Author Topic: Ice Fishing Boots:  (Read 18861 times)

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Fishing Boots:
« Reply #30 on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:31 AM »
Have a pair of Muck boots, Arctic Extreme's....  light weight, waterproof, and very warm.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:41 AM »
Another vote for the Lacrosse Icekings here.  I have had mine since the early 90s and have replaced the liners once but never get cold feet.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Roacho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:49 AM »
I use the LaCrosse 14" Extreme PFT's

They are actually really comfortable and light. 

I'd rather be fishing!
www.elroacho.com
Rowley, MA

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #33 on: Feb 05, 2007, 11:15 AM »
I was looking at those when they first came two years ago. The only thing that made me hesitant was the thought that the snow/ice would get in the cleats and lock them open ..... any problems ?

Not really, they do get a little packed with snow (like any cleat) but they always seem to fold when i want them too. I don't wear them in the car too warm and stiff, I like to put them on cold before walking out to avoid sweating on the walk in. I haven't seen them around but if I do I'll buy a second pair while I can they were only about $100-.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2007, 11:46 AM »
I got a pair of pack boots from Cabela's that are rated to minus 100 F. Look exactly like the Sorrel's they also sell there except they say Cabela's on them. I picked them up for about 80 bucks three years ago. I'm happy with them. I stay real warm and dry all day long from sun up to sun down.
:icefish:

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2007, 11:54 AM »
White Mickeys!
No liners to replace, no cleats to clean. If you plunge, then pour them out, wipe dry and with a new set of socks your off and running.
If you size them right, they are a breeze to walk in. I regularly spend 12 hours on ice and never ever get cold feet. I also make sure to where a liner sock and outer sock made with wick-away capabilities.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2007, 03:07 PM »
another vote for LaCrosse Ice Kings ($99). I've owned them for 9 years and have yet to replace the liners (second set of laces though) and my feet stay warm and dry all day.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Warm Boots for Ice Fishing..I made up my mind..BUT....
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2007, 03:25 PM »
If you have a LaCrosse outlet store around I would start there. I bought mine for $89. Otherwise if you know your size there are a number of places online with free s/h. Gander Mtn and Cabelas also carry them.

You picked a great boot - I love mine.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2007, 05:50 PM »
Cabelas Trans Alaskas.
I was sitting in my Fishtrap the other day...5 degrees and 25mph winds....I looked down at my ice crusted boots and thought "boy my feet are warm".

I do not find them at all uncomfortable to walk in. I cover miles on the ice by foot. ( I do play tennis 5 days a week...that helps) They are warm beyond belief, completely waterproof and not all that heavy.

I'll never go back to Sorels.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jamesdegitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 05, 2007, 06:55 PM »

Hands down Rocky boots.  I have a pair of snowmobile/extreme cold weather boots that are rated for -60 and they're great.  I can wear ankle socks with them and my feet will not get cold!  If I can help it, I will not own any other brand of boot. 
I'm not getting skunked, I'm just eliminating water

Offline upmich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:14 PM »
I really wanted a pair of Ice Kings but had a rough time finding a size 11. I called LaCrosse and they told me that the boots are now discontinued due to manufacturing defects. It seems that the Chinese aren't as good at making winter boots as LaCrosse wanted. I went to Gander Mountain for some Iceman boots instead and after comparing some other boots, I ended up with the Sorel Chieftans. These things are WARM. They are similar in size to the LaCrosse boots but the comfort level is much better. They were $109 regular and GM had them on sale for $80. Awesome boot.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:27 PM »
I use 2 pair:

1)  Mickey Mouse boots for when its either sloppy and slushy, or when its frigid cold; or 2) Danner elk boots with thinsulate and gore-tex for normal conditions. 

With the MM boots, be sure to use a sock that is long enough to protect your calf and shin areas from the tops of the boots and will stay up as you walk about.  O/W the tops of the boots will eat up your shins.

With the Danners, I use a polypro liner sock under a wool-blend sock (both from Cabelas).  If I remove the snow and ice buildup from the toe area periodically, these work well in surprisingly cold conditions.  Plus my feet are dry, unlike the MM boots where my feet are wet (but warm) from sweat.

My Yaktrax Pros fit both boots well.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:54 PM »
i have irish setters by red wing shoes.  1400 gram thinsulate, bought a gander mtn. :tipup:

I have irish setters to, warmest thing ive had on my feet, light to.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:33 PM »
I called LaCrosse and they told me that the boots are now discontinued due to manufacturing defects. It seems that the Chinese aren't as good at making winter boots as LaCrosse wanted.

