Author Topic: Need help choosing Flasher  (Read 7694 times)

CSP88

Re: Need help choosing Flasher
« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2007, 12:47 PM »
Thank you all for all the great info and tips. I just bought the Vex FL-8 SLT today and it looks like its gonna work perfect for me.  Man i'm pumped to go take this out fishin cant wait. I'll let you all know how it goes i plan on going ice fishin 1st weekend in January. ;D

Well heres my baby

Good choice....post some reviews when you get your new Vexilar out on the ice.  ;)

Chad

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2007, 07:33 PM »
I'm in the market for a flasher to...I gotta tell ya I'm a little confused with all the options. From Bean's post I gahtered that the main difference between Vex models  is the year they were released ??? Do I have that right ???
How important is the zoom feature and for that matter can some explian to me how they use that feature(practically speaking). Does Vex have gps unit built in...that sounds like a very cool feature.
What are some other  must have feautres with a flasher ???
I need someone to distill this down to the basics :-[

Offline TafoyaMNAA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 19, 2007, 04:55 AM »
okay jflood, from what i found with all the help i got is that the main difference from the vex models is : FL-8 older model no interference rejection ; FL-8SLT (the one i got) has interference rejection then theres the FL-8 SE newer model of the SLT which is basicly the same but has brighter LED's; then onto the other models of vex. As far as the zoom feature it helps in deteriming a better view of whats in the last 6 feet of water but i found that after reading about people that have experinced both the fl-8 and fl-18 that they work the same just the 18 you can see a little more clearly so if u can afford a 18 get it if not the fl-8 w/ interference rejection is the best buy for a low budget. So thats the reason i got the FL-8 SLT it a get the job done just as good as any others. As for GPS never seen one like that before so not sure on that one. But check out the video's in the link below click on the one about the fl-18 and fl-8se and you'll get a better idea cause i suck at explaining this type of stuff but i gave it a try.

http://www.vexilar.com/pages/support/support_videos.html

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 19, 2007, 08:22 AM »
VEX

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #34 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:38 AM »
MARCUM!!
Superior technology at a reasonable price.  You will find all the comments of each in the equipment thread.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0

Marcum has the most advanced flasher features that have been proven both in Lab's and on the Ice!  In fact during a recent National Ice fishing Tournament I know of guy's that had abandoned the Vexilar FL-20 for Marcums because they could not get rid of the noise interference associated with all the units out there.  The Marcum's performed as advertised.  In fact I do believe the winning team used a first generation LX-3 (without the true color (tc) upgrade) to win.  Also you will see quite a few, albeit not all, fishers switching to Marcum because of problems experienced at this tournament and how poorly the FL-20 performed.

Do not base your decision on what to buy on what your told, please do the research, compare the different units and choose what YOU feel is the best for your money and application.  Good luck and may your Holiday season be safe and filled with tight lines.

Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 19, 2007, 04:19 PM »
thanks boys

CSP88

« Reply #36 on: Dec 19, 2007, 04:37 PM »
MARCUM!!
Superior technology at a reasonable price.  You will find all the comments of each in the equipment thread.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0

Marcum has the most advanced flasher features that have been proven both in Lab's and on the Ice!  In fact during a recent National Ice fishing Tournament I know of guy's that had abandoned the Vexilar FL-20 for Marcums because they could not get rid of the noise interference associated with all the units out there.  The Marcum's performed as advertised.  In fact I do believe the winning team used a first generation LX-3 (without the true color (tc) upgrade) to win.  Also you will see quite a few, albeit not all, fishers switching to Marcum because of problems experienced at this tournament and how poorly the FL-20 performed.

Do not base your decision on what to buy on what your told, please do the research, compare the different units and choose what YOU feel is the best for your money and application.  Good luck and may your Holiday season be safe and filled with tight lines.

Steve

Steve, were both members of the winning team sharing the same Marcum?...if not, what was the other teammate using (funny you failed to mention that)?  Also did you happen to find out what the final tally was between the Vexilar, Marcum and Lowrance?  You seem to be in the know of what everyone was using and then you made the assumption that "quite a few" people are going to make the change, please post the team standings and which brand they were using and if they plan on changing brands......all the readers may be interested in the actual numbers.... not what appears to be a biased opinion.

