Author Topic: New Derby Format  (Read 7107 times)

Offline PHD

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Derby Format
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Now that it's over, what does everyone think of the new format???  I think its great that anyone in any category can win..  Two of my buddies caught fish big enough to get themselves in the final draw, one of which has never had a fish on the board..  At the end of sunday, he was 15K richer :o  Could have been anyone, (but I'm glad it was him) and I think it will draw more people to the derby..   Great job by the Rotary... :tipup:    Of course this is my Opinion, and wanted to see what others think????
Trust me, there's plenty of ice..

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
Re: New Derby Format
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:14 PM »
I didnt like it from the start. Probably never will. Everytime the subject comes up I will kick the horse again. Congrats to your buddy though. Hope they change it to biggest overall fish.

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:16 PM »
Now that it's over, what does everyone think of the new format???  I think its great that anyone in any category can win..  Two of my buddies caught fish big enough to get themselves in the final draw, one of which has never had a fish on the board..  At the end of sunday, he was 15K richer :o  Could have been anyone, (but I'm glad it was him) and I think it will draw more people to the derby..   Great job by the Rotary... :tipup:    Of course this is my Opinion, and wanted to see what others think????

I agree. I think it gives everyone a shot at winning. although I was not even in contention this year or any other year for that matter LOL, I think it is a better way to go.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:16 PM »
only 5k tickets sold....isnt it usually like 16k? it was different not sure how i feel about it ....

Offline PHD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:18 PM »
only 5k tickets sold....isn't it usually like 16k? it was different not sure how i feel about it ....
I asked the people about ticket sales when I was weighing my fish and they said it was right where it usually is..   

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:20 PM »
I didnt like it from the start. Probably never will. Everytime the subject comes up I will kick the horse again. Congrats to your buddy though. Hope they change it to biggest overall fish.
come on now swampy you know it is the better way to go. Hope you are feeling better. The mind is like a ship at sea it will sail right when in calmer weather so will your thinking improve when you are feeling good. looks like you still have a little touch of the flu LOL.

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:24 PM »
come on now swampy you know it is the better way to go. Hope you are feeling better. The mind is like a ship at sea it will sail right when in calmer weather so will your thinking improve when you are feeling good. looks like you still have a little touch of the flu LOL.
When you enter a fishing derby one would think it is for the big fish correct? When I explained how the derby worked to my freinds back home in Maine they looked at me like I was slow and all gave the same response. "Well thats ^&**&^% Stupid. If you like drawings for money I suggest ya go to the beer store and buy a scratch card or a powerball ticket. I for one am sick of the everyone wins mentality.

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:25 PM »
And thanks I am feelin better!

Offline 6wheels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:01 PM »
Well all I can say is I hope all you fellas that thought you had this won with your 8 dozen shiners and your 6 traps are rolling in all the prize money!!

Offline DovaIceFisha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:11 PM »
i cant say im crazy about either format.. It used to kill me to see a 2 lb rainbow win the wheelers year after year. If they had stalked bigger trout i could have understood that. Although i finally saw a decent tagged one on the board(obviously a holdover). This format atleast it was someone that won a category at some point this weekend. Do i think the winner of any derby should be picked out of a hat, absolutely not. I dont know if biggest fish should win because i think cusk would win it too often and for the most part setting traps on cusk doesnt seem worthy enough for me. Just my opinion. It was definetly weird seeing the board with so fewe rainbows on it this weekend. All in all i dont think it will ever be perfect, but hopefully they send out the questionaire and get some feedback from us this year and maybe make more changes.

Offline PHD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:17 PM »
Well all I can say is I hope all you fellas that thought you had this won with your 8 dozen shiners and your 6 traps are rolling in all the prize money!!
;D ;D ;D ;D   hey, Im the guy that talked to you on shore the day you got your bob house out of the hole...  Was it crazy busy out there for the derby???

Offline kl3377

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Congrats to your buds, personally I do not like the new Derby.  I also don't buy the "ticket sales were right where they usually are."
A watched lake never freezes.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:40 AM »
I like it...spreads fisherman out throughout the state
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline cold waters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:50 AM »
Yup, I like the format.   Biggest overall fish is just a laker and or cusk derby and that would be dumb.  Tickets sales were down about 10% according to a guy in the rotary trailer (approx 400 less) and that could have been WX related.
The Harder I try, the luckier I get!!

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:06 AM »
Maybe they should do it so the biggest fish in each category wins a couple grand. With some smaller prizes for 2nd-5th place. Kind of not a big fan of the lottery thing.
That would be better. The second biggest of any catagory should NEVER win any derby. Which is what happened this year.

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:35 AM »
I like it. I didn't fish it this year but will next year. I am not a trout fishermen so at least with this format I have a chance ;D
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My wife said its her or the Vexilar,we'll miss her
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:00 AM »
so let me get this right?the second biggest fish "WON" the derby?What did the biggest fish win?wow ???? great derby!Why call it a derby if the biggest fish doesn't win?lls
If everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishingpoles.......... ..............Remember we all live downstream

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:07 AM »
That would be better. The second biggest of any catagory should NEVER win any derby. Which is what happened this year.

