Author Topic: NILS Power Auger Issue?? ADVICE...  (Read 4851 times)

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
NILS Power Auger Issue?? ADVICE...
« on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Just bought a new nils 8 inch power auger, and I am having some issues.  I did a lot of research and was ready for it when it showed up.  I did a 50:1 mix for one tank and let it idle and did the whole recommended break in.  Then I took it out yesterday and tried to drill some holes.  It would cut about 3 inches and then get stuck, and i would have to lift it up to get the blade spinning again.  It would do that over and over til I got through the ice.  I have owned a nils hand auger for years so there was ABSOLUTELY no down pressure, and the blade has been properly protected.  I tried a bunch of holes and same story every time.  So what going on here.  THought maybe it was a blade issue or an issue with the powerhead throttle not getting to high enough rpms to properly cut.  I was still using the 50:1 mix, was planning to switch to amsoil saber pro with a 75:1 mix after this tank.  Would that help??  Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.  I want to get this thing cutting like I know it should.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: NILS Power Auger Issue?? ADVICE...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Did the engine continue running at the higher rpm rate when the auger stopped or did it bog down?

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:28 PM »
  I sold my 5 year old Nils and am using a new one this winter.   Your condition should improve in time.
   Running a tank of gas through is good but it is not broken in yet.   Also the engine has to be warmed up or for sure it'll bog.
If your using non-oxygenated 91 octane gas that is another problem.  Unfortunately you can't find it in 87 octane non oxy so be sure to use a fuel stabilizer for long term storage. During the winter I wouldn't use any stabli because that is also going to effect how it runs.

My old Tanaka I rejetted using one size over.  Walbro part #112-716
Better starts in frigid temps and much less time for warm ups and zero bog while drilling.
I'll probably be doing the same with the new Tanaka if I don't see much more improvement. after break in.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:34 PM »
It stars fine and idles fine, but yes it does bog down when the blade gets stuck.  I was running 89 octane from the gas station.  Not sure if i can find non oxygenated fuel.  This can't be normal, it was more work than drilling by hand.  In 20 inches of ice it was getting stuck and bogging down 6-7 times.  Was planning on calling nils on monday to see if they have any advice.  any other suggestions.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:11 PM »
Let a tank of gas or two run w/ it idling.  Can't hurt it.  Then see if you have the same problem.

If you do, I'd take it back.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2012, 11:12 PM »
How old is the cutting head?

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:22 AM »
The whole setup is brand new.  Yesterday I ran the remainder of the 50:1 mix trough it and then used the amsoil saber pro and did a 75:1 mix and took it out and it was cutting much better.  I drilled 30 holes through 10 inches of ice and it only got stuck once just slightly so hopefully it will get just get better from here. 

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Yep.  I would not have drilled any holes w/ 50:1.  It likes a leaner mix.  I filled my tank 75-80% full of 50:1 and then let it idle it empty.  After that I filled it w/ 100:1 amsoil saber pro.  Runs great at 6,000-8,000 ft here in Wyoming.

I bet your nils just needs to be ran a bit longer.... also try a 100:1 mix I know it works good for me, I'm pretty sure a lot of other tanaka owners use 100:1 too.

If you have these problems after 100 holes through 10"... maybe keep looking into it.  If it still does it after the break in period w/ amsoil then I think it is a cutting head problem.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2012, 12:10 PM »
Also not sure if you are doing this... but when you start your tanaka let it idle for 2-3 minutes at least before you start drilling.  Ideally 5 minutes, especially if it is really cold out.  This will allow it to get warmed up.  It will cut even better if you do this...

If you were not letting it warm up at all ....that combined w/ the new-ness of the engine could be causing the bogging down / getting stuck.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2012, 01:54 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  Yes i was letting it warm up at least a couple minutes.  I was planning to go to 100:1 after i used up what I have of 75:1, maybe I should just switch over now if it will make a difference in cutting.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2012, 01:57 PM »
Shawdog.  I've had my nils for almost 10 years now and have had that EXACT ISSUE a number of times

most likely its one of these

1) the throttle cable is getting stuck and not allowing the butterfly in the carb to open fully

2) the seals to the gas tank are leaking and not allowing the proper fuel pressure to the carb

3) the carb needs a rebuild

My Nils was actually doing exactly what you said this weekend and I need to fix it... yet again...

does your auger have a Tanaka or Solo engine?

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:11 PM »
It is brand new with the tanaka powerhead.  Being new i would assume it wouldn't be any of those except perhaps the first one.  That would ok, probably an easy fix.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:57 PM »
With the auger shaft on and idling, does the shaft rotate at all? If not adjust the idle screw until it starts to rotate then back it off until its barely moving. I'm running 50:1 91 non-oxy with saber pro right now and it runs really good. Run that 50:1 mix out mix a new batch 100:1 and new plug and give that a go.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Just wondering if any of you experience a lot of vibration and some rattling from the engine when it is idling.  It is definitely coming from the engine and not the adaptor connection.  Doesn't seem normal to me but this is my first power auger.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:50 PM »
Yes, I did notice this rattling on mine also but I think it's normal. So does your auger bit have any rotation while idling?

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:21 AM »
While it is warming up it has a very very slight rotation.  Once warm I didn't notice it.  I wasn't going to worry about it unless it got worse.  Would that make a difference in the power.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:39 PM »
No, that's should be normal. Just try what I suggested above and report back.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2012, 01:22 PM »
Called nils this morning after another outing with miserable results.  I have tried just about every oil gas mix with different octane gas and still the thing is still  ???gutless.  Talked to a nice guy for a long time and the conclusion he had was I have a defective motor, or one that just needs to be fixed.  Nearest dealer is 200 miles away, and if i send it to tanaka i probably wont get it back in time to try it on the ice.   Nils doesn't have any more powerheads right now so I can't just send back to them and get a new one.  May just return the whole thing and be done with it.  ???

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Fair enough.  There are defective augers of all brands and models.  Some more than others. 

It is a bummer but I have a feeling you bought the NILs after doing some research on it.  They are very dependable, awesome augers.  Some people have had their Tanaka run for 8-10 years without any troubles.  They are quality.

If I were in your shoes I'd be tempted to try something else: but I'm not, I'm in my shoes ;D, and I love my NILS and wouldn't think of buying another brand.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Fair enough.  There are defective augers of all brands and models.  Some more than others. 

It is a bummer but I have a feeling you bought the NILs after doing some research on it.  They are very dependable, awesome augers.  Some people have had their Tanaka run for 8-10 years without any troubles.  They are quality.

If I were in your shoes I'd be tempted to try something else: but I'm not, I'm in my shoes ;D, and I love my NILS and wouldn't think of buying another brand.

Thats just it. I do want a Nils, just one that works, ie not this one.  Unfortunately Nils doesn't have any that I can exchange for at the moment.  I'm not going to drive 400 miles round trip to have the engine worked on especially because I don't know whats wrong with it.  The guy I talked to at Tanaka said they would have to look at the one I have before they sent me a replacement, ie I might get one in a month or two.  Unfortunately I sold my other one and have a 4 day fishing trip that starts tomorrow????

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:29 PM »
It is still bogging down and getting stuck?  The cutting head is fine?  Everything is sharp?  Is the "guide-bit" sharpened?

100:1 Amsoil Saber pro?

Is there ethanol in the gas you are using?  That should not be the problem but who knows that stuff is evil.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Cutting head is fine, using 100:1 amsoil saber pro.  Just think I got a lemon.  It happens, just wish it didn't happen to me.  I'm sure it will get figured out and hopefully i will have a new one SOONER rather than later.  Between cabelas and Nils you can't get better customer service. 

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2012, 07:20 PM »
That is the truth.  Well good luck.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Did you change the spark plug? Adjust the throttle so it turns a little bit more at idle and try again :-\.

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:05 PM »
I'm not going to drive 400 miles round trip to have the engine worked on especially because I don't know whats wrong with it. 

Why drive it?  Mail it with insurance.  It only weighs 12lbs.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Why drive it?  Mail it with insurance.  It only weighs 12lbs.

It isn't the money as much as it is the fact I paid over 500 dollars for a new auger, not for one that I have to spend more money to ship it away to be fixed right out of the box.  Let only the fact that it will take 2-3 weeks. 

Evobassfish- I have a little time before I take off and might try that one last time.  If I don't see the results I want it is going back next week.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:48 PM »
I bought mine this year, mixed fuel, primed it and ran it...It runs so smoothly and cuts so fast i thought I was standing on unsafe ice it took 3 secondes for 6-8 inches of ice.  My only complaint is the bit itself grabs on the way out of the hole...Good luck..
Barebow

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:53 PM »
It isn't the money as much as it is the fact I paid over 500 dollars for a new auger, not for one that I have to spend more money to ship it away to be fixed right out of the box.  Let only the fact that it will take 2-3 weeks. 

Evobassfish- I have a little time before I take off and might try that one last time.  If I don't see the results I want it is going back next week.
Sorry for the trouble that your having with the Nils, just trying to help you figure out the problem. Don't let this misfortune deter you from buying another tanaka. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything else. Good luck!

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2012, 12:03 AM »
Yeah I agree.  I would spend the money to ship it.  Yeah you shouldn't have to spend that extra money on getting it working... but you do want a Tanaka in the first place... and you don't really have any other options.

I'd ship it and get that sucker fixed. ;)

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:12 PM »
Well I got it figured out.  Luckily my brother has a 8 inch hand auger and he brought it on our trip this weekend.  I put his auger on and it cut through 25 inches of ice like butter.  I had a feeling that it might have been the cutting head.  I think it was sharpened to aggressive and was biting too much.  anyway, going to call nils in the morning as see if I can get a new cutting head.  It started this morning on the second pull in -5 degree weather.  Gotta love that.  Thanks for all your suggestions. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.