I'm still baffled that at least 75% of the fisherman in this tournament did not realize they were using a so called inferior unit.  (Vexilar)  ::)   ::)

Chad

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:25 PM »
I can guarentee you a Marcum will never outfish a Vexilar or Lowrance unit. I honestly would not want a Flasher that screws with other flashers like the Marcums do, not allowing friends to fish close to me with other brand flashers or LCDs. Use what you want but Vexilar has earned my loyalty.

Offline perch chaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:13 PM »
(I put a post up last year about this topic as well, and this year I've added the new models for both MarCum and Vexilar, as well as more info. Hopefully it will shed a little more light on this high-demand topic)...

It’s an understandable and valid question, “Which one to get, Marcum or Vexilar?” The topic gets brought up on a regular basis and for good cause. Both brands are intended for similar purposes, both brands have units with similar prices, and both brands are available at many different tackle stores and are at the same place, at the same time. So, which one to get?

Eventually it will all come down to personal preference, and each person will either choose what they are most comfortable with, what they feel suits their fishing needs the best, or which unit lies more in their price range (adding in the factor of certain deals, discounts and help from friends or whatnot). For me, at least when talking about a piece of fishing equipment like a flasher unit, I’ll throw out the last variable all together. I’m willing to spend a few extra bucks to make sure I’m getting what I want, but that’s just me.

Your flasher unit is your fish’s mood indicator (in reference to what’s around it) when out on the ice, and it’s very important that you have a unit that will give you everything you want. Too much time is already wasted out on the ice trying to locate fish, so I’m trying to limit the amount of wasted time trying to get them to bite once I find them. Having a flasher unit that performs the way you want it is highly important, and being that the flasher unit plays the role it does, it only seems right that you make sure it’s the one for you. So with tossing out the last variable, we now have “which particular unit are you the most comfortable with” and “which particular unit suits your ice fishing needs the best.”

Being comfortable with a piece of fishing equipment is important, and being comfortable and understanding your electronics can save a lot of frustration and headache when out on the ice. Many ice anglers have used Vexilar (Hondex, etc) for years and years, mainly because it was one of the only options available and at the time it was truly cutting edge. Vexilar has helped a lot of ice anglers catch more fish, I don’t think anyone is going to argue that, but it wasn’t always the only option. Later we had more units available (Clearwater Classic, Zercom, Hummingbird, etc) and more options were thrown at ice anglers. I’ve used all three and put time into each one, and again, it comes down to the 3 variables when choosing a flasher unit, “comfort, productiveness/fishing needs, and price range.”

Some of these units were priced right and anglers bought them. Saving a hundred or so bucks was well worth it to many people, and I’m not going to argue that, but I personally would save up the few extra bucks until I had what I considered to be the best unit for me. Then, we had a new advancement in flasher units, one that would truly rival Vexilar, and that came in the form of MarCum. Competition is a good thing; I don’t think anyone is going to argue with that.

Now, the Clearwater Classic and other units work just fine, and people have used them for years to catch fish as well, but having the much demanded three-color technology along with the widespread availability, put Vexilar and MarCum on the same page. Everyplace you went you saw Vexilar and MarCum, both running at about the same price, both stocked full of features and both in the hands of ice anglers. You hear one thing from one person, one thing from another person and then something totally different from someone else. Makes choosing the right flasher pretty tough, especially if you don’t have the experience of previously owning a flasher unit.

Many ice anglers have been using Vexilar since the beginning, or close to, and they are strong in their ways and won’t switch to anything else. That’s fine, they are free to use what they want, no arguments. Some Vexilar users (like me in the past) made the switch to the MarCum units once they came onto the market. And then we have the new buyers who have been buying either Vexilar or MarCum (or both) not knowing a whole lot about either one. Sure they might gather a few pieces of info from magazines, articles, word of mouth and from websites or whatnot, but often times there was not enough planning before buying the unit.

