Author Topic: help! I am converting a storage shed to ice shanty  (Read 11830 times)

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: help! I am converting a storage shed to ice shanty
« Reply #30 on: Oct 30, 2009, 06:06 PM »
when I bought my cabin last fall the family of the previous owner had not dumped the tank in almost 4 years.  I had no idea and got half way throught the winter and it was full and frozen solid.  it is a 1000 gal tank so I would tell poeple that I had 1000 gallons of frozen poo!!!

it took till mid july before it had thawed enough to pump out a worthwile amount.  after that we started with the boiling water and blowing heat at it.  if I were to face this problem again I would just by 25 feet of waterproof heat trace and throw it in there and run the generator for a couple days to thaw out the whole thing.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #31 on: Oct 30, 2009, 06:18 PM »
jesus...that would not be fun but hey someones gotta do it.
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #32 on: Oct 30, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Had that problem a few years ago Dalton. Full tank + lack of snow + 50 below = one giant poopsicle. This is how we thawed it in June, borrowed a wood fired steamer from a buddy and then had it pumped

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 02, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Had that problem a few years ago Dalton. Full tank + lack of snow + 50 below = one giant poopsicle. This is how we thawed it in June, borrowed a wood fired steamer from a buddy and then had it pumped

(Image removed from quote.)

I thought about a steamer.  intersting setup you have there.  how much water did you go though.  seems like it would be alot.  I also thought about making a make shift steamer like thing by using my turkey cooker and a big pot of water with a lid to just direct the steam from the boiling water through a tube into the tank. 

I think next summer I will just throw 25' of waterproof heat trace cord down there and leave it for future issues.

has anybody tried that?

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 02, 2009, 10:21 PM »

I need to get some hat channel formed to reinforce them, then build the hitch and bed. The goal is to be able to haul freight such as furniture to my cabin.

I think I paid just over $100.00 for them bent to specs. 104th and King St.

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #35 on: Nov 06, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Dalton we had to refill the tank all afternoon, maybe once an hour. Once I got the hose to the bottom of the tank it went faster than I thought it would. I'm thinking me and my buddies consumed as much liquid as the steamer that afternoon!

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 06, 2009, 06:35 PM »
well done on consuming as much liquid as the steamer....   

even a bad day out at the cabin beats the best day of working anytime.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 06, 2009, 07:17 PM »
you cabin guys are my idol! Oh and barley with his soon to be new garage!  Enjoy it - you're living the dream!

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:34 PM »
well done on consuming as much liquid as the steamer....   

even a bad day out at the cabin beats the best day of working anytime.

I agree. Last trip out there, as we were leaving the cabin, I realized that I didn't want to leave. I had to force myself to get in the boat. I may take a couple weeks off next spring.

Mike

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Nov 09, 2009, 02:03 PM »
I agree. Last trip out there, as we were leaving the cabin, I realized that I didn't want to leave. I had to force myself to get in the boat. I may take a couple weeks off next spring.

Mike
[/quote

I know what you mean mike.  this summer my wife decided to stay for the week while I had to go back to work.  we got alot done at the cabin this summer including getting the water system working, including the on demand propane hot water heater.  the hot showers were great.  to bad I can't use the water system in the winter yet!  I even cobbled together a rain water catchment system and we don't have to pump out of the lake!!!    :)

maybe some day I will get to spend more time there.  but for now I still have to work ???

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 09, 2009, 06:58 PM »
what were the lake conditions dalton?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.