Author Topic: Charging fish house batteries  (Read 2501 times)

Offline kchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Chopper, the minnow eater
Charging fish house batteries
« on: Feb 15, 2015, 09:20 PM »
Trying to figure out the best way to charge the 2 batteries in my fish house for this weekend.  I'm taking the kids with me and I want to hook up a tv/dvd player to an inverter off of my batteries.  I don't have a generator yet so I was wondering if anyone ever charges their fish house batteries with jumper cables off of an idling atv?  I know it's not an ideal situation but it's all I got for now.  We will be spending the whole weekend out on the lake so I doubt the batteries will last that long. And I know playing a movie every now and then will keep them occupied when the fish aren't biting.  I plan on buying a generator for next season so this is pretty much just a one or two time deal. 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Charging fish house batteries
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2015, 06:05 AM »
All comes down to how big the Alternator is on you ATV, most are not big enough to do much... Look up it's size, then you can do the simple math...

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2015, 06:40 AM »
Might seem like a pain, But better choice would be to pick them up and take them home.    Let them warm up and place them on a good slow charger.  Not sure of how low you have let them get, but batteries will freeze if not charged.  You do not want to try and charge a frozen battery. 
A full charge will ensure that you wont have to worry about "dead" batteries over the weekend... or worse yet, frozen / destroyed batteries.

Offline eye-getter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:47 AM »
I can fish for 24 hours maybe longer on two fully charged d-29 deep cells in my fish house.  When I got home I checked my batteries with a multi-meter and still had 12.48 volts. They started out at about 13 volts.  I have a 12 volt forced air furnace, led lights, 12 volt tv with built in DVD player. inverters take power to run so that is why I went 12v all the way around. Any kind of stray voltage will take juice also IE little lights on equipment so I have everything switched to make sure there is nothing going to it is off. I have not went any longer then 24 hours, because I have a two bank on-board charger and a Honda generator that I will run at night when I go to bed. Maybe get another battery and make sure all of them are fully charged.
Tight Lines

Offline eye-getter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:18 PM »
How did it go?
Tight Lines

Offline kchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Chopper, the minnow eater
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:33 PM »