Author Topic: help! I am converting a storage shed to ice shanty  (Read 11813 times)

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
help! I am converting a storage shed to ice shanty
« on: Oct 15, 2009, 02:34 PM »
a Friend was going to demolish and throw away a 10-12 storage shed in the back yard of his newly purchased house to make way for other things and I told him I wanted it to convert to a ice fishing shanty.  we cut into sections that will fit on a trailer and take it to my cabin in lake Louise and reassemble it and convert to a ice fishing shanty.  having never built one before I am totally open to any suggestions that all you old pros out there have. 

here are some basic questions.

the roof is shingles...   they seem heavy do I need to pull that off and go with metal?  is the weight savings worth it?

what is the best way to set up skids...   what is the best material?  I had one suggestion to go to value villiage and buy a couple old pair of skis and bold those to the skids??  any thoughts?

I assume that your basic Blueboard is the best for insulating it?  should I insulate the floor too?

what about cutting the hole in the floor for fishing?  any suggestions on layout or other specifics?

what is the best way to create the towing bridle?  rope? chain? wire rope?

any other general suggestions from all you guys who have already done this and know what mistakes to avoid

thanks a bunch in advance for your help

Dalton

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: help! I am converting a storage shed to ice shanty
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2009, 05:17 PM »
For skids you can set it on 2X8's with curved ends and put some 1 1/2" UMHW plastic on the bottom to aid in sliding it around.
I would try to lighten it up as much as possible. If the walls are 2X4's replace with 2X2's, try and cut down your roof weight (remove shingles and replace with metal).
Any of those hitch methods will work.
Once you figure out where you want things laid out inside you can determine where to put your hole hatches.
Tip: make sure the holes aren't jammed into the corners as you will need room to get your auger in there to do it's job.
Blueboard is perfect for insulating and don't worry about the floor unless you are planning to stay in there over night.
Don't forget to put in some windows that open for venting.
That should get you started.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2009, 06:40 PM »
I would agree on the 2x4's and with using the ptex. I have pictures posted on here of my 8x16 shanty build and my floor and walls are insulted with 2" blue foam. Stays about 100 at the ceiling with the stove going....so it's t-shirts and bahama mama drinks on the inside!

Best of luck

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2009, 03:17 PM »
use 5 gallon buckets to help you plan your hole locations - put a lawn chair or two in there or whatever you plan to have for seating, use cardboard boxes to simulate stove or heater or other things and just sit in there and move all that around until you like the layout.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2009, 03:25 AM »
if you want a workbench or eating table or whatever, take a 2x12 or 2x10, or however wide you want it, and hinge it to a wall, so it will fold away. if you take 2 two small chains bolted from the ceiling to your hinged "table" where its level when in use, and another chain or even a bungee bolted to the wall, and a hook on the table, to hook the table up to hold it in place  then you can fold the table up and out of the way safe and secure when not in use. very tired so hopefully you can piece this post together..... also you could have rod holders attached to the walls near the holes if theres room, that way you can have a free hand to drink your beer
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2009, 03:12 PM »
thanks for all the ideas!!  keep them coming

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2009, 05:02 PM »
thanks for all the ideas!!  keep them coming

Dalton,
  Since you don't have to stay out on the lake unless fishing. Why not get a pop up ice shelter. It would allow you to move around a lot more and even explore other lakes. Thats my plan.

Unless you know "THE PLACE" on the lake to auger a hole and catch fatties all day and night and all winter. You are going to have to move around a bit anyway. Moving needs to be fast and easy.

If you need a woodstove. Alaska Tent and Tarp have some for ideas.

Mike

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2009, 05:23 AM »
A few ideas for you..

-To keep you hole from freezing (sounds bad i know) measure the distance from the ground to top of the floor (from the inside of the shelter). Lets just say its around 14 inches for example.  Cut a 5 gallon bucket 14 inches from the top so its basically a ring with no bottom.  After you drill your hole and scoop it out, slide the bucket over your hole.  It creates a wind barrier and keeps the ice from freezing while you fish.

- If you are going to put any lights in there do yourself as favor and use LED's as they are more energy efficient. 
  -RV stores are a great place to shop since they operate under the same principles (light weight, battery operated etc..)
 - Check out these websites for ideas

http://www.fishhouseforsale.com

http://www.fishhousesupply.com

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2009, 05:34 AM »
....so it's t-shirts and bahama mama drinks on the inside!

