Author Topic: Otter Project  (Read 19033 times)

Offline bammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Otter Project
« Reply #30 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:07 PM »
Great question wax!  I'm all ears if you have any ideas.  I could simply put rod holders in there but that would take up too much room.  I would like to be able to put other things in that center compartment.
In the garage I use a broom holder, the kind that have springs in them that close shut they are wide enough not to dammage your rod & hold them in place, just screw them in wherever you wan't. Cheap too.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #31 on: Nov 03, 2011, 05:47 AM »
In the garage I use a broom holder, the kind that have springs in them that close shut they are wide enough not to dammage your rod & hold them in place, just screw them in wherever you wan't. Cheap too.

You got a pic of that Bammer?

Offline RynoIceMan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 03, 2011, 06:34 AM »
steuben....maybe try some type of velcro strips and staple or glue them down.....like the ones on the bucket carriers.....
Didnt catch a damn thing! Guess you can say we took a lickn'
Tonights fish fry is gonna taste like chicken!
A Bad Day of Fishin' Beats a Good Day of Anything Else

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 03, 2011, 06:48 AM »
You could use a clip like this to hold the handle of the rods.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #34 on: Nov 03, 2011, 10:47 AM »
velcro straps you can screw into the wood then strap the rod above the reel so it can't slide.  If you the compartment for something other than the rods you can set whatever on the straps and they will not be in the way like a metal or plastic clip would be.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2011, 11:01 AM »
I'm really liking all your ideas about using velcro!  I never thought of that.  Please keep all ideas coming!

Steuby1

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2011, 04:44 PM »
I'm really liking all your ideas about using velcro!  I never thought of that.  Please keep all ideas coming!

Steuby1

Agreed man.  Keep them coming.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 03, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Nice Work!!!    This site is great for ideas.  Wish I had a sled to pull mine Shanty my back is hurting just thinking about this season.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline RynoIceMan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 03, 2011, 08:43 PM »
OK Im gonna start this one off by saying im NO Artist... lol  but i would go the velcro route and my second choice would be a rectangle piece of foam(the soft squishy kind) like thats in the broad head holder on an arrow quiver.......and do as the sketch shows......just put the rod above the handle  in there and it will hold it snug

PS. Im Bored and have completed all my projects so this is keeping me busy...lol so thanks
Didnt catch a damn thing! Guess you can say we took a lickn'
Tonights fish fry is gonna taste like chicken!
A Bad Day of Fishin' Beats a Good Day of Anything Else

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 03, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Just like the rod holders they sell but without the plastic.
Fish on!

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 04, 2011, 07:30 AM »
Ok guys.  Listened to what you were saying and went with the velcro.  I really like it.  The rods are VERY solid and attach to the sides of the compartment so I have a ton of room left for storage.  I took strips of velcro and shot staples in the velcro to the sides of the compartment.

So whats next.  Well, I started designing a minnow bucket holder and will post pics of that tonight.  Actually it was my wife's idea. LOL.  Last week I picked up the LED switches to run the lights.  I will make an enclosure for those and post pics later.

Here's a shot of the storage compartment with velcro.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #41 on: Nov 04, 2011, 10:02 AM »
Looking good....one more suggestion.....you may want to add 1 more velcro strap per rod that goes around the 'neck' of the reels.  Since you have them in there going opposite directions, if the reels happen to swing out and back they will bang agaist the of the other rod.  They may not break them, but it only takes one knick and they will snap when fighting a fish.  Put the strap on the sidewall horizontal to the bottom of the box and have it grip the reel neck so it can't 'swing' during travel.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #42 on: Nov 04, 2011, 02:34 PM »
sweeeeeeeet thread .... i think the carpet made it look 10 times better,with a little stain it would have looked great,but you made it look store bought,if not better

Offline bammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 04, 2011, 07:08 PM »
You could use a clip like this to hold the handle of the rods.

(Image removed from quote.)
Thats the broom holder, think i got mine at lowes

Offline gump

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:23 AM »
nice, i'm hoping to get one of the new team wilds at the St Paul Show

Offline IceGirl246

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 11, 2011, 05:00 PM »
LOL.....I smoke myself Jeff!  Anyway, fantastic looking job.  Got a couple of questions.....

1 With the added weight, can you pick it up to load it?

2  And where in the hell is the food compartment? ;)

i second #1 after a long day of fishing are you going to be  its too heavy lol...i know i would, or i would be wishing for a atv lol

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Nov 11, 2011, 09:34 PM »
Loading it is not a problem.  I use the otter only when I am pulling it with my sled.  Actually I never lift it.  I back it on the trailer with my sled and unhook it.  It could weigh 400 lbs and it would not matter.  The mod was all designed to keep my fat butt comfortable fishing all day!

Steuben1

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #47 on: Nov 12, 2011, 09:51 PM »
Loading it is not a problem.  I use the otter only when I am pulling it with my sled.  Actually I never lift it.  I back it on the trailer with my sled and unhook it.  It could weigh 400 lbs and it would not matter.  The mod was all designed to keep my fat butt comfortable fishing all day!

