The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: 4wheeler  (Read 3350 times)

Offline HardWaterAddiction

• IceShanty Rookie
4wheeler
« on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Anyone out there brave enough to take a 4 wheeler on the ice after all that snow?  I'm planning on heading out Saturday and wondering if it will be good by then. 

Offline Morfishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 4wheeler
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:55 AM »
DEPENDS ON WITCH END OF THE LAKE YOUR ON  ;D
Fish have tails

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:59 AM »
Haven't yet but can't imagine it would be.I suspect there will be atleast 2' of slush in spots..

Offline Morfishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:07 AM »
Anyone out there brave enough to take a 4 wheeler on the ice after all that snow?  I'm planning on heading out Saturday and wondering if it will be good by then. 
went out the other day one side of the pond had 4 feet of snow the other side had 8 inches
Fish have tails

Offline burgerboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:14 AM »
There should be still some snow but probibly more slush than snow we need cold weather agen
drilling and killing

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:19 AM »
and I would be carefull on the wheeler, know your lake.  We were out the other day on about 16 inches of ice and found a spring hold that had a skim of 1/2" of ice about 12' long and 4' deep.  Way bad surprise to find that under the snow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:31 AM »
went out the other day one side of the pond had 4 feet of snow the other side had 8 inches

Just curious which end had 8 inches?  Was it the southern end?

Offline Morfishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Just curious which end had 8 inches?  Was it the southern end?
Sorry not the same pond you plan on fishing. Just talking  in genreal
Fish have tails

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:49 AM »
Just trying to determine in general which side of lakes the wind put the snow.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:53 AM »
Even with chains  Plan on carring a shovel you will be hung up  on the drifts.

Offline Morfishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:03 AM »
Just trying to determine in general which side of lakes the wind put the snow.
On that pond the north west side had less snow
Fish have tails

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' lips one fish at a time!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Saw a wheeler out on Pleasant Pond on Sunday.  The deep snow was spotty but you could see it coming.  He didn't seem to be having much of a problem.

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:32 PM »
I took mine out on Sunday after walking a ways on the pond and figuring.."it aint too bad"....got it stuck in the first thirty feet and spent the next hour getting it out. Didn't have chains so I can't say it would have mattered.
Might be easier to tell around Friday after a couple days of melt......I'm hoping to use mine next weekend too.

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Had to make a go at getting to the Shack today... If you are not Geared Up Like this, don't bother!

This was the drift at the Lake edge About 7 ft high and 20 yards long, See how far the white slush goes out on the lake? yay

Once down the lake the Ice was clear.

Diff Lock, ITP's, 500 Gold diggers, Didn't matter, this was the only way she was getting back up on Terra Firma. Winched right  up on the better frozen stuff no problem 

If it stays like this I may try putting my Loading ramps from the slop, up to the top, and see if she will crawl out better.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hell Ain't a bad place to be!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:57 PM »
One word... Snowmobile!!!  @)

Offline loveatfirstbite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:02 PM »
hardwateraddiction- you need to determine where you are going and what end of the lake you are fishing. people fish in different lakes than you, you know. the wind drifts are different based on the location of the lakes. get with it

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:02 PM »
One word... Snowmobile!!!  @)
Ah....Not where i was!   There were 2 sleds MIRED in slush, tunnels FULL no reverse and no winch, they were there for over 2 hours trying to get back to the landing!  :P

Offline Tilt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Ugghhh Grumpy, seeing that that's down the street I'm not exactly getting psyched for the weekend.  I went to a spot on Sunday and snowshoed up to the slide before I hit the bare ice.  Down by the brook/beach I dug to try and find the ice and was nervous for a while that I was going to find I was standing on snow over open water.  By the time I hit the ice I was over my head.  I couldn't even imagine trying to get the wheeler out there now.  Gonna be miserable for the foreseable future.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:13 PM »
They probably didn't know how to ride. I went out to check my shack sat nite. Blazed the trail through about 100 3-6 ft snow drifts. I would like to see you do that with that behemoth. And what do you hook your winch to on the lake? And by the way it only took me about 45 seconds from when I hit the lake to my shack about a mile.

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:24 PM »
Was going to drill and make a dead-man anchor, but I  had enough cable and chain to wrap a boulder in shore.
  Hey, maybe u were blasting around in the powder the other night...  :bow: but Now, you will  just make a plop in this slush Ol' Boy!    ;D

Say what you will, Look at the gear on that thing, and not towing any freakin jet sled!
 Sold my sled and replaced it with A real machine! BEST thing I could have done.
 Look on the bright side, maybe you can do Grass Drags with your Sled in the Summer!  :woot:

Offline loveatfirstbite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:35 PM »
They probably didn't know how to ride. I went out to check my shack sat nite. Blazed the trail through about 100 3-6 ft snow drifts. I would like to see you do that with that behemoth. And what do you hook your winch to on the lake? And by the way it only took me about 45 seconds from when I hit the lake to my shack about a mile.

hardwateraddiction probably doesn't have a clue on how to ride if he's asking questions' like this

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:02 PM »
Was going to drill and make a dead-man anchor, but I  had enough cable and chain to wrap a boulder in shore.
  Hey, maybe u were blasting around in the powder the other night...  :bow: but Now, you will  just make a plop in this slush Ol' Boy!    ;D

Say what you will, Look at the gear on that thing, and not towing any freakin jet sled!
 Sold my sled and replaced it with A real machine! BEST thing I could have done.
 Look on the bright side, maybe you can do Grass Drags with your Sled in the Summer!  :woot:
120 hp and a good track with picks... What slush hole??

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:05 PM »
It is a nice rig though @)

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Truth be told... I miss my sled Already!!  :'(
     Hey, I am just Stoked we are getting a decent winter so everyone gets  to  do their thing!  It's impressive how far Sleds and wheelers have advanced in the last few years.  With the right set up , and the right operator  they  are ruthless!
  Sleds, Wheelers, Augers Oh My!  ;D     Love it!

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:28 PM »
one word, HONDA

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:40 PM »
one word, HONDA
Ok... lets see it then!
  Always had Hondas in the past, ( 250R, 300EX, CR125, CBR 600, Foreman 500, never had any complaints. But if you look at their ATV lineup, it is obvious they are cutting corners to keep cost down or something. Mono Shock Rear Solid Axle? Ummm, No thanks? There  is a laundry list of things that Honda couldn't even compare.

Offline rangerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:48 AM »
Anyone know if they're using them on Sabattus?

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:56 AM »
120 hp and a good track with picks... What slush hole??
You can have 500 hp and all the picks you want, find enough slush and you will be stopped

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:59 AM »
Ok... lets see it then!
  Always had Hondas in the past, ( 250R, 300EX, CR125, CBR 600, Foreman 500, never had any complaints. But if you look at their ATV lineup, it is obvious they are cutting corners to keep cost down or something. Mono Shock Rear Solid Axle? Ummm, No thanks? There  is a laundry list of things that Honda couldn't even compare.
the motor

Offline gunrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:46 AM »
The MOTOR don't do crap for four foot drifts or 12"of slush with two feet of snow on it.Get a clue.Tracks on a wheeler are the best way to go right now.Been pulling sleds off the ice all week long. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.