Author Topic: Woodstove vs. Propane Heater  (Read 8666 times)

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Woodstove vs. Propane Heater
« Reply #30 on: Nov 23, 2006, 12:27 PM »
That's, TOP OF THE LINE, Fishkeeper!!  :)
Thank you, brujharr .
The stove can get very hot but with the tin roofing (behind stove) hanging on nails the wall paneling(behind tin) doesn't get very hot .There are openings cut into the btm. of the tin roofing, so as the tin  heats up cool air is sucked in and up the 1 1/2 " gap behind tin , cooling off the whole works ....just a safety precaution for those thinking of using wood heat .
I will repeat myself ...the tin is NOT nailed directly to the wall panels, but is HUNG on nails away from the paneling . The tin doesn't touch the wall .
I have no problem with puddles forming under my shack(from the heat of the stove)...but then  the top surface of the floor is +11" ...(3/4" + 3 1/2" + 5 1/2" plus blocking) away from the ice surface .

Offline GNT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater 24/7
« Reply #31 on: Nov 23, 2006, 05:47 PM »
The stove for my shanty will cost about $80, and probably just put some tin behind the stove for protection. I figure run the pipe sraight up through the roof instead of out the wall. Definately insulate the floor to eliminate water puddles.For some reason I am having a hard time finding sheets of tin in my area, eventually I will find something. I did get the roof finished on the weekend, my cousin wants to use black shingle paper to wrap the shanty.....any opinions?

Offline arctic1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 23, 2006, 07:50 PM »
 Go to your local newspaper and see if they have any old press plates lying around. This is what I used behind my stove and it works great.

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 24, 2006, 06:05 PM »
hmm, I have an Eskimo quick flip 3.. I use propane, but if I had a shack that was permanent I would go with the wood in a heart beat because I think you get the true outdoor experience and burning wood smells good and helps you relax

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 25, 2006, 06:42 PM »
Fishkepper! Where, do you put your cold air duct's, if any?  ???

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #35 on: Nov 26, 2006, 12:24 AM »
this little puppy is just the ticket for my 8x8 ... bring on the ice !!

grumpymoe

« Reply #36 on: Nov 26, 2006, 10:28 AM »
darn nice classic there SDB!!...cant wait until you get some pics of the stove in action along with some goodies in the pan.....SDB....Grump  8)

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2006, 06:12 PM »
Nice stove, billditrite!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:19 PM »
Wood is the only way to go in a semi-permanent or permanent shack.  Propane and the humidity it creates, together with the ventilation required for the propane heater are not my bag of goods!!!  We use wood in our permanent shack, and propane in our portables in northern Alberta for that reason.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:26 PM »
darn nice classic there SDB!!...cant wait until you get some pics of the stove in action along with some goodies in the pan.....SDB....Grump  8)

i thought about restoring it but honestly think someone would steal it so decided to stay with traditional rust  ;) the stove was given to me by fiddlehead...he is a crappie shack regular and the donation is much appreciated...thanks again Rich  :clap:  SDB I cant wait to be able to give you those pics...got a special venison backstrap set aside for the occasion

Offline Thestanimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Learn How to Work Kid"
« Reply #40 on: Nov 27, 2006, 10:38 AM »
Stanimal - from yesterday's Uncle Henry's:

box woodstove - $25 Portland  615-6107
Scandia 12 X 22 - $175  Richmond  737-2664
wood end heater - $75  Livermore Falls  897-3317

All would fit the bill for an ice shack.  Good luck.

Thanks for the info-greatly appreciated
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 27, 2006, 11:45 AM »
Fishkepper! Where, do you put your cold air duct's, if any?  ???
d
Don't have any , unless you count the two fishing holes in diagonally opposite corners .

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #42 on: Nov 27, 2006, 03:38 PM »
I had a friend build my wood stove. I use both wood and propane depending on the day. I took 2 chevy vega drive shafts,cut the ends off and welded them together to make my chiminey.Works great!!!!!

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #43 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:23 PM »
Stumper:
how can you butcher an american classic such as the Vega in that way?????!!!!!????
Philistine!!
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:47 PM »
Wood.
Wood.
And, did I mention wood? (for a decent sized hard size).

I think putting any sized wood stove inside something smaller than 4'x8' (that is insulated)
would be too hot, but talk to me later in the season if I get too cold and wind up putting
my little Nuway in my coroplast shack.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #45 on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:08 AM »
Stumper:
how can you butcher an american classic such as the Vega in that way?????!!!!!????
Philistine!!
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

LOL ,I have junked out about 35 of vegas in my racing days, I would KILL to have all those parts I threw out now.They would sell like hot cakes on Ebay.

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 30, 2006, 06:04 PM »
GNT: check out Kifaru stoves, they are collapsable and very pricey.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #47 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:11 PM »
My mechanic has a b***hin vega he turned into a dragster and runs up in quebec.  It is truly an unladen beast of torque!!!!

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #48 on: Dec 01, 2006, 09:24 PM »

My wood stove

pcsminer

« Reply #49 on: Dec 03, 2006, 02:14 PM »
What i did in my shack was took a wood stovecut the bottom out welded perferated metal in. Drilled a hole in the side then got a burner out of a old water heater and placed it inside.. tack it down though. the hole in the side is for the steel line to come out. It then went to a copper line out side where i keep my 30lbs propane bottle.
The heat is great... i can make the 1/8 inch top glow red...plus all the fumes are piped out through the chimney.
I do also recomend puting a baffle inside the stove partially blocking straight access to the chimney because it will definately glow red. which makes it more dangerous.
I can get pics if you like but it might take a little while i gotta work for the next week and a half.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.