You need to sit down and ask yourself what you want out of your flasher unit. Are you a recreational ice angler who will only fish once or twice a month? Are you a die hard who spends every waking hour on the ice? What type of fish to you target? Deep water? Shallow water? Bottom hugging fish or suspended fish? There are hundreds of questions that should be running through a person’s brain before making a selection on which flasher unit is best for them. However, hopefully I can layout a few of the more sought out answers…

Both Vexilar and MarCum provide a variety of flasher units ranging from standard, more basic flashers, all the way to the high-end, fully-loaded flasher with all the bells and whistles.

Here’s a list of the various flashers available for ice anglers between MarCum and Vexilar and a little more background info on each…

MarCum VX-1

600 Watts of Peak-to-Peak Power
Adjustable Multi-level Interference Rejection
2.5” Target Seperation
Super Bright Display
Bottom Zoom (5’ in 20 and 40 foot scale, 10’ in 80 foot scale, 20’ in 160 foot scale)

A basic overview of the VX-1… This unit comes complete with battery, charger, electronics shuttle with adjustable transducer arm, self-aligning transducer, gimbal bracket, and VX-1 sonar powerhead. The Marcum VX-1 offers their patented interference rejection, a bottom zoom feature that automatically locks on bottom: 5' in 20- and 40-ft scale, 10' in 80-ft scale, and 20' in 160-ft scale, and expertly engineered receiver design. With its 600 watts of peak-to-peak power and complete package of features and accessories.

MarCum LX-2

1,000 Watts of Peak-to-Peak Power
3 color display
20° Self-aligning Transducer
“Auto Zoom” mode which automatically sets the zoom window to the bottom 5 or 10 feet, your choice
600 denier PVC backed embroidered soft pack carrying case
Electronics shuttle with adjustable transducer arm

A basic overview of the LX-2… This sonar unit offers superior features at an affordable price. Featuring the new “Auto Zoom” mode which automatically sets the zoom window to the bottom 5 or 10 feet, your choice. The LX-2 has 1,000 watts of output power and offers a patented “Interference Rejection” system that knocks out interference from other nearby sonar.

MarCum LX-3tc

1,500 Watts of Peak-to-Peak Power
3 color display – TrueColor technology
20° Self-aligning Transducer
2.15" Target Separation
Adjustable Zoom Anywhere in the Water Column
Weather-resistant, padded soft pack
Fully automatic DCS (Digital Charging System - fully automatic three stage charging system with LCD display) with battery monitor

A basic overview of the LX-3tc… The LX-3tc three-color sonar flasher has a patent pending TrueColor display. TrueColor is the latest from MarCum Technologies improving color separation and resulting in an ultra crisp and highly visible display (even in bright sunlight). The LX-3tc is manufactured in the USA and boasts 1,500 watts of peak to peak power. Featuring a patented adjustable Zoom Mode that allows the user to choose between a 5 or 10 foot Zoom window in the 20 & 40 ft scale or choose between a 10 or 20 foot Zoom window in the 80 scale & a 20 or 40 Zoom window in the 160 foot scale. The Zoom window can be moved anywhere between the surface and bottom. This allows the user to effectively utilize the flexible Zoom Mode to display suspended fish as well as separating those difficult to see bottom huggers. Target separation improves from 2.15 to 1 inch in the Zoom Mode. The unit has a patented new and improved twelve level “Interference Rejection” feature that allows the user to knock out interference from other nearby sonar units.

MarCum LX-5

2,000 Watts of Peak-to-Peak Power
3 color display – TrueColor technology
8° or 20° cone angle: dual beam feature
Adjustable Multi-level Interference Rejection: 12 levels
Down to 0.75" Target Separation with SuperFine Line
Adjustable Zoom Anywhere in the Water Column
Weather-resistant, padded soft pack
Fully automatic DCS (Digital Charging System - fully automatic three stage charging system with LCD display) with battery monitor

A basic overview of the LX-5… The LX-5 sonar flasher features MarCum's patent pending TrueColor Display. TrueColor is the latest from MarCum Technologies improving color separation and resulting in an ultra crisp and highly visible display (even in bright sunlight). The new LX-5 is the most powerful, most sensitive, most feature laden flasher ever designed. Manufactured in the USA, this sonar unit boasts 2,000 watts of peak to peak power. The LX-5 comes standard with a dual beam transducer. To switch between the 8 and 20 degree cone angle is as simple as the touch of a key. The unit has a patented twelve level “Interference Rejection” feature that allows the user to knock out interference from other nearby sonar units. The LX-5 incorporates a patented movable zoom feature that allows the user to zoom in on a segment of water anywhere within the water column. This unit also features another of MarCum Technologies latest break throughs, SuperFine Line. The SuperFine Line feature allows the user to improve the units resolution resulting in target separation down to .75 inch. You can now use the unit in its full display and separate those hard to see bottom hugging Walleyes.

