New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827305 times)

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #2730 on: Jan 18, 2014, 01:45 PM »
       I must say, I am impressed. It is nice to see some eloquent, well written posts and opinions. Both sides of the issue are well stated, starting  with a perhaps a bit overstated opinion by Iceaddict followed by a well written mea culpa by billybob 851 and an excellent rejoinder by burningdownthehouse. All proof we are more than just a bunch of dumb rednecks. It is nice to read some posts and commentary infused with more than YEH! X2 , Nice Fish, That's what I'm talking about and mindless commentary and quips of one another's fishing exploits.
       As iceaddict stated , that is his opinion and properly shared by many on this forum, however it has always been my opinion that we ISers are here not only to kibitx and chide one another about our fishing skills or lack thereof, but also to welcome our newbies and those who are honestly seeking improvement with their fishing skills. I myself have had to map this perilous trek to acquire  ice fishing mastery, alternately through self deprecating humor and  honest genuine inquiry. It is no dishonor to ask questions. It is however laziness on the part of the knowledge seeker as nightfisher has alluded to in the previous post when the answer is available with a little extra back reading.
       Further, it has always been my nature to go directly to the source. I make every effort to first read and then to develop a relationship with the person I am seeking to gain knowledge from primarily via PMing them. That way, the offerer of  knowledge is left to sift through his emails and to determine if he or she chooses to share this knowledge or not. This is not to say, iceaddict, Snagger, Filetandrelease ,KP, DD or Sully are obligated to respond, but it yields to them the option of answering or not. This way the inquirer is not subject to full frontal assault for asking the most benign of questions.
       Lastly, all of the aforementioned and many other experts I have failed to mention are genuine emissaries of the sport and will depart to you as much information as they feel you can handle. We, here in the central and northern region have a great bunch of guys to learn from. We are so blessed, just don't ask me the co-ordinates of the "Honey Hole"  ;)2

Good post and of course well put.Your college creative writing class is showing.One thing I've learned over the years of talking to and fishing with knowledgable fisherpersons(and I do mean persons.Have met more than a few ladies who can out fish me 10 to 1)is that one should not be surprised to find out they are very intelligent.While the quarry we are after may have the brain the size do a pea.We are competing more against(or with) the thousands and thousands of years of evolution.The fish we seek aren't here because of their lack of ability to survive against countless obstacles and predators well versed in the surviving and flourishing in the same environment.I've personally never met an expert fisherman that was unintelligent.

Offline CrappieAttitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • golly thats good
« Reply #2731 on: Jan 18, 2014, 01:56 PM »
Just got in from fishing the South shore with my father and younger brother.  Was snowing like crazy on the walk out. Had fish on the screen all morning long. Getting them to bite was a different story. Managed to get a nice meal of some nice perch and iced my first burbot. Back at it tomorrow.
Take it for what it's worth

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2732 on: Jan 18, 2014, 02:06 PM »
I've always been the type that learns better by doing.  There's definately little "tricks" that you can pick up her on iceshanty, but getting on the ice and figuring it out for yourself is so much more satisfying than copying someones elses tactics.  You never know, maybe you'll come up with you own little "trick" that a seasoned fisherman might ask you about!   ;D

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #2733 on: Jan 18, 2014, 02:26 PM »
I used to take personal time out of my schedule to teach adults and most importantly youngsters how to ice fish. It's just that sometimes it gets a bit frustrating lending an ear or giving some friendly advice to strangers on the forums, just to end up getting aggravated because it wasn't enough for some as they make that perfectly clear when they pm you asking for more detailed information, then get mad because you didn't offer up your coordinates. It's just crazy to me, but like I said earlier, maybe I'm on my own in my views, but I know there are many others here that feel the same. I used to contribute much more to this forum but was overwhelmed with inconsiderate people after a while. When it comes to getting help along the way, yes, yes I have been given pointers by other more experienced fisherman at some point or another, and I am still learning. I am 45 years old now, and as God is my witness I've made my own path in this sport, way back when, I fished by myself 95 percent of the time, I used to get my hands on every fathomable piece of info I could so that I could gain knowledge and put it to the test, that gave me a sense of accomplishment that I would not trade with anyone ever! I've ice fished on every possible level one can think of, from national championships In the furthest reaches of northern minessota and Wisconsin too backyard ponds with kids. I consider myself somewhat of an ambassador to the sport, through the countless hours I've spent on the ice to teaching kids how to fish at pre tournament clinics. I just wanted to get one thing straight, I have ALWAYS done what I can to help others out in this sport, but it gets frustrating sometimes when people basically expect handouts, I guess that's the world we live in now for the most part, instant gratification at all costs, makes me kinda sad that's all. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers here, I was just trying to get a point across.
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline jiginjumbos

