New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: how much longer we got on lake george?  (Read 7493 times)

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: how much longer we got on lake george?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 10, 2021, 06:28 PM »
No it really hasn't ...... the hours of daylight are about 3 minutes longer from day to day this time of year ..... nothing has changed in nature ..... the only thing that changes are people that have to do things by a clock.  Nature doesn't have a clock - it has light and dark.  The amount of daylight (or sunlight, or clouds) will change by 3 minutes from Sat to Sun.
[/quote    Not the length of daylight... sunrays are getting more direct which eats the ice faster... leave something on the ice and you will see it picks up heat much quicker now than a month ago...good idea to stay away from rocks or islands... they heat up and weaken the ice around them...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2021, 06:32 PM »
whenyou hear a splash and are suddenly wet ......you went one day to many

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2021, 07:23 PM »
I was on LG today. You cant get on from Huddle Bay road. Got on at Bixby, but needed to use a board to get over pressure crack. Upper layer is getting soft, not many days left. Use a spud and be careful.
Boat was launched td at mossy point lol

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 10, 2021, 07:26 PM »
This was the pic i couldn't send  ;D

Moooo

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 10, 2021, 07:29 PM »
 I have been on lake every day for the past week. Lost 2-3" on top in past 2 days  Cracks are opening, pressure ridges are opening and access is deteriorating. Lake can be navigated with common sense. We (myself and a buddy) are most likely done with quads after tomorrow.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2021, 05:02 AM »

Im using this as my silver lining for ice season ending as these bad girls will be right behind them. I actually saw 4 people fishing the east side of the hudson by troy when i was driving home yesterday.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2021, 06:12 AM »
Im using this as my silver lining for ice season ending as these bad girls will be right behind them. I actually saw 4 people fishing the east side of the hudson by troy when i was driving home yesterday.

As early as April 4th last year we were  catching 30” fish south of Catskill and by 3rd week in April some real big fish were already in the river. Something to look forward to!

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 11, 2021, 06:14 AM »

That’s a beauty!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 11, 2021, 06:50 AM »
That’s a beauty!

Thanks,

That's probably 5 years ago and I kept that one and gave the meat to my Mom. Fed her for a year! I've gotten bigger ones since and seen more 40 inch plus fish than ever before these last couple of years. I assume it's from the slot limit put in place a few years ago.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:13 AM »
Thanks,

That's probably 5 years ago and I kept that one and gave the meat to my Mom. Fed her for a year! I've gotten bigger ones since and seen more 40 inch plus fish than ever before these last couple of years. I assume it's from the slot limit put in place a few years ago.

They’re delicious. The slot limit certainly has helped. Saw a large amount of big fish caught last season for sure.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #40 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:24 AM »
Thanks,

Agree, ive caught increasingly bigger bass the last few years.

Most of them last season were well over 40 inches.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:29 AM »
As early as April 4th last year we were  catching 30” fish south of Catskill and by 3rd week in April some real big fish were already in the river. Something to look forward to!

Great work I fish the salt often last year my first decent migratory bass was March 18th a 16lber caught plugging the back mud flats on the western sound we had those pre spawners in Raritan in March as well last year they flood the river shortly after then come back down I was on ice last day on George last year March 7th catching migratory bass 7 days later I think it’s late this year tho bud water at battery is 38 Bridgeport is 37 and New York harbor Ambrose bouy is 40 still I’ll probably see my first migratory schoolie April 3-6th this year based on my logs of 20 years

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:44 AM »
How did this turn into striper thread?

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:00 AM »
Because striper guys are fishy guys and the bass will be here b4 we know it most who are also laker fisherman who are sick of the ice and want to get back to open water fishing

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:02 AM »
Apologies....
Not my intention

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:08 AM »
Ice will be ok in most areas for walking this weekend if you use a spud and play it safe, is that what you wanted to see Steve!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:17 AM »

The fat lady is singing on George .... that means it's Striper time for me  ;D

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:17 AM »
Because striper guys are fishy guys and the bass will be here b4 we know it most who are also laker fisherman who are sick of the ice and want to get back to open water fishing
I think there is another site for those guys. Open water one. My fish finder or something.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:18 AM »
Ice will be ok in most areas for walking this weekend if you use a spud and play it safe, is that what you wanted to see Steve!

