Author Topic: DEP  (Read 3790 times)

Trooper Bri

Re: DEP
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:34 PM »
Don't forget the fact that these guys are essentially police in a different uniform. These are the same people that go in the woods and find convicted felons hunting illegally, with illegally obtained weapons. They bust dopers in the parking lots and roads of your parks, break up domestic situations at campgrounds, chase down tresspassing off-roaders (while avoid getting run down), and do it with the same meager budget the state allocates most municipalities these days. I have no problem being watched. Welcome to 2011. You're being watched everywhere.

Through the other site, I've gotten to meet plenty of EnCon officers over the years, and have been known to ice fish with another on occasion. ;) I have nothing but respect for what they do. Sure, not everyone is a social lark, but these guy go into countless situations where things may not be what they seem.
Winchester has (or had) a regular survey guy that spent his weekends walking the lake whatever the weather. Frank and I spent a season chatting with, feeding, and transporting the guy (sorry, I've forgotten his name) whenever he'd let us. If he wants to see my license, that's fine too.

Offline pikePERSUADER1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Northern Pike- all other fish are bait
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:42 PM »
i erased my original post because i dont want anyone to take it the wrong way, just sayin' because im in my mid twenties they seem to come up to me and treat me and my friends like they know were automatically doing something wrong, which couldnt be further from the truth, most of us fish tournaments and are also hunters and obey all game laws! i have been approached kindly though as well by an older gentlemen too!

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:09 PM »
TrooperBri is 100% correct.The same exact scene however that lowaccord posted i went through and because 8 guys weighed a fish on ball pond a ticket was given out for a tourney.If 4 guys go on the ice and say $1 for first fish and $5 for biggest is that a tourney?It is a tough question and DEP people in the field and with talks have no concrete answers.I know the tourney permit rules and apply and use them but dont fine 1 guy with 3 or 4 close friends because a tackle box scale is used.

Offline dtsoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:13 AM »
I use address labels with a wrap of clear shipping tape over it. Waterproof and easily removable. Tight lines.   :tipup:

Offline dtsoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:32 AM »
BTW, I agree with Trooper Bri. For the most part, these EnCon officers are decent folks. I know a number of them personally. Like everyone else, they sometimes have a bad day and may not be in a particularly jovial mood when they come upon you. I think we should all understand that typically they are making contact with unknown individuals (who are in many cases armed, as in a hunting scenario), in a relatively remote area where they are usually seriously outnumbered. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. I know that I would probably be a lot more cautious than they often are. Once they find you are squared away, they are usually quite friendly. I appreciate the fact that these folks are the ones who have to address the bad behavior in the field and on the water that gives the anti's ammunition. In that sense, they are helping to protect our hunting and fishing priviledges. Enough preaching from me, I hope everyone will be a little more appreciative and tolerant of what these EnCon officers do. Tight lines all!   :tipup: 

Offline Perfect Hook Set

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A true Lie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:53 PM »
The government is watching us more and more
Through the internet
Through our phones
Traffic cams
and much more

Now including checking our damn bait buckets on lakes where alewives are ok to use!!!  :P

In all seriousness it is good to see them more active especially when there are many people keeping too many / illegal sized fish along with not having a license.
As long as they are respectful I dont mind. I would like to be treated as an angler though not a murder.

What does an all water license cover?
Salt water
Lakes
Do they cover most reservoirs?
I know many reservoirs are free to fish with a permit but, you need to get a permit from that towns town hall (some only residents can fish the town res)

HELLLLLLLLP
Next time you go to cwood let me know how many fish you didnt catch.

Offline jigginup20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:23 PM »
All waters license is freshwater and saltwater, places like saugatuck and saltonstall still need their permits.  I am 20 years old and the officers are always nice to me.  As long as u give respect u will get it back in return.

Offline Perfect Hook Set

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A true Lie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Ah i figured

If I plan to go someone NEW where I'll post here before hand other wise just ask dep

Offline Gray Boat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:25 PM »
$87 bones for fishing without a license, plus a future license suspension.  http://www.jud.ct.gov/Publications/Infractions/Infractions.pdf

i just don't think you can predict when dep will show up.  there has been no ryme or reason to the times that i've been checked.  sucks to fish while looking over your shoulder.  kinda takes the relaxation and fun out of fishing...which is 75% why i fish.  the other 25% is pulling a prehistoric size diesel fish out of the hole!!!!!!

Trooper Bri

« Reply #39 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:26 PM »
I can't remember many incidents on the ice where I saw the DEP randomly selecting normal fishermen. They generally sweep the the lake or area.

