The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Inconsiderate fisherman  (Read 5453 times)

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Inconsiderate fisherman
« on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:25 PM »
 Hated to do it but had to tell a guy to move on this weekend. It started with my buddy telling him to move on & was pointed in the direction away from our clearly marked area. When I arrived 15 min later I noticed a figure (as it was still dark) getting ready to drill a hole about 30 feet behind my shanty. When he finally heard me yelling, his response- I don't see any tipups. Hated to be rude but as he was being such a dumb a** & feeling he had every right to put a hole anywhere he chose, words that can't be printed here where used, & he went on his way. I just can't believe someone could be so inconsiderate to do this ,especially on derby weekend.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Incosiderate fisherman
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:34 PM »
i agree it is inconsiderate, but also you don't own the body of water either,  i ve had people set up right next to me before, i havent said anything until a flag goes off and a bunch of lines get tangeled, then i would have words

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:40 PM »
next time someone does it too you, walk over to them with the auger, drill a hole about a bucket lengths away, sit down and start fishing, when he asks the dumb question, just say, im doing exactly what you are doing, maybe they ll get the hint

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:47 PM »
i agree it is inconsiderate, but also you don't own the body of water either,  i ve had people set up right next to me before, i havent said anything until a flag goes off and a bunch of lines get tangeled, then i would have words
I know I don't own the body of water & any other time I may have not had a problem, but it was pointed out to him first by my buddie & then me we had  a large group of people fishing that day & therefore were going to be using a large area & hearing it from my friend first should have been all he needed to hear but he instead went from infront of my shantie to behind it & proceded to drill a hole. A simple sorry I didn't know would have been better than the attitude we got.

Offline iceholerVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:56 PM »
This has always been a tough one for me. I've been on small lakes with so many shacks you couldn't possibly not step on someones toes, and I've also had guys drill so close that our tip ups got tangled at each fish....  I've grown up and now beat them to the lake and get setup before daylight, well before the lazies, if they drill too close now, I usually let it go until the first tangle, then I cut their line, in about 10 places.  ;) :)

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Must have been painful
I like fishing. No point trying to argue.

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2011, 09:24 PM »
They're out there and they'll never get it.  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:42 AM »
It's worse right now because its Flatlander week vacation and they're the worse unless its someone jigging for perch for money(they're bad also !)

Offline jrendfrey58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:14 AM »
yes it is annoying but last i heard the lakes belong to the state of vermont. i agree with the guy said getting lines tangled i would have waited untill then to say something

Offline deeds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:49 AM »
I have had the same problem a few times myself. my  mood and my blood alcohol content determine how i handle the situation. We can agree to disagree if you want my spot get your shack out here before i do. If someone has jacks in stay away its called F@#$#@g curtious. Sorry I have no idea how 50 flatlanders fish on a 1 acre pond and i dont care Bomoseen is give or take 8-9 miles long. There is no need to get gear tangled up out here. anyway grampie did you or any of your crew get on the board? I finished last with a little brown that was 2.92

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:58 AM »
Im glad that I have never had problems with having some one set up to close to me.

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:19 AM »
Did you have any holes drilled?  Or are you just saying because you have a shack there it was "your" spot?  My biggest pet peeve is people thinking their shack gives them the deed to that spot.  I have been going to a small lake lately that is more of a pond.  This weekend I show up at there is a shack right where I usually set camp.  You can bet your *ss I set my tipups right where i usually do all around that shack. My buddy got all worried about the guy coming out and being pissed.  I was there first so therefor it's my spot today. I don't care if you have a shack there or not, that doesn't grant you ownership.  If you want the spot get there first.

And saying you have buddies coming is not enough.  They should have gotten out of bed and beat that guy there.  You're lucky it was him and not me or I would have been yelling right back at you as I set my line of 8.

Offline Dead Head on ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:35 AM »
I'm with you Woodab.  Just because someone sets up a shanty doesn't mean everyone else is off limits to the area.  80% of the time, no one is going to be at a particular shanty anyways.  Is everyone supposed to stay away anyways?  I have avoided areas I wanted to fish- trying not to be inconsiderate (too close to someones shanty), only to go on numerous trips and never see the shanty(s) occupied.