Best of luck

I like the way you fish. Lemme know when you go boozin, uh.. i mean fishin

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2009, 11:05 AM »

I like the way you fish. Lemme know when you go boozin, uh.. i mean fishin

Well it will be time for boozin when the time comes to move the house out to the lake! I have an excellent idea this year though! I am going to try to find some of those cargo ramps with all the little wheels on them to help my house just rol right up and onto the trailer! Now to only find some that will be strong enough!

I'll be sure t let you know when it's time for both! LOL

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Just remembered to mention you should look into buying used RV windows and a door for your shanty and also to put plywood on hinges on the inside to close it up and keep people out when you aren't there.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2009, 03:20 PM »
keep the ideas streamin in cmon im plannin on fishin with this guy alittle this winter so it better be a nice shanty!  ;D kiddin....i was thinkin if i guy were to get a generator for it, itd be convenient but more expensive....i use rechargeable multipurpose batteries for my light, fish tv, and they last for a whole day...recharge quickly, and they are only about 2 lbs...at sportsman for $25 with a charger.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2009, 03:30 PM »
in fact i even hook up my trollin motor to it in the summer, and i believe there is a portable heater that will work on those too......i converted a 3million candlepower spotlight to clamps instead of plug in so it would be portable at last a few hours for callin in varmints at nite ;D it works nice.....

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2009, 11:39 AM »
Dalton I think all of the suggestions are pretty good ones to start with!  My major concern is weight and portability.  Your skis should be very stable with the ability to withstand constant pulling out of frozen ice.  Built it sturdy the first time believe me!  I would go with a metal framed ski assembly, but if you decide on wood - you should really make them narrow to cut through the deep snow...  Don't place crossmembers under or between the skis unless it's something like 5/8" (or bigger) all thread type material. 
The weight issue is big too!  Try to keep weight down without sacrificing durability on the highway.  If you use metal roofing don't leave a lot of room for air to get up underneath it!  You'll have a roofless shack by the time you get to the lake, (watched it happen once.)  lighten the inside if possible and if you can transport your shack to a spray foam professional, do it!  This stuff is great and it will shut out those drafty areas + you can even paint the walls! 
Other things that help out....  LED lights are great! a small portable ceiling fan, (like a Coleman tent fan), Big buddy or Dynaglo heater to save on space + you can nail it to the wall, Velcro curtains, hooks all over the shack because they're handy.
Anyways, I would really concentrate on weight and ski integrity most!  The first year is about getting it out, the second is about turning it into a palace.  Hope you post pics!
Barleydog 
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2009, 09:03 PM »
My friend has an S-10 shell that he is trying to get rid of. Really nice shell, if he can't sell it, he may "donate it to the cause". It has 2 tinted slider windows etc..... Located in Wasilla. Just a thought.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2009, 07:38 PM »
Hey Dalton dont forget about the overflow that needs to be delt with.  We have 2 8x12 we put up there last year. each of them sleep 4. Dont forget to insulate the floor as well. -40 and your floor will not thaw out. Stop by when you see the shacks out. we always have the fruity drinks goin.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2009, 10:29 PM »
Hey Dalton dont forget about the overflow that needs to be delt with.  We have 2 8x12 we put up there last year. each of them sleep 4. Dont forget to insulate the floor as well. -40 and your floor will not thaw out. Stop by when you see the shacks out. we always have the fruity drinks goin.

I stopped by and didn't get any fruity drink?  ;D ;) :tipup:

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2009, 11:17 PM »
we thought you'd had enough........

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2009, 11:58 PM »
we thought you'd had enough........

We was sober :angel: really. Someone on the other hand was enjoying a nice barley breakfast, in shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt at -21 degrees F well before noon!  :) (I am not worthy! :bow: .....working on it)

We REALLY did appreciate the warm shanty!!! Thanks! I couldn't see a thing through the ice on my helmet and needed to thaw a minute.

Dalton served up some fine coffee and gave us a nickle tour!  :thumbsup: We also got to chat a bit at the LL meeting and at the lodges this past summer. I look forward to seeing all of you out there!!!  :icefish:

Seriously, we should all exchange info in case there is a problem. Cell phones work on most of the lake and VHF is an effective alternative. I have 2 handheld VHF radios that have been very handy so far. I even have a coffee pot and a wood stove.

Mike

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2009, 08:33 PM »
what i really meant to say was we thought you were fruity enough..lol

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2009, 09:17 PM »
what i really meant to say was we thought you were fruity enough..lol

That's just wrong.... funny, but wrong.  ;)

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 27, 2009, 11:50 PM »
hey dalt got a big shed thats gettin ripped down and thrown away here at my place in wasilla, need some extra material let me know

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2009, 12:18 AM »

:icefish: ;) :tipup:

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2009, 01:43 AM »
Well it will be time for boozin when the time comes to move the house out to the lake! I have an excellent idea this year though! I am going to try to find some of those cargo ramps with all the little wheels on them to help my house just rol right up and onto the trailer! Now to only find some that will be strong enough!

