Author Topic: homemade slammer..  (Read 61441 times)

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
homemade slammer..
« on: Dec 21, 2008, 01:47 PM »
here is my homemade slammer i made from an arrow and a flag holder.

lets some of your home made tip ups or slammers!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Re: homemade slammer..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2008, 01:52 PM »

T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:02 PM »
I like the spring at the bottom of the arrow, may have to mod mine
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Nice work.Looks like it will work great!

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:11 PM »
they both look niiiice!

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:31 PM »
i added a clothes pin with two contact plates and hooked up battery powered x mas lights to it and when it trips lights on! now them buggers arnt gonna get away!

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:35 AM »
Looks neat!!!

I planned on just keeping mine in a rod holder and listening for the drag bell.. I like your idea though because you can put the slammer much farther away from where your "base" is, without fear of not hearing the bell and losing your rod.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:39 AM »
looks like a great idea- i love to see homade fishing stuff.
but i gotta know- what does your cat think of it?
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:15 AM »
Hey brokenline, is that made so that it sets the hook?  If so, it's not legal in the land of 10,000 Regs.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:18 AM »
the cat didnt really like it.. i use a bobber so it dosnt really set the hook.. just pops up and tells me i gota bite..

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:56 PM »
here is my homemade slammer i made from an arrow and a flag holder.
(Image removed from quote.)
lets some of your home made tip ups or slammers!

Again I ask (even beg) ....

PLEASE don't use the Slammer name for something that definitely is NOT a Slammer.

Brokenline's device is more closely related to an Automatic Ice-Fisherman device. I would like to suggest something from working with a similar Whip-Up type trigger 15 or so years ago - add a thin steel plate or bar with a hole in it for your pin to go through between your rod tip and arrow shaft so that your rod tip rests on the plate and the pin goes through the hole. The rigid bar with the hole for your trigger pin mounts to your base. This prevents your rod tip from following the forward pivot motion of your trigger. Automatic Fishermen used to come with a warning in the instructions that you can break the tip of your rod or bust the ceramic insert out of the tip eye. 

Pooley's device looks a LOT like a Fishin' Buddy or Fishing Pal (or something like that) with the spring loaded, hook-setting rod-holder that was manufactured in Colorado. I'm not sure if they're still in business.

THE "SLAMMER" - slang term for the one and only original Slammer Tip-Up (which IS trademarked), is a unique and manufactured (or made from a kit) adjustable tension tip-up type (signal flag goes up)  hooksetting device that uses a unique (and redesigned for 2009) Ring Release and open coil rod-holder where, when the fish is hooked and the release drops out of the way pulling up the signal flag, you grab the rod out of the holder and fight the fish on conventional spinning gear.

The only similarities in the pictured devices and Slammer Tip-Ups, Whip-Ups, Trippers, Arctic Warriors, etc. is that you fight the fish on a removable rod and reel.

Here's a picture of my "made in the home work-shop" SLAMMER with a WIG-JIGGER wind-jigging add-on and Slamco Hole Cover.

Here's a picture of Lone-Wolf's Slammer Tip-Up made from a Kit with the "Slammin' Block" modification.

Here's a picture of one of my Slammers with the "Stilted Up" modification.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:42 PM »
i just dont see the difference except the flag... which really isnt a big deall..

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2008, 12:29 AM »
Hey brokenline, is that made so that it sets the hook?  If so, it's not legal in the land of 10,000 Regs.

YOU ARE RIGHT !!!

The antiquated law states that you can't use a "spring device" which impales the hook. The state of Minnesota's "directors" consider the fishing pole held under tension to be a spring device.

You CAN use a Slammer Tip-Up in Minnesota IF you either leave your reel in "free-spool" mode or open your bail on a spinning reel so there is no hook-set when the release is tripped. I don't think that would work with brokenline's device.

I just don't see the difference except the flag... which really isn't a big deal..

