Author Topic: Vexilar FL-22, what do you guys think?  (Read 32782 times)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
Vexilar FL-22, what do you guys think?
« on: Jul 17, 2010, 07:48 AM »
Well, today I discovered (pretty late, I know) that Vexilar is going to release a new flasher this September, called the FL-22.

There is one problem I see here.  The press release I read states that the new vex will have 1/8" Target ID.  In previous generations of vexilars, their target ID is really meaningless to most fishermen.  Will Vexilar ever figure out how to advertise target seperation like everyone else?  That's what really matters.

Oh yeah, it's only supposed to read down 60'  Definitely limited here.  I do like the idea of the 3-cone transducer though.  Haven't seen any price point yet, other than a rumor it's supposed to run about 20-30 bucks more than a fl-20.  

IMHO, if you guys already got a fl-18 or fl-20, keep your money.  Based on this press release I seen, it's not much of an improvement.

But, if someone is looking for a new flasher, especially if you never fish deeper than 60' (which a lot of us do not) than it sounds like a great option.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: Vexilar FL-22, what do you guys think?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Wouldn't Tri-beam be like the dual beam?

You can switch between one cone angle and the other on dual beam, wide angle for shallow, and narrow for fishing deep.

What would the purpose of three cone angle be if you can't switch.

I have an FL20, but would be interested in the transducer upgrade.

Thanks for the info.

Wiener

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2010, 04:38 PM »
I live very close to Vexilar HQ here in Minnesota.  So, every once in a while I stop in and talk with the boys about what's new.  The other thing they mentioned (which I haven't seen in any of the press releases) is that the operating frequency on these units is new too.  So, you shouldn't have interference with other units; regardless of brand.  That would be a nice feature. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Looks like a nice unit. I will definatley be waiting to see how they perform on the ice. The 60' max depth would be fine for all the local fishing I do but is rather limiting. I would rather see a 120' max depth. I have the dual beam on my Fl18 and it works great, hopefully the tri beam uses the same type switch box.

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Same switching system as the old.. This one has 8, 12, and 20 degree cones.  

I did ask if the tri-beam ducer will work with other models, and he said it will work with all models.   I really like the screen display showing 10 feet rather than 20 feet. I'm sure thats where it gets the clear taget ID, (target separation ;D)

another pic of it, with switching system

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2010, 05:09 PM »
If you do your fishing in 60' or less it's great.  They (anyone) building a unit to operate in 60 ft can get greater accuracy (target id/separation, etc.) than they could on a unit built to operate at 120'.
I like it, but will probably not add it to my arsenal this year.  I have an LX-5 that I like a lot.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2010, 09:53 PM »
Same switching system as the old.. This one has 8, 12, and 20 degree cones.  

I did ask if the tri-beam ducer will work with other models, and he said it will work with all models.   I really like the screen display showing 10 feet rather than 20 feet. I'm sure thats where it gets the clear taget ID, (target separation ;D)

another pic of it, with switching system

Thanks for the pic. Being down here in PA your some of the last people to find out about new stuff.

I'll have to see how the new setup performs and the pricing. Would have to buy the unit and ducer without the pack, I'm partial to my loaded Genz box. I have to say though my Fl-18 and 9/19 ducer has treated me very well thus far.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Did they jack up the wattage yet?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I didn't see or hear anything on the wattage. I posted a vid up in the general section that gives some more info on the unit.

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2010, 10:50 PM »
man i want both the fl-22 and the FISH SCOUT!!!!.....please let me know if anyone hears a release date and prices......prices will be scary i know...

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2010, 11:17 PM »
Think I heard 1600 watts with the ability to adjust the wattage output.

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2010, 11:31 AM »
I also thought they did something with the zoom as well, could be wrong though
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2010, 12:55 PM »
I still want to see a solid number on target seperation.  Vex uses this meaningless stat target "id" which doesn't mean anything.  Just like their older models, they claimed a 1/2" target "id" but the seperation number was 2+ inches.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on this new target "id" number yet, Wait until the manual comes out online, then check that out.  I'm willing to bet that the target seperation is still not very good.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Will have to see. I know my Fl-18 has target seperation of less than 2" easily. When setup right in zoom mode I can count the spikes on my jig. Its not the clearest, I'm hopeing the new Fl-22HD will be more precise. Vexilar knows they have to compete with the LX-5 which has good seperation, hopefully the HD is right there or exceeds the LX-5.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2010, 06:19 AM »
Believe what you want, I'm going by vex's owners manual.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2010, 10:32 AM »
Will have to see. I know my Fl-18 has target seperation of less than 2" easily. When setup right in zoom mode I can count the spikes on my jig. Its not the clearest, I'm hopeing the new Fl-22HD will be more precise. Vexilar knows they have to compete with the LX-5 which has good seperation, hopefully the HD is right there or exceeds the LX-5.

Hopefully it exceeds the LX-5.  I need a reason to buy something new.   ;D

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Believe what you want, I'm going by vex's owners manual.

No I believe what I saw for myself. I will still see what the manual says also. The whole target ID and target seperation is an area Vexilar should address.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2010, 04:06 PM »
The whole target ID and target seperation is an area Vexilar should address.

Agreed. 8)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Aug 13, 2010, 01:41 PM »
Here is a little info I found while surfing.

Press Release I.C.A.S.T

Vexilar Launches ALL NEW FL-22HD for 2010 Ice Season

Minneapolis, MN. Vexilar, the world leader in three-color sonar technology has raised the bar for flasher sonar performance with the introduction of their all new FL-22HD sonar system.

“While other sonar companies try to “Out Power” each other by making it a race to see who has more output power, Vexilar understands that after 50 years of watching the copycats; the serious angler understands that big numbers on the side of a box is no substitute for a real world increase in resolution, target ID and reliability. Vexilar focused their research and development on a new generation of winter sonar system technology with the FL-22HD. Simply put, it delivers the highest resolution and best target display ever in a flasher sonar system,” stated Tom Zenanko from Vexilar. Mr. Zenanko said, “The FL-22HD is not for everyone as it offers ranges down to only 60 feet, but ranges start at 10 foot. So it is ideal for many shallow water anglers. When you combine it with the new Vexilar Tri-Beam transducer, you can fish in any fishing scenario with a new level of clarity and resolution.”

The magic in the new FL-22HD starts with its ability to match the output pulse length with each depth range making for an ideal balance between target ID and display resolution. This is a first with any flasher sonar and since it delivers the best possible resolution at each depth range, you are able to see more detail and understand more about what is going on below. The FL-22HD also has a built-in low power mode, ideal for fishing in heavy weeds and still spotting your fish targets. Two zoom zones that target the bottom 6 or 12 feet of the water column. It also offers a 6 foot Bottom Lock feature for use during the open water season. All of this with target ID down to 1/8 inch, built in night mode and now consumes 25% less power to last longer on a single battery charge.

It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #19 on: Aug 13, 2010, 01:48 PM »
I'd like to see an "unbiased" report from a "non-Vexilar" pro.  :o

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Aug 13, 2010, 01:51 PM »
The triple transducer is an  8, 12 and twenty degree transducer. 

The zoom ranges remain at 6' and 12'.

But consider this once...with the new 1/8" target separation anywhere on the range scale, I'm not sure if a variable zoom is all that much of a concern really.

I say not a concern because now the ID is down to only 2 line segments, and when in the zoom range 1 line segment and 1/16th target ID. 2 line segments is preaty darn tight, anywhere on the scale. And that is as tight as my eyes will ever likely be able to see from my operators position on the ice or in the boat, zoom or no zoom.

Once a fish has it's lips 1/8 or a 1/16th away from your lure, it's all up to the fish's sense of smell and taste, as they likely can't even see the offering anymore as it is too close to there mouth. And at this point for the operator/fisherman other factors such as line feel and visual acuity very quickly take precedence.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Aug 13, 2010, 01:59 PM »
I'd like to see an "unbiased" report from a "non-Vexilar" pro.  :o
I guess Vex is no different than any other company. You have to get some people using them on the ice before we find this out. I'm sure people will buy them and post how they like them. This unit has been tested for several years to get it right the first time. I won't buy one until I find out how FL22 "owners" like them. If they don't work out, I won't own one. Not a real problem for me.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #22 on: Aug 13, 2010, 04:10 PM »
I guess Vex is no different than any other company. You have to get some people using them on the ice before we find this out. I'm sure people will buy them and post how they like them. This unit has been tested for several years to get it right the first time. I won't buy one until I find out how FL22 "owners" like them. If they don't work out, I won't own one. Not a real problem for me.
Tested? By who?  Real product testing includes real users (folks not necessarily associated with the manufacturer).  These guys may have an excellent product but the information that is out on the new Vex is only a sales pitch.  Let's see some real data.
Some companies are different, believe it or not.

I'm just saying my mind.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Aug 13, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Tested? By who?  Real product testing includes real users (folks not necessarily associated with the manufacturer).  These guys may have an excellent product but the information that is out on the new Vex is only a sales pitch.  Let's see some real data.
Some companies are different, believe it or not.

I'm just saying my mind.
Basically what I said in my last post. lol I read a bunch of propaganda (Marcum factory information) on here last winter myself. Maybe I'll buy a new HB this year. The crap doesn't seem to be as deep with the HB owners.  ;)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 13, 2010, 05:00 PM »
But consider this once...with the new 1/8" target separation anywhere on the range scale, I'm not sure if a variable zoom is all that much of a concern really.

The vex press release says 1/8" Target ID, not seperation.  Vex advertises this "ID" crap all the time, used to be 1/2", even though their target seperation was 2-5/8"

I'm not getting excited until I see an owners manual that says what the target seperation is.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #25 on: Aug 13, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Gotta agree with seeing an owners manual.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #26 on: Aug 13, 2010, 08:25 PM »
I guess we can expect to see a bunch of propaganda.  Terrible, given the amount of $$$$ we have to invest in a fishing tool to have some fun.
Anyways - I am going along with waiting to see one in use for myself before ever making a purchase.  :)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #27 on: Aug 14, 2010, 10:48 AM »
I guess we can expect to see a bunch of propaganda.  Terrible, given the amount of $$$$ we have to invest in a fishing tool to have some fun.
Anyways - I am going along with waiting to see one in use for myself before ever making a purchase.  :)
I would like to see an LX5 in action. I have never seen one on the ice where I live so it is hard for me to form an opinion about them. I do like the idea of $300 as compared to $550 though.  :unsure:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #28 on: Aug 14, 2010, 08:08 PM »
The LX5 is awesome - purchased and used one all last season.  I was able to "tune" it in for 8' w/weeds as well as 30 ft with hard bottom.  I can tell mud from rock on bottom and I can "see" walleyes on bottom.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2010, 01:37 PM »
I guess I'll have to wander around on the ice this winter and see if I can get a demo from someone that owns an LX5. As much snow as we have been getting around here for about the last five years, I haven't been on the ice as much as I would like to. I bought a 2010 F250 this spring and it will take some time before I will feel right about driving it on the ice. lol  :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.