Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Muskies on IGL!!!  (Read 12916 times)

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Muskies on IGL!!!
« on: Feb 13, 2009, 10:46 AM »
Just wondering which IGL would you consider to be the best for numbers and a possible new state record?
I know that Spirit has the current record and West held the previous reocord!!! I have only caught two muskies
but they were caught by accident. I know they say big lures catch big fish. Also what is a good lure(s) to use?
Do any of you ever catch muskies through the ice? Ive always herd that they shut down in the winter???
Anything will help! Thanks...

I will drill your hole
See ya on the ice!!! Go Packers!!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
Re: Muskies on IGL!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2009, 02:26 PM »
