The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Inconsiderate fisherman  (Read 5449 times)

Offline habaneromoon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Incosiderate fisherman
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22, 2011, 02:58 PM »

this is a tough one and a touchy one lol.
 I kind of agree with grampieshanty in a way on this one, he is saying that they were there before the other guy, so it basically was first come first served, bomo is a big friggin lake, i know where the 88 is and there is a ton of space there, if these guys were there fishing at 88 the guy should have respected the area, while a shanty doesnt reserve the territory, if someone is fishing out of a shanty there should be a kind of "no fly zone" i know setting up in the dark sometimes its hard to see where others are fishing and when it gets light out you might say oops, but it sounds like this guy was knowingly setting up on top of them and that is B.S., handled correctly? eh, i think i would have been a tad ticked as well, the guy maybe should have shown a little respect and asked if it was ok to be so close.
respect is a 2 way street.

Offline HOOKonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:36 PM »
 ;DI know where #88 is and there are no fish there anyway! ha. Taylor Bayne would have beat him there also!

Offline ckashner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:00 PM »
maybe a blue shanty with a big yellow #48 would be better  :o

Offline ice dog Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Someone from that lime green shanty on Bomo this weekend must have drove their red 4wheeler through my tip ups about 20 times on Sat. Talk about inconsiderate.

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Someone from that lime green shanty on Bomo this weekend must have drove their red 4wheeler through my tip ups about 20 times on Sat. Talk about inconsiderate.
Was not me. there was however a guy fishing just to my north who was back & forth all day & to make matters worse came back sunday with truck & trailer drove thru all our jacks almost hitting several. So like I said,wasn't me.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline ice dog Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Was not me. there was however a guy fishing just to my north who was back & forth all day & to make matters worse came back sunday with truck & trailer drove thru all our jacks almost hitting several. So like I said,wasn't me.
Yeah, I was wondering why I didn't see him Sunday.

Offline Percheye101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:07 AM »
Really the only time I have been mad was when stupid kids thought my tip-up spread would be a cool race track for there car! I was so mad, even more after they ran over my brand new heritage.
[/quote

now that is uncalled for! I would have beat some #$$ >:(

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:56 AM »
if the rest of the lake is empty, then move.  if your lakes are anything like the spots we have here, there are too many people fishing to not be to close.  I don't have a shanty to "mark my territory" (b.s.) - so I show up early and mark my spot by fishing there.

when the ice is crowded, 15-20Ft is room enough.  I know it's not ideal - but like others have said, you can't own the ice.  As for being your established fishing spot for the last 7 years....you know that was someone elses' established fishing spot before you parked your shanty there right? 

share the ice boys - and don't forget the golden rule - do unto others....

...and stay away from my spot ;) ;D
Tight lines

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #38 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:26 AM »
I like to be far away so as to have some privacy when I need to answer the call of nature, and when you are built like the Lavman that can be a far distance, I'm just sayin'  ;D ;D ;D

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Inconsiderate fisherman
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2011, 01:48 PM »
this is the main reason i fish where i do now ...fishing derbies !
about 10 years ago i bought a shanty off a kid because he had no way of getting it off the ice , so to be nice i took care of it ...
slowly fishing there more and more that year i ended up fishing at least 4 days a week (was in school then)
well i had rarely seen anyone else fishing there and the closest shanty was 100 yds or farther...
come derby eve (i had been fishing there for a day already , never went home) guys , and buddies of guys from shanties started crowding me because "they always fished there"
so i became a little pissy but said "whatever" UNTIL i grabbed my tip-up to rig it back up after a fish was caught and went back to put it in the hole and there was already someone else's there  ???
the pecker waited til i turned around and dropped his in  >:( well it got heated and they were drinking more than fishing so i said "to hell with this"
i d rather fish away from everyone then catch any fish (like i do with hunting)
so i went across the lake with my shanty (which had been there from opening weekend) and found some fish...went back to get a buddy and came back to my new spot and someone was in my holes again !
i finally realized that's how this tourney was and moved to the only place with no one fishing ...been there ever since
i still get the guy that comes over to secure "his new spot" even though me and my buddies have our tip-ups up way in advance ...
then i cut the BS and tell them the deal , point to the shanties in site and name the people who own them and tell them if they can do the same be  my guest !
no one fishes hard all year but come derby everyone's a hero ...so since that year we go a couple days before and stay in our spots and get everything ready...sucks to have to do buy some people have no respect for anything !
maybe there parents need a kick in the sack !   ;D
sorry for the rant but irritates the sh!t outta me

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2011, 04:44 PM »
Sounds like derbies tend to bring out the worst in people.  ;D

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #41 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:18 PM »
My .02 is fish the lake without the derby. I have only fished
one derby (by accident). I compete at work and have no wish to be in a
psng match with other guys over spots on my few days afield. 
Long live derbies and drawing the crowds away from the rest of the lakes.

Offline iceman11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:00 PM »
I wonder is u would've posted this post if the inconsiderate fisherman was a 36d blonde haired 25 year old fisherwoman? Probably would've been pretty happy huh?