I'm seriously tempted to make one more outing. I've had a mediocre season at best.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:28 AM »
I don’t expect much this weekend due to location I’ll be fishing last weekend was banner I’ll be out Saturday and Sunday welcome to join

Offline gorangers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Uh, yeah - the sun rays are getting stronger the closer it gets to spring and summer - but that has nothing to do with the clock change and there isn't an extra hour of  "heat" from Sat to Sun either.

op and myself didnt say anything about more sun energy per day as a result when the clocks spring forward. you are correct, the change on matters to people who do things by clocks, like all of you.. the  reality is if you plan to go out at 12 pm the day after the clocks spring foward than its really like 1pm, of pre spring foward time. that means that so far that day the sun has beat on your precious ice for another hour, and conditions will have deteriorated that day an hour more than they would have at the same time pre-spring forward. and if conditions deteriorate more throughout the day as i suspect they do than this increases your "sunlight deterioration liability" by one hour.

and not that its really relevant since the response misses the point but the additional 3 minutes a day doesnt tell the entire story since the angle of insolation has increased and more of the suns energy is going onto the ground and this is likely more critical to temperature than day light hour increases

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:49 AM »
Great work I fish the salt often last year my first decent migratory bass was March 18th a 16lber caught plugging the back mud flats on the western sound we had those pre spawners in Raritan in March as well last year they flood the river shortly after then come back down I was on ice last day on George last year March 7th catching migratory bass 7 days later I think it’s late this year tho bud water at battery is 38 Bridgeport is 37 and New York harbor Ambrose bouy is 40 still I’ll probably see my first migratory schoolie April 3-6th this year based on my logs of 20 years

We could go slay on the housy whenever.  My first keepers are river fish from Eastern CT.  Very weird to be slinging eels first week of March but it works.

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 11, 2021, 09:53 AM »
This is for GORANGERS. The clocks spring ahead so 12 on Sunday would of been 11 on Saturday   not 1 pm.
Sunrise is an hour later by the clock not an hour earlier after Saturday.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 11, 2021, 10:31 AM »
This is for GORANGERS. The clocks spring ahead so 12 on Sunday would of been 11 on Saturday   not 1 pm.

Maybe they should just get rid of daylight savings nonsense so everyone isn't so confused  ;D
westernmas on the finder

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 11, 2021, 10:37 AM »
Two days ago was my last day to drive my wheeler out there although it would of been fine yesterday also. Yesterday was likely my last day to walk out although I will check it out probably on Saturday and see if it survived the warm up. If it did certain areas may get another week with the forecast.

Offline gorangers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Mar 11, 2021, 12:36 PM »

well whoever i was backing up is completely shot than, it is confuising lol

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Mar 11, 2021, 01:29 PM »
EVERYONE isn't confused but some sure are   ;D

For the record I was bored at work and thought I'd stir up some trouble saying the time change would speed up the ice going out.  @)

I coached my kid and his friends in baseball through age 15 and when they were 14 we had a discussion about a broken clock being right twice a day. One of the kids said but yeah what about 12:00?  ..... he still thought he was right when I said 12 Noon or 12 Midnight  ::)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #57 on: Mar 11, 2021, 01:51 PM »
As long as everyone stops ice fishing LG late ice I could care less about daylight savings. 

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Mar 11, 2021, 02:16 PM »
We could go slay on the housy whenever.  My first keepers are river fish from Eastern CT.  Very weird to be slinging eels first week of March but it works.
I beat on them December and early January most years that’s enough for me the alwifes are here on li already....

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Mar 11, 2021, 02:49 PM »
I beat on them December and early January most years that’s enough for me the alwifes are here on li already....

Some alewives made it to Mass too but the biggest myth in all of striper fishing is that the migratory bass are right on their heels.  My logs show at least 30-45 days before keepers with sea lice are after the herring.  Plus minus a few days depending on water temps and locations.  Also excludes spots with holdovers....those holdover bass are ready to smash the new arrivals. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.