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2734 on: Jan 18, 2014, 02:36 PM »
good fishing to all the Oneida lake diehards , I don't want to know anyone fishing spot or how to fish just want to know if there any access of the north shore off of Cleveland for my 4 Wheeler. coming out next weekend....
THINK COLD WEATHER AND COLD BEER.........

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2735 on: Jan 18, 2014, 02:39 PM »
Was great last weekend, should be all good now! Things refroze and tightened up pretty good now, at least that's what I was told recently. Good luck!

Oh yeah, apps landing, Cleveland ny, bait shop right there! State access point.

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #2736 on: Jan 18, 2014, 02:45 PM »
John, I personally have to agree with every opinion on here and especially yours as I kind of feel the same. The problem with the new generation is technology and the fact that everything is simpler now. Hell 15 years ago I was using the lowrance green box flasher cause I though it was the bomb. Now look at us with led screens and navionics apps let alone the number of people who are getting in the sport. We used to build our own shanty's and pull them out hoping we didn't have to move them again cause they were so big and now we have portable 6 man shanty's. Not to nothing I go fishing to get away from the very day crowds of business and if I do good yah I will post a pic but I think I have earned it after all the hours of being skunked or just getting a few but not once have I asked where to go or what to use. I used to be in the tournament bass scene and for the same reason these rants got started I gave that up as well. We spend countless dollars and time to perfect something and when we get it down your expected to give it up so someone else can feel the rewards without the effort. Nope not this guy sorry if this pisses some people off but sometimes you just have to say it how it is and that's it.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #2737 on: Jan 18, 2014, 02:47 PM »
good fishing to all the Oneida lake diehards , I don't want to know anyone fishing spot or how to fish just want to know if there any access of the north shore off of Cleveland for my 4 Wheeler. coming out next weekend
Yes right at APP's landing you can park there and drive off end of point right onto the ice
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #2738 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Part of the reason I love fishing is the challenge. Things change day to day. You have to learn to adapt, to pick up on patterns, and try every trick in the book. And sometimes that's not even enough. I'll say it again. It's called fishing not catching. If you caught everything you wanted every time out it wouldnt be as fun or rewarding would it?

Offline TeamTaberg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2739 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Anybody know where the walleye are hitting on oneida?

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2740 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Part of the reason I love fishing is the challenge. Things change day to day. You have to learn to adapt, to pick up on patterns, and try every trick in the book. And sometimes that's not even enough. I'll say it again. It's called fishing not catching. If you caught everything you wanted every time out it wouldnt be as fun or rewarding would it?

Spot on brother!

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline hockey316m

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2741 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:29 PM »
I also fished the south shore. The drag sucked!! Glare ice under 2+ inches of snow. Fish under us all day from beginning to end. Tried nearly every jig/lure. Spikes, minnow heads, buckeyes, fatheads.... Didn't matter they weren't taking anything. Caught 3 perch on 3 different combinations lol! Crack by the pier was easy to cross. Both wheelers and sleds were out and about.

