Author Topic: homemade slammer..  (Read 61454 times)

Offline upstate bass2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: homemade slammer..
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:14 AM »

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:45 PM »
feel free to copy my 'pooleys lip ripper'.
it costs about $7-8.00 to make. the trip system is made from a heavy duty hanger.
i've been using it for a long time, and it works in all weather. color is up to you.

Is that framed out with PVC?  I like the set up!  How much wear does that "trigger put on your rod?  Maybe put a piece of teflon heat shrink on it?  I'll mess around and see what I can come up with, cabin fever is hitting hard...lol :o
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:38 AM »
all pvc. i'll have to try something like teflon.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:39 PM »
excuse me ...Slammerman. I think you should change your avitar signature to "Its slammer time"  instead of  "its slammin time" you could get yourself in some trouble with that.
All kidding aside...I think the more people keep saying that word you claim to own, can only do you good. Its free advertising any way you look at it. You are never going to stop people from using it anyway...you would run out of money trying to put an end to it with legal fees. Its people that dont build their own device that you are after anyway. I think the free advertising far outweighs the attempt you are trying to make at stopping people from using "that word". Up here in Canada we get products copied all the time. Make one little change and its on the market. I think these days its all about he who has all the money makes all the rules..so to speak. Just my two cents worth...oh just a minute...honey ..where did you put my slammer...im going out on the ice tomorrow.See..now when i get out on the ice tomorrow some guy will see my device and want to buy one instead of making one ..because he has no time...he will go to google and search and find your product. cha ching!   

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:56 PM »
I know I can't stop "people" from using the word slammer to describe their device that is more like a Tripper, Whip-Up, Spooler, Automatic Fisherman, Fishin' Buddy, Lip-Ripper, etc. than a Slammer Tip-Up (a.k.a Slammer). I came up with the Slammer Tip-Up design and promoted the name. The ORIGINAL Slammers work and work well if used and adjusted properly. :)

I can only try to inform. There ARE some major flaws to many of the devices (other than Slammer Tip-Ups) that I've seen on this site, on other sites, and on the ice ... don't want "slammers" to get a bad name when rods and rod tips break and fish get away. :'(

Here's a tip for everyone: Monofilament (and copolymers and some fluorocarbons) will slide through 3/4" of ice when fishing is slow and you don't check your Slammer for a couple hours and then get a fish on. It seems that water wicks up the line and through the ice. You may have to have a buddy spud the hole open to get the fish out if you let your hole freeze too thick. It's a good idea to check your hole often and skim when necessary or use a hole cover or hole heater - putting snow or slush in the hole helps delay freezing too. Braided and fused lines get stuck as soon as the hole skims over. ;)

If anyone does want my honest opinion of their rod-holder device - they're free to message me. OR ... I could start a post in the Grumpy Old Men Forum called "Get Slammed by the Slammerman"  ;D

BTW - please don't anyone order anything until after I get back from the Perch Festival this weekend :tipup:

Thank you and good luck ice-fishing to everyone. :laugh:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:52 PM »

BTW - please don't anyone order anything until after I get back from the Perch Festival this weekend :tipup:

Thank you and good luck ice-fishing to everyone. :laugh:

In Linwood?
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:29 AM »
Looks like a workshop project for me. Thanks guys.

Rick

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:50 PM »
Project finished. Turned out pretty good. Set-up fairly sensitive. Took the general idea and modified. Less than $10 invested.
Will post pic's when the paint dries and I take some pic's.

Rick

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:22 AM »
Here's the pictures.
Set to go.

Sprung.

Best Wishes: Rick

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:19 AM »
well done
   I have retired mine due to interpretation of the rules and the inability of the ministry to positively tell me if it is illegal or not
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:52 PM »
I would say that those "slammers" that use the flexed rod are legal.  They are quite similar to downriggers in their conception.

The "flex" of the rod is inherent in it's construction.

I can see where the use of an automatic "striker" made from a spring loaded or electric device that suddenly pulls on the line would be illegal but a bent rod....no way can it be called illegal.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:02 PM »
Sweet slammer!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:11 PM »
good looking set-ups gents.  take it easy on slammerman  i kind of get the vibe of what he is trying to say.   either way Pooley i like ur lip-ripper  couldn't think of a better rod to use than an ugly stick too!!!

