Author Topic: ARTIC ARMOR.. SAVED MY LIFE 1/15/2011  (Read 15983 times)

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ARTIC ARMOR.. SAVED MY LIFE 1/15/2011
« Reply #60 on: Jan 19, 2011, 02:13 PM »
got to love the green bay edtion, 115.00 off into my pocket, bait for a couple of years

ICE REBEL

« Reply #61 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:06 PM »
IceRebel, I myself wear a 36w 32L and am 6' 235lbs and I have the XL and I layer underneath as you should and it is fine!
Thank you for the info. I guess i should get a size large.

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #62 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:12 PM »
Great to here your OK  ;D I just got mine at Christmas and love it................. Everyone on the ice should own one, you never know :o Old spearing holes, springs thats all it could take :P BE SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:38 PM »
Glad you are ok.  How deep of water were you in, when this happened, and what Lake?  My Dad, a few years back, was fishing with my Nephews, in a shallow bay.  He had to use the Latrine, so he started going towards the shoreline, when he went under.  He was in his 70's.  Thank the lord, he could stand on a rock, and pull himself back up, onto the ice, and bellycrawl, to the shoreline.  My Nephews, saw it happen, and started to come to help, but, he said to stay where they were, and he came home, to warm-up, and then went back up, to the Lake, to pick them up.  I know in my state, if your Vehicle goes under, the State charges you a fine, each day, because of the oil, etc, in your vehicle, that went down into the Lake.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:29 PM »
yes glad to hear your okay! i got the bibs this year myself but will maybe have to wait on next year fot the top, i love my bibs!

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline twodogs02

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is that battery failure?
« Reply #65 on: Jan 20, 2011, 11:09 AM »
I looked at these suits at the ice show in Syracuse this year.  The mfg was at the show and I asked him about these suits.  Although they will float a man, they do not meet coast guard PFD requirements, hence they do not bear the PFD designation. 

When I asked him if you are submerged and floating are you exposed to the water temperature, his answer was yes.  If you don't have picks and can't get out you are going to succumb to the cold water.  The suit will extended your time above the ice but so will a PFD which is what I wear on the ice along with picks.

In my opinion the marketing is a little misleading on these suites.  Ice fishermen can get better benefits from a PFD than these suits.  I wear a Vexilar coat and it is the best thing for stopping the wind and cold IMO, over that I wear an inflatable PFD with ice picks laced through my coat.  I believe I am better off with this set up than a suit that claims it will float me but doesn't meet coast guard requirements for a PFD.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #66 on: Jan 20, 2011, 11:31 AM »
I looked at these suits at the ice show in Syracuse this year.  The mfg was at the show and I asked him about these suits.  Although they will float a man, they do not meet coast guard PFD requirements, hence they do not bear the PFD designation. 

When I asked him if you are submerged and floating are you exposed to the water temperature, his answer was yes.  If you don't have picks and can't get out you are going to succumb to the cold water.  The suit will extended your time above the ice but so will a PFD which is what I wear on the ice along with picks.

In my opinion the marketing is a little misleading on these suites.  Ice fishermen can get better benefits from a PFD than these suits.  I wear a Vexilar coat and it is the best thing for stopping the wind and cold IMO, over that I wear an inflatable PFD with ice picks laced through my coat.  I believe I am better off with this set up than a suit that claims it will float me but doesn't meet coast guard requirements for a PFD.

Do you wear a PFD out on the ice? Or are you afraid all the other ice fishers will make fun of you if you do?

You should try one of these suits on. There's velcro straps that cinch down at the wrists and a draw cord that cinches at the waist on the jacket, the bibs have straps that cinch at the ankles... these straps and cords will help minimize water entering the suit. The suit will also let water drain out and will warm you back up once out of the water... wet clothes alone will not.

You should watch the video with the sound on to hear what the IDI rep says about this suit.

http://www.idigear.com/video-fox.php

No one will make fun of you out on the ice for wearing one of these suits, as a matter of fact you'll be a member of an elite group of smart ice fishermen.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 20, 2011, 11:45 AM »
Mustang and Browning also make these suits. I fell through a few years ago with my browning, I may have gotten out without it but you will get hypothermia very quickly without a warm suit. Mustang/Browning keep you upright, looks like ice armour makes you go horizontal, that might make it harder to get out (some also said you can't get your legs down). As for getting out, turn back to where you fell in and grab onto the ice, don't panic if it breaks away, it often will from being weak from the hole. Just grab again, kick your legs and hoist yourself out and roll (DO NOT WALK!) away about 10' to safety. I also reccomend lengthening the rope on your shelter because if it's close it also might go in. In my case two guys made about a 10' - 12' circle when we fell through. Also you will drop anything you are carrying automatically before you can think about it. Don't carry anything when you walk. Wear picks around your neck and with that and a suit you have a very high chance of survival.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 20, 2011, 11:51 AM »
To get out with the AA suit, you do a backstroke to the solid ice. Then a back scoot with the palms of your hands and butt, crawdad style.

