New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Live Bait Use in NY  (Read 4048 times)

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Live Bait Use in NY
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:06 PM »
Thanks for all your effort crayfish Bob, Alot of us really do appreciate it. Oh and buy the way, I have yet to run into any millionaire bait dealers here in PA either, thought your critics would like to know ;D
Dang it ! I thought i'd be the first one.Guess that ain't gonna happen. I do what I do for the love, no, the passion of the outdoors. I'm very fortunate to be brought up in a home where trapping, hunting and fishing was not only accepted, but it was a big part of our lives. What today's society is doing to the generation growing up now eventually is going to weed out us true sportsmen. What alot of people don't realize we are a shrinking number, a minority among the masses.

I'm going to attempt to put this whole thing into the perspective of our lawmakers eyes.Mainly the federal government. Unfortunatly, I have no choice but to disagree with the DEC's with thier decision to allow dipping of infected bait by the general public. So here we go again :

If you look at how the original federal order was put in place, it was the food industry that needed protecting. Baitfish in general comprised of a small percentage of the gross national product. So then the wild cought minnows that we are all yabbering about on a commercial basis is like non-existant compared to the big picture of things. So in my opinion, then you have the one millionth percent of the people who is saving a few dollars dipping thier own bait. I have nothing wrong with this, but infected bait ? This very small minority of people have the ability to ruin our fisheries just because they are enabled to by the laws as written.

I hope this makes sense. Now here is part of where I got my information:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ceah/cei/taf/emergingdiseasenotice_files/vhsgreatlakes.htm

Then absolutley yes we must do something about LIVE WELLS and the tranferr of BILGE WATER. The dec only says practice safe boating, but who is going to remind everyone at the launches ? I propose signs posted at the launches. Particculary the ones in infected waters.

*edited 11:11 pm jan29

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline stickyfingerdpuppeter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2007, 01:13 PM »
Its not that we'd have to pay awhole lot more per bucket.It is a fact bait sales will skyrocket if we cant catch our own bait.Bet you havnt thought of that?????okay and your going to become a wholesaler.I have nothing more to say on this topic on iceshanty eccept why have you or captjj had nothing to say aboat kingfisher1 idea? the most logical idea yet."Stop bait use in all lakes not infected yet".I would love to here you explain why his idea is no good.Oh thats right you live by a lake thats not infected.And you sell bait there. CRAYFISH i learned at a young age to take a good close look at somones intentions.im done .peaceout

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2007, 01:29 PM »
I have nothing more to say on this topic on iceshanty im done .peaceout

Thank the Lord!!!!!

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2007, 02:09 PM »
FYI...

January 30, 2007, 10:43 AM EST

PITTSBURGH -- The state Fish and Boat Commission on Tuesday imposed a
temporary ban on taking live fish out of the Lake Erie watershed.

The ban is designed protect the health of the region's fishery by
reducing the potential spread of fish diseases, said commission
spokesman Dan Tredinnick.

Of particular concern is viral hemorrhagic septicemia, or VHS, a virus
that has been detected in the Great Lakes system in the last several
years. The virus has been linked to several fish kills and some fish
believed to carry the virus are used as bait fish.

The virus poses no risk to humans but causes internal bleeding in fish.

The federal government last year restricted the movement of 37 species
susceptible to the VHS virus.
Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum