Author Topic: Pike caught on Winnisquam  (Read 11147 times)

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike caught on Winnisquam
« Reply #60 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:36 PM »
baitbucket biology is when a NH fisherman goes to anyother state any realizes what he or she is missing. In any way not smart but im thinking like a last resort ill do it myself type thing. I really doubt money is the biggest worry. Access to most water bodies is tough the state sold all the land out from under themselves.

I don't think a NH angler goes to another state,  realizes what they're missing and decide to take stocking a species that does not belong in a certain body of water. It's because they don't care , and don't care about what possible damage could become of it. Money is a big worry , it's why the F+G is under staffed , and under funded to do projects. And you say the state sold land from under themselves , why would that be ?? money perhaps ..

The biggest gripe I have with NH is the fact that the states around us have MUCH better fishing. You will never see real trophy fish come out of NH waters. Its just not going to happen. Plus Conn's out of state license is almost the same cost as our resident license.. Now before you get started, I realize its based on the total number of licenses sold. So I realize why it is that way, but having said that I think NH could do a lot more for the fishery then they are. Thats one reason we started the NH Ice Anglers. As with any other association it is tough to get people to put their hard earned money into something, but to everyone that has been complaining...I don't recognize many of you from the members list.

All depends what you consider " trophy fish " . And the put and take mentality wins , by keeping alot of fish. Because someone bought a license and are entitled to keep their limit everytime out. Not preaching c+r because I do keep fish , not alot and not all the time.

I'm glad winnisquam guy brought this subject up for some discussion , as bait bucket biology is illegal and if they're are any numbers of pike in winnisquam they will do some damage .  ;D

Offline JDN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JHM
« Reply #61 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:42 PM »
 NH fish and game should net some of those walleyes out of the Conn river in the spring and stock them in the Merrimack and lake Massie.A fish that breeds, no stocking ,good to eat,Yep dreaming again !!!!Dreaming about a public boat ramp on cobbetts too!!!  ::) ::) ::)

Offline coreyl302

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fish NH
« Reply #62 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:29 PM »
Dull Hooks whos to say what belongs? Not much is native to the northeast like the trout I like to fish for. Im not saying doing what you want is right but its human nature to better ourselves. We see a guy catch a big pike or something along those lines and we wanna top that. Im not a fan of seeing pike in NH but why not? Does it affect what you like too much. Most of the fish stocked here are not native that doesnt hurt anyone that jigs up a white perch. There arent enough F&G officers because less people apply every year. Moneys always a problem with anything so thanks I get that. Im just saying NH F&G please take some GD surveys make an attempt to catch up with people want so I dont have to worry about jackasses taking it into there own hands because the only way to get around them is throw them a bone. Not everyone takes the pride I do in a 15" rainbow so I hope things change so people have a place to fish and not worry about creating one.  
It's the journey, not the destination.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:03 PM »
I'm pretty critical of getting my $ worth. NH F&G have always been on my list of concerns in this area. Plenty of money has been spent by them and in my opinion mis-managed in the past. As an almost exclusive bass fisherman in the past I did not see where my license money was going with the cost and protection of the cold water fishes in NH. And now fishing more for the cold water stuff, I have confirmed that there is a lot of effort and money with these programs.

I too would love to see more species in ponds and lakes that are quite empty and void of fish or quality fishing. Kimball pond is minutes from my house. It has a clean full out boat ramp with paved parking. On a dirt road no less. Very nice facility. However, the fishing is the worst.  Nobody ever catches anything. I have sent emails to F&G and consulted with others that have done research on this place. Fish never stuck. Water was too tanic and low in oxygen to support any game fish except a few pickerel.

They are the experts and have biologists working for them to best determine what is right, what will work, and test things out. They do watch out for us and have had success to many of their projects. For this I support their efforts and of course follow all the rules.

And from my experience NH is better fishing than most of VT and MA. Maine still has us beat but a much bigger state with a lower population. MO

Now, anyone know where can I dump that snakehead I need to get rid of?  ;)

Offline bullgil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:50 PM »
just my 2 cents, smelt run in deep deep water well below where the crappie would be. as far as f&g goes, there are too many people and money involved in the "put and take" programs, ie salmon, rainbows, and other trouts. if they realy wanted to give us a great fishery for our money, they could stock walleye in winnisquam and winnipaskee for 2 or 3 years and be done with stocking. walleye and crappy and pike all will create there own "replenishment"! then the guys that have made a career out of "put and take" hatcheries can go get real lobs like the rest of us.

Offline coreyl302

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fish NH
« Reply #65 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:23 PM »
Im confused to why when the thousands that fish in NH for the rotary derby theres rarely a bow over 4lbs. Im not all about bigger better but I know the bigger the wiser. My question is if the trout around here dont reproduce maybe were not doing the right thing by stocking them and thats just the same as "baitbucket biology" we just trust whos doing it. I do love the state of NH and take pride in being from this state. But even trolling for salmon on the big lake is a joke now everyone I get to talk to we caught alot just nothing over 16" And to top that the last three keepers I caught were wormy. Even going the to winni derby awards they enter so few salmon now. At least we have crappie now I can cope with life ;)
It's the journey, not the destination.

major ice hole

« Reply #66 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:17 AM »
Smelt are perhaps the most important forage species for our coldwater sportfish. Lake trout and landlocked salmon are dependent upon healthy populations of these bait fish in order to attain good growth and body condition. Rainbow trout also prey upon smelt, although they thrive upon a great variety of other food items.
The addition of Crappies to Winni just puts more strain on the smelt, there's going come a day when the bait fish will run out.
I agree on the importance of smelt as you point out but when thrown in with all the other compeditors all ready in the major lakes I dont think crappie will tip the balance. I wonder though if pike were in the lakes would they not prey on these competing species for smelt more than not?(I'm NOT trying to pick a fight!) Just a thought.

Offline LT-taker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:03 AM »
 This thread could, and might go on and on.. They are in there, and I'm fine with that!!!      Good luck out there... :P :'(
Wow, didn't see this coming!!! ???   Oh, and I read on here NH has much better fishing than VT...
 Well that's a can of worms I won't open.....VT gets my vote..  Much cheaper too!!!
Work....... Plenty of time for that in the summer...

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #68 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:06 AM »

No problem. I agree about  Vermont having the better fishing. NH wasted time and money on that stupid fish ladder on the Merrimack River. That money could of been better spent. Jmo
Not 100% sure, but I believe PSNH paid for the fish ladder on the Merrimack seeing as they own the dam.

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:16 AM »
To those complaining about the fishery in NH, ask your self this. Have you caught a trophy? What is your definition of a trophy? How much time do you put in? Do you switch it up with new places. If you catch a trophy fish every trip, is that really a trophy anymore?

I put in plenty of time and money to catch and find trophy fish. Trophy in my mind, maybe not everyones. They are there, you have to search and invest time. If you only fish once a week, hit up Winni every time and not catching YOUR trophy, ask yourself why? It's not the states fault, other people are catching them, what are you doing different?

If you are not happy with a body of water, go to a meeting, figure out a solution and present it. Or just say F that place and go find a new honey hole. Put in time, the fish will come
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline icubist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:11 AM »
Its "their" and not awesome at all, they will eat all the Salmon and other fish that are trying to have a sustainable population in that lake. They didnt occur there naturally, so they shouldnt be there at all.

That being said, I wouldnt mind catching one.....

You are as funny on the board as you were at the show!
Nice working with ya and maybe see you and your fishing friend on the ice sometime.
You are not a good spelling nazi...
 signed,the big bald guy.
Don't be an ass, pick up your trash!

Offline Bean town Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Come on guys Fishing is like hunting you have to get a few spikes maybe a few 4-6 pointers before you get that trophy it takes work and knowledge and finding the trick that will work your in their pond their back yard and the trophy probably has seen it all now for fishing in NH I prefer NH to my home State of Ma because of what i prefer to see for scenery not the next guy next to me with no licence taking more than a fairshare when I ponied up my fee and see fish and game tell them to dump their bucket and take their rods and watch them leave with no ticket because nobody wants to do paperwork

As for more species in the water it could mean more fish to catch and they could do it lake by lake stream by stream river by river by what will thrive there the best and maybe selfsustaining :o

NH F&G gets alot of money from out of state patrons as my self 53$ for fishing around 90 something for all my Archery tags and now thinking of the gun season which is over a 100and something and Im not the only guy like this  they get good money where it goes is probably political like Ma just not Scandalous like Ma ;D

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 13, 2010, 02:03 PM »
i fish vermont all the time way better fishery especially lake champlain that place is just plain amazing if you havent fished it you really should i love fishing for all species and that lake is the place to do it we dont have that around here i have a spot were i fish for pike up there then drive 100 feet with my boat and salmon fish illegal stocking is wrong but before we go and demonize pike lets see how it affects the lake non of us are bioligists so what do we know ?