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:39 PM »
I wonder is u would've posted this post if the inconsiderate fisherman was a 36d blonde haired 25 year old fisherwoman? Probably would've been pretty happy huh?

that wouldnt have been a problem for me I would have asked her if she wanted to come in the shanty and fish for a trouser trout :icefish:

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline iceman11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Xactly so quit y'alls b***hin.  Unless u r doing this to feed your family then sure but otherwise suck it up.  This post has become pretty popular eh?

Offline lakergirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:31 PM »
In my opinion, peeing in your holes is the only way to mark your spot   :)   

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:50 PM »
I agree 100% with you woodad.  And what does "we had our spot clearly marked" meen?  I meen what the hell does that meen?  I have heard of a$$ holes putting up tape around the spot they think is theres, so no one fishes there.  Like a police tape off.  Yeah ok.  You don't own the lake.  If you don't have your tip ups set then to bad.  Early bird my friend.  One day you are going to yell at the wrong guy, and cops will be called.  It is illegal to harrass a hunter or fisherman in this state.  And yes it is even illegal for a hunter or fisherman to harrass one another too.  I would have called the game wardens on your a$$ and told them you were harrassing me. 
Gtting in on this topic a little late, but I fully agree. Having a shack on the ice seems to give many fishermen the opinion that they have staked out their claim to a sizeable area in all directions whether they ever show up to fish or not. This is especially annoying on small bodies of water where the "good" spots are well know and are few in quantity. If you aren't present to fish then you don't get a say. I will set up close to a vacant shack if it is where I want to fish, especially if there is little evidence of recent activity...and don't expect me to clear out if you show up mid morning. ;D ;D ;D 

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:55 PM »
first come first served, should have gotten out there earlier

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:39 AM »
i agree that you don't own the ice and can't do much about it, but i drew the line a couple years back when a couple of goons had their stuff leaning against my shanty and then told me about the huge fish they caught the day before in that same spot (the same day i fished alone from my shanty)

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #49 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:35 AM »
Although I never fish derbys, I have no problem setting up by a
shanty mid week w/tip ups heading in one direction. I would never
set up on derby weekend near shantys, thats a no brainer.

Offline hrlyridr77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:39 AM »
I know I don't own the body of water & any other time I may have not had a problem, but it was pointed out to him first by my buddie & then me we had  a large group of people fishing that day & therefore were going to be using a large area & hearing it from my friend first should have been all he needed to hear but he instead went from infront of my shantie to behind it & proceded to drill a hole. A simple sorry I didn't know would have been better than the attitude we got.

You didn't have holes drilled, your people weren't there - he was....

you don't own the water or the ice.

Tough crap - I'd have kept drilling if I was him - you can't "mark off" an area - you gotta be active fishing...

You shanty people are as bad as the lake residents - think you own the damn lake....
Sometimes it's not about the fish, but about the fishin'

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:32 AM »
Well you  can only fish straight down. I like my space but got over it when I started salmon fishing in NY.
I was ice fishing Lake Erie a few years back and I set up a good distance from the crowd. They weren't doing to well as it turned out. When I started catching some steelhead, the spot I started fishing alone got really crowded. My fishing buddy got really itched off. It didn't bother me much, until one guy drilled a hole about 5 feet from me and pulled out a 12 pounder. I still didn't get mad but was thinking that fish should have been mine. :-\
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Well you  can only fish straight down. I like my space but got over it when I started salmon fishing in NY.
I was ice fishing Lake Erie a few years back and I set up a good distance from the crowd. They weren't doing to well as it turned out. When I started catching some steelhead, the spot I started fishing alone got really crowded. My fishing buddy got really itched off. It didn't bother me much, until one guy drilled a hole about 5 feet from me and pulled out a 12 pounder. I still didn't get mad but was thinking that fish should have been mine. :-\

that sucks....5ft away on Lake Erie?  That's too close!
Tight lines

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:49 AM »

Tough crap - I'd have kept drilling if I was him - you can't "mark off" an area - you gotta be active fishing...

You shanty people are as bad as the lake residents - think you own the damn lake....
As i wrote in another post, we were there, had holes drilled, and were getting set up.at 430am. Try ed being nice to the guy & explained were it would be better to set up, but he in turn gave everyone who spoke to him attitude so inturn got what he gave. I have on many occasions welcomed other fisherman, even invited them for breakfast, or lunch. Never have I had issues with other fisherman & wouldn't with this guy, but it was total BS the way he totally ignored what we explained to him. Had we not had such a large group coming, half of us allready there I would have welcomed him & if we hadn't gotten attitude from him right from the get go also welcomed him. A little courtesy & respect goes a long way. I'm a pretty easy going guy & love making new friends on the ice, & as it tuns out the guy was offered  to come over & warm up as it was pretty cold that day.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Ever had some complete stranger help push or pull your rig out on the ice? Some guy in a shanty call you over to get your half froze kid in to warm up? Bore a cloverleaf hole so you could get that too big fish out? Ever stop to think how many of those complete strangers would risk their life to get you out if you broke through. Or heaven forbid drown with you to save a kid? We're all above this inconsiderate nonsence. Many of us owe a return favor to a stranger like above, many more will. Compitition on the ice may be in our nature, compromise of our principals should'nt be. Limit out on big ones, have a good time, if you want to be a jurk go into politics.