It's kind of like the difference between a semi-automatic rifle with rifled barrel and laser sights, and a flintlock muzzleloader with smooth bore and iron dovetail sights. Both are rifles but there is a big difference in operation and performance.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2008, 03:28 AM »
YOU ARE RIGHT !!!
The antiquated law states that you can't use a "spring device" which impales the hook. The state of Minnesota's "directors" consider the fishing pole held under tension to be a spring device.

You CAN use a Slammer Tip-Up in Minnesota IF you either leave your reel in "free-spool" mode or open your bail on a spinning reel so there is no hook-set when the release is tripped. I don't think that would work with brokenline's device.
Why wouldn't free spool or an open bail work with his setup the same way  ??? ???

It's kind of like the difference between a semi-automatic rifle with rifled barrel and laser sights, and a flintlock muzzleloader with smooth bore and iron dovetail sights. Both are rifles but there is a big difference in operation and performance.

I think his simple arrow and turkey spur style release looks like it would work just fine . I think it would perform very well ,So this is a bad analogy in my opinion .

Nice work I love to see the homemade creations . You made it yourself and it will make catching fish even more rewarding .  Your SLAMMER looks like a winner to me .   Let us know how it SLAMS-EM .   ;D ;D

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2008, 01:06 PM »
Why wouldn't free spool or an open bail work with his setup the same way  ??? ???

That type of drop-away trigger, found on brokenline's rod-holder and also on Automatic Ice-Fishermen, requires a tight line to set it off. Without a set drag or tight line, the fish can just keep pulling line without triggering the device to set the hook or signal that a fish has taken the bait. With brokenline's device, I guess that you could jam the tip onto the spur to get a tight line. But that would cause the tip to hang on the spur

Unlike brokenline's device, the AIF comes with a big slip bobber that is put between the reel and first guide up on the rod so when the fish pulls the line, the line gets tight when the bobber hits the guide and stops. The line {running through the guides and running from the rod tip (held by a pin or spur) along the trigger arm to the V at the end and down the hole to the fish} gets tight causing pressure on the guides and rod with the easiest moving item being the end of the trigger arm. The trigger arm moves downward hopefully pulling the pin out of the rod tip (it's at this point that the rod can flex with the trigger causing the rod-tip to get hung on the pin and NOT release and possibly break your line, rod-tip, or rod) causing the tip to spring up and hook the fish.

If the rod tip is held in place by a rigid bar, plate, or arm (that possibly drops away like on a Whip-Up) and uses a pivoting pin type release, the plate (or stop, or block, etc.) prevents the tip from moving forward and downward with the pivoting pin and instead only allows the tip to move UPWARD to set the hook.

With a Slammer Tip-Up, the line is held taught at the release. Unlike most other rod holder/ hooksetting devices, the line can be loose behind the release like a conventional tip-up. The fish just has to pull on the line to pop the release for a flag.

A couple of old men "tried" to copy Slammer Tip-Ups in the Montague/ Whitehall area of Michigan. We call their devices Spoolers. If they set their drags on their rods too loose (which they usually do), the steelies spool them before they know that there's a fish on. The fish HAS to pull the rod off of a pin-type release. When, and if, their device releases the rod (and the rod does not break) - the fish has got all of their line and usually breaks off.

I think his simple arrow and turkey spur style release looks like it would work just fine . I think it would perform very well ,So this is a bad analogy in my opinion .

"looks can be deceiving" ... at a distance a squirt-gun can look like an assault rifle.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2008, 01:13 PM »
feel free to copy my 'pooleys lip ripper'.
it costs about $7-8.00 to make. the trip system is made from a heavy duty hanger.
i've been using it for a long time, and it works in all weather. color is up to you.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline zonks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2008, 01:37 PM »
Just buy a real Slammer they work awesome. I'm gonna buy another one and some for my friends.

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2008, 01:38 PM »

Why WOULDNT it work? it would do the same thing with an open bail just wouldnt set the hook..

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2008, 02:41 PM »
Just buy a real Slammer they work awesome. I'm gonna buy another one and some for my friends.

kinda missed the point of the entire thread.