I'll be sure t let you know when it's time for both! LOL

Alright im game.  Im jones'n to drill some holes, catch some fish, drink some boo.. have some drinks and lie like a MOFO :o

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2009, 05:24 PM »
WOW!!

lots of great ideas and stuff I had not thougt of.  here is some additional information for those still thinking of thowing in there 2c. 

I do not have to transport the shanty on the highway, it will live at my cabin at lake louise when not in use.

I have a "pop up" tent and enjoyed it but am looking for a comfy place to spend the day goofing off and having a few drinks,  er... um... I mean fishing, and the tent was a bit cramped.

keep the ideas on ski design coming have not got a good plan there yet.  how high should the shanty be up off the ice on the skis?  is it common for the shanty to freeze to the ice surface? any way to help that? how difficult is it to break free?

I look forward to having a few guests this winter...   look forward to seeing you again mike!  btw we finally got all the mounted animals out this summer...     

thanks for all the input!!!

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2009, 08:53 PM »
a few guests eh? count me in ;D ill bring beer

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2009, 09:00 PM »
WOW!!

lots of great ideas and stuff I had not thougt of.  here is some additional information for those still thinking of thowing in there 2c. 

I do not have to transport the shanty on the highway, it will live at my cabin at lake louise when not in use.

I have a "pop up" tent and enjoyed it but am looking for a comfy place to spend the day goofing off and having a few drinks,  er... um... I mean fishing, and the tent was a bit cramped.

keep the ideas on ski design coming have not got a good plan there yet.  how high should the shanty be up off the ice on the skis?  is it common for the shanty to freeze to the ice surface? any way to help that? how difficult is it to break free?

I look forward to having a few guests this winter...   look forward to seeing you again mike!  btw we finally got all the mounted animals out this summer...     

thanks for all the input!!!

Dalton,

You should have alot more room now. Did Tree get your plumbing figured out?

What about a couple culvert skiis? I am making a freight sled out of them now. They will cut them to the width, length and bend the front/back to the angle that you desire. Corner of King Street and 100th.

Mike

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Oct 30, 2009, 10:40 AM »
Freezing in can be a problem. Most sit the shack on 2x4s under the skis and will jack up thae shack and put in more if the original ones sink too far into the ice. As the sun shines on them it warms them up enough to start melting into the ice.
How much snow do you get on the lake? Have access to a plow?
Most permies I have seen (back in Ontario, tons there) use 2X8's or 2X10's as skis.
You can double them up for strength (4X8,4X10). You can leave them bare or better yet run a strip of UHMW polyethelene down each ski.
You can make cover boards to place between the skis to block out the wind and snow (this eases the hole freezing problem and keeps your shack warmer) As it gets pretty dang cold in our area insulate the floor too otherwise at -30 and below you won't be able to get rid of the frost on the floor.

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 30, 2009, 01:57 PM »
Dalton,

You should have alot more room now. Did Tree get your plumbing figured out?

What about a couple culvert skiis? I am making a freight sled out of them now. They will cut them to the width, length and bend the front/back to the angle that you desire. Corner of King Street and 100th.

Mike

well after much melting with boiling water, salt, and anything else I could think of.....   I think I am down to an ice cube of about 300 gallons instead of the 1000 gallon block of frozen poo!!!   I should be good for the winter and next summer we have a better plan to make sure that the whole tank is thawed and empty by fall.  wish me luck!!!

jkw I will look forward to meeting you.  bring plenty of beer as I am sure that i will be hot and thirsty by then!!!!!!!!

culvert skis huh???  never heard of that...   any idea how much they cost?

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 30, 2009, 02:29 PM »

well after much melting with boiling water, salt, and anything else I could think of.....   I think I am down to an ice cube of about 300 gallons instead of the 1000 gallon block of frozen poo!!!   I should be good for the winter and next summer we have a better plan to make sure that the whole tank is thawed and empty by fall.  wish me luck!!!

jkw I will look forward to meeting you.  bring plenty of beer as I am sure that i will be hot and thirsty by then!!!!!!!!

culvert skis huh???  never heard of that...   any idea how much they cost?

lookin forward to meetin you guys too, and yea i guess id better bring a keg! you got a huge block of poo? mans thats gotta be somethin terrible

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.