Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Little Wall  (Read 5590 times)

Offline tsamp

• IceShanty Rookie
Little Wall
« on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:29 PM »
4" yesterday. All the yellows you could handle(6-9") plus lots of 5-6"crappies and bluegills. Kept 35 crappies and bluegills 7-8". No bait needed. They were hitting anything small, bait or no bait. Do not know what this rain is going to do to the ice. Fished right off the ramp in 8 FOW.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Little Wall
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:41 PM »
7-8" crappie are keepers?  :o
EYECONICFISHING

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who bait.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Holy cow. i need to go where you are going..

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Any recent news on the condition of the ice at Little Wall?
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:42 PM »
someone needs to keep the dinks.. there isn't enough forage for the panfish. If he wants to clean and its within the regs who cares.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline crouch2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2011, 05:34 PM »
stopped by there tonight on my way home from ames ice was 2 maybe 3 inches north boat ramp seen were someone drilled 5 to  6 hole but not thick enought for me and the holes were from last weekend 

Offline tsamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2011, 04:51 PM »
5 inches today. Found 2 1 foot holes where water ran down cracks. Only finicky small crappies and bluegills.

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:41 PM »
Where is little wall

Offline crouch2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:12 AM »
it is south of jewell on hiway 69

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:26 AM »
thanks for the reports, any new ice measurements after the warm weekend?
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:07 PM »
someone needs to keep the dinks.. there isn't enough forage for the panfish. If he wants to clean and its within the regs who cares.

X2 ... I'm with you ,Mike

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline FISH_IQ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the fish won't know what hit 'em
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:33 PM »
4 inches still.  I fished the western half of the lake.  Southeast end by the houses has open water, but most of the lake is good.  7in crappies 6in bluegill and 5in yellows.  Fun, but no keepers, it was good jigging method practice.  County conservation officer came out and checked my license while I was there too so make sure you remember to bring yours along if you go.

Offline Bignate33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:08 PM »
The ONLY thing good about yellows in Little Wall is that maybe they will grow fast enough that by next year there will be some fish in there worth keeping.  I would love to have something in there to make it worth poking holes in that lake.  I'm 5 minutes away from the lake, would love to be able to run out after work for a couple hours and catch a few worth eating.  Of course, I've been crossing my fingers for the last 10 years that something worth keeping would grow in that lake.
You can't go fishing and drink beer all day if you don't start first thing in the morning!

Offline crouch2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:15 PM »
I havent figured out what happen there but when i was in high school late 80's at jewell the bluegilss were huge and very plentiful and alot of nice northerns then the perch and crappies showed up and its been crappy  from then out

Offline Bignate33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:04 PM »
I havent figured out what happen there but when i was in high school late 80's at jewell the bluegilss were huge and very plentiful and alot of nice northerns then the perch and crappies showed up and its been crappy  from then out

To me is seemed to start going to hell when they raised the bass minimum size to 16"..then to 18"...prior to that, Little Wall always seemed to produce decent sized panfish...but after that...nothing but dinks.  I don't know what the correlation would be...but that seemed to be the timeframe that everything went to hell on it.
You can't go fishing and drink beer all day if you don't start first thing in the morning!

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:20 PM »
Anyone have a recent report on the ice thickness?? Thanks in advance.

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Wellp... I bit the bullet today and drove up to little wall and as soon as I pulled up I saw a clam pull over in the middle of the lake!! I drilled a hole an there was atleast 6" of good ice. Neeedless to say, I will be returning tomorrow morning with my gear. (today is the wife's bday and I can't fish today or else I'd be out there right now)

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Wellp... I bit the bullet today and drove up to little wall and as soon as I pulled up I saw a clam pull over in the middle of the lake!! I drilled a hole an there was atleast 6" of good ice. Neeedless to say, I will be returning tomorrow morning with my gear. (today is the wife's bday and I can't fish today or else I'd be out there right now)

Thanks for the report...been thinking of getting up real early tomorrow and driving up to Little Wall to get a couple hours in too...

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:02 PM »
If I wasn't out of town for the week I'd be heading that way as well most likely. Thanks for the reports guys!

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:29 PM »
Thanks for the report...been thinking of getting up real early tomorrow and driving up to Little Wall to get a couple hours in too...

No go for me...Wife got home from doing some errands and her van has a flat tire so I'll have to wait until after Christmas before I go North...be safe out there.

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Got out today. Had a blast! I was the only one on the lake until about 10 a.m. And there was was only 2 other shacks out when I left around noon. Kept a few yellows crappies blue gills and a catfish... Good 7 inches of ice. Ice was loud this a.m. as it was forming. Will be out again on Monday.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2011, 05:22 AM »
Other than some nice catfish in there and a few descent bass it will only get worse now that the yellows are taking hold.  IMO their probably about as big as they'll get in there right now. 

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:38 PM »
anyone been by little wall lately? How much open water is there?? Thanks in advance

Offline bassfishnhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:31 PM »
I drove by there on Monday and with the wind there was a patch of open water out from Story City point that went to the northeast. It didn't look good. Are you guys fishing the north or the south boat ramp?

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:05 PM »
thanks for the info bassfishnhunt.

I was out fishing it on the north end the day after x-mas and i havent been out by there since. there was roughly 3-6 inches of ice depending on where you were then. I doubt there is much there now with the warmer temps we've had the past week or two. just curious of the open water and where it is at. where exactly is story city point? people were on the south side fishing the day after x-mas too but i wouldnt reccommend it to anyone as there was mostly open water there a few days before x-mas when i checked it out. looking to fish somewhere this coming weekend. it sounds like we will be drive north to clear lake most likey with this weeks temps...

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:45 PM »
thanks for the info bassfishnhunt.

I was out fishing it on the north end the day after x-mas and i havent been out by there since. there was roughly 3-6 inches of ice depending on where you were then. I doubt there is much there now with the warmer temps we've had the past week or two. just curious of the open water and where it is at. where exactly is story city point? people were on the south side fishing the day after x-mas too but i wouldnt reccommend it to anyone as there was mostly open water there a few days before x-mas when i checked it out. looking to fish somewhere this coming weekend. it sounds like we will be drive north to clear lake most likey with this weeks temps...

Hey jho:

I was one the guys fishing the South end the day after Christmas, there was roughly 5 to 7" of ice at the time. The spot that we fished said the depth was roughly 5 fow so I wasn't too worried if we fell through but I didn't want to get wet either. LOL

I agree I wouldn't want to try now with the temps being up and down the last week. What were you catching at the North end?

We got some 5 small Blue gills and a 2 dink perch...

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:05 PM »
I'm surprised that there was that much ice down yonder! better than i would have imagined. We were catching a ton of dink gills and crappies up on the north half by the marina then we ventured straight out south of there to about the middle/north half of the lake where it was about 6 ft. deep and caught a ton of yellows and a few keeper crappies. nothing to write home about but still fun to catch.

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:14 PM »
I was by Little Wall today and there was a guy on the south end just off the boat ramp about 20-30 yards out. There was also a guy out off the North end also no idea of the ice thickness though.

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:07 PM »
Thanks for the update iowaboy.

I am surprised to hear that people are out on the ice with this weather... tomorrow and friday look awful!!!!! but next week looks like it could change for the better...finally...hop efully.....!

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:39 AM »
Thanks for the update iowaboy.

I am surprised to hear that people are out on the ice with this weather... tomorrow and friday look awful!!!!! but next week looks like it could change for the better...finally...hop efully.....!

Couldn't agree more

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.