catch pike like its my job

Offline Wakefieldfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:52 PM »
Nhpikeking's right. To compare the fishing in NH to Vermont is just foolish. I've sat in a small cove with my wife and caught 6 lb pike. 8 lb lakers, huge yellow perch, blue gills, and crappie all in the same day ice fishing. I've also fished there every spring and caught pike, largemouth, smallmouth, white and yellow perch, sunfish and blue gills, big catfish, bowfin, gar, rock bass, sheepshead, walleye, and bull head. If you've never fished

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:04 PM »
There was one time in NH where I caught an umbrella, does that count for anything. It sure was big and hard to bring in......well it's my trophy and no one will take that away from me

The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #75 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:10 PM »
There was one time in NH where I caught an umbrella, does that count for anything. It sure was big and hard to bring in......well it's my trophy and no one will take that away from me

It's ok as long as you didn't transport any of the offspring anywhere else. ;D

Offline JDN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JHM
« Reply #76 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:33 PM »
just my 2 cents, smelt run in deep deep water well below where the crappie would be. as far as f&g goes, there are too many people and money involved in the "put and take" programs, ie salmon, rainbows, and other trouts. if they realy wanted to give us a great fishery for our money, they could stock walleye in winnisquam and winnipaskee for 2 or 3 years and be done with stocking. walleye and crappy and pike all will create there own "replenishment"! then the guys that have made a career out of "put and take" hatcheries can go get real lobs like the rest of us.
 This makes too much sense!!! Gators and Marble eyes Fish and Game!!! ;D ;D

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:29 PM »
The biggest gripe I have with NH is the fact that the states around us have MUCH better fishing. You will never see real trophy fish come out of NH waters. Its just not going to happen. Plus Conn's out of state license is almost the same cost as our resident license.. Now before you get started, I realize its based on the total number of licenses sold. So I realize why it is that way, but having said that I think NH could do a lot more for the fishery then they are. Thats one reason we started the NH Ice Anglers. As with any other association it is tough to get people to put their hard earned money into something, but to everyone that has been complaining...I don't recognize many of you from the members list.
send me a link to nh ice anglers assoc.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:33 PM »

I don't think a NH angler goes to another state,  realizes what they're missing and decide to take stocking a species that does not belong in a certain body of water. It's because they don't care , and don't care about what possible damage could become of it. Money is a big worry , it's why the F+G is under staffed , and under funded to do projects. And you say the state sold land from under themselves , why would that be ?? money perhaps ..

All depends what you consider " trophy fish " . And the put and take mentality wins , by keeping alot of fish. Because someone bought a license and are entitled to keep their limit everytime out. Not preaching c+r because I do keep fish , not alot and not all the time.

I'm glad winnisquam guy brought this subject up for some discussion , as bait bucket biology is illegal and if they're are any numbers of pike in winnisquam they will do some damage .  ;D
putting my house out on winnisquam this wkend, i'll post more info about this if i see them, i have fished this lake for 20 years now, these are the first pike i have caught there

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:42 PM »

i caught a hoodie on my 6 weight fly rod on the pemi, beat that man

Offline pikefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:47 PM »
caught a chair once

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:47 PM »
I was fishing winnisquam on saturday and the guy behind my house caught one around 10 lbs and lost it in the whole I saw the fish it was a pike he lifted it out of the hole instead of gradding the fish he was to excited
what area

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:07 PM »
i caught a whole bmx on a deep running crankbait lol then a brick but if anymore pike are caught up there let me know i might give it a try i love the lakes region anyway

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:26 PM »
i caught a whole bmx on a deep running crankbait lol then a brick but if anymore pike are caught up there let me know i might give it a try i love the lakes region anyway
OK, ever fish Gould pond in Hillsboro? Hitting Granite lake tomorrow

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #84 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:36 PM »
We hit Gould's in the summer for Browns. Its like a forgotten lake for most. Ramp could be better but than there would be more boats I guess.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:52 PM »
theres about 6 shanties on gould i fished it first ice and nuthing, heard its been really slow all year. Good luck down at granite that place is always good for bows and ive heard of a few big brookies being caught this year havent heard anything on the lakers outta there yet

Offline Green Puffin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slammatime!
« Reply #86 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:28 AM »
i feel like this thread comes up every year bashing fish and game. well looks like i'm a little late to get in on the bashing! oh well. i think i'ma be fishing mascoma this weekend, never fished it but looks like a fun lake.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:30 PM »
We hit Gould's in the summer for Browns. Its like a forgotten lake for most. Ramp could be better but than there would be more boats I guess.
the lake is open to ice fishing, it looks interesting to try it, did you catch any browns?

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:02 PM »
i caught one brown there 2 years ago open water a little over 3 pounds

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.