The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 161681 times)

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #300 on: Dec 31, 2014, 03:12 PM »
I wanted to give a review for anyone considering using a cordless drill with a ice auger. While researching this on the web it would appear it can be difficult to hold the drill and not end up with a broken or bruised hand/arm while drilling, do to the torque from the drill. Here is what I have put together.

I recently purchased a Clam Ice Auger Conversion kit (plate only) for $59.99 from Gander Mountain. I paired this with a 6" mora hand auger and a Dewalt 20 volt Lit cordless drill with 1.5 ah batteries and 300 watts of power for $99.99. I also tested with a 8" lazer and mora auger.
This set up with the dewalt drill was was able to drill 17 holes through 6" of ice with the 6" mora auger bit on one battery. When I tried to 8" lazer I barley got one hole drilled with a fresh battery and about killed the drill. While the results were fair, I was not sold on this yet.

On my second attempt to build a cordless drill auger with the Clam Ice Auger Conversion kit I paired it with a 18 volt Rigid lith hammer drill with 3.0 ah batteries and over 600 lbs of torque for $199.99. I tested this on Saginaw Bay over the past few days on 12" of ice and here are the results.

I first tried the 8" mora and was able to drill one hole but the drill was working to do so. I could of drilled a few more but didn't want to kill the drill.. I then remove the 8" auger and put on the 6" mora and a new battery. I was able to drill 39 holes with ease through 12" of ice on one battery. It drills the hole in a matter of seconds, with very little pressure applied. I was very happy with the results and this auger is now with me on every trip. Since I like to use 8" hole or bigger for walleye, I have been drilling two 6" holes side by side while on the bay and it has worked out great and I really see no need for a bigger auger bit. They sell an extension for $14.95 which I will be purchasing since it looks like this will be an epic year for ice conditions.

Here are a few more things I really like about this set up.

The total unit might weigh 12-13lbs
It chews threw the ice with ease
You pull the trigger and start drilling and its silent
Because of the Clam plate it is very easy to handle when drilling
I can drill 78 6" holes through 12 inches of ice on two batteries or a total of 936 inches of ice.

Here is a pic of my new Clam Ice Auger

(Image removed from quote.)

For anyone looking to use a cordless drill with an auger, I highly recommend this setup. The key is to use a high torque drill on the lowest gear setting and 18 volt 3 ah lith batters or higher.
how do you remove the chuck keyless on Rigid Drill  after screw out inside chuck then.......  i have struggled with chuck remove and wont get off i followed the intro from clam plate description about drill chuck but failed and called Rigid customer service and said use put allen hex on chuck and hammer on it will get loose turn even right and left  no avail ..   then give up.  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :cookoo: :cookoo:
Rigid 18 v  half inches dia. and 5oo something lbs torque

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #301 on: Dec 31, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Check this video out.  Not only does the Red lithium 5.0 battery have 20% more amp-hours, it is claimed to be more WATER RESISTANT.  This could be really neat for our application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVJGzXGu5eo

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #302 on: Jan 01, 2015, 01:15 PM »
Just installed my older brushed Makita LXT BDF451 (560 in.lbs.) to the Clam plate and a 8" Strikemaster lazer auger.  Was surprised how well it did.  I was only drilling through 8" of ice but managed to drill 15 holes before I got too cold. (-25 windchill).  I cant wait until the XPH07 comes in! I ordered it Monday off Amazon and it was $25 off! I paid $104 for the tool (no batteries).  I have 3 3.0 AH batteries which I will make do until I get the 5's.  So far very impressed!

Your going to love it. My friend has the older brushed LXT hammer drill and the new brushless blows it away.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #303 on: Jan 01, 2015, 01:18 PM »
I finally killed one (4ah) battery on my new makita hammer drill. I ended up with 400" of ice on one charge. I think the cold had a play in the last day I used it.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #304 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Finally had a chance to try out mine today.  Set up blew me away!  Never going back to gas augers again!
Let's fish it.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #305 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:32 PM »
I'm on my 1st season with mine.  Got a nice 4 stroke Strikemaster that has yet to leave my garage.  We are on about 10 inches of ice here so far this year and I have yet to be able to slow this thing down.  I have been out with it about 12 times now.  The last time I had it out, I drilled about 20 - 6 inch holes and the battery never left a full charge reading.  I fish out of a 1 man flip and it fits right into the sled with the rest of my gear.  I put it in the sled and throw the cover right over the top of everything.  Yesterday when I was out, there was a guy about 50 yards away yanking away on a gas auger trying to get it started.  He finally got it going, but it didn't look like much fun.   I stopped in the bait shop to get some bait and a guy came in looking for a new spark plug for his auger.  I don't miss that either. 

