New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Capital Region Thread  (Read 28057 times)

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
Re: Capital Region Thread
« Reply #90 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:32 AM »
I don't understand people who have time to fish, but don't have time to go look  ???. Lonely looked like open water yesterday from what I saw driving down the golf course road. Couldn't see much though, just bits of the east shore.

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #91 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Lots of stuff locked up overnight in Rensselaer County.  But we only have cold for two more days.

With warmer temps, sunshine,  and south winds coming on Saturday I just hope we're not back to square one.

Warren and Hamilton County's small waters are all set though.  3-5" and growing.  Probably gained a ton last night.  And I am not so sure they will get above freezing , except maybe Saturday, but it will be close.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #92 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:44 AM »
go to the dacks! 5-6 inches in alot of smaller waters. durant,adirondack,eaton all have safe ice

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Round lake was skimmed this morning.   Hey its a start better than open water.  I will be heading out thursday for a bit and sunday.
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:57 AM »
got the same word on ballston. praying for south bay this weekend. we will see.

hey round  you make out last weekend?

Offline icedauber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #95 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Thompsons and Warners skimed over this am. Still need another week.   :( :(
Flag Up!!!

Offline gettinjiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:25 PM »
     Were better off than the last 2 weeks, no rain in the forcast. We still managed to make it out local last weekend, same thing for this weekend just a different lake that's ready.

Offline cicnjshore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:03 PM »
Anyone ever fish Burden Lake, Crooked or Glass Lakes?  Or anyother the smaller ponds over thata way??? 

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #98 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Yeah I got out had a great day.    Really  wanting round to lock up so i can go down and try and land one of the lunker tigers that inhabit the lake.   Can't wait to hit ballston this year not much luck last year there but I got good feelings about that lake if it ever see safe ice.
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline gettinjiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:32 PM »
Anyone ever fish Burden Lake, Crooked or Glass Lakes?  Or anyother the smaller ponds over thata way???...I fish all of them quite often, open water and ice fishing.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:49 PM »
iv fished round a ton. more last summer then ever. never saw one. i know there in there i just have not seen one. im waiting for round to freeze for another species i wont mention on line. i found a little hunny hole over the usmmer and want to see if they are in that same area

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #101 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:11 PM »
iv fished round a ton. more last summer then ever. never saw one. i know there in there i just have not seen one. im waiting for round to freeze for another species i wont mention on line. i found a little hunny hole over the usmmer and want to see if they are in that same area

good luck Jimi, I found one of those too in the summer of '10, but they weren't there last winter.

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #102 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:17 PM »
Anyone ever fish Burden Lake, Crooked or Glass Lakes?  Or anyother the smaller ponds over thata way???

Burden gets a lot of action, plenty of pannies to be had through the ice.

Never bothered with Glass or Crooked, since they are sort of a bust in open water most of the time.  Guys fish them plenty in the winter (part of the Bailey Mtn Club Derby) but I don't hear much about success.

Trout in Glass are virtually a myth these days.  And the residents tell me the kokanee are all but gone.  But there are a lot of pickerel to be had, if that's your thing.  Other local lakes nearby aren't really worth the effort, in my opinion.  Burden surely tops the list of most productive winter fisheries around Averill Park.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Theres some big bass and pike in burden. Havnt seen any eyes in there. Anyone have any luck with them there?

Offline fishmonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:28 PM »
I've been wanting to fish on Burden-but where do you park? I heard if you park at the restaurant they'll tow
Meat is murder....tasty, tasty murder

Offline jig_a_fish94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Just park on the 3rd dyke road ( not sure of the name of it). You should just be able to pull over and go
FISH ON!!!

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:46 PM »
I been fishing RL hard for about 4 years now and I can tell you for the most part where you find them in the summer they wont be there in the winter.  Early ice is a exception when oxygen levels are good you can really get into them but come late season they really tend to huddle in the deep hole.  The red fins get to be a pain in the shallows they are nothing but bait stealers.     You know come to think of it I dont think there is any fish in round lake.  I dont think anyone should fish its a waste of time.   :roflmao:

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #107 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:17 PM »
I've been wanting to fish on Burden-but where do you park? I heard if you park at the restaurant they'll tow

Just past Kays Pizza.  Cross the causeway and park along the road.  You are good to go.

You will see plenty of cars there most days.  Even weekdays.  Pretty common pandish lake.

There are BIG waldos in there, but like the pike, they are pretty rare.  Yet a 13lb Wallace from Burden is pictured in the 2009 DEC Fishing Regulations.  It was a beast.  It's an odd fishery, and fickle.  But it produces.

Offline gettinjiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:36 PM »
     Neversink, I can change you're mind on any of the lakes you mentioned. But for a beginner trying to figure the ice fishing thing out you're no doubt correct. The success stories are quiet for a reason...

Offline cicnjshore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:07 PM »
How about Pikes Pond?  Anyone fish it and is there ice on it yet?  small so should be good????

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #110 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:51 PM »
     Neversink, I can change you're mind on any of the lakes you mentioned. But for a beginner trying to figure the ice fishing thing out you're no doubt correct. The success stories are quiet for a reason...

Im sure you can, man...  No doubt about it  :)

I live on one of the local lakes, and fish it religiously.  Like everyday, (almost) year round.  The only night I am not fishing is tonight, since the lake is skimmed over and I can't cast stickbaits, nor stand on less then 1" of the hard stuff yet.  I know my way around here.

That said, Burden still wins for fishing success over on this side of the river.

Offline gettinjiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:58 PM »
     I'll respectfully disagree but Fair enough man, I guess it's what you're targeting as well. maybe we'll bump into each other out there, Be good... ;)

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #112 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:10 PM »
     I'll respectfully disagree but Fair enough man, I guess it's what you're targeting as well. maybe we'll bump into each other out there, Be good... ;)

We've all got our own favorites and tactics, right Brother?   ;)

I'd love to hook up with you once the ice settles in, I am sure I could learn a ton. 

And I would be happy to pass along any input that might be helpful on 'my' lake.  I have a driveway that doubles as a boat ramp, and have a little knowlege about where some sunken structure just 'might' be located.  If we chase the same species, perhaps we could help each other out!  I am hoping the cold weather sticks around.  I'm already in withdrawel and this is the first night I haven't fished after work in a really long time.  Might have to spud a hole just past my remaining dock section and drop a bait down there.  3FOW is plenty!  ;D

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:00 AM »
Look's like the capital region is setting up nicely.  Think just about every lake and pond has ice on it.  Gonna try to get  out after work today for a while.   Tight Lines everybody

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:07 AM »
IF u get on round or ballston let me know.

For those of you who are wondering collins iced over the night before last.  ITS NOT SAFE. I stopped a guy from going out yesterday with his kid. Wasnt even going to check just started walking out. When I told him that it had just capped the night before he looked like he saw a ghost and rushed off the two inches of ice he was standing on.

I REPEAT !COLLINS LAKE IS NOT SAFE YET!

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #115 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:09 AM »
I'm sure there will be a few wet legs this weekend, and probably a couple unintended polar plunges. Can't fix stupid.

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #116 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Yeah gonna head over to lonely after work then down to round see if cant get something to jump out of a hole

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #117 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Careful on lonely, I saw open water there tuesday. Could only see a little bit from the golf course road though.

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #118 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:15 AM »
yeah I dont plan on being able to fish it just want to see how it is doing.

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #119 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:52 PM »
Went to Thompson's and Warner's today. Thompson's was open in the south and Warner's had open out by the Restaurant (not sure of the name) didn't get on at eighther just wanted to take a look.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.