Vexilar FL-8

400 Watts of Peak-to-Peak Power
9°, 12°, 19° (standard), or Dual 9/19 Beam Transducer
Exclusive Interference Rejection: 10 Step
2.65" Target Separation

A basic overview of the FL-8… A 400-Watt transmitter and an ultra-sensitive receiver back the vivid display. It is easily sensitive enough to show the thermocline and plankton layers. The colors and high sensitivity also make finding changes in bottom content easy. And Ice fishermen know the FL-8 series flashers have become famous for their ability to see small baits at deep depths. The FL-8 SE can be rigged for almost any application. With a wide variety of transducers and accessories to choose from, the FL-8 SE can be used year-round. Improved Interference Rejection technology lets you fish side by side with almost any flasher or LCD graph with interference free operation. The 10 step IR switch lets you knock out interference between you and another depth finder. FL-8 SE anglers can even fish two depth finders in the same ice shelter or boat. It allows you to have two depth finders close together on a boat or in a fish house without the annoying interference.

Vexilar FL-12

19° (standard), or Dual 9/19 Beam Transducer
Large Wide-Angle Display: The flat-screen display is 12% larger than the FL-8
20' Low Power Mode (LP): Reduces the output power by 50%
Super Bright and Rock Solid Display
2.65" Target Separation
Target ID: 1”
Weatherproof High Impact Case
Five Depth Scales: 20', 40', 60', 80', and 200'

A basic overview of the FL-12… The FL-12 operates using only two control knobs and offers a ten step interference rejection feature. The operation of the FL-12 is similar to the FL-8. Externally, the classic three-color flasher display performs like the FL-8, but internally, the sonar receiver has been enhanced to increase the system's immunity to noise. The FL-12 is a 200 kHz frequency unit with depth ranges capable of showing depths to 200 feet. It also offers a new 20' Low Power, shallow water range option built right into the range control, so you can fish in super shallow water and get a very clean signal, even in weeds.

Vexilar FL-18

12° (standard), or Dual 9/19 Beam Transducer
2.65" Target Separation
Auto Zoom Mode
Bottom Lock Mode
Low Power Mode

A basic overview of the FL-18…The FL-18 offers a patented split screen flasher display. This allows you to zoom-in on the bottom six feet while watching the entire water column at the same time in real time. The Auto Zoom mode is fantastic for watching Perch or Walleye while ice fishing. These fish commonly hold tight on the bottom, and with a target ID of less than 1/2 inch, the FL-18 makes them easy to spot. And that's not all. The FL-18 depth finder / fish finder is equipped with features like a built-in shallow water mode for fishing waters under 15 feet. Five depth scales down to 200 feet for the standard model, and down to 300 feet for the custom deep model. Built-in interference rejection. A three color LED readout that tells you if the targets you see are weak (green) medium (orange) or strong (red). This three color LED technology has proven to be the most reliable and accurate way of understanding where fish are holding.

Vexilar FL-20

Auto Zoom Mode (AZ): Gives a half screen zoom window of the bottom six feet or bottom 12 feet of depth
12° (standard), or Dual 9/19 Beam Transducer
Large Wide-Angle Display: The flat-screen display is 12% larger than the FL-8
20' Low Power Mode (LP): Reduces the output power by 50%
Super Bright and Rock Solid Display
2.65" Target Separation
Target ID: .5”
Five Depth Scales: 20', 40', 60', 80', and 200'

A basic overview of the FL-20… The FL-20 uses the same easy to operate, three-knob control system as their popular FL-18 Flasher sonar, but with some enhanced features. A ten step inference rejection feature is standard with the FL-20. You will also be glad to know the Vexilar FL-20 enhanced receiver performance and increased noise immunity. This means less inference when fishing with other 200 kHz systems. The FL-20 boasts two auto zoom ranges that split the display screen to let you focus in on just the bottom 6 or 12 feet of the water column, depending on your needs. The FL-20 is capable of showing target I.D. of less than 1/2 inch, but can also display depths down to 200 feet. Another new feature is a 20 foot shallow water mode that is available for anglers when fishing in thick weeds or in very shallow water.