Again, these aren't for everyone.  If you fish tip ups a lot or like an 8 inch or bigger hole, this probably isn't the set up for you.  But for everyone else, I have to say I have been very impressed after 12 outings so far.  For me the biggest advantages are:  size/portability; will easily fit in the smallest of sleds.  Weight; 11 lbs with the drill and battery.  Ease; no gas smell, no exhaust, no waiting for the motor to warm up or trying to start it. You pull this out of the sled, remove the blade cover, hit the trigger and you are drilling holes. 

I remember looking at these before I tried one myself.  I was VERY skeptical.  But I have to say after using this for the last month and a half or so, I have been very impressed.  As the ice continues to get thicker, I'll be curious to see how it performs, but so far so good this season.   
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #306 on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:11 AM »
I was test on my Ridgid 18 v with 2 ah battery on Clam Plate and Eskimo 6 inches  and drill on ice 8 inches yesterday  Wow sweet cutting faster like butter  32 and half on holes equal one battery  :o  it worth for Ridgid 18 v is Lifetime replacement better than other.  and budget wise..  ;D

Offline Burrb12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #307 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:14 AM »
Hello,

I just purchased this drill plate, and I have a Rigid 18v drill as well. But I can not get the chick off of the drill. I have removed the cross threaded screw, and tried an alen wrench and an impact driver on it. Any suggestions since you have the same setup?

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #308 on: Jan 04, 2015, 11:19 AM »
Read several threads here.  Lots of people having trouble, eventually get them off.  Different things to try.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=300034.0

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=298929.0

More if you look, or even search.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #309 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:18 PM »
Hello,

I just purchased this drill plate, and I have a Rigid 18v drill as well. But I can not get the chick off of the drill. I have removed the cross threaded screw, and tried an alen wrench and an impact driver on it. Any suggestions since you have the same setup?

Go the equipment section of this forum and read " clam plate brainstorm". This is the best of both worlds.

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #310 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Hello,

[/quote
I had a problem similar yours  You take Allen socket put in chuck to tight lock up and  Socket handle on it   Knock out with heavy hammer 

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #311 on: Jan 04, 2015, 07:25 PM »
I assembled the clam plate today with the M18. No issues getting the screw out of the chuck or removing the chuck thanks to the videos posted here.

The only issue was that I wanted to try an old 6" mora hand auger but it is screws on. I assume there is an adapter for that? Then I tried my 7" lazer electric auger. The hole is bigger on the auger than the clam plate so it is not a good fit. I ended up cutting a peice of 3/4" plastic pipe to fill the gap. That worked pretty good and it is a snug fit. The clam shaft goes inside of it and the auger goes on the outside.

I want to use the 7" anyway so it's all good. Hopefully I can try it soon!

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #312 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:21 PM »
I assembled the clam plate today with the M18. No issues getting the screw out of the chuck or removing the chuck thanks to the videos posted here.

The only issue was that I wanted to try an old 6" mora hand auger but it is screws on. I assume there is an adapter for that? Then I tried my 7" lazer electric auger. The hole is bigger on the auger than the clam plate so it is not a good fit. I ended up cutting a peice of 3/4" plastic pipe to fill the gap. That worked pretty good and it is a snug fit. The clam shaft goes inside of it and the auger goes on the outside.

I want to use the 7" anyway so it's all good. Hopefully I can try it soon!

Something doesnt sound right or look right with your setup.  Your mora should be able to bolt right up using a wing bolt.   Same thing with your lazer bit.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #313 on: Jan 05, 2015, 01:31 AM »
I had an old  Mora that threaded together top and  bottom.  It pretty much was threaded together permanently.  You prolly will need to make something custom.  You could cut the top a convenient distance above the thread, put a collar on it, and drill and tap it to attach to the clam adapter.  This assumes that the diameter of the auger shaft/handle is correct.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #314 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:15 AM »
Yeah I could make something custom for the mora. It would be pretty simple to do. I will see how the 7" works first.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #315 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:18 AM »

Something doesnt sound right or look right with your setup.  Your mora should be able to bolt right up using a wing bolt.   Same thing with your lazer bit.

Every auger bit connects a little differently. The lazer is a power lazer bit and the hole is bigger than a hand lazer. Like buz said, the old mora hand auger screwed on. There is no wing bolt.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #316 on: Jan 05, 2015, 01:43 PM »
Every auger bit connects a little differently. The lazer is a power lazer bit and the hole is bigger than a hand lazer. Like buz said, the old mora hand auger screwed on. There is no wing bolt.