Steuben1

well i think you have accomplished the goal and in style to boot..  good job

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 15, 2011, 05:53 PM »
great build up steuben1! i've been planing a rebuild of my jet sled for two seasons now and you inspired me, so thanks. here is the work in progress. -olc

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 17, 2011, 01:43 PM »
I have been looking at doing something similar to my frabil. I was thinking compartments like you but I would have a propane tank in the back corner. The middle compartment I was thinking about making an area to throw my catches, and the front corner would be for my camera. I was then looking at a clam center console thing for between the seats and do something with under the seat storage. I always pull my pullover out with my 4 wheeler. On there I have a front basket as well as a drop basket. on the back rack of the wheeler I have gun holders for my auger. In the front basket I have my shovel, minnow bucket, and a plano tool box with all my tip ups, tip downs, and skimmers. In the rear basket I have my sit n fish bucket along with my heater and camera right now and I am looking to get a gun case to hold my poles. Very nice work on the shack though. It has given me many ideas.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #50 on: Nov 19, 2011, 04:04 PM »
Very nice job. I've been debating something similar since I purchased my clam. Time to get to work.
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline GIBBS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Nov 21, 2011, 06:29 AM »
Hope to see that thing in action this year, gonna add Sag. bay to the meat route.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #52 on: Nov 21, 2011, 09:03 AM »
Hi Gang!
  I appreciate your carpentry skills.  It looks great.  It has to be getting heavy tho.  why don't you go to the sonic ice hopper systems its organized very lightweight and will keep gear intact.  Plus the whole system is very mobil.  I would have made a choice of aluminum instead of wood plus I  only carry whats needed.  I don't see the need to pull everything you own out on the ice.  Most lure/ s can be pocketed and rods can be put in one lightweight case.  Use of a sonice ice hopper system would take care of tip ups, bait and the misc.  a light sandwich and a few beverages are easily stored in saddle bags on your sled.  Just a few ideas.  I have everything on top my sled on a tiltable rack.  I use a single man otter there just no need to drag that much weight all over hecks half acre.  My auger is caried on a gun rack off of two 1" black pipe mounts with rubber gun mounts attached to them.  It keeps the auger off the snow and you can move out on a moments notice.  I know  its hard to get stuff un stuck when it is slushy.  Its even harder getting around on foot.    So nice handy work but I would work on cutting weight and using lighter materials.  Tupperwear is great and light for keeping small stuff organized so is a genz box.    Anyway nice rig and very pleasant looking handy work.   If you need a big enclosure try a hub they work great too!  Most of the big  flip downs /clams are supposed to be pulled by a pickup or put in the back of the bed.  Just remember on thing.  Lighter is always better!
 Da-Roc

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Da_Roc,

Appreciate the comments but my otter is set up for big water fishing.  This otter is always pulled with my snowmobile.  When we run out 15 miles on Saginaw Bay,  we take everything we could possibly need.  We are out on the ice 1 hour before daylight and we stay out there till 10pm or so, so we need all the gear.  You can never pack too much stuff because you don't know when an emergency will come up and you need the gear for not only yourself, but others you may come across that need help.  The total setup of my otter was designed to be pulled by my sled.  Total weight added was 46 pounds.  If I am going to fish small water around home, I have a one man Fish Trap that I pull by hand.  If for some reason I wanted to pull the Otter by hand, all the compartments are removable in about 15 seconds.  I designed and build the addition to fit tight so there are ZERO bolts drilled into my Otter to hold it in.  It wedges perfectly and is rock solid.

Ok, now I wanted to add lights.  I checked out the led lights that you just push and they come on but I did not like those.  That's just not how I do things.  I ordered 3 additional LED lights from BestHongKong and they arrived so I installed those.  I wired all the lights (with the help of my wife!) and mounted them in the 3 compartments.  There are also two LED strings on the poles above me for light.  I made a base for the LED switches and wired all the lights to the switches.  Here are the pics.

Here are the toggle switches:

First compartment:

Second compartment:

Third compartment:

Overhead lighting:

LED switches in the "on" position:

Power source running all the lights:

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Steuben1

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Jeff, next year can you work on mine?  Looks sweet.  Hats off to ya!!!!!!! ;)

BTW Rocky, earlier in this thread some of us questioned the weight factor.  Steubby 1 addressed our questions then.

rickl1968

« Reply #55 on: Nov 21, 2011, 08:10 PM »
Now thats slick!

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:30 AM »
very nice but if we dont get some ice, he is gonna put a hot tub in the thing ;D

Offline FrostyShavings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Nov 22, 2011, 03:20 PM »
very nice work steuben, looks great!!!  :thumbsup:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #58 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:23 PM »
Helluva job Steuben!  Is the party at your place next time we meet at Sag Bay?   ;D
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
« Reply #59 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:26 PM »
Awesome job!!!  Looks great!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.