and he wont have that problem. You guys hold hands and fish, seeing your so close you can see both yours and his flasher. I dont get a chance to do that around here, me and me buddies like our distance  ;)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:49 PM »
We like to be comfy we use a shack, plus keeps the crowds away, someone sees you catch a fish and they flock to you. Guessing you don't have 300 people on a Saturday  watching you? Last time I was out there was 65 shacks in about 100 acres. BTW he runs a FL-20

Offline nove

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Just looking at the Marcum LX-5 review and there are 11 pages and you don't see any Vex guys chiming in on the unit. You post something with regards to a new Vexilar product and you get Marcum guys, who don't own the unit, usually the same fellows saying how much the unit sucks?? I sense some insecurity issues with some Marcum boys.  ;D

BINGO! You definitely hit the nail on the head with the above statement........

Nove

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #123 on: Dec 17, 2010, 12:38 AM »
I'm just wondering if we can jack this trhead up anymore than what it has become... ???
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:26 AM »
I'm just wondering if we can jack this trhead up anymore than what it has become... ???

All in good fun.

Cheers!!

Offline onemoreperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:20 PM »
time will tell...

btw, my fishing buddy has a marcum and now his feet stink, i think he needs a vex  ;D ;D

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #126 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:39 PM »
time will tell...

btw, my fishing buddy has a marcum and now his feet stink, i think he needs a vex  ;D ;D

My girlfriend blames the smell of my feet on all the fish I catch....Hmm.....

Offline onemoreperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Dec 18, 2010, 10:15 PM »
good one stumper :)
i use both, on a regular basis actually, about the only difference in the end of the day is the marcum is quieter...

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #128 on: Dec 20, 2010, 10:11 AM »
Well I have to tell you guys.  I've been fishing with my FL18 for 3-4 years now.  Mostly shallow stuff.

I just picked up and FL22HD because I was sick of fishing without a flasher whenever the wife or kids went along.

I had both out fishing side by side this weekend.  We were fishing in about 6 FOW catching nice gills.

The display on the FL22 is soooo much nicer.  You can view it from just about any angle.  It's not like the 18 where you have to be sitting directly in front of it with the display angled right at you.

The FL22 also did a much better job of picking up the jig and showing separation between the jig and a fish.

Coming soon to eBay...  My Dual Beam FL18 Ultrapack with Soft Pack.  I have seen the light.   I'm trading up.

Q

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:46 AM »
So  far feedback has been good other than one guy that returned his.   He was furious, a vex user talked him into buying one so he sold he lx5. He was not happy with the fuzzy display and felt the target seperation wasnt as good . Using tiny jigs in 25 foot of water  he had to turn the gain up "to much" were his words. Still more happy users than not...

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:47 AM »
So  far feedback has been good other than one guy that returned his.   He was furious, a vex user talked him into buying one so he sold he lx5. He was not happy with the fuzzy display and felt the target seperation wasnt as good . Using tiny jigs in 25 foot of water  he had to turn the gain up "to much" were his words. Still more happy users than not...

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Dec 30, 2010, 02:43 PM »
Last night was the first time useing my flasher the fl-22hd.  This is my first flasher and I only see things gettin better from here on out...I out fished by buddy 5 to 1 and he was right next to me in the shack.  I caught fish on lures in my tackle box that I have never had a bite on before.  I'm hooked and never leavin the house with out it again.....

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #132 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:24 PM »
I started with a clearwater classic (lcd about 10 years ago) then went to a FL-18, then to a FL-20, then to an LX-5 and back to a 20 and finally just picked up a 22 about a week ago. So far so good.  I think the biggest thing that has been an eye opener for me is going to the tri-beam ducer.  I've fished the same lake a half dozen times this winter and I definitely am seeing more fish with the 20 degree cone than with my old 12 degree.  What this does for me is when I see a faint flicker about 5 or 6 feet off the bottom, I know there is a fish in the area and what depth he is at.  I reel up to that depth and sure enough the fish moves right into the cone for a nice strong signal.  The 22 seems very responsive and clear to me compared to all of the other units I've owned (listed above).  I would recommend it to anyone who asks. 

Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline GRIZZZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:02 PM »
All this talk about FL22 and the FL20  ???

I just bought the new Pro Pack FL18, did i buy the right one?

I'm knew to this to :P

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:47 PM »

Well you could have got a Marcum VX-1P with all the same features of the 18 for $300 new or less depending where you get it.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:30 PM »

I fished with the FL-18 for years and did just as well as fishing with my FL-22 or Marcum LX-3 and LX-5. Ive tried them all and they all work well. Vexilar has been in the business the longest and has proven itself to its customers and thats reflected on the polls here.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #136 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:54 AM »
I fished with the FL-18 for years and did just as well as fishing with my FL-22 or Marcum LX-3 and LX-5. Ive tried them all and they all work well. Vexilar has been in the business the longest and has proven itself to its customers and thats reflected on the polls here.

EXACTLY, they will all help catch fish for you. Its up to you to decide which one has the options you like to match the budget you want to spend. There is only one company with a bad rep for customer service,(although they say they are improving) so that shouldnt even weigh in on the decision anymore.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #137 on: Jan 01, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Just fished this morning with one of my neighbors.  He has an 18 and did just as well as I did.  We fished in the same house as we have -25 wind-chills here today, so we were about 4 feet apart.  Sure, my screen was a little bigger and that kind of thing, but in terms of fish on the ice, we were pretty much even.  It is hard not to get sucked in to the latest gadget, but if you have a flasher that shows your bait and shows fish in relation to your bait, that is all you need. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.