So, what does all this mean? Some features are obvious in distinguishing between some of the differences between Vexilar and MarCum. For example, the amount of power each unit provides. MarCum provides up to 2,000 watts and Vexilar provides 400 watts. The argument is brought up every year on the issue that added power only causes problems, or that not enough power doesn’t allow you to see what you’re suppose to see, it goes both ways.

The new Vexilar models with the enhanced color displays are much better than the Vexilars of old, hands down, and both the MarCum and Vexilar units both provide a clear signal read-out, allowing us to better distinguish between certain fish in a school or when our bait is amongst that school of fish. It also helps us better distinguish where our jig is amongst the weeds, especially on lakes where we have to fish through 5 feet of weeds to get to the bottom where the fish are. Both companies have designed products that provide a clear readout.

The issue of fishing side-by-side with another flasher unit is a reoccurring one as well. Cluttered signals and frustration are caused by overlapping sonar signals. Fishing too close to each other while running a flasher unit can cause those problems, but not always. Variance in model (Vexilar and MarCum) will make a difference. There are several factors to consider with this though.

Water depth is a huge one. Many times you won’t have to worry as much when fishing in 5-6 feet of water. Sonar signals are not overlapping as much as they would when fishing in 30 feet of water. Most of the problems occur when anglers are fishing side-by-side while holding over a deep water crappie bite, or something of the sort. You get several anglers, all with flasher units, holding in the same area with conflicting sonar waves and things will get a little hectic. Sometimes there is nothing you can do about it, but other times there are precautions that can be made.

Running similar units next to each other, like a MarCum and a MarCum, will aid in the amount of clutter-up. Two anglers can sit side-by-side with MarCum units in 30 feet of water and knock out almost all, if not all, of the clutter on their screens. But when a Vexilar and a MarCum are sitting side-by-side, the MarCum user can knock out the clutter on his/her screen, but the Vexilar user won’t be able to clear everything.

Now, I’m not saying that the Vexilar unit is going to be unreadable, because you can adjust the Vexilar to knock out some of the opposing signal as well, but you will notice a difference between the two. The case brought up here (in part) is the added power that the MarCum unit provides, which enables it to knock out surrounding interference. There have been many times that I’ve sat next to, or near, another angler who is using an FL-18 (while I’m using a LX-5) only to have him ask why his screen is full of clutter while mine is virtually clear.

The ICE Series event out on Medicine Lake is one of those occurrences that come to mind. Several of us were fishing a deep water crappie bite (40 feet plus) and we were all crammed into an area no bigger than a basketball court. As I walked around talking with nearby anglers I noticed that those using Vexilars had cluttered up screens and it was nearly impossible to make out where their jig was. At this point I noticed a lot of those same anglers were rigging up bobbers and floats because they were getting frustrated with their flasher units. Now, the amount of productive time spent on the ice is being wasted.

However, as I walked by those who were using MarCum units, I noticed a slightly different story. I’m not going to say their screens were entirely clear, because with thirty flasher units running in a small area it’s going to obviously cause some problems regardless, but their screens were clear enough to where they could still effectively fish. To keep things short, I watched those with MarCum units continue to pull up fish.

Now again, keep in mind these situations are not the situations that you will run into every time out on the ice, but when I’m out guiding or expected to produce fish, I don’t like to have any hang-ups. It all comes down to limiting the amount of wasted time spent on the ice and increasing the amount of productive time catching fish.

With making the change from the FL-8 or FL-12 to the VX-1, LX-2, LX-3tc, LX-5, FL-18, or FL-20 you are going to gain the added zoom features (as well as a higher price tag, but remember, you get what you pay for… added features and productivity). And in my opinion, they are a must have when ice fishing. Having a zoom option only increases your productivity out on the ice. Now your fish’s mood indicator has a much broader playing field, allowing you to zoom in and focus on the area where the fish are. But, this doesn’t only limit you to the zoomed in area, you get to see the rest of the water column as well.

