The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Lions club derby  (Read 6978 times)

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Re: Lions club derby
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:33 PM »
the narrows is a good spot lots of big fish taken there......the cove thats in the arm of the point behind your location thats the water front property i worked on in there is where i saw the big bass on shore line and like you millbury man i know when its truley a big bass have caught plenty of them to know.  Id go with the narrows just watch ice there can take longer to freeze or freeze funny
Thanks! Always good to know, known bad ice areas!  I can only imagine there are some immense bass in that lake !

Offline ceejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:28 AM »
Do they still nail the fish to a piece of plywood at that derby?

Offline dstearns82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:51 AM »
ya they do.................no different then any big tourney they have up north they do same thing pretty cruel but one day event doubt it even dents a population of fish

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:20 AM »
Do they still nail the fish to a piece of plywood at that derby?

whoa, they nail the fish to wood? no weigh it and release it? i might not join the derby now.

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:30 AM »
It's getting close to the derby time. Does anyone have an idea of ice conditions on Quaboag? I am thinking about putting together a run and gun outing with the flasher and just light gear. I'll bring 4 traps anyway just in case. But I really like moving and drilling a lot of holes to see what I can find. If anyone is interested in partnering up for the derby I have extra gear. Always better with the buddy sytem.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline dstearns82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:30 AM »
they only do it for people that intend on keeping fish from what ive seen anyone who wants to release can but that only goes for the people fishing right on quabog.......gets tricky when your on another body of water however they update leading weights on WARE radio every hour so you can decide for yourself where u are fishing.  If fishing on quabog and you wanna release they put your name and weight of fish on a piece of paper and hang that on the board instead.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:57 AM »
they only do it for people that intend on keeping fish from what ive seen anyone who wants to release can but that only goes for the people fishing right on quabog.......gets tricky when your on another body of water however they update leading weights on WARE radio every hour so you can decide for yourself where u are fishing.  If fishing on quabog and you wanna release they put your name and weight of fish on a piece of paper and hang that on the board instead.

so if you catcha  fish at webster lake take it to the bog alive they wont let you take it back to webster to release?

Offline dstearns82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:33 AM »
nope .....doubt it would make it with stress like that any way just my opinion just need to pay attention to posted weights on radio and be sure its a fish that will place i know what your saying im not one for killing fish unless i eat them regaurdless of winning a derby.....but once a year for this derby i make an exception i know people that will eat anything i catch so it doesnt go to waste and most of all i make sure its big enough

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:45 AM »
nope .....doubt it would make it with stress like that any way just my opinion just need to pay attention to posted weights on radio and be sure its a fish that will place i know what your saying im not one for killing fish unless i eat them regaurdless of winning a derby.....but once a year for this derby i make an exception i know people that will eat anything i catch so it doesnt go to waste and most of all i make sure its big enough

I have a black trunk that would hold a very big fish comfortably in darkness. I would bet it would survive.

Offline dstearns82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:06 AM »
just cause it swims away doesnt mean it survived..........stre ss on fish can kill even when they swim off they just die outta sight, hate to disagree with ya but stuffing a fish in a black trunk isnt exactly a fishes jacuzzi lol id bet it dies within an hour of releasing it

Offline ceejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:11 AM »
so if you catcha  fish at webster lake take it to the bog alive they wont let you take it back to webster to release?

It's illegal to transport live fish in MA unless it's baitfish just a heads up.

Offline dstearns82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:15 AM »
your right it is illegal to transport fish thats why you cant rlease them once there.........derby been going 23 years already and wardens know all about it dont think it matters for that day

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:20 AM »
I would assume if you bring from another body of water you just don't release it, its kept.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:45 AM »
It's illegal to transport live fish in MA unless it's baitfish just a heads up.

Thats absolutely 100% false IMO. How do you think people transport fish to have them officially weighed for State Pins?

its only illegal to transplant a fish from 1 body of water to another. that has nothing to do with having a live fish in your car to have it weighed somewhere and then release it back in the waters it was originally caught in.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:45 AM »
just cause it swims away doesnt mean it survived..........stre ss on fish can kill even when they swim off they just die outta sight, hate to disagree with ya but stuffing a fish in a black trunk isnt exactly a fishes jacuzzi lol id bet it dies within an hour of releasing it

imnto saying its 100% live guarantee. im saying its not 100% that it will die. id rather give it a 25% chance to live then a 100% chance to die.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:51 AM »
imnto saying its 100% live guarantee. im saying its not 100% that it will die. id rather give it a 25% chance to live then a 100% chance to die.

Don't sweat it, mortality rates for hooked fish are about 6% accross the board so 6 put of the 100 fish you release will die.  Also agree with dstearns that throwing im a trunk will most likely lead to post release mortality.  Lots of info on the web about that stuff.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Don't sweat it, mortality rates for hooked fish are about 6% accross the board so 6 put of the 100 fish you release will die.  Also agree with dstearns that throwing im a trunk will most likely lead to post release mortality.  Lots of info on the web about that stuff.

