Author Topic: Vexilar  (Read 5843 times)

Offline techyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Vexilar
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2009, 01:57 PM »
Just bought an FL-8 yesterday so I can't tell you how well i LIKE IT. Mainly bought this due to cost. If I had funds for any I would get one with the bottom zoom feature.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2009, 03:24 PM »
If my FL18 went....I'd get another FL18.  I just have that much confidence in it.  I'm sure the FL20 would be nice as well though.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:03 PM »
Love the FL-18. If it ever goes I'll buy another 18. Same goes for the confidence factor, Ive used it for so many years I'd hate to switch now...

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:43 PM »
Another vote for the FL-18.  The autozoom/bottom lock feature is worth the extra bucks especially if you fish for bottom-hugging species like walleyes.  Recommend getting the soft case for whatever you get.  It will help protect your flasher and keep it clean.  Worth $30 bucks or so.

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:59 PM »
fl-18 the only way to go

Offline Kilroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:34 AM »
Is that a Vexilar?

He was probably thinking there was hope for the guy,lol.......I just bought another LX-3 yesterday, now I have one for each hole. :-)

Kilroy
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/382548/TeamSDlogo1-1.jpg

If It Smells Like Fish And Tastes Like Fish.......It Just Might Be Fish.

Kilroy Was Here ~~~o00o~(_)~o00o~~~

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2009, 08:16 AM »
There are a couple of situations where flasher really shines.

The other day I was fishing sunnies. The the fish where finicky. I could see on the Vex that they would come up to the bait, give it a sniff, and head back down. By adding more waxies and adjusting my jigging I found out they wanted a lot of meat and a specific jigging pattern. Without the Vex I would have just deduced that there were no fish. With the Vex I caught a bunch of fish.

For suspended or cruising fish the vex will tell you where they are at, when they come in... My personal experience with theis is with crappies and lake trout.

Offline iowafarmboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2009, 01:39 PM »
I ordered a recond. unit from the vex web site Friday 16th. and it was here at 9:00 today.  The site said they were running several days behind right now.  I would say this is the quickest delivery of any item that I've ordered.  Hopefully its able to prove its worth next week on Lake of the woods.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2009, 02:17 PM »
I ordered a recond. unit from the vex web site Friday 16th. and it was here at 9:00 today.  The site said they were running several days behind right now.  I would say this is the quickest delivery of any item that I've ordered.  Hopefully its able to prove its worth next week on Lake of the woods.

Let us know how it works for you. A lot of us have bought and used Vexilars for years and posted a lot of reviews and reports. Nearly all were from people that bought new units. We would really like to hear how people are doing with their reconditioned ones. Somehow I think you'll find it to be every bit as good and reliable as a new one.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2009, 02:31 PM »
Let us know how it works for you. A lot of us have bought and used Vexilars for years and posted a lot of reviews and reports. Nearly all were from people that bought new units. We would really like to hear how people are doing with their reconditioned ones. Somehow I think you'll find it to be every bit as good and reliable as a new one.

:tipup:
NBG

I do not have any experience with their reconditioned unit. There is this from their website:

"Each reconditioned unit arrives fully packaged in "like new" condition and backed by the same warranty as a brand new item."

And with their excellent customer service I would not hesitate to buy a reconditioned unit.

Offline iowafarmboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 19, 2009, 02:45 PM »
Lobes,  Until I opened the shipping box I was worried about the condition of the recon units.  However I cant see any sign of use at all.  The box, book, dvd, battery, charger and all look like brand new. We leave Sunday and I'll let you know how it worked.  Maybe I'll get out some night after work this week but seem to have a large honey do list with a week of fun on the trip coming up!

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:44 PM »
There are a couple of situations where flasher really shines.

The other day I was fishing sunnies. The the fish where finicky. I could see on the Vex that they would come up to the bait, give it a sniff, and head back down. By adding more waxies and adjusting my jigging I found out they wanted a lot of meat and a specific jigging pattern. Without the Vex I would have just deduced that there were no fish. With the Vex I caught a bunch of fish.

For suspended or cruising fish the vex will tell you where they are at, when they come in... My personal experience with theis is with crappies and lake trout.
same  with me hardh2o  ive found with my vex  there are a few fish  come in & sniff my jig  7 if they just sniff it  & thats it   there telling me to bring my jig up & look @ my bait  on my jig  the <hook> is showing  so i bring it up  quickly  & check it  & put it back down then usally i get a fish !!! RIGHT
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:48 PM »
I've tried pretty much everything out there (showdown, lowrance X67, zercoms, marcums, vexilars) and I would go with either an FL-18 or FL-20.  the bottom zoom is an oft used feature that some of the other units have.  The reason I like the Vexilars is simplicity and confidence.  I've had my fl-18 for years now, it works so simply but completely reliably.  Been dropped off a snowmobile at 50mph, off a quad at 30mph, into deep slush, and everything in between and just keeps on going.  the showdown feels chincy to me.  The lowrance is way too complicated (have to adjust pingspeed, sensitivity, color scale, etc), zercoms were nice but the hardware felt chincy to me, they were since bought out by marcum.  I don't like the key pad style control on the lx-5, nor do I like the "fine line" technology.
bigdonice   also my whole vex..... turned white  you couldnt see any blue  not even a trace fl8  so other fish finders try what happend to us guys LOL & ps works  the same as the day i got it
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline double

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:51 AM »
This is my third season with a reconditioned Marcum.  Worked and looked like new.  dd

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:35 AM »
This is my third season with a reconditioned Marcum.  Worked and looked like new.  dd

Wasn't the title "vexilar"? :-\

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #45 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:50 PM »
I would have no problem with a reconditioned unit. They are tested and tweaked to make sure everything is working the way it is supposed to. You are actually getting a new unit that has been tested, compared to a new unit off of the shelf. I actually like buying reconditioned electronic gear. One thing about it is that you won't have to send it in because it isn't working right.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline iowafarmboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2009, 08:39 AM »
Well the reconditioned vex Fl 8 worked perfect on Lake of the woods trip. Fishing wasn't as good as years past due to the snow on ice limiting travel up to garden island but can't blame that on the vexilar.  On a side note 2 guys in our group had new Lawrence units one loved his the other hated it.  Would only stay charged 3 or 4 hours.  I will buy another reconditioned vexilar if I updated to more bells and whistles later.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.