The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice holes freezing over. Solution  (Read 7984 times)

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice holes freezing over. Solution
« Reply #30 on: Dec 09, 2019, 08:04 AM »
I know most you have probably seen this but this is another option to prevent ice from building up in the hole. This is probably more if your fishing the hole with your flasher.

https://coldnationoutdoors.com/product/ice-defense-pro/

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 09, 2019, 08:17 AM »
I love this hobby. On one hand you got guys that think $100 ice rods are blasphemy then on the other hand you got guys suggesting a $100 water pump to keep holes clean lol. All we have to do is look in someone’s sled to see what their priorities are. Just an innocent observation. :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 09, 2019, 09:04 AM »
I know most you have probably seen this but this is another option to prevent ice from building up in the hole. This is probably more if your fishing the hole with your flasher.

https://coldnationoutdoors.com/product/ice-defense-pro/
Wait a minute. Ice defense Pro Series? If you're sitting there staring at your flasher, you don't need another electronic device to keep the hole ice free. You've got your skimmer right next to you. Pick it up. Skim. Put it back down. Not that tough.  Another solution in search of a problem.
The problem that actually needs a solution is for the remote holes under tip-ups or snappers or deadsticks that ice over a little too quickly and when you don't want to be constantly on the march to keep the line free. There are some workable solutions to the problem in this thread but also a couple of somewhat bone head ideas.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 09, 2019, 09:08 AM »

Fishing Alka Seltzer keeps holes ice free.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 09, 2019, 08:42 PM »
Go to Walmart hunting/fishing dept.
They have 14x14x3/4 thermal foam seat pads.
I use them on Fort Peck and the hole stays open  even when left out overnite.
They cost $4.42 each.
FP1

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 09, 2019, 09:00 PM »
Wait a minute. Ice defense Pro Series? If you're sitting there staring at your flasher, you don't need another electronic device to keep the hole ice free. You've got your skimmer right next to you. Pick it up. Skim. Put it back down. Not that tough.  Another solution in search of a problem.
The problem that actually needs a solution is for the remote holes under tip-ups or snappers or deadsticks that ice over a little too quickly and when you don't want to be constantly on the march to keep the line free. There are some workable solutions to the problem in this thread but also a couple of somewhat bone head ideas.

Just sharing what I saw. I don’t own one.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 09, 2019, 09:01 PM »
I love this hobby. On one hand you got guys that think $100 ice rods are blasphemy then on the other hand you got guys suggesting a $100 water pump to keep holes clean lol. All we have to do is look in someone’s sled to see what their priorities are. Just an innocent observation. :tipup:

Just sharing what I saw. I don’t own one. The guy asked how to keep his hole from freezing. This is just another idea.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #37 on: Dec 11, 2019, 03:25 AM »
Just use axle grease to smear around the hole edge and when it freezes you can just pull the ice plug out with no problem.  Let me know if it works!  ;D
wish you many hook-ups

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 11, 2019, 09:12 AM »

Can you say Re-dun-dant, boys and girls?? ;D ::)
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 11, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Just sharing what I saw. I don’t own one. The guy asked how to keep his hole from freezing. This is just another idea.
No blame attaches to you, Manning. Showing what's out there is good. Hole freeze has been plaguing Mankind since Neanderthal man first crawled out of his cave and onto the ice.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline xmrspraynprayx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 16, 2019, 04:09 AM »
I feel as though the one that is supposed to keep the ice off your hole on your transducer is less of an issue. Usually even if you arent in an ice house, you are making enough motion or something that you rarely have freeze up. Even if you do you can tap it out with a slush scooper no problem. Tip ups is where that bubble from Amazon you suggested would be sweet.

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 16, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Quantoson , what was the number of the EPA again?
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Hole covers are all I need and if I am working a hole I always have a scoop handy... I can see where if you try to use one of those Ice Defenders and are pan fishing the moving water would wipe out your ability to detect light bites... With your light line "vibrating" in the flow of the pumped water, I would be setting the hook on nothing constantly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.