I dont see whats being missed here. It will die if i leave it there for them to nail on a board 100% of the time. Whats wrong with TRYING to let it live if i do have to have it scaled. No matter what the research says its not a 100% mortality rate if you have it in a trunk of water to transport. Id rather give it the sliver of a chance to survive then guarantee its death by leaving it.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Thats absolutely 100% false IMO. How do you think people transport fish to have them officially weighed for State Pins?

its only illegal to transplant a fish from 1 body of water to another. that has nothing to do with having a live fish in your car to have it weighed somewhere and then release it back in the waters it was originally caught in.

They do it illegally. It'd be awful hard to prove that you caught the fish in the water you're releasing it into. It's just calculated risk if you want to drive around with a fish in a blank trunk. As far as the survival goes and getting busted too.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:09 PM »
They do it illegally. It'd be awful hard to prove that you caught the fish in the water you're releasing it into. It's just calculated risk if you want to drive around with a fish in a blank trunk. As far as the survival goes and getting busted too.

So let me get this straight.... they require you to bring a fish to an official weigh station to win a state pin, but made it illegal to transport a live fish? Thats entrapment. You cant force people to transport a fish to win a state program but make it illegal to transport said fish to the station.

Offline dstearns82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:19 PM »
lol this is getting a little crazy all im saying is transporting fish from one water body and releasing it into another is illegal however if your weighing in or keeping a fish then ya its legal i mean think about it.....hey does that black trunk have an aerator ;D

Offline jamiebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 25, 2013, 12:20 AM »
ill be out there for that derby somewhere in the back unsure where as of yet,it it does get pack,good luck all
Team Fighting Muskrats

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 25, 2013, 05:50 AM »
So let me get this straight.... they require you to bring a fish to an official weigh station to win a state pin, but made it illegal to transport a live fish? Thats entrapment. You cant force people to transport a fish to win a state program but make it illegal to transport said fish to the station.

They don't require you to bring a live fish to get it weighed for a pin. The laws were written back in the days of "Catch it? Eat it or mount it." There's also the people that think they know what's best for ponds, and go putting fish that came from other ponds in. How are they going to be able to prove you're not planting a fish into a pond when you say you just caught it there earlier and got it weighed for a pin and want to put it back?

I'm not saying I personally think it's wrong to catch a fish, get it weighed, then put it back right where you caught it. I'm just saying if you get caught doing it, it might suck a whole lot. Like the kind of suck when they take your license, gear, and vehicle...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:05 AM »
not trying to knock the derby, but my reason for never entering them is that i guarantee theres already some d***heads out there with fish in coolers that  are contenders to be winning fish. Big derbies like this one with big money have guys serious about winning money so they pre fish it the week before and keep big fish alive in tanks/coolers.  Sad to say but its true.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:08 AM »
not trying to knock the derby, but my reason for never entering them is that i guarantee theres already some d***heads out there with fish in coolers that  are contenders to be winning fish. Big derbies like this one with big money have guys serious about winning money so they pre fish it the week before and keep big fish alive in tanks/coolers.  Sad to say but its true.

ya this is a dick move i expect at this tourny.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:46 AM »
What bothers me about this derby is the fact that they NAIL all caught fish in the running to a big board!  Really??  it's the only derby I have ever been to that does that... whats the sense? and if a bigger one comes in, toss the dead hanger.... really?
bahh humbug to the lions derby... the only reason I have gone is 'cause of the bunch of shanty guys that show up... this year... no thanks...

" I'm just sayin "

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:53 AM »
What bothers me about this derby is the fact that they NAIL all caught fish in the running to a big board!  Really??  it's the only derby I have ever been to that does that... whats the sense? and if a bigger one comes in, toss the dead hanger.... really?
bahh humbug to the lions derby... the only reason I have gone is 'cause of the bunch of shanty guys that show up... this year... no thanks...

" I'm just sayin "

Flaggs!

agreed ...no need for that
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:13 AM »

its the reason i have no state pins. ive let tons of them go.
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:34 AM »
its the reason i have no state pins. ive let tons of them go.

here here!

i let my first chance at a state pin go 3 weeks ago. The crappie. Someone said "hey thats a pin, go get it scaled officially!" and i just shrugged and said "i have pictures and my memory, id rather catch him in a few years when he is even bigger" and slid him down the hole.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Hearing chatter through the grape vine about guys heading to CT for pike!! Ok I understand maybe swaying out of the allotted area but out of state! That's a loser in my opinion. I've also seen guys leashing fish under the ice then coming back to that spot on derby day! Another great lesson to teach your kids CHEAT TO WIN!

Live your life so that when your children think of Caring, Fairness and Integrity, they think of You! This was my dad to a T  :angel

Offline mag minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 25, 2013, 04:22 PM »

I'll be fishing East Brimfield Res. and hoping to stay out of the wind.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.