The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Oxbow Update?  (Read 13635 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Oxbow Update?
« Reply #90 on: Jan 13, 2017, 11:19 AM »
I grew up in South Hadley and I remember when they were replacing the old Holyoke bridge there were divers helping to build it. They said there were hundreds of "eyes" in the current right around the abutments and some very large.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #91 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:47 PM »
Second hand info, but I work with a guy who drives by there every day on the way in.  He said there were about 10 guys out there in different groups this morning including a shanty. 

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:03 PM »
Thanks for the update. I believe it...

Offline Beer Me!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:12 PM »
Anyone out there today? Spent the day on pontusuc. Slow day for me.
Ice fishing!! Bringing dinner home one beer at a time!!

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Jan 14, 2017, 05:27 PM »
how are the edges on pontoosuc
what is and what should never be

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Jan 14, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Drove by today, didn't see anybody! Not surprised, must be thin around the edges

Offline BFFlynn51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 14, 2017, 07:58 PM »
Drove by today, didn't see anybody! Not surprised, must be thin around the edges

I saw a few people on it at 4pm on my way home.   Lots of fresh holes

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:48 PM »
Hit the Bow yesterday late morning. Fortunately it looks like someone left a plank there and I was able to get on the ice but the edges were completely shot like 6 to 10 feet. 7 to 8 inches solid once out there. Water dropped nearly a foot while I was there and people were able to get on the ice by walking off the point but it was still real sketchy.

4 traps out, two with shiners two with dead suckers, not a single flag all day but jigged up some real nice calicos and white perch to pass the time. Typical Oxbow.

Offline BFFlynn51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:57 PM »
Hit the Bow yesterday late morning. Fortunately it looks like someone left a plank there and I was able to get on the ice but the edges were completely shot like 6 to 10 feet. 7 to 8 inches solid once out there. Water dropped nearly a foot while I was there and people were able to get on the ice by walking off the point but it was still real sketchy.

4 traps out, two with shiners two with dead suckers, not a single flag all day but jigged up some real nice calicos and white perch to pass the time. Typical Oxbow.

Called out sick today,  and looks like I made the right choice just staying in bed.   I'm not sure huge fan of getting crowded, so a weekday trip here sounds more my speed.  Thanks for the update.

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Called out sick today,  and looks like I made the right choice just staying in bed.   I'm not sure huge fan of getting crowded, so a weekday trip here sounds more my speed.  Thanks for the update.

No worries! There were so few people there it was really surprising for a Sunday. Maybe 4 other small groups and a few fishing solo. I'm sure the horrible edges had people turning around or not going at all. Weekdays are definitely the right time. Possibly going back tomorrow, pre-storm with lower pressure coming in and less noise on the ice could be good.

Offline BFFlynn51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:47 PM »
If I didn't have that pesky "work" thing from 7:30-4 i'd join you out there.  Tight lines!

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:07 PM »
about 6 guys out there on both sides at 130 today

Offline LowranceStu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:21 AM »
Got out yesterday in the morning! the powerlines side had about 5-6" inches 4 of which was black ice.  Had a slow day to start but picked up a bit towards the end of the morning.  Not much that a bunch of panfish.  But I did jig up a white perch which I haven't caught since I was a kid!

Offline LowranceStu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 29, 2017, 09:04 PM »
Surprisingly got out on the Oxbow today! There was about 5 inches of honeycomb ice and was a little sketchy to get on, but once I made it out on the ice I did ok!  Pulled up about 20 Crappie and a bunch more panfish (perch, bluegill, rock bass).  I was just scouting but there were a few other folks out there so I had my stuff in my jeep so I decided what the heck!  anyways the next few days hopefully will add a few more inches of ice and turn the honey comb into decent ice! 

Offline Beer Me!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Jan 30, 2017, 01:22 PM »
With the colder weather comming it should be better there by the end of the week! :tipup:
Ice fishing!! Bringing dinner home one beer at a time!!

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:06 PM »
forecast looks ok but it will be over soon only 6 more weeks around here, maybe?

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:44 PM »
forecast looks ok but it will be over soon only 6 more weeks around here, maybe?

I've been on the ice since before xmas - mid December to mid march is a great ice season

Try to look at the glass half full instead of a month and a half out...

Offline Icetrotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Was on the bow today after work 345 to 445. I accessed from the old springfield road side of the pond. Edges were a little sketchy so I grabbed ny 8 foot plank and  got out there. The edges varied from 3 inches to 4 inches by my plank. Once I got out there I had 7 inches of ok ice. Had to flago one pickerel and the other one I popped the hook out of its mouth when I set the hook it took a lot of line. Also a crappie and two pumpkin seeds on my jig pole. Not bad for a hour at the bow.

Offline Icetime413

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:33 PM »
I fished the the marina today, it sucked like it has all year lol. But that's wat u get when using big dead bait. Ice was like glass, 7-8 inchs white. But was solid, making ice all day , all my holes at end of day had to chisel to get tips out. Got skunked. But I'll be back in for weekend.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Feb 03, 2017, 03:17 PM »
Drove by saw about a dozen or so guys fishing! Hope you guys do well!

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #110 on: Feb 04, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Drove by saw about a dozen or so guys fishing! Hope you guys do well!

Lol.... we didn't   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.