Open water is another story. We've been boarded on the salt and fresh at random. A quick peek at out licenses, livewell, and minimum safety gear, and they're off. No big wiggle. And sometimes you can predict when they will show up. Cruise the CT river on a party boat during a major summer holiday. You're getting boarded. ;)

Offline Perfect Hook Set

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A true Lie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:56 PM »
well i guess they are coming out in full force all year

get a license follow the rules and you will save cash

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:46 PM »
I was stopped 3 times last year, 2 of the officers were friendly nice guys, the third guy seemed like he was  being inconvenienced.
It seems like before last year everyone know someone, who knew someone, who was checked. But no one had been checked themselves.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline dtsoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2011, 05:23 AM »
Yeah Fishville, it's like winning the lottery - everyone knows someone who knows someone whose cousin's fiance's co-worker hit for a bazillion dollars, but still, I have to agree with the post questioning whether it's worth always looking over your shoulder... It's a safe bet that DEP may make an appearance at some of the upcoming tournaments though. Tight lines.

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:08 AM »
Well I'm gonna share my experience with dep. It was the 4th of jan this year, I hit chimney point on candlewood without a license. I don't wanna hear why didn't you have a license this that an the other thing, it was still early in the new year and honestly I was a bit lazy and honestly had never been checked before. I have always obeyed fishing regulations to a tee up until this point. Anyways we went out for a few hours and didn't even get bit. As I'm hiking up the hill I see a dep officer waiting, very nice guy. Asked how we did. Was watching us for a bit before we came up. Got down to asking for licenses, my buddy had his so he was all set. When he asked for mine I was very direct. I didn't have mine for this year yet and I always do, so he asked for my last years license, (I wasn't sure if I had it cause I cleaned my wallet out a few days before and threw out my 2010 bow license) well luckily I had it (my old one) he then asked if I had any prior fishing violations and I replied no. He took my old license and drivers license and went to his car. Came back out with a written warning and explain how the cost of a ticket is 3 times as much as a license, I explained that I knew that. Also explained that next time I get caught i'd get hammered with everything in the book. Had a few more words about ice conditions in the area and he was off. Nice guy. I got lucky, and not sure why he cut me a break, I believe it was how I presented myself though. Needless to say I got my license the next day and all is well.

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:01 AM »
I've been asked for a license 3 times (total, not this year) and after hearing a story from a friend, I'm hoping to see more officers out and about. I heard (from someone I'd consider reliable) of a rogue party of anglers who use trout for bait and 2-3X the legal # of tip ups (no idea where they'd get that many trout!).... worse of all, they supposedly hit many of the same bodies of water that I do  :P 
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline Yukon Roz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:02 PM »
A friend I fish with got caught rthis year on lake williams without a license the warden let him fish till we left and told him to buy his license before he went to court and they would drop the case. Before he went to court he got a letter in the mail saying they dropped the case. So I believe the dep is alright and we should all follow the rules.

Offline Perfect Hook Set

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A true Lie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:30 PM »
I havnt got mine yet and now since I would like to get credited I will need to wait even longer since I will be seinding a check in the mail =/

If only they took debit or credit

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:57 PM »
i checked a few days after i sent my money in and it was ready to print on line in like 3 days, so i would just check the online licience page to see if yours is ready

Offline Shepabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Don't know how they've been in Connecticut lately but I've fished 2 days over here in New York and talked to wardens both days!!!!
The guys I had with me had each bought 1 day licenses,  I've got a season.

Both wardens were extremely nice, did not ask to see our licenses at all in spite of the fact that we both told him we were from out of state.  The guy that checked us at Lake George had us feeling like we'd t made a new friend when we left.  He was really nice and very helpful! 

Trooper Bri

« Reply #49 on: Feb 08, 2011, 05:44 PM »
The DEP mails you nothing. You have been assigned a permanent ID number with the new system. If you bought the 2011 license (and not a 2010 by accident), it's available to print online, or you can got to a tackle shop and get a re-print using your ID number.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:33 PM »
got checked at nite by one dep officer who walked up behind me, had my ipod on listening to tunes sitting in my chair close to shore on a popular eye lake felt a presence behind me and i jumped up an saw his dep jacket.  we chatted a little bit he looked at my license  asked if i knew if their was anybody else on the lake, i said i didnt know he then pulled out nite vision goggles and said nobody else on lake and i was like can i look thru those and i was amazed at what you could see almost like being in daylite so he had already checked me out knew how  many tipups, jiggin etc. my point being just cause you dont see them doesnt mean they are not out their checking things out, you never know whos watching. I was impressed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.