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:29 PM »
I agree with the Ugly Stick.  They have lots of flex and are tough.  Or maybe one of those old glass rods.  Have you ever tried to break one of those old glass rods?  Not the hollow glass rod.  You can almost fold them in two and then suddenly they snap with the sound of a .22

Offline RebelIceFshr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Nice slammers you guys are makin'.

Good luck with them.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2009, 03:16 PM »
Here's a pic of a REAL Slammer that's being used with a 30" light action HT Ice Blues rod. Folds up nice and neat for transport too.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 06, 2009, 05:53 PM »
Here's a pic of a REAL Slammer that's being used with a 30" light action HT Ice Blues rod. Folds up nice and neat for transport too.

(Image removed from quote.)

nice perch, was that at the festival?

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #47 on: Feb 07, 2009, 06:46 AM »
Here's the pictures.
Set to go.
Sprung.

Best Wishes: Rick
that is a really good slamer you got there!! how did you get the rod holer to stay?

are you trying to sell your slammer??

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 07, 2009, 08:49 AM »
that is a really good slamer you got there!! how did you get the rod holer to stay? are you trying to sell your slammer??

Drilled a hole thru the board on an angle. Holder slides in. Slide out for packing up. Also by spinning out the spring arm from it's base the tip up packs down for travel.

Rick

Offline upstate bass2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:37 AM »
I got this pike saturday on my homemade device , good fight on a 30'' lite rod.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:30 PM »
I got this pike saturday on my homemade device , good fight on a 30'' lite rod.

What is it, how does it work?

Offline JayErica1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vexilar FL-18
« Reply #51 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:17 PM »
to much negativity between ice fisherman within the word "Slammer"
here is a great concept--  create a "fishing device" and name it  "Tip Up" and after that people could never use the word TipUp again!!

Offline upstate bass2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 11, 2009, 06:19 AM »
TrekJeff , it is at top of page 3.

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 11, 2009, 07:01 AM »
I copied oxquo's design from a post in the equipment forum under inventions, with a few modifications to meet materials I had on hand. Still looking to make some changes. I want a better rod for the job, shorten up the board, and put a slot in PVC so the reel is more secure. 

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 11, 2009, 03:34 PM »
TrekJeff , it is at top of page 3.(Image removed from quote.)

I'm sure that design works great but the problem is the fact that there is a good 6 inches of slack line and this does reduce the striking force.  Is there another trip mechanism that would work yet not use up so much line?  I would like to see some close up photos of the trip mechanisms.

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 12, 2009, 02:41 PM »
a close up of my trigger copied from oxquo's design. I used a paperclip, which is flexible, allowing me to adjust the tension.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 12, 2009, 03:27 PM »
a close up of my trigger copied from oxquo's design. I used a paperclip, which is flexible, allowing me to adjust the tension. (Image removed from quote.)

Wow....that looks like a great trigger device.  On top of that, it's easy to make and easy to adjust.  Thanks for the photo.

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 17, 2009, 06:46 PM »
Spartaman is correct.
I know of some Grandpas out there that were using what they called "slammers" on Pentwater and Whitelake lakes many, many years ago! (30 some years ago!)
There are a whole bunch of "home built" slammer type pole holding automatic hook setting contraptions out there in the attics of garages and barn lofts.
The contraptions had all sort of "triggering" mechanisms.
I, too, use home built ones.
The big thing is you need a fishing pole that has a "parabolic bend" (kind of a lop-sided arc) when you set it for action and a triggering mechanism that will not break the tip off your pole when it is set off in the cold.
You need the drag to be tight enough to "set the contraption off" but not so tight drag can't be paid out!!
It shouldn't take a big pull to set the thing off!

If your fishing big trout and pike then you need about a 4'-5' pole for shock absorption.
The one Slamco offers is a good one.

there ya have it.
tight lines
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #58 on: Feb 22, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Spartaman is correct.
I know of some Grandpas out there that were using what they called "slammers" on Pentwater and Whitelake lakes many, many years ago! (30 some years ago!)
There are a whole bunch of "home built" slammer type pole holding automatic hook setting contraptions out there in the attics of garages and barn lofts.
The contraptions had all sort of "triggering" mechanisms.

Here's 2 more cents for the day and a little Slammer and steelies through the ice in West Michigan history ....

