Author Topic: Little buddy on bulk tank?  (Read 11956 times)

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Little buddy on bulk tank?
« on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Anyone ever use a 20 lb tank, 5 ft hose, fuel filter, and little buddy heater?

Go Beavers!

Offline perchbrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Little buddy on bulk tank?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:56 PM »
Not personaly but heard the filter is a must...more condensation/water with the larger tanks I guess.
BAIT (√) BEER (√) SHANTY (√) FISH (?) STORY (√)

Offline jd86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:00 PM »
I have mine hooked up to an 11 pounder with the "green" hose and no filter.

Offline 10th MTN Dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please pass the peck of pickled Pickerel and Pike!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:23 PM »
I use my little buddy on a 20 Lb tank with just the hose and I have not had any problems. What's this "Fuel Filter" you are talking about??

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:24 PM »
My buddy uses this exact set up and it works great.  I just purchased the big buddy and went with the regulated house which does not require a filter.

Offline spud bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Yep, especially when I know I'm going to run it all day.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Long term life of the heater the filter is a must unless you enjoy taking it apart to clean the orifice tube every couple years.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:40 PM »
4 years with 20# tank with 10' hose and no problems.  maybe its good to use filter but ive seen no need so far.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Long term life of the heater the filter is a must unless you enjoy taking it apart to clean the orifice tube every couple years.

Heed this advice:  Toofuss speaks the truth! ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline MT JigMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:51 PM »
My buddy uses this exact set up and it works great.  I just purchased the big buddy and went with the regulated house which does not require a filter.

Does that hose have the quick attachment on it?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:00 PM »
4-pounder, green hose, no filter, no problems.  Just make sure the connections are tight (esp. the one at the heater).

A couple of recent, related discussions: 

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=270527.msg2786744#msg2786744
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=271612.0
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:04 PM »
What are you guys talking about? Little buddy cannot be used with a bigger tank unless you make a special base for it and lug that around too. You can't just hook up a 20lb tank and go.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:07 PM »
 :P My bad!  I'm using a Portable Buddy.  Not to be confused with Big Buddy, Little Buddy, or Hunting Buddy.

Color me stupid and call me purple.

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline 10th MTN Dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please pass the peck of pickled Pickerel and Pike!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Yep...Same mistake here. Portable buddy, not the little buddy...Always called it a little buddy but its not. Thanks for setting us straight with the picture. Portable buddy can use the standard small propane tank and any bulk tank with the optional hose. Never even considered a filter.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2014, 11:03 AM »
This is a pic of the filter I use on my Buddy when hooked to a 20lb propane tank.
I bought it at Gander Mountain.

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Filter should be used with the black hose due to a breakdown in the hose causing an oily substance to clog the heater. You may be lucky for a while but it will eventually catch up to you if you refuse to use the filter. The green hose does not require the use of a filter but it is my understanding that it is very stiff in the cold weather. Filters are a cheap solution to avoid a lot of trouble and possible replacement of your heater.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2014, 11:32 AM »
Im sorry everyone! I should have given a picture...

The reason that I want to run this off a 20 lb tank is so that it can just keep my small 4x8 house warm while I am away. The reason I would use this heater compared to my portable buddy heater is because it is much more efficient. I usually get an hour or two more out of this little buddy compared to portable buddy on low.

I would build a stand for it to sit on, and then there wouldnt be any worries. I am just curious as to whether or not anyone has done this before. Thanks!

CI

Go Beavers!

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Yeah... Can we run a little buddy without the 1lb bottle of propane?
The bottle screws on and becomes part of the heater to support and stabilize.  I'm interested in downsizing from the buddy heater to the little buddy but want to keep my 5 lb propane tank and hose. 
Has anyone discovered a successful rigging for it ??
Sportsman

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2014, 11:57 AM »
You'll have to build a platform for the head to sit on, with a 2" hole drilled in the center for the hose. Run the hose and connect it to the bottom of the head just like you would a 1lb and set the head unit on the platform.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:11 PM »

Yep, I've rigged mine up to run directly from the tank fitting, no hose required.  It is supported the same way a sunflower style heater is supported, using the fittings for support.

