Author Topic: Took the dog ice fishing....  (Read 3448 times)

servocam

Took the dog ice fishing....
« on: Jan 21, 2010, 10:00 PM »
So after reading all the past threads about taking the dog ice fishing, I thought it be a good night to do so.  She is a 14mo Bullboxer (1/2 Pitty, 1/2 Boxer).

As expected, she was very well behaved.  She makes a good guard dog as well.  Heard someone walking outside - she gave the quite "woof-woof" warning of "I don't know what that is."  Then a nice very loud bark - pry scared the guy half to death. Another time, she hear someone else's dog bark and gave the loud "baaarrrrrooooooo" howl/bark she does followed by a few short loud barks before I gave the "HUSH"

This is her barking at a turtle she found in the yard this summer:

She had fun running around outside, drinking from the hole and cuddled up on a rug.  She did get to meet some of the neighbors (on-leash) then they were fine w/ me taking her off leash.

Waiting for a command:

Coming to say hello:

Nap time:

Question:
How many of you have ever received a ticket for Leash-Law Violation?  I keep her leash in my pocket, but she will heal and stay next to me and follow me where ever I go.  But still, if DNR saw her off leash, even if always by my side, do you think they would ticket?

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
Re: Took the dog ice fishing....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2010, 10:10 PM »
I don't know about the laws in your area, but just wanted to say she is adorable.  I wish I could take my Golden out with me, but he is getting older and wouldn't take the cold and poor footing to well anymore.  He even has trouble on the laminate flooring in our kitchen.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline stephensonswille

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Very nice dog! I've been thinking about talking my german shepard out with me but worried if someone decides to go in the shack when I'm outside he's extremely protective.n The dnr around my area usualy turned a blind eye in our area when we had other dogs out on the lake with us

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2010, 03:54 AM »
That's a good looking dog.  I like to take mine, but he doesn't do to well in the cold for extended periods of time. 

I imagine if your dog is under verbal control, there wouldn't be a problem.  But you never know....
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:57 AM »
this year will be the first in 14 years I wont have my dog on the ice with me.I knew last year would be her last,had to put her down on nov.13th due to cancer.she lived a good life but is dearly missed.enjoy em while you can

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:42 AM »
My Brittany would not allow me to go without her!

Our DEC here will give a ticket if the dog is a nuisance or unfriendly but otherwise they say as long as she is under my control it is fine.

I started her with a tritronics training/shock collar and don't use it any more. She stays close but does like to visit other fisherman where she is welcomed.

Looks like you have her insulated from the ice and that is important if staying out for an extended period. I use a 2 foot square of styrofoam under her blanket or carpet.

Nice to have a fishing partner who is always ready to go and never late.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:09 AM »
Been there Big Crew many times. Its time for you to go puppy shopping. No a new one wont replace our lost friends, but a new friendship is a great thing.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:39 AM »
My black lab always accompanies me onto the ice. No problems whatsoever. My guess is you would only have trouble if your dog causes trouble and someone calls the DNR or local authorities or the authorities actually witness it while out on the ice.
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:57 AM »
I'd bring my 9 lb crapzu, but he might fall through a hole.  :P

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:56 AM »
I'd bring my 9 lb **censored**zu, but he might fall through a hole.  :P

Might make good bait for a toothy critter!   ;D

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:02 AM »
Might make good bait for a toothy critter!   ;D
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline gunrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:47 AM »
No day on the ice is complete without mans best friend....in Maine though sometimes we end up with packs that are roaming the ice fighting and humping everything that moves.When we have problem dogs that hang around our shack for hours if they are good mannered it's not a problem....but if they fight with our dogs and have no one around to control the situation I usually have a nice can of beans for the offending dog to eat for lunch.That usually teaches the dogs owner later that night to keep a better eye on what the pooch is up to. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:54 AM »
ive been debating bringing one of my labs as well.  Its just nice having a dog out there with you.  In answer to your question about the "animal at large" ticket it just depends on how the rangers are around you.  I did recieve one once while letting my dogs swim at a lake just off the highway.  Saw the ranger so clipped em up quickly on thier leashes and he gave me the "oh no, wait right there" routine.  He then proceeded to run my license and write me a ticket.  Good luck.  Chris

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:35 PM »
this year will be the first in 14 years I wont have my dog on the ice with me.I knew last year would be her last,had to put her down on nov.13th due to cancer.she lived a good life but is dearly missed.enjoy em while you can

My deepest sympathys.  Had to put a yellow lab down a few years ago, one of the hardest things I ever did. 

My English mastiff doesn't care for the cold much, so I leave him home with the wife.

Here's a test:

Take your dog and your wife and lock them in the trunk of your car for a few hours.  When you finally come back to let them out, which one is happy to see you?