Offline frozenspike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Hated to do it but had to tell a guy to move on this weekend. It started with my buddy telling him to move on & was pointed in the direction away from our clearly marked area. When I arrived 15 min later I noticed a figure (as it was still dark) getting ready to drill a hole about 30 feet behind my shanty. When he finally heard me yelling, his response- I don't see any tipups. Hated to be rude but as he was being such a dumb a** & feeling he had every right to put a hole anywhere he chose, words that can't be printed here where used, & he went on his way. I just can't believe someone could be so inconsiderate to do this ,especially on derby weekend.

Dude read your own post, and stop changing the story. Your buddy told the guy to move 15 minutes before YOU got there. He was drilling 30 feet behind your shanty, "when he finally heard me yelling". Who the hell needs to yell at someone 30 feet away? I would have drilled holes all the way around your shanty. your buddy was WRONG, you were WRONG, i don't care how much sugar you try to sprinkle on this after the fact.  

Offline slimeslopper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • that's why that call it fishin, not catching
« Reply #56 on: Feb 26, 2011, 04:12 PM »
parents taught me to share and share alike.  keep yourself happy, make friends and cut back on the coffee.  I've helped so many people out on the ice, lending augers, gear, fixing tipups, giving bait away when leaving cause of some stupid rule, and warmth for a few minutes in the popup.  that said, the only stupid intrusions are in shallow water when someone shows up in the middle of a good bite that shuts off cause they power augered 32 holes.  of the snowmonuts show up at iriquois and start racing back and forth cause of a lack of snow, but hey, what goes aorund comes around right?  the fishing gods will stirke back.  Silence is the best policy and there are other spots.

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:41 PM »
I was fishing a local lake about a month ago and a old man and teenager set up about 30 feet from me. I wasn't too happy about it but oh well. Then they started hitting the ice with a spud bar. Now I was really unhappy because I was into some nice bluegill. Well, the 12+inches of ice must have been a little too much for them to spud through. The old man came over and asked me to drill him some holes. I was thinking you have got to be kidding me. So I went over and hand augered them a few holes. I augered the holes, because I have had people use my auger before and they would slam the blades on the ice, shure way to damage the blades real fast. I guess it was no mistake why they set up so close to where I was fishing.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline juniorshanty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • " TIP UUUP!!!"
« Reply #58 on: Feb 28, 2011, 11:56 AM »

Ya know what you mass holes are the worst, us locals find spots we like to fish regular, weekdays and usually every weekend. Bomoseen is the biggest body of water completely within vermonts borders and this guy comes out there for one day of fishin and sets up right on top of a shanty that has been in the same spot for seven years, with plenty of room around the general area for other fisherman. It's my shanty too, and like my dad said, we have welcomed plenty of fisherman we wouldn't have otherwise known  because they show common respect for giving a guy room to fish. Ive even said something to my own friends about bieng a little close to my jacks. On a small pond things are different and I wouldn't complain a bit, but as it's been said we tried bieng curtious to this guy, even showed him some other good spots nearby to set up, and he did nothing but give attitude. So on your next little weekend getaway to vermont when you set up right next to someone because it looks like they know the spot at least be friendly and maybe ask if they mind. RESPECT IS A TWO WAY STREET!
If you aren't catchin any fish, you're not drinkin enough beer!

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #59 on: Mar 03, 2011, 11:27 AM »
Ya know what you mass holes are the worst, us locals find spots we like to fish regular, weekdays and usually every weekend. Bomoseen is the biggest body of water completely within vermonts borders and this guy comes out there for one day of fishin and sets up right on top of a shanty that has been in the same spot for seven years, with plenty of room around the general area for other fisherman. It's my shanty too, and like my dad said, we have welcomed plenty of fisherman we wouldn't have otherwise known  because they show common respect for giving a guy room to fish. Ive even said something to my own friends about bieng a little close to my jacks. On a small pond things are different and I wouldn't complain a bit, but as it's been said we tried bieng curtious to this guy, even showed him some other good spots nearby to set up, and he did nothing but give attitude. So on your next little weekend getaway to vermont when you set up right next to someone because it looks like they know the spot at least be friendly and maybe ask if they mind. RESPECT IS A TWO WAY STREET!

respect is a two way street and you guys clearly gave none.  So why should this guy have given any back??   I hate you shanty people that think because your shack is there or has been there for years it is your spot.  You said it yourself....been there 7 years.  You really think that means you OWN that spot?  You talk like you do.  Give me a break.  If you want the spot be the first one there.  And not just one of your 7 man group.  All of you be there first or it is that guys spot for today and you can come back tomorrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.