I am away from home for a few days or I would post a picture.  What I have is from the tank end, a POL fitting--pipe threads on the other end.  The pipe threads screw into a brass elbow.  The other end of the elbow has a short pipe nipple (also brass) this in turn is screwed into a fitting which converts the pipe to the same threads as a 1lb tank fitting.  The whole assembly is screwed to the LittleBuddy in place of the 1lb tank.  Then the POL fitting is screwed into the 5lb tank valve.  Same fittings will work for a 5lb, 11lb or 20lb tank.

It works good!  Only thing is there is no provision for a filter but none should be needed as it is all hard fittings and no hose.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:30 PM »

Yep, I've rigged mine up to run directly from the tank fitting, no hose required.  It is supported the same way a sunflower style heater is supported, using the fittings for support.

I am away from home for a few days or I would post a picture.  What I have is from the tank end, a POL fitting--pipe threads on the other end.  The pipe threads screw into a brass elbow.  The other end of the elbow has a short pipe nipple (also brass) this in turn is screwed into a fitting which converts the pipe to the same threads as a 1lb tank fitting.  The whole assembly is screwed to the LittleBuddy in place of the 1lb tank.  Then the POL fitting is screwed into the 5lb tank valve.  Same fittings will work for a 5lb, 11lb or 20lb tank.

It works good!  Only thing is there is no provision for a filter but none should be needed as it is all hard fittings and no hose.

I would really like to see some pictures of that!

Go Beavers!

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:57 PM »
I would really like to see some pictures of that!

I get back home next Monday and will try to post a picture or two soon after that.
take care,

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Picture  ...  me too 

Re; filter - couldnt one be put 'inline' just as easy ?  the picture will help with this understanding
Sportsman

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Do you guys have issues starting your heaters in the extreme cold with a bulk tank? I have a problem with the gas getting too cold with pounders, but does the same happen with bulk? Thanks!

CI

Go Beavers!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:53 PM »
Did it all he time in my last shack and the filter is a must have.

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:15 PM »
Yeah... Can we run a little buddy without the 1lb bottle of propane?
The bottle screws on and becomes part of the heater to support and stabilize.  I'm interested in downsizing from the buddy heater to the little buddy but want to keep my 5 lb propane tank and hose. 
Has anyone discovered a successful rigging for it ??

the biggest problem I see would be stability. IF you can rig some way to attach a hook, loop etc. on the top of the heater, you can just use a hose with a pol connection to the bulk tank, and they have them with the 1 lb. tank fixture on the other. I don't know what you're fishing in, but could you imagine a way of suspending the heater from the ceiling and away from other combustable matls.? You could adjust the height off the ice to suit your needs, and if you are concerned about heating the ceiling too much you could make an efficient heat diffuser out of Al foil for that. Just some on the spot thinking. Oh, if you don't want to hang it, you'll need to come up with a substantial base and then you can get all the brass fixtures you need to "plumb" the base from Lowes or other store. I'd also do some extensive testing afterwards, and before you take it out for real.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Little buddy on bulk tank? pictures of direct hookup
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Here are the pictures I promised.

Hope this helps any one who might be interested.  BTW I did not add a inline filter but, one could be added just by screwing it in place.
take care,

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:57 PM »
That is perfect! Nice! You wouldnt need to run a filter though since no hose right?

Go Beavers!

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:08 PM »
That is perfect! Nice! You wouldnt need to run a filter though since no hose right?

That is correct.
take care,

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Filter should be used with the black hose due to a breakdown in the hose causing an oily substance to clog the heater. You may be lucky for a while but it will eventually catch up to you if you refuse to use the filter. The green hose does not require the use of a filter but it is my understanding that it is very stiff in the cold weather. Filters are a cheap solution to avoid a lot of trouble and possible replacement of your heater.
exactly...well said!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.