I can understand the old mora setup but why are you using a powered lazer bit on the clam plate?  Power lazer blades is pretty aggressive cut I don't think a hand drill will be able to properly turn it and if even it does turn it, it may burn up your drill's lifespan quickly.  Has anyone else attempted to use a powered lazer bit?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #317 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:57 PM »
I think the power lazer bit would be questionable on the drill..........

With the older mora, would it be possible to take some threaded pipe and adaptors to fit it onto the clam plate?

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #318 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:11 PM »
how do you remove the chuck keyless on Rigid Drill  after screw out inside chuck then.......  i have struggled with chuck remove and wont get off i followed the intro from clam plate description about drill chuck but failed and called Rigid customer service and said use put allen hex on chuck and hammer on it will get loose turn even right and left  no avail ..   then give up.  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :cookoo: :cookoo:
Rigid 18 v  half inches dia. and 5oo something lbs torque
I had a friend do mine. I told him how these guyse have done it. he had a big hex wrench with a good size T-handle. inserted and tightened the chuck. a couple of grunts and groans later, it came loose. course, his arms are 3x bigger than mine, too....oh yeah, turn counter clockwise

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #319 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Well I have the new Makita XPH07 drill hammer installed on the clam auger plate with the SM 8" auger.  I will try it tonight.  I was surprised that it would safety trip the drill turning the auger bit on setting 2.  I know I will never use that setting when drilling a hole but I was surprised.  Cant wait to try it tonight.  Will report back after the test.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #320 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:18 PM »
I think the power lazer bit would be questionable on the drill..........

With the older mora, would it be possible to take some threaded pipe and adaptors to fit it onto the clam plate?

I will try it this weekend and see how it works. If it is an issue then I will rig up an adapter for the old mora.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #321 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:31 PM »
Got my set up ( 20 v max DeWalt and 6 in Lazer) out yesterday ...little bit of a learning curve ...but worked well overall . Any tips on keeping the blades from skipping ? I did have to tweak the trigger paddle adjustment as it was sticking some upon retuning home .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #322 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:57 PM »
Well, the results are in with the Makita XPH07.  This thing will eat.  8" hole I was able to get 20 holes going through 12" of ice.  This is with a 3ah battery.  This will work for me!  Definately drills the hole a lot faster than the brushed Makita and doesnt sound like its straining the drill.  Cant wait to get the 5ah batteries.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #323 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:12 AM »

I can understand the old mora setup but why are you using a powered lazer bit on the clam plate?  Power lazer blades is pretty aggressive cut I don't think a hand drill will be able to properly turn it and if even it does turn it, it may burn up your drill's lifespan quickly.  Has anyone else attempted to use a powered lazer bit?

It is definitely not as aggressive as a NILS and I believe people are using them with no issue???

The 7" lazer was from my strikemaster electra.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #324 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:30 PM »
It is definitely not as aggressive as a NILS and I believe people are using them with no issue???

The 7" lazer was from my strikemaster electra.

Powered lazer drill bits arent engineered to be hand augers.  They are heavier, have a more aggressive cut, ive never attempted to turn a power lazer bit by hand but I dont think its gonna be anywhere easy to do or if even possible by hand?

The NILS bit are not an aggressive cut, its first of all a hand auger converted to power with a Tanaka powerhead.  So its blades are angled to shave ice as effortless as it can be, thats what makes it unique.  If you ever try an 8" hand Lazer vs a 8" Nils you will notice the Nils cuts alot easier by hand turn.

But this is interesting your the first to attempt to use a power drill lazer on the clam plate.  Let us know of outcome if it works for ya, if it does then I guess its dandy?

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #325 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:19 PM »
Just wondering what clutch setting is best recommened for my Milwaukee drill, I know it should be set to drill mode and #1(low) setting. Does the setting on the clutch matter? Mine goes up to 24.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #326 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:22 PM »
No, if you are in "drill" mode the numbers don't mean a thing and you get full torque without slipping.  Only in the "Drive" mode will the clutch slip and then the lower the number the easier it slips.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #327 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Sounds good! Hoping to get out tomorrow before work for a test drive :tipup:

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #328 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:11 PM »
Having a very hard time trying to remove the chuck on my brand new Dewalt 1/2 drill DCD980 did a google search and not much help there. Screw inside of chuck removed and large allen wrench installed in chuck, hit with hammer counter clockwise and won't break loose. Please Help, I want to try out my new Clam Plate this Sat.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #329 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Having a very hard time trying to remove the chuck on my brand new Dewalt 1/2 drill DCD980 did a google search and not much help there. Screw inside of chuck removed and large allen wrench installed in chuck, hit with hammer counter clockwise and won't break loose. Please Help, I want to try out my new Clam Plate this Sat.

Clamp the drill to a bench. Then put a pipe on the allen head and turn it. There is a video a page or two back that shows it step by step on an M18.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.