Slammerman, the term "slammer" is used in general context to an action that some "thing" carries out. Therefore copyrights are not being infringed upon one little bit. Nor is there any maliscious intent. The OP started the thread regarding a home made device, if he wanted to buy a prebuilt or a kit he would simply have done so. Not "slammin" you at all, I think your products are awesome but I too prefer to make my own
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2008, 04:08 PM »
Not "slammin" you at all, I think your products are awesome but I too prefer to make my own
amen! it is more rewarding to get a fish on or with something you made than something you bought.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2008, 04:56 PM »
Again I ask (even beg) ....

PLEASE don't use the Slammer name for something that definitely is NOT a Slammer.

no offense or nething but it is normal for all people to use a term like slammer for these. I mean its like saying kleenex when asking for a tissue. If i ask someone for a kleenex and they hand me an offbrand, i dont get pisssed. Or tupperware- you get the jist. IDK its just my thought
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2008, 05:27 PM »
Do you miss alot of fish with yours? If not what do you fish for
Catching Any?

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:05 PM »
it is normal for all people to use a term like slammer for these

I guess my marketing is working then, huh?? ... most "people" ARE misinformed - just trying to do my part to inform

i dont get **censored**sed.

I'd get **censored**sed if I were invited to go elk hunting and my buddy was providing me with a gun ... get to the spot and he hands me a single shot .22

Slammerman, the term "slammer" is used in general context to an action that some "thing" carries out. Therefore copyrights are not being infringed upon one little bit. Nor is there any maliscious intent.

The word "Slammer", when referring to a rod-holder/ tip-up/ hook-setting device IS owned by me and it does refer to a particular and unique device ;D I only had to take legal action once when a bait shop tried to refer to their "home-made" Tripper type devices, they were trying to sell, as "insert name of bait shop here" Slammers.

The OP started the thread regarding a home made device, if he wanted to buy a prebuilt or a kit he would simply have done so. Not "slammin" you at all, I think your products are awesome but I too prefer to make my own

I give lots of credit to people for cobbling up their own gear. I do it. That's how Slammer Tip-Ups, Whip-Ups, Trippers, Automatic Fishermen, Fishin' Buddies, Pooley's Lip-Ripper, etc. came to be. I'd actually like to see some OTHER types of rod-holder devices.

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:25 PM »
Well Good Luck trying to make everyone stop saying slammer..  ;) i just dont think you understand what everyone is trying to say here.. its not like we're trying to take you "name" away here.. just calling them slammers because they are similar to well.. "Slammers"  :tipup:

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2008, 09:29 PM »
its not like we're trying to take you "name" away here.. just calling them slammers because they are similar to well.. "Slammers"  :tipup:
couldnt have said it better!!   

The word "Slammer", when referring to a rod-holder/ tip-up/ hook-setting device IS owned by me and it does refer to a particular and unique device ;D

I only had to take legal action once when a bait shop tried to refer to their "home-made" Tripper type devices, they were trying to sell, as "insert name of bait shop here" Slammers.

so i should call this a non hooksetting tip up to be politicaly correct??? if they were spelt slamers would you be mad ?????????

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2008, 10:49 PM »
  so i should call this a non hooksetting tip up to be politicaly correct???
Actually yes! because you cant really copyright a "rod holder" and if its not setting the hook, that strikes out that one too.. and technically its not really a tip up because that consists of a a fish pulling the line and a flag popping up.. but his really has no flag.. just a rod and if its not setting the hook its NOT illegal OR a "copyright infringing" device.

if they were spelt slamers would you be mad ?????????
That would work too.. Slamers or Slammors isn't the correct spelling so couldn't be copying your idea either.

Offline Mississippi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:14 PM »
Slammer - Opps I said it
Anybody Seen Any Catfish??

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:16 PM »
Slammer - Opps I said it
Consider yourself FINED!!  :roflmao:

Offline Mississippi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:34 PM »
Sorry, I couldn't help myself trying to be the smart a$$.
Anybody Seen Any Catfish??

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:36 PM »
haha happens to the best'a us

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.