How does this work? What happens is your circular display screen will turn into two, causing one side of your flasher panel to read just the zoomed in area, and the other side to read the entire water column but in a condensed version. This will still enable you to spot roaming fish that come through outside the zoomed in area. It’s a very versatile tool to have for a variety of conditions. So, what’s the difference between the VX-1, LX-2, LX-3tc, LX-5, FL-18 and FL-20? All of them have zoom features, but again, they are entirely different units.

The zoom feature on the LX-3tc and LX-5 allows you to zoom throughout any part of the water column. When in the 20 or 40 foot viewing mode you have the option of a 5 foot zoom window or a 10 foot zoom window. When in the 80 foot viewing mode you have the option of a 10 or 20 foot zoom window. And in the 160 foot viewing mode you have the option of a 20 or 40 foot zoom window. This allows you to pinpoint on bottom hugging fish like perch and walleye out on Mille Lacs Lake, or smallmouth bass on Chequamegon Bay.

However, it also allows you to focus in on a school of suspended crappies in 40 feet of water. If the crappies are holding 15 feet off bottom, you can adjust your zoom window to show the depths of 20-30 feet, which will allow you to focus on the target zone, giving you a crisper and clear read-out of not only the fish, but you jig as well. So, whether you’re targeting bottom hugging fish or suspended fish, the LX-3tc and LX-5 have you covered when it comes to the zoom feature. And, the zoom feature can be adjusted anytime without causing you to lose your position. This means that you can adjust the zoom up and down without changing depth modes.

Fish will move throughout the water column and we need to move with them, and this feature makes doing so very easy. Almost every time I’m working over a suspended school of crappies I’ll use this feature. Now I can see a 10 foot zoom window covering the entire school of crappies on one side, and I can see the rest of the water column on the other side. Even when targeting suspended crappies in 55 feet of water, I can still effectively target those suspended fish with a zoom window. I’ll set the zoom window at either 10 or 20 feet, which will span over the area the fish are holding at, yet I’ll still have a condensed version of the entire water column in sight as well. I won’t have to only rely on just the 60 foot depth window to target those suspended fish, instead I can zoom in on the school and have a crisp, clear read-out.

The VX-1 and LX-2 also have a zoom feature, but it’s restricted to the bottom 5 or 10 feet (with the LX-2) and the bottom 5, 10 or 20 feet (with the VX-1).

The FL-20 has a couple zoom options allowing the user to have a half screen zoom window of the bottom 6 feet or bottom 12 feet of depth depending on your fishing situation.

The FL-18 also has a zoom feature, much like the zoom feature of the FL-20, but it’s restricted to only the bottom 6 feet and there is not a 12 foot option.

However, when using the VX-1, LX-2, FL-20, or FL-18, and fishing a suspended school of crappies in 45 feet of water, you won’t be able to zoom in on just the area where the fish are located at. And when targeting a school of fish in 45 feet of water, you will need to use the 60 foot depth window (for the FL-18 and FL-20) or the 80 foot depth window (for the LX-2) in order to see the entire water column, but when using the larger depth window you lose a lot of definition and targets are not as crisp and clear.

Sure you can get around this by just using the 40 foot window knowing that the fish are suspended up off the bottom, but we all know that there are times when crappies will cruise through on the bottom as well, and with the 40 foot depth window they will go undetected when working in depths deeper than 40 feet. This would mean that you would have to be fishing in 40 feet or less to effectively target the entire water column. Trying to decipher the activity level of a green flickering object in the larger depth range can be very, very tough, not to mention how effective you will be at depicting the exact movements of your jig.

But, when targeting bottom hugging fish like perch and walleye, the 6 foot zoom window of the FL-18, 6 or 12 foot zoom window of the FL-20, the 5 or 10 foot zoom window of the LX-2, or the 5, 10, or 20 foot zoom window of the VX-1 will work just fine. I know a lot of guides who run FL-18 and LX-2 units out on Mille Lacs Lake, Lake Winnibigoshish or Lake of the Woods, but they are primarily only targeting perch and walleye. Guides on Red Lake will use the FL-18 or LX-2 on occasion as well because they are only fishing in depths of about 13 feet or less. No need for a zoom window.