I really doubt if kiltman and Spartaman (or their Grandpas) were there in the beginning days of steelie fishing through the ice in West Michigan or when Slammer Tip-Ups came about a YEAR AFTER Tripper devices and contraptions were being used on Pentwater and Pere Marquette Lakes - that was in the EARLY 90'S KIDS - not the '70's or '80's. More than likely, Grandpa has his dates messed up or he's from northern Wisconsin and has a Whip-Up type of device in the attic or barn.

Me and a couple of my buddies coined the terms Slammer, Steelie Slammer, and Slammer Tip-Up on PM Lake one day in 1993 or 1994 for OUR unique rod-holder device with the Ring Release - it spread from there.

And those "Grandpas" probably weren't around catching steelies through the ice in West Michigan 30 years ago (that's 1979) either. There were VERY FEW WHO DID. I know old, cussing, lying Charlie the Mailman from Montague wasn't (he was ALL OVER my prototypes the first day I used them on White Lake and had cobbled up copies - Spoolers - by the next day) ... either was John Moore from Muskegon .... nor Terry or Larry from North Muskegon ... about the only people who fished steelies on White Lake before the mid 1990's were the Smiths and Streblows - WITH STICK TIP-UPS loaded with 8 pound mono - and that was more likely around 1991 or 1992.

I sure don't remember many people being on the ice with my dad and I or his buddies on Pentwater Lake throughout the 1980's or seeing or even hearing of ANYONE using "rod-holder contraptions" for anything in West Michigan ... and he and his buddies fished the flats and ice in the winter for steelhead throughout West Michigan during the mid to late 1960's and 1970's too - this is when steelhead were coming back and salmon was a new thing and few people even fished for them.

The handful of guys (including my father and I) that fished Pentwater Lake for steelies through the ice used our 9-10 foot river rods with bobbers until someone came out there with a Tripper contraption in the early 90's. "Ludington Charlie" stopped by Pentwater Lake one day and saw this guy with a rod-holder contraption. He and his fishing buddy Doug Gruno made copies of what they called a "Tripper". Other people copied theirs and the "guy from Pentwater Lake"s contraptions. Doug told me and my fishing buddy Richie about making a rod-holder contraption and catching steelies through the ice with it. Richie and I made our OWN designs (without ever seeing Doug's Tripper) of rod-holder devices. Richie and I re-designed and tested a number of different types of devices (we were also toolmakers and had access to all kinds of machines and testing equipment). I came up with the adjustable Slammer Tip-Up design that used Richie's ring release. We were undecided on calling them Steelie Slammers or Slammer Tip-Ups at the time. People told us that we should make and sell them. I started the Slammer Tip-Up Company and later incorporated as Slamco and took steps to protect the Slammer Tip-Up name.

Others started buying, winning, using, and TRYING to copy Slammers (usually ending up with Spoolers) from that point on and continue to copy Trippers, Whip-Ups, and now Automatic Fishermen (usually until their tip breaks off their rod) and copy MY name. This is where MOST PEOPLE (including Grandpa) enter the picture ...

The big thing is you need a fishing pole that has a "parabolic bend" (kind of a lop-sided arc) when you set it for action and a triggering mechanism that will not break the tip off your pole when it is set off in the cold.
You need the drag to be tight enough to "set the contraption off" but not so tight drag can't be paid out!!
It shouldn't take a big pull to set the thing off!.

If your fishing big trout and pike then you need about a 4'-5' pole for shock absorption.
The one Slamco offers is a good one.

there ya have it.

For those making your own contraptions - I really do hope that you don't break your rod.

There's actually a bit more than that "to have".  Slammer Tip-Ups and Kits come with DIRECTIONS and ILLUSTRATIONS  ;)

Slamco is currently out of Slammer Tip-Up Rods for the season :'(

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:10 PM »
If I ever do make a rig that strikes the fish when it bites, it will be the "whip up" because that would be legal in Canada.  I would say that the best rod to use would be an old glass rod.  Not the hollow fiberglass rod but the old type solid glass rod.  If you ever tried to break one of these things with your hands....you would know that there would be no problems with broken tips.  However, I haven't seen any of those rods for a few years now.  I had 2 of them in my shed for a long while and one day I decided to break them and throw them in the garbage.  It took quite a bit of effort to do that and I regret doing it now.  Those rods would be perfect for winter brook trout in the Saguenay river.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.