Offline anglerross

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:20 AM »
A shanty on a lake does not declare ownership,if the tipups occupy a large area I will ask for consent to drill a few holes to jig,and I have yet to be denied by  shanty owners.I don't feel that permission is needed so if the tipups cover a very  large area I will fish among them,you can yell all you want but that is harassment and illegal. Let's play nice.What is an acceptable distance from tipup to jig hole in your situation,in say 15 ft of water?If the flag goes up I would stop jigging and watch the action. I have never interfered with anyone's activities on the ice but attitude goes a long way to keeping me happy.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:38 AM »
Dave hit the nail on the head.  I have this problem a lot on the setback in Springfield.  There are so many shacks there and they spread there jacks for far out it's hard to try to  jig and not piss anyone off.  The best thing for everyone to do in this situation is to just communicate with one another.  I do this and I still run into problems with the locals.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline ckashner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:25 AM »
In the real ice fishing tournaments like "Ice Men"...the rule is no closer than 10 feet I think....I think we have all been on both sides of this issue...

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:27 AM »
Did you have any holes drilled?  Or are you just saying because you have a shack there it was "your" spot?  My biggest pet peeve is people thinking their shack gives them the deed to that spot.  I have been going to a small lake lately that is more of a pond.  This weekend I show up at there is a shack right where I usually set camp.  You can bet your *ss I set my tipups right where i usually do all around that shack. My buddy got all worried about the guy coming out and being pissed.  I was there first so therefor it's my spot today. I don't care if you have a shack there or not, that doesn't grant you ownership.  If you want the spot get there first.

And saying you have buddies coming is not enough.  They should have gotten out of bed and beat that guy there.  You're lucky it was him and not me or I would have been yelling right back at you as I set my line of 8.

Offline ssinvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:39 AM »

I agree 100% with you woodad.  And what does "we had our spot clearly marked" meen?  I meen what the hell does that meen?  I have heard of a$$ holes putting up tape around the spot they think is theres, so no one fishes there.  Like a police tape off.  Yeah ok.  You don't own the lake.  If you don't have your tip ups set then to bad.  Early bird my friend.  One day you are going to yell at the wrong guy, and cops will be called.  It is illegal to harrass a hunter or fisherman in this state.  And yes it is even illegal for a hunter or fisherman to harrass one another too.  I would have called the game wardens on your a$$ and told them you were harrassing me. 

Offline quackshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:49 AM »
If someone came up to me and started running their mouth and treating me like crap you better watch out I would lay then out on the ice. I show a lot of respect and when someone does something like that! That's wherew my nice guy act ends. I have a shanty out on the lake and if someone set's up next to me before I get a chance to set up I guess I should have been quicker then. I guess being a big guy kinda stop's people from setting up near me anyways.... ???
Quack Shack

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:55 AM »
I agree 100% with you woodad.  And what does "we had our spot clearly marked" meen?  I meen what the hell does that meen?  I have heard of a$$ holes putting up tape around the spot they think is theres, so no one fishes there.  Like a police tape off.  Yeah ok.  You don't own the lake.  If you don't have your tip ups set then to bad.  Early bird my friend.  One day you are going to yell at the wrong guy, and cops will be called.  It is illegal to harrass a hunter or fisherman in this state.  And yes it is even illegal for a hunter or fisherman to harrass one another too.  I would have called the game wardens on your a$$ and told them you were harrassing me. 

Agreed. If I want a spot and need a large area, I get there before everyone else. That being said, alot of times things can be worked out and you may even end up meeting a new fishing buddy

Offline NoFishInThisLake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:05 AM »
I was fishing the Bomo tourney too. I was out at 4:30 AM drilling holes. I come across some Champlain jacks lying there on the ice. I thought that it was odd. I stopped my string there and moved over. I thought that someone may have been fishing there and then with the thaw, the jacks fell over.