That's your best friend!

Kb

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:50 PM »
A word of caution, I almost lost a black lab down a fish hole in the shanty years ago... slipped in hind quarters first- thank god I had her collar on and was right there to grab her. :o
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

servocam

« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2010, 01:16 PM »
....but if they fight with our dogs and have no one around to control the situation I usually have a nice can of beans for the offending dog to eat for lunch.That usually teaches the dogs owner later that night to keep a better eye on what the pooch is up to....

That is cruel - I like it!  Put this one down in the "Best pranks you played on your buddy while ice fishing"

servocam

« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Here's a test:

Take your dog and your wife and lock them in the trunk of your car for a few hours.  When you finally come back to let them out, which one is happy to see you?

That's your best friend!

Kb

I almost choked on my lunch laughing.  I already know the answer, but may have to try this one, but would be mean to do to the dog.   :o

Offline gunrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2010, 01:45 PM »
That is cruel - I like it!  Put this one down in the "Best pranks you played on your buddy while ice fishing"
I wouldn't do this to a friend.....they chit everywhere for hours.....I learned this by the way with my own hounds.....not a good time in the morning. :roflmao: :roflmao:

servocam

« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2010, 03:45 PM »
That's a good looking dog.  I like to take mine, but he doesn't do to well in the cold for extended periods of time. 

I imagine if your dog is under verbal control, there wouldn't be a problem.  But you never know....

She does well with verbal commands or hand signals.  I grabbed her quick and shot a quick video...she did ok.

servocam

« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:11 PM »
geothefisher - put him on some of those hot-paks/hand warmers - bet he'd love that.  When my dog, Nilla, strained a muscle this fall, I had put her on a heating pad - she loved that (and the pain meds)!

BIGCREW, sorry for your loss.  Our pets become like our kids (except w/ can lock up the pets for 8 hours).  UFCreel said time to go puppy shopping....maybe this will help  :)

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:46 PM »
i take my black lab out with me most of the time, if its slow you can always play fetch  :)

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:01 PM »
i love to see i post on guys who take their dogs last dog has been gone for 2 years he was 15 he went everywhere with me and was the best fishing partner you could ask for i miss him still and wont be getting another. i'v already had 7 excelent dogs whitch all went with me all lived into their teens and all are missed to this day and when people say they are like our kids nothing could be more truthful so enjoy them while you have them guys they arent around long enough. 

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:05 PM »
I ....but would be mean to do to the dog.   :o

I'd NEVER do that to my dog.  I have too much respect for him.  ;-)

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:04 PM »
 NEVER AGAIN!!!! Took the Wife and her Pug along 2 years ago. Got the tip ups set and head to the shack. First flag, open the door, Pug races for the tip up and promptly takes a dump on it!!!! :o Deal with "dirty" tip up, bringing walleye up Pug decides to play with braided line. Proceeds to get himself hopelessly tangled.  :'( Get things sorted out and reset. Take fish, wife and Pug back to shack. Toss fish in snowbank, Pug promptly runs up and pees on fish. >:(

servocam

« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:27 PM »
Pug....isn't that something we go trolling with?  Oh wait, that is a Plug.

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:09 PM »
 Word of caution to someone thinking of taking Rover on a fishing trip. Be sure that rover doesn't have a taste for, or a curiosity of, the thing on the end of the line. An 80 lb dog on your line is no fun. Trust me on this one.
 :tipup: :tipup:
<br />img

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:28 PM »
the strictly business crew......blue, chloe, hudson, and ruger
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2010, 01:18 AM »
When I was a kid I had a small mixed breed that LOVED to go bluegill fishing.  He would stare at the bobber and bark when it started moving.  I would pull in the fish and toss it on the ground at which point he would jump on it, hold it down with his paw, and eat the head only.  He never ate anything but the head.  Then he would run back to the edge of the water, stare at the bobber, and bark when it moved again.  He was good for at least a dozen bluegills every time we went and never lost interest.  He lived to be 18.  Been almost 30 years since he passed but I still miss that dog.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2010, 01:39 AM »
jibbs, GREAT PHOTO!!  I too have 4 labs, but it would be mayhem if i brought all 4 out on the ice!!  Beautiful dogs!  Cheers,Chris

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2010, 05:48 AM »
I really want to take PJ with me- a two year old springer spaniel, but don't dare.  He's just too friendly and likes to play too much.  He'd not only visit every other fisherman on the lake, but likely every house within 5 miles.  He'd come back, eventually, but I can't get the little poop to stay with me.  He's very well trained EXCEPT he won't stay with me.  Seems no matter what I do, he has more fun running.  And for the record, he's not my first dog and I've gone through obedience school and multiple training books, tricks, shock collars, etc.  Oh well.
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.