New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: how much longer we got on lake george?  (Read 7486 times)

Offline gorangers

• IceShanty Rookie
how much longer we got on lake george?
« on: Mar 06, 2021, 06:49 PM »
wondering how much longer yall think we can get out on the ice before it melts away!

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: how much longer we got on lake george?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2021, 02:10 PM »

I live back in the woods you see

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2021, 04:38 PM »
Thats the best answer yet i had to use a plank today

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2021, 02:05 AM »
Drilled 12 inches yesterday south basin but only 4 was solid rest is soft and starting to really talk its later than you think.😎

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2021, 08:09 AM »
Drilled 12 inches yesterday south basin but only 4 was solid rest is soft and starting to really talk its later than you think.😎
Yes is it, I almost couldn’t get off yesterday jumped over an 18 crack and slid my sled up north it’s about done 2” in one spot I found and open most of the north basin water quadrupled in size this week

Offline Trout4Thee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2021, 09:12 AM »
I’m pretty new to ice fishing.  I was at Hague Saturday morning.  Ice was 5 or 6 inches where I drilled.  But I was across the pressure ridge.  There were a lot of tight crack lines.  Ice was making noise.  Then a fairly loud noise and the whole ice sheet bobbed up and down.  That was enough for me.  I made my way back and some of those tight cracks were an inch or two bigger.   
Seems like a lot of guys out there didn’t think much of it.   Maybe they have experience with this?   Didn’t seem safe to me, but I’m a newbie.  ?

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2021, 09:14 AM »
Ice fine and dandy where I am. Actually made ice it looks

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2021, 09:50 AM »
I’m pretty new to ice fishing.  I was at Hague Saturday morning.  Ice was 5 or 6 inches where I drilled.  But I was across the pressure ridge.  There were a lot of tight crack lines.  Ice was making noise.  Then a fairly loud noise and the whole ice sheet bobbed up and down.  That was enough for me.  I made my way back and some of those tight cracks were an inch or two bigger.   
Seems like a lot of guys out there didn’t think much of it.   Maybe they have experience with this?   Didn’t seem safe to me, but I’m a newbie.  ?
I was out there also Saturday guy waited for me to cross the ridge saw us coming from a distance with the spud and waiting for us to cross so he could follow  I was almost 2 miles north actually drug a deer about a half mile off the glare ice Saturday it couldn’t walk or stand ice was good up north to an extent open water grew ammensly

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2021, 11:47 AM »

Experience or stupidity, its a fine line this time of year.

Better to be safe than sorry so leaving wasnt a bad idea.

More ice time will educate you on the noises ice makes during different periods of winter.

Guys can tell the good noises versus bad ones. Depends on time of year, temp, bright sun or no sun. A lot of variables with ice.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2021, 01:50 PM »

I've had to walk miles and miles after similar events have created ridges that I could not cross that were easily crossed earlier in the day.  Generally speaking....if there's ice formation/below freezing the night before....the sun rises and hits the ice and it expands exponentially the ridges form. 

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2021, 01:53 PM »
Keep in mind the time changes this weekend too and it stays light later so the afternoon sun will impact the ice more since it’s a longer afternoon. 
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Keep in mind the time changes this weekend too and it stays light later so the afternoon sun will impact the ice more since it’s a longer afternoon.

That change doesn't do anything to sunlight hours on ice John...just makes us all lose an hour of sleep.  Daylight amount remains almost the same plus 3 minutes or so that we gain per day.

Offline windmill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2021, 04:10 PM »
I was on the lake yesterday, and by the time I got off the ice, conditions deteriorated. Also, keep in mind certain areas broke apart earlier in the season, and re froze, add in to the mix the soft white ice on top, are not ideal conditions at all.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2021, 05:22 PM »
Nice hopefully more will give up for the season! 

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2021, 05:56 PM »
My thoughts exactly

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2021, 05:33 AM »
8-10" in every hole I drilled yesterday. only top inch was white. A tad soft on the walk out but nothing close to what ive experienced out there before. Walked 15+ miles over 4 days only to find exactly what i was looking for an hour before sunset yesterday. Needless to say i will definitely be trying to to get out once more despite the warm weather. Need to revisit that spot and id much rather try on the hardwater than my canoe. PLEASE have and use a spud when you're venturing out. Late season ice can go from safe to unsafe in hours. I yelled, and thankfully stopped two spudless guys walking out of hague over the weekend that would have walked right over the pressure crack right off the beach that was open water <48 hours prior.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2021, 05:33 AM »

This made me chuckle

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2021, 05:36 AM »

Offline gorangers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2021, 01:51 PM »
That change doesn't do anything to sunlight hours on ice John...just makes us all lose an hour of sleep.  Daylight amount remains almost the same plus 3 minutes or so that we gain per day.

i think he meant that when its 4pm after we spring forward the sun has been on the ice that day an hour longer than it would ahve been if we hadnt spring forward and it was only 3pm

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2021, 02:10 PM »

An extra hour of daylight the warm part of the day.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2021, 02:45 PM »
i think he meant that when its 4pm after we spring forward the sun has been on the ice that day an hour longer than it would ahve been if we hadnt spring forward and it was only 3pm

We got trolled by shipoffools.  Priceless! 

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2021, 02:47 PM »
We got trolled by shipoffools.  Priceless!

I couldn't resist  ;D

I was on a lake south of Albany this morning and it had 13 inches of ice with about 10 of that in good shape. I'm not sure what it will be like in 48 hours though.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2021, 02:49 PM »

I couldn't resist  ;D

I was on a lake south of Albany this morning and it had 13 inches of ice with about 10 of that in good shape. I'm not sure what it will be like in 48 hours though.

I can drive onto the western mass lake I want to fish for crappie tonight.  Meanwhile in here in CT one of my favorite pike lakes can't melt fast enough...

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 10, 2021, 02:56 PM »
This has helped keep me entertained during a rough day at the office. Thanks everyone!

Yes, it’s about the clock. The clock will be one hour ahead Sunday when the sun rises than it was when the sun rose on Saturday.

I just confirmed the logic with my 13 year old.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2021, 03:16 PM »

I live back in the woods you see

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline donald krutz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2021, 03:34 PM »
I was on LG today. You cant get on from Huddle Bay road. Got on at Bixby, but needed to use a board to get over pressure crack. Upper layer is getting soft, not many days left. Use a spud and be careful. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Mar 10, 2021, 03:47 PM »
I was on LG today. You cant get on from Huddle Bay road. Got on at Bixby, but needed to use a board to get over pressure crack. Upper layer is getting soft, not many days left. Use a spud and be careful.

Great news.  Faster it ices out faster I can harass lakers on an empty lake!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2021, 04:00 PM »
This made me chuckle

This was the pic i couldn't send  ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2021, 04:21 PM »
This was the pic i couldn't send  ;D

That'll do!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.