I spend a lot of time chasing crappies and sunfish, and they have a tendency to suspend more often than not during the winter months, so either the LX-3tc or LX-5 suits my fishing needs much better. And, when I need to target bottom hugging fish, I can do so just the same. It’s really a personal preference on how much use you will get out of the zoom feature, but remember, I’m trying to be the most productive I can be when I’m out on the ice, and I feel the LX-3tc or LX-5 allows me to do so.

Even when fishing the above mentioned lakes like Mille Lacs, Winni and Lake of the Woods, I can still zoom in on bottom hugging fish with the LX-3tc or LX-5. Those two units allow me to fish just about any body of water, and zoom in on any part of the water column. I firmly believe this has helped me land more fish. Not having the available zoom option when needed can make or break a day of fishing, especially when the fish go deep.

So we have the whole “zoom” thing covered, now what about the dual beam topic?

Dual beam is an outstanding feature to have on a flasher unit. It allows the user to really hone in on the desired area, as well as aid in avoiding other opposing nearby signals. Having the ability to switch to a narrower cone angle will reduce the area your cone covers, and in turn the area your cone has to cross with nearby cones of other flasher units. So when fishing next to other flasher units in deep water, you can switch to the narrower cone angle and reduce the amount of clutter-up on your display.

This also allows you to get a better understanding of what is “really” beneath you and not 20 yards to the side. A 19 or 20 degree cone angle in 40 feet of water is covering a large area of the bottom of the lake. However, an 8 or 9 degree cone angle is going to cut down on that area dramatically, and give you a much better readout of the immediate area (strike zone beneath you).

The other beauty of a dual beam unit is when fishing in weeds. By switching to the narrower cone angle, you reduce the amount of weeds that the sonar crosses, thus giving you a more clear readout and a better idea of where your jig is located. This really comes in handy when fishing lakes where the monster bluegills and slab crappies like burrowing themselves into the weeds.

The LX-5 and the Vexilar models all have the ability to work as a dual beam system.

Whether I need to use the zoom feature on suspended crappies, knock out an opposing signal with my Interference Rejection, or pull fish out of the thick weeds, I feel confident knowing that I’m prepared for any situation a day on the ice can throw at me.
Some good reading from another forum

I grew up fishing with the Vexilar units, and some of my closest friends and relatives use them, and I’m not here to ridicule or put-down anyone who uses a Vexilar. Vexilar makes a very good product and I’m not going to down-grade them in any way. I still have Vexilars that get used. It’s essentially a matter of personal preference and I’m just trying to lay down a few of things I’ve experienced as well as my personal opinion on the situation.

I spend a lot of time on the ice and I’m always looking at new products and trying to find ways to improve my productivity on the ice. I feel the LX-5 allows me to be the most productive I can be. So for me it’s the MarCum LX-5, but for you it might be something different.

Offline perch chaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:20 PM »
I'm sorry guys, by no means that I wrote this the post above. It came from an other forum

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 20, 2007, 07:08 AM »
That says it all, and then some. No need to apologise, good info in there for someone new to flashers. :bow:
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #41 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:01 AM »

Steve, were both members of the winning team sharing the same Marcum?...if not, what was the other teammate using (funny you failed to mention that)?  Also did you happen to find out what the final tally was between the Vexilar, Marcum and Lowrance?  You seem to be in the know of what everyone was using and then you made the assumption that "quite a few" people are going to make the change, please post the team standings and which brand they were using and if they plan on changing brands......all the readers may be interested in the actual numbers.... not what appears to be a biased opinion.