I would agree with that divide the money amonst the biggest fish of each catagory but don't make one anymore important than another , all largestspecies win the same, same for second  and third.

Offline PHD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:20 AM »
so let me get this right?the second biggest fish "WON" the derby?What did the biggest fish win?wow ???? great derby!Why call it a derby if the biggest fish doesn't win?lls
Not the second biggest out of all fish.. It was the biggest on the second day, which per the new format qualified it for the grand prize..  "THE NEW FORMAT" 

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:36 AM »
It was the second biggest white perch that won. Word it how ever you want.

Offline Lv2airchr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:47 AM »
I agree that the biggest fish in every category should have a chance to win. But havering the tagged trout in the lake for a chance to win a separate prize would be good also. To me it was always hoping to get a tagged trout while fishing for the big one. That's my two cents. It's still a great time and they do a great job doing it.
Uncle Dave

Offline jimwaldron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:24 AM »
The new derby format gives everyone a fair chance,I think.It is much better than the old system.There is also nothing wrong with some ordinary fish winning prize money.The prize money could have been spread out a little differently. But there are a million ways to do that, and The Rotary always does a good job. The biggest complaint I have with it is that they hold it too early in the season.I believe and I know a lot of other people have agreed with me that the derby should be held on either end of one of the school vacation weeks. This  would encourage more kids to give it a try. THANK YOU MEREDITH ROTARY.  and to all of those who participated.

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:49 AM »

I dont fish the Winni derby so I have no horse in the race, but here is my opinion...

The grand prize is now still a large part "derby" - you need to catch one of the biggest "daily" fish in one of the 7 species categories, and then part "lottery."  There are pro's and cons.  While its an achievement to get your name on the top of the daily list, as others have said - should the second biggest of a species win?  Should a "big" fish win when a true "trophy" or "giant" in another species or another day is caught?

The system I kind of like is the LCI "points" system where each species is assigned a points/lb based on average sizes, and then the highest point scoring fish - any species - wins the grand prize. It tries to award the grand prize to the "best fish." However, a major downside of this is that it all depends on the "points/lb" assigned - if those are skewed, so is the derby....

I suppose if the rules are clear before tickets are sold, and they dont change, no one who chooses to enter should have any gripes...

???

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:17 AM »
I wish they would adopt an LCI format for points, as well as the Spring Salmon derby. The LCI you also get bonus points on bringing in the fish alive, and for whatever reason NH F&G frowns upon keeping anything alive, so all the fish must be killed. Either way, the points system is a great idea Paul. Would really sort of even out the playing field so to speak...it could still mean a 3lb yellow perch wins it all, yes i know I'm just exaggerating the size of the fish, but it would be the highest point total for its assigned value.

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:57 AM »
If they make it the biggest overall fish, then it would have to be strictly a laker derby. Then the laker population would get hurt and  yada yada yada.

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:25 AM »
That's why they are there. To be caught

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:50 AM »
I'm a little torn....sorta like the new format but don't like that the 2nd largest in 1 out of many categories takes 15K.  It does give more people a chance to win; however, at the very least, the largest fish in each category for the weekend should have been entered for the grand prize.  Not the largest each day IMO.  Furthermore, since there are so many species, they should spread the $ around more and pay evenly to the top fish in each category if they are not going with the largest fish overall and especially since they've gone to an all cash payout.  Have grand prize winners in each species division.  I would like to see that as my first option since the largest overall really does make it just a laker derby for the most part and crowds the bigger lakes.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:02 AM »
I'm a little torn....sorta like the new format but don't like that the 2nd largest in 1 out of many categories takes 15K.  It does give more people a chance to win; however, at the very least, the largest fish in each category for the weekend should have been entered for the grand prize.  Not the largest each day IMO.  Furthermore, since there are so many species, they should spread the $ around more and pay evenly to the top fish in each category if they are not going with the largest fish overall and especially since they've gone to an all cash payout.  Have grand prize winners in each species division.  I would like to see that as my first option since the largest overall really does make it just a laker derby for the most part and crowds the bigger lakes.
First, second and third for each day-all species payout. The lower placements in each fish category per day-should go into the lottery for payouts :)

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:06 AM »

I suppose if the rules are clear before tickets are sold, and they dont change, no one who chooses to enter should have any gripes...

X2
Or organize your own derby and see how many people complain how you run your derby ;)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:34 AM »
Maybe have top fish in each species win for each day seperately, and spread the payouts out over 2 days?
The prizes will be lower overall, but there would be more chances to win.
Maybe have a special prize for largest tagged trout?

Maybe have more than one weigh in station, since it takes a awhile to drive to Meredith Harbor AND find a parking spot if you are weighing a fish?
Have one up in Wolfeboro or down near Alton Bay?

Just thinking outside the box.....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.