About 8:30 this crew of guys come out and start drilling holes right in between where a couple of us set up and put a string 10 feet from mine. I exchanged a couple of words with the fellas - an he says - "My jacks are right there"

The lazy SOB came out the day before and just laid his jacks on the ice. At least drill holes and set your jacks up, so that I can see them. I am not crazy about using jacks to mark territory, but I respect people that have them set up.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:08 AM »
This is interesting reading. In my opinion fishing is supposed to be fun and "non combative". I have NEVER in my 30+ years of ice fishing exchanged cross words with another fisherman NEVER. I don't think that has anything to do with luck but rather good sportsmanship.

Have fun out there and try to be civil, getting your blood pressure up over sharing the water is just not worth it.  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:33 AM »
Just to clarify a few things. I'm probally one of the friendliest guys out there..I know I don't "own" the lake, & any other time I would have no problem with someone setting up next to me & in the past have actually made some good conversation with others who have. There were jacks already set up & an area clearly marked with dummy jacks (first time i have done this) as I was expecting a large number of others half of who were already there at 430am with the other half showing up shortly later. The person who was asked to leave by first my friend, & was asked nicely & then got attitude was told why we had such a large area marked out & shown where it would be better to set up. He in turn decided to set up behind my shanty & was then asked by me to move & received attitude again & in turn explained to once more about the size of our group & where he should go. If anyone out there feels this was wrong on my part then you have that right, but tell me you wouldn't have been upset to get to your shack, at 430 am on derby day that's been in the same spot all year & same spot for 7 years . WE try ed being nice to this guy & in turn he thought he could set up where ever he felt like, so yes tempers were tested. I would never set up in an established area without asking first & the last thing I want is a confrontation but I'm not going to sit back & do nothing if I feel I am not in the wrong. I don't go out & scream at anyone I feel is to close to my area & this is the first & hopefully last time I have had this happen.

Offline WildFisherWomanVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:38 AM »
and also!!!!!!!!!  Inconsiderate are......

.....those damn ice kite boarders....  >:(

.....even worse.... the people who leave piles of cleaned barely legal pike in front of pull offs for all the non-fishing people to see that park there to enjoy the vista of the frozen lake....  >:(  >:(

then... theres the people that drill holes 5 feet from a shore access to flood the area and weaken access to the ice.  >:(  >:(  >:(

followed by idiots that drive their 4wheelers and snowmobiles through your spread and walk troughs with out asking if its ok....  :P

Then the glory is..... catching the big one while the one who sets up next to you catches... 0! ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:50 AM »
yes the kite boarders suck, if anyone fishes the sandbar they know the south side is heavily fished, while the north side not so much. you would think the the kite boarders could stay on the north side. God help the kite boarder when he comes through my spread and takes out my tip ups. his kite might be flying away with out him when i catch up too him!

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:51 AM »
and also!!!!!!!!!  Inconsiderate are......

.....those damn ice kite boarders....  >:(

.....even worse.... the people who leave piles of cleaned barely legal pike in front of pull offs for all the non-fishing people to see that park there to enjoy the vista of the frozen lake....  >:(  >:(

then... theres the people that drill holes 5 feet from a shore access to flood the area and weaken access to the ice.  >:(  >:(  >:(

followed by idiots that drive their 4wheelers and snowmobiles through your spread and walk troughs with out asking if its ok....  :P

Then the glory is..... catching the big one while the one who sets up next to you catches... 0! ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

The worst!!!!!!

Well said WildFisherWomanVT!

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:53 AM »
usually by the time i get off the ice my pike are stiffer than a board, dont clean them till i get home and get the slime off of them!

Offline WildFisherWomanVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:57 AM »
I have a strong desire to have kite boarders banished to the north side of the causeway by law... there's a designated time and place for everything   :tipup:
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Agreed. If I want a spot and need a large area, I get there before everyone else. That being said, alot of times things can be worked out and you may even end up meeting a new fishing buddy

First come first served!!!

Offline quackshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Really the only time I have been mad was when stupid kids thought my tip-up spread would be a cool race track for there car! I was so mad, even more after they ran over my brand new heritage.
Quack Shack

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.