I'm still baffled that at least 75% of the fisherman in this tournament did not realize they were using a so called inferior unit.  (Vexilar)  ::)   ::)

Chad

OK, so here we go again.  Chad why don't you post the numbers?   I never said that Marcum out numbered Vex!  All I stated was that the team needed to switch to a back up Marcum because of the problems they were having with their FL-20.  You are right about the fact that the other "half" of the winning team used a Vex, that because he didn't have a Marcum to use.  I would use substandard (my opinion) equipment over using nothing at all also.  The numbers that you speak of, well not really as you decided not to post them, probably show an increase of Marcum users from last year.  It's going to take awhile for everyone to realize which unit performs as advertised and which one doesn't.  Now as for the "Biased" opinion which you accused me of having.  Here's the deal, I, unlike you have fished with BOTH the Marcum And Vexilar.  I've used them on the same lakes same conditions same everything!  Which one do I prefer giving my type of fishing, the Marcum.  Will my FL-18 work?  I've stated it does, just doesn't work as good as the LX-5.  I keep it so friends of mine that don't have one can use it when they go out fishing with me.   

Now if you would please, tell me what Marcum unit that you have personally used and how many hours of experience you can compare between them.  Reason I ask is you never mentioned your personal experience with a Marcum unit is.  It seems the only information you provide is biased and has no backing to it.  Quit contradicting everything others and I post with useless babble and provide facts.  Thanks

In my opinion, and that is all that was asked, I prefer the Marcum because of the improved technology they offer and how well it performs for me. 

Hey I'm going to start a thread in the "Grumpy Old man" shanty.  Meet you there!

Steve

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:19 AM »
I selected my flasher by the color of trench coat she wore  :o… I was partial to the black trench v.s. the classic tan. You don’t want your flasher getting cold on the ice  ;D
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #43 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:21 AM »
I selected my flasher by the color of trench coat she wore  :o… I was partial to the black trench v.s. the classic tan. You don’t want your flasher getting cold on the ice  ;D
:roflmao: :roflmao: :clap:

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:35 AM »
I can guarentee you a Marcum will never outfish a Vexilar or Lowrance unit. I honestly would not want a Flasher that screws with other flashers like the Marcums do, not allowing friends to fish close to me with other brand flashers or LCDs. Use what you want but Vexilar has earned my loyalty.

Umm...Then stop using the Vex. I was rarely outfished by a Vexilar user while using my Hummingbird Proflasher (it ain't all the brand of flasher down your hole) but I never could fish anywhere close to them. They hardly knew I was there but all I could see were random flashes on mine. I don't think Vexilar, or many of the owners, ever cared about it then.
I don't think what one may interfear with another is a good reason to chose one over the other. Look at the options, price and the company.

I just received a VX-1 yesterday, can't wait to try it. I'd still be using the proflasher but the transducer went bad and for the price I decided to get one with zoom and a smaller depth scale. From the little I have used a Vexilar I think the three color stuff all the new flashers are using is WAAAAAAY overrated. I could always tell my thin red jig line from a big red fish line, if they met...well that's the point of it. Maybe I'll change my mind on that after using it full time and having better seperation. I could see why someone would pick a Vexilar to, just not what fit my needs and price range.

Tim

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #45 on: Dec 21, 2007, 08:15 PM »
Every vexilar I have ever looked at was anything but crisp like a Marcum.Are they all fuzzy along the edges of the colors or just the 100 or so I have looked at ??? . It all comes down to how well  they have worked while I was using them and how they work for the people around me that are using them for me to know whats best for me. Its no secret how much time I spend sitting in front of a flasher(about 70 days a yr for those that dont know me),heck, I have been know to turn it on next to the bed at night so I can watch the cat walk under it. In the last 4 yrs I have NEVER, (thats 0 times) heard anyone complain or have anything negetive to say about a Marcum that they are using. Vexilars on the other hand is a different story. I have heard people complain about the noise the head units make,especially when they are not in a heated shack. I have heard them complain about them not working in shallow water without an s cord. I have heard complaints that some have had problems with them working with a fully charged battery.
Then there is the complaints that they dont work near the marcums because of all the power the marcums put out ::)lol. Sure, all of these things are not going to keep you from catching fish,you can deal with the problems,but should you have to? I am sure there are alot of people that dont have any troubles with there vexilars,there is bound to be some that work with that many out there.  I personally dont recomend anyone go into a store and look at the units to make a decision. You need to use them in real world conditions to get the true results you need to decide. pinging off a hard floor in a store is alot different than pinging off a weedy or soft lake bottom....there is my 50 cents worth ,use it as you wish. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.