The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Keeping Holes Open.  (Read 6586 times)

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Keeping Holes Open.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:14 PM »
CAUTION
introducing any chemical to a water source would probably  earm you a sizeable fine and possibly court costs

You are such a kill-joy.  ;)

Offline dipNrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:16 PM »
would t  buying the round insulated tip ups solve your problem without carrying around chemicals or other stuff...beaverdam,HT , Frabill all make them
  I have a few and don't use them anymore. They are awkward to handle and don't work well (trigger not adjustable and tight)
 Ping pong balls would be a nightmare. They would either blow out, snow would just fill in and trying to pick them up at end of day would be fun.
  Just buy either the foam mat or foam insulation at Home Depot and make them way cheaper than the ones you can buy online

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my IG @perfect_drifter412
« Reply #32 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:06 PM »
lol this is hilarious.... just kick snow in the hole, nerds. 
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline MikeFLN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:02 AM »
I still like the black ping pong ball idea too. Low tech and I'll bet surprisingly effective. Motion and heat exchange in a snag-proof package. I'm going to try this one out. What, a coupla bucks in balls and paint? How can I lose?

you can buy them already painted black.

https://www.amazon.com/Tennis-Lottery-150Pcs-Frosted-Seamless/dp/B0731F6YQK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1514898048&sr=8-4&keywords=black+ping+pong+balls

That is a lot of them but I bet you would use them all eventually.

Offline mcca1476

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:58 AM »
I would not recommend adding any chemical to the waters of our commonwealth.  Once capful here, one capful there...  not good in the longrun.

Offline danceswmuskys

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat more sea kittens. It's what's for supper.
« Reply #35 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:35 PM »
I kind of like the black ping pong ball idea except for the thought of me chasing them across the ice with a good tail wind. maybe extra salty food and extra strong booze and I could have my own pi$$I%& contest just like a lot of the threads seem to turn into any more, and maybe with a little luck some of the run-off would find it's way into my holes and help prevent freeze-up. :tipup:

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:38 PM »
when its this cold go around and clean them check bait cant tell you how many times after doing this i get a flag also warms you up

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Even with my homemade covers I still check them about every half hour. And rebait before prime time. A fresh lively minnow usually gets eaten pretty quickly.
Y'all catchin?

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:31 AM »
I made a set of hole covers out of 1/2 inch blue board insolation with a slot cut in them works pretty good  on super cold days I'll take a hand warmer to the bottom side of it I must admit it's crude but it's stupid simple and works well

I've done that and it works Great!!!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Go to 5 below...  It's like a fancy dollar store. In the back there's usually a section with some work out excercize stuff...  There u will see foam puzzle piece mats for floor padding... Buy a few for 3 bucks a pop n cut holes two inches bigger than your auger. Mines 8" so I cut 10" dia. Then cut a line to center and another so it makes a small "T" just like the ones sold for 10 bucks online. Works like a charm. Fished all day Saturday n never cleared a hole once with snow and wind blowing all day...  Even when they're completely covered your good...  Maybe even better BC of extra insulation.

Any issues pulling them off of frozen slush?

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:57 AM »
None....  It's a very dense closed cell foam. So nothing gets absorbed . The underside is smooth. Comes right off.
Y'all catchin?

Offline Jaggerhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:07 PM »
Im interested in seeing if the ping pong balls work.

Offline fisher 74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:59 PM »
sandwhich bag full of saw dust it wont freeze

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #43 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:06 AM »
Probably the easiest non-toxic way to go- thermal tip-ups ;)
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:59 AM »
Went to ocean state job lot yesterday, picked up four 24x24 mats for $9. Made 8 covers out of 2 of them, left the other 2 whole for now, gonna leave them on the floor of the quickfish 3i. I only wish I didn’t chicken out and hit the ice this morning, was -10 when I woke up.

Thanks for the idea FFBHIF!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #45 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:02 AM »
Went to ocean state job lot yesterday, picked up four 24x24 mats for $9. Made 8 covers out of 2 of them, left the other 2 whole for now, gonna leave them on the floor of the quickfish 3i. I only wish I didn’t chicken out and hit the ice this morning, was -10 when I woke up.