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #2742 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:36 PM »
I used to take personal time out of my schedule to teach adults and most importantly youngsters how to ice fish. It's just that sometimes it gets a bit frustrating lending an ear or giving some friendly advice to strangers on the forums, just to end up getting aggravated because it wasn't enough for some as they make that perfectly clear when they pm you asking for more detailed information, then get mad because you didn't offer up your coordinates. It's just crazy to me, but like I said earlier, maybe I'm on my own in my views, but I know there are many others here that feel the same. I used to contribute much more to this forum but was overwhelmed with inconsiderate people after a while. When it comes to getting help along the way, yes, yes I have been given pointers by other more experienced fisherman at some point or another, and I am still learning. I am 45 years old now, and as God is my witness I've made my own path in this sport, way back when, I fished by myself 95 percent of the time, I used to get my hands on every fathomable piece of info I could so that I could gain knowledge and put it to the test, that gave me a sense of accomplishment that I would not trade with anyone ever! I've ice fished on every possible level one can think of, from national championships In the furthest reaches of northern minessota and Wisconsin too backyard ponds with kids. I consider myself somewhat of an ambassador to the sport, through the countless hours I've spent on the ice to teaching kids how to fish at pre tournament clinics. I just wanted to get one thing straight, I have ALWAYS done what I can to help others out in this sport, but it gets frustrating sometimes when people basically expect handouts, I guess that's the world we live in now for the most part, instant gratification at all costs, makes me kinda sad that's all. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers here, I was just trying to get a point across.

I am by no means as experienced or knowledgeable as you.So I have not dedicated the time and effort that you have.Yet I still feel the same as you.Even with my limited amount of time on the hard and soft water.I have shared what I know and gone as far as to draw maps and post them here.I always figured it would give others the knowledge of seeing what TYPE of location the fish on that given water may be found.But in my ignorance I failed to realize how others would use the info.Next thing you know it became a mob scene or even worse.If it was a small body of water I've watched as it became over fished and killed as a prime pond or lake.So while I am not afraid to share what little I know with others and totally take in any shared knowledge of theirs.I tend to do it more via PM these days.Also as one who doesn't mind a friendly hello and how are you doing and what's working for you today.I do like to stay away from the crowd.It is my valued alone time I need for recharging after the hectic week of work....and when things are the best I get to share my "alone" time with my wife(even if she is a better fishing person than me)sometimes my kids and even a good friend or two.

Offline perryzf81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2743 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:45 PM »
As much as I did not want to, I decided to try a new spot today. LOOKERS LOOKERS LOOKERS and even more LOOKERS. I have never seen my screen so lit up and struggled to catch them. Must have tried 15 different lures, different size baits, slow, fast, medium, and dead stick. UGH!  Although it was fun to try a new spot, I probably should have gone right back to where I have been catching them. NEVER LEAVE FISH TO FIND FISH. Still a good day on the ice!! Hope others had more luck than I did..........I am sure I will see a whole bunch of pictures later tonight, which will make me want to get up and go out again!!!
FISH  ON !!!

Offline minettoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2744 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Another great day on the Big O today. Had a chance a fish with a old friend today (eyehole). He taught me a good lesson between 7 and 8 am...to a point where I was getting a tad cranky listening to him pound the eyes with a few consolation jumbo's. I made a move literally 15 feet next him and it paid off. He continued to outfish me until I changed to a different rod and reel. We both dropped as many eyes as we iced and lost count. The action stopped around 11:00 am. Notice the whiteout we were fishing in when he took a pic of the 22 incher that went back in the hole. I was on top of 14 inches of ice on the North Shore. Moved to look for perch but they were holding tight to the bottom. Thanks for a great day Mike...one to remember

When I go fishing I like to know that there's nobody within five miles of me.

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2745 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:15 PM »
Ice-addict I don't want any info but can I HAVE YOUR GEAR!  :woot:

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #2746 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:18 PM »
nice job brother. now we got snow on the ice ::)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2747 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:26 PM »
I went way off the beaten track today and tried a few spots I marked on Navionics last night. Didn't mark a fish till the third one and that was the last. Got over 30 keepers, 10 over 20" (Not by much though. No bruisers.).

After all the dragging and picking away at 'em so far this year it was nice to finally get to sit in one spot for awhile.

