Author Topic: Took the dog ice fishing....  (Read 3449 times)

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Took the dog ice fishing....
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:22 AM »
I went out with a neighbor and his buddy for a few hours yesterday afternoon. They both have labs.  The dogs were well-behaved, and enjoyed themselves, but one kept eating ice.  Man did that get annoying.  A nice quiet afternoon on the lake, and then CRUNCH, CRUNCH, CRUNCH!  He never quit, and he never took a drink out of a hole.
He must have been hungry.  I'd have gladly let him eat a couple perch.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:36 AM »
I don't mind dogs on the ice as long as people have control of them
Verbal control is fine, if they watch them all the time
I have had several times where people not watching Fido while he/she is running around
Once a "friendly" dog whizzed in my jet sled, right in an open bag of chips  :sick:
Good thing I caught him in the act, owner never came over or anything
My anger management told me to stay away from him
Just last week different place, different dog but I caught him before any damage
I love dogs, but if YOU are not responsible, LEAVE FIDO HOME
Sorry for the rant, but this has become a touchy subject with me, rant over
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:44 AM »
Great topic. We have two Labs, but they've not been out ice fishing with me yet because I believe in good control of my dogs when out in the world. When I'm fishing, I want to concentrate on managing the equipment and moving around drilling holes, etc. If I'm alone, as I usually am, then it would be a bit dodgy trying to fish and properly control my curious dogs who would be wanting to go visit other shacks and people who maybe don't want curiosu dogs nosing around their shacks, no matter how friendly, so I leave them at home. If I'm out with friends, then I would consider bringing them since I'd be better off able to keep them under good control. That said, they are great company and . Here's a few shots of my pups:

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Had an Elkhound that would take and bring to me other icemens pickeral once she knew why we were on the ice. Easy limits lol.

servocam

« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Had an Elkhound that would take and bring to me other icemens pickeral once she knew why we were on the ice. Easy limits lol.

That's awesome!  Not for stealing others fish, but knew you were there for food, so when she found one, she brought it to you.

servocam

« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2010, 10:45 AM »
I don't mind dogs on the ice as long as people have control of them
Verbal control is fine, if they watch them all the time
I have had several times where people not watching Fido while he/she is running around
Once a "friendly" dog whizzed in my jet sled, right in an open bag of chips  :sick:
Good thing I caught him in the act, owner never came over or anything
My anger management told me to stay away from him
Just last week different place, different dog but I caught him before any damage
I love dogs, but if YOU are not responsible, LEAVE FIDO HOME
Sorry for the rant, but this has become a touchy subject with me, rant over
Pirk

Pirk, your rant is accepted here and you're right.  If you can't control you dog / be the pack leader, then you shouldn't have a dog.  I do not use a shock collar to control my dog.  Pats, Claps, Snaps, Pointing, the Shhhht, the "Ah-Ah!" all work well.  Her recall is getting very good.  If "Come" doesn't work, then switch to "Heal" and a loud fast clap-clap.  Thursday night, she and I went to take garbage out.  She saw a rabbit and darted after it.  I yelled COME...NILLA COME.  Then one loud HEEEEAALLLLL and she broke off from that rabbit and came back.  I was so proud.

I think girl dogs don't pee on everything????  The 3 neighbor male labs mark everything!  Yellow snow everywhere!  The one yellow lab once pee'd on their friends little dog...it was a funny story.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2010, 01:36 PM »
Had an old heeler dog that liked to fish more than I do. 

She is getting really old now and can't go as often, but I still try to find excuses to take her places that have easy access.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.