That's interesting info. I was up to LL Bean last month and noticed Ice Kings on the shelf. I was curious to see if this years model was any different (looked to be no changes)then my two year old pair. I happened to mention to the sales person that, even though made in China, my pair are still holding up. To which the sales person replied: What? Made in China? No, these are not made in China........He looked a bit surprised when I turned one of the Ice Kings upside down and "Made In China" was stamped across it. :D  I was going to make a game of it and see if I could find a boot that they sell that's not made in China. But a pair of waders (waders department is right by the boots) caught my eye.......Oh, it too is made in China. ::) :D  Maybe I'll start giving Simms my business.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 06, 2007, 07:14 AM »
I use 2 pair:

1)  Mickey Mouse boots for when its either sloppy and slushy, or when its frigid cold; or 2) Danner elk boots with thinsulate and gore-tex for normal conditions. 

With the MM boots, be sure to use a sock that is long enough to protect your calf and shin areas from the tops of the boots and will stay up as you walk about.  O/W the tops of the boots will eat up your shins.

With the Danners, I use a polypro liner sock under a wool-blend sock (both from Cabelas).  If I remove the snow and ice buildup from the toe area periodically, these work well in surprisingly cold conditions.  Plus my feet are dry, unlike the MM boots where my feet are wet (but warm) from sweat.

My Yaktrax Pros fit both boots well.

If your feet are wet from Mickies, then you need better wick away socks, with a liner sock, and make sure your boots are 1.5 sizes larger than your shoe size. I have been using these for many years, most times for 12 hour days in hunting seasons as well as ice season, and do not get sweaty feet. Also, I do not lace them up, this allows the wicked away moisture to vent out without making your feet cold.

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:07 AM »
( I do play tennis 5 days a week...that helps)
I'll never go back to Sorels.
RG

HEY...your like me...I shoot pool 5 days a week...lol... :P

I don't have to drive School Bus today AGAIN..Yippie...so, I'm going to Gander Mountain today on 28th street..

Stan

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #46 on: Feb 27, 2007, 01:26 PM »
Have my 2nd pair of rocky ice stalkers
returned 1st pair after most of the cleats loosened up and rivet broke on one
only had 2 seasons on them
they are warm and comforable
I'll just use the cleats part time now
I'll put my ice cleats on them when I know I'm going to need cleats
nice idea if they can perfect the cleats :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #47 on: Feb 27, 2007, 02:27 PM »
Well guys here's my 2 cents worth and this is my opinion only:

Mickey Mouse Boots. Very warm but they're like dragging 2 cement blocks while walking. Wore them for years while Land Surveying. Walking in deep snow wearing these is a great way to lose weight.

Sorel Dominators rated to -135. Super warm. Heavy but not too bad for walking. I love 'em.

Cabela's Trans-Alaska III. I bought them this year and have been very disappointed. Not nearly as warm as my Sorels. Tough to walk in and my feet actually got cold in them so I went back to the Sorels.

packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline d-iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 28, 2007, 12:54 AM »
You guys got me to thinking as to what my lacrosse boots
are. I bought them in about 1990 or so and other than a
little tough to put on because they have a locking system
on the instep, I love them. Also 12" tall and fairly light.
Couldn't find any markings on them other than LaCrosse
and made in usa.

Offline SLH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 28, 2007, 03:22 PM »
Lacrosse Ice man.  Best I've ever owned. 

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #50 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:06 PM »
I concur on the iceman's. never been cold. got them in 1990.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline CTFishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Oct 16, 2007, 08:10 AM »
I have a 14 year old pair of Lacrosse Icekings,great boots but the liners tend to wear out prematurely and costly to replace.Very warm and comfortable boot if you are not doing allot of walking,they are bulky.

I also own a pair of Rocky Snow Stalker Extremes.Wished I never wasted my money on them.Lots of better ways to spend a couple hundred bucks.

I own also have a pair of Mickey Mouse Boots/Bata Boots I bought on Ebay for $20 used. Best, warmest boots I have ever owned !!! My other boots now just collect dust in the attic

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Oct 16, 2007, 05:48 PM »
I have sorels. 2 safety toed  and 2 non safety toed   safety toed ones are heavy  but warm!   USAF went to them  thus dumping the ol heavy bunny boots   for a fantastic product  cant beat them!   prechina models  I got them in the early 90 - 91    still going strong!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Oct 16, 2007, 06:24 PM »
Cabela's® Polar Cap™ Pac Boot!

I have a couple pairs of these.  I also have the Trans-Alaskans which I wear maybe 2-3 times a year...they're too warm...can't drive in them.  The Polar Caps are my favorites.  You can drive a vehicle in them.  They are easy to put on/take off, and don't feel like huge weights...but they do have heft.

My 0.02.

MD

Offline JamesP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Nov 13, 2007, 09:03 AM »
    Has anyone on hear ever herd of the Golden Retriever Boot?

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:16 PM »
i have a pair of rocky 1000 thinsulate insulate boots that i bought last year at bass pro shop for 100 bucks and then i put on a pair of wool socks and im set for the whole day no cold feet EVER!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.