Thanks for the idea FFBHIF!

+1

I picked up a pack of 12"x12" foam puzzle flooring tiles.  Two will become a foot mat and the others will become hole covers.  Monday should bring much more "fishable" temperatures for us here in upstate NY!

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #46 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:11 AM »
I'm glad to see this thread with all of these nontoxic ways to keep a hole open. I'm 74 and I can remember many years ago when I was teed off because some of the "old guys" were pouring PRESTONE in their holes. When confronted they would say it wasn't enough to harm anything.  ??? 
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:13 AM »
I'm glad to see this thread with all of these nontoxic ways to keep a hole open. I'm 74 and I can remember many years ago when I was teed off because some of the "old guys" were pouring PRESTONE in their holes. When confronted they would say it wasn't enough to harm anything.  ???

I would never put a liquid in a hole. Not only am I’m eco friendly, but I can’t imagine a pike or walleye going anywhere near a line that smells like 50/50 mix!

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:15 AM »
I've actually fished with guys that sprayed WD-40 on smelt and used it for pike bait it was very productive!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #49 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:20 AM »
I've actually fished with guys that sprayed WD-40 on smelt and used it for pike bait it was very productive!
I have known people who sprayed WD-40 on crawlers and the line on their reel. They claimed it improved their catch rate. I have never tried WD-40, but have thought the oil Sardines are packed in has worked for me on the ice.

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:27 AM »
When I was in elementary school (35 years ago) I ordered some crap from the back of a magazine to put on your bait. Smelled like WD-40 but couldn't get it off your hands and it stunk the whole classroom up one day. It wouldn't wash off. Wish I remembered the name, I'm sure its probably illegal now.
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline Zbar3365

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:28 AM »
I wanted to try one of those small battery powered airators for minnow buckets and small live wells to see if it would move the water enough to keep it from freezing. If anyone has tried this let me know how it worked out for you please.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #52 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:34 AM »
There is one I think may work. I believe it's called a South Bend Egg Aerator. It floats and should move around in a hole. Saw one in wallyworld a couple days ago. About $17 or so.

Offline IceFlagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trick'in & Kill'in
« Reply #53 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Thermal tip ups are the best way, I don't use them as my regular tip ups, but only when it's super cold, windy or leaving them in over night.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:50 PM »
There is one I think may work. I believe it's called a South Bend Egg Aerator. It floats and should move around in a hole. Saw one in wallyworld a couple days ago. About $17 or so.

Yes! I just happened to see one at K-Mart yesterday and picked one up. Mine is made by Celcius and was $17.95 Kept my hole open all day today! Some skim ice started to form after 30-45 min, but I just nudged the egg when this happened and it moved in the hole and the ice dissipated.

I have a 10 sec video I can text to anybody who wants to see it in action. Just PM me.

Where's the FISH?!

Offline shokey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 08, 2018, 11:36 AM »
I am going to have to try this.

I made a set of hole covers out of 1/2 inch blue board insolation with a slot cut in them works pretty good  on super cold days I'll take a hand warmer to the bottom side of it I must admit it's crude but it's stupid simple and works well

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 08, 2018, 06:52 PM »
I keep thinking about this. What can be simple and effective? Ping pong balls are out. As effective as I believe they may be they'd be nothing more than a pain in the @$$. Can't see down your hole without a lot of messin' around.

I've had great success with very light, flexible rubber hole covers but can it be better? I starting to think why not something that floats in your hole, covering as much as possible, can be removed easily and conducts solar heat. Thin wood painted black, thin black foam, black PVC sheet (if it floats). Cut to "fit" inside your hole, allow the line/tipup access, easily removed...

Experiments will follow. Ping pong balls excluded.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:39 AM »
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Stivvy83

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hey, Your end one's up!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Get yourself some saw dust, preferably more like chips, say from a thickness planer. Fill gallon Ziploc bags with said dust/chips, lay it over the hole. Works like a charm.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #59 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Drink enough beer you gotta piss frequently and keep the holes topped off. Works for me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.