It's in the videos.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline twodogs02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 20, 2011, 02:51 PM »
Do you wear a PFD out on the ice? Or are you afraid all the other ice fishers will make fun of you if you do?

No one will make fun of you out on the ice for wearing one of these suits, as a matter of fact you'll be a member of an elite group of smart ice fishermen.

Afraid people will make fun of me for being safe by wearing a PFD, you are off your rocker   :cookoo:   I'm going to be part of an elite group by wearing this suit?  I have heard all I need to hear....

Offline twodogs02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:03 PM »
If you want the protection in a suit - get a mustang, they meet Type III requirements for PFD devices and are very warm.  Not sure if Browning meets USCG PFD requirements or not.  I looked at the mustang suits but $500 was a little much for the short season we have here, a $120 inflatable PFD was my choice.

Get what works best for you but do some research, there is a reason why USCG issues ratings on PFD.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #71 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Afraid people will make fun of me for being safe by wearing a PFD, you are off your rocker   :cookoo:   I'm going to be part of an elite group by wearing this suit?  I have heard all I need to hear....

Thats what I was saying, I wear a Stearns life vest pfd under my warm jacket in the fall casting for muskies, why not ice fishing? Nobody would even know you were wearing it. you would not want to wear it outside of your jacket that would be too bulky, the life vest also helps keep you warm just like an insulated vest. I think the guy pushing these is a salesman for the company. A coast guard approved pfd is a safer bet and a hell of a lot cheaper. spend your money on good Under Armour long underwear. You don't need this suit to stay warm.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #72 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:45 PM »
Thats what I was saying, I wear a Stearns life vest pfd under my warm jacket in the fall casting for muskies, why not ice fishing? Nobody would even know you were wearing it. you would not want to wear it outside of your jacket that would be too bulky, the life vest also helps keep you warm just like an insulated vest. I think the guy pushing these is a salesman for the company. A coast guard approved pfd is a safer bet and a hell of a lot cheaper. spend your money on good Under Armour long underwear. You don't need this suit to stay warm.

Im guessing theres gotta be about 500 people on this site running this suit and i'd say 95% of the people are very happy with them. Its warm, its boyant, its reasonably priced.. what more can you ask for? I would have loved one of the nicer suits but for the money this stuff cant be beat. Nobody is saying not to wear a PFD, if you guys are that worried about it then do so. I personally have never worn a PFD ice fishing and I do the november 2-3" early ice thing, I feel I would stand a much better chance in my AA suit. Ive gone through the ice in heavy bibs/boots/hemp jacket and it was terrible, for 300$ this is simply cheap insurance. A quick rope toss from a friend and your running back to the truck to undress and warm up, ice picks would work just fine if your solo.

"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #73 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:12 PM »
There are guys on here b***hing about spending $3 or $4 on a tunsten jig. So now we are all to go out and buy $300+ AA that is not even coast guard approved as a pfd to save our life if we were unlucky to fall through the ice. I can see the law suit now when the first guy drowns wearing AA, But how could this happen? Some guys on the internet told me it was the safest, best flotation you could buy? It has to be true I read it on a internet message board!

ICE REBEL

« Reply #74 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Who is telling anyone to go buy it? No one. So i don't know what your problem is. I love how people b@tch about this kind of stuff when no one is telling you that you have to run right out and buy something. It is about what someone wants and what makes them happy. From what i have been reading about this suit the company seems to back this suit 100%.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:34 PM »
Why does it need to be pfd rated...  I dont get it.  It claims to be able to float like 350 lbs. or something!!!  Whaddya got a sticker fettish???  If you don't believe it can float 350 lbs. then lose some weight or ice fish from a row boat.  (BUT ONLY IF IT HAS A COAST GUARD CERTIFIED CAPACITY PLACARD THAT IS CLEARLY VISIBLE TO ALL OCCUPANTS).  The suit looks nice, Fits well (if you read the reviews), floats a generous amount of weight, and will insulate you from the weather when you exit the water.  Your PFD sticker will do nothing for your hypothermia.  "You can $**t  in a box and stamp a warranty on it!"
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:44 PM »
Mustang and Browning also make these suits. I fell through a few years ago with my browning, I may have gotten out without it but you will get hypothermia very quickly without a warm suit. Mustang/Browning keep you upright, looks like ice armour makes you go horizontal, that might make it harder to get out (some also said you can't get your legs down). As for getting out, turn back to where you fell in and grab onto the ice, don't panic if it breaks away, it often will from being weak from the hole. Just grab again, kick your legs and hoist yourself out and roll (DO NOT WALK!) away about 10' to safety. I also reccomend lengthening the rope on your shelter because if it's close it also might go in. In my case two guys made about a 10' - 12' circle when we fell through. Also you will drop anything you are carrying automatically before you can think about it. Don't carry anything when you walk. Wear picks around your neck and with that and a suit you have a very high chance of survival.

Actually, you DO want to be horizontal. The reason they say to kick your legs is to make yourself horizontal so you can pull yourself out easier.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Arctic Armor sounds awesome.  I got a budget or I would buy it in a heartbeat.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:50 PM »
Speaking from experience, I've worn both the USCG certified Mustang suit and the AA. There's no comparison to the comfort and mobility the AA suit give you over the Mustang. Wearing the Mustang suit is like wearing a suit made from every square inch of a heavy winter comforter for a king size bed while the AA suit is a fraction of the weight of a set of insulated Carharts.

The bulky thickness and weight of a Mustang suit is nice and warm when sitting outside in very cold weather, but will get too hot with just simple activities... and not only do you have to pull your own weight out of the water when wearing the Mustang, you have the added weight of the suit.

When wearing the AA suit and floating in the water horizontally, your body weighs next to nothing... and when you pull yourself out, the only weight you're dealing with is what is already out of the water.

I'm pretty sure the reason this suit hasn't been USCG certified is because the suit is a 2 piece suit and is meant for both pieces to be worn together for maximum effectiveness. I don't think the CG wants to rate it in case someone is just wearing just the jacket or bibs and should happen to drown for some reason.

or ice fish from a row boat.  (BUT ONLY IF IT HAS A COAST GUARD CERTIFIED CAPACITY PLACARD THAT IS CLEARLY VISIBLE TO ALL OCCUPANTS).

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Dang you HP!!!... you made rum and coke squirt out of my nose (because I didn't want to spew the monitor and keyboard)

Offline jitterbug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:16 PM »
x2 I just ordered mine about ten minutes ago.  Better safe than sorry.
I can't believe it but the suit came in today.  Looks great can't wait to try it out.  Not the floating part. ;D

ICE REBEL

« Reply #80 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:09 PM »
I can't believe it but the suit came in today.  Looks great can't wait to try it out.  Not the floating part. ;D
Wow that was fast. Let me know what you think of it when your out fishin thanks.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #81 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:13 PM »
you'll love it   keep ya warm    and safe as a side benefit
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:15 PM »
Glad your okay! 

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #83 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Hooter is best that your a live and thats GOOD your ATV can be fixed up.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #84 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:27 PM »
I can't say for sure, but I believe that in order to get something certified by the coast guard as a PFD you have to pay to have them test it and request that they do so and IDI didn't ask them to do this. Maybe this is the reason that IDI doesn't advertise it as a survival suit. If you want the certification, buy a mustang suit. It ain't rocket science.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Sarbinator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:23 PM »
ok guys ya talked me into it I just got home from D and R sports, how do the leg flaps work velcro one inside boots , zipper out????
So far it soooo comfortable , i have always been a carhart guy and this is nice ( im wearing it right now ) gettin a lil warm though.
Tommorow is test day 15 mph wind , -2 wind chill well see!!!

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #86 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:31 PM »
Is it possible to just order the pants? Would it have the ability to float a man with out the jacket? Just wondering....I bought the Vexilar jacket last year, but I need pants. If I need the jacket so be it. I would rather be safe than sorry.

RF

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:08 AM »
You won't get the full performance from the suit with just the bibs, you should order both pieces.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:35 AM »
Called them yesterday, left a message on there recorder to call me that I wanted to order a suit.  Tried calling this morning and again an answer machine.

I would like to order a suit from them and they have a sale right now but can't seem to talk to anyone.  Does anyone know what type of warranty they might have?  Like it should keep you a float in like 5 years from now ?

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:41 AM »
The insulation/floatation material does not absord water so you shold be good to go as long as the suit is good shape.

The one thing you can't do to this suit is expose it to high temperatures like standing next to a large open fire or putting it in the clothes dryer after washing it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.