Here's a nice 4.5lb football that went back.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #2748 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:34 PM »
hit the north shore this morning and tried for eyes on a drop off. i dumped like 4 at the hole >:(. made a big move out to 32' and marked a couple then got a phone call from KP. made one more move and ended up with 20 nice perch. i know KP and Coach had more then me ;) the weather was horrible with wind and snow. must be like 6-8" out there now + drifts.

got some big ones and some medium sized ones today. also my second biggest perch of the year so far. 13 5/8 "
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2749 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:42 PM »
hit the north shore this morning and tried for eyes on a drop off. i dumped like 4 at the hole >:(. made a big move out to 32' and marked a couple then got a phone call from KP. made one more move and ended up with 20 nice perch. i know KP and Coach had more then me ;) the weather was horrible with wind and snow. must be like 6-8" out there now + drifts.

got some big ones and some medium sized ones today. also my second biggest perch of the year so far. 13 5/8 "
Nice catch!  6-8 plus drifts? Hope you had your hip waders! :P

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #2750 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:43 PM »

Nice perch! I havent been able to find them yet. Like that at least. Is there really that much snow? I just ordered some microspikes that'll be here Monday. Got tired of sliding all over. Now I'm going to need snowshoes! Haha. That's the way it goes I suppose. If anyone is going out next week I'll be out there. Look for the IS flag flying high.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2751 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Didn't make it out but had reports from good guys tough bite on both perch and eyes. Congrats to those who did well

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2752 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:54 PM »

Good to fish with you again HT! Them perch can get a little annoying when your targeting Burbot :woot: My biggest perch was 13 1/2

Offline jj7leaf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2753 on: Jan 18, 2014, 05:01 PM »
sorry but that happens , fishing is always slow  ;)  and they really don't have any pride at all , they just want to catch fish , know what they say about nice guys  :o

It wouldn't be too bad but this guy with a pop up checks is out and sees us having some fun. Now after not even heading that direction you drill holes 21 yards from our shanties Friday. Saturday he must have gotten up at 3am because as we pull up, go figure you and your buddies are USING our holes.

Pretty lame, it's a big lake boys. All the fish are not right there.

And Fillet you are right, always being the nice guy, filling in a guy brought that on.
From now on, definately gonna be slow...

Jason

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2754 on: Jan 18, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Another great day on the Big O today. Had a chance a fish with a old friend today (eyehole). He taught me a good lesson between 7 and 8 am...to a point where I was getting a tad cranky listening to him pound the eyes with a few consolation jumbo's. I made a move literally 15 feet next him and it paid off. He continued to outfish me until I changed to a different rod and reel. We both dropped as many eyes as we iced and lost count. The action stopped around 11:00 am. Notice the whiteout we were fishing in when he took a pic of the 22 incher that went back in the hole. I was on top of 14 inches of ice on the North Shore. Moved to look for perch but they were holding tight to the bottom. Thanks for a great day Mike...one to remember
well done guys MM,KP, Coach And HT , and coach quizzed me on spot and lure , that was fun  ;) super count guys , and nice fish and
 IceAddict your a solid guy your top notch in my book and a great ice fishermen , always an honor to eye fish along side you and your buds 

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #2755 on: Jan 18, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Nice fish guys!!! :thumbsup:
Wayne W.

Offline minettoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2756 on: Jan 18, 2014, 05:30 PM »

Glad you could find em...13..5/8 means you need a 14". I talked with some folks today out there. The perch bite was a tough one. Let me guess..your after Mr Waldo tommorrow??
When I go fishing I like to know that there's nobody within five miles of me.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2757 on: Jan 18, 2014, 05:31 PM »

JJ7leaf just a little thing I do is check out their posts and read most it will give may give you a little insight , you know which way it is heading , best phrase I like is don;t want your cords but in the general area LOL guess you can't see me right  ;D WOW guess I'm a little  ::)

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2758 on: Jan 18, 2014, 05:36 PM »
well done guys MM,KP, Coach And HT , and coach quizzed me on spot and lure , that was fun ;) super count guys , and nice fish and
 IceAddict your a solid guy your top notch in my book and a great ice fishermen , always an honor to eye fish along side you and your buds
I do that to keep Release's mind sharp!! You really should give him more credit :woot:

Offline cnyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2759 on: Jan 18, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Looks like the snow is finally done. Wow it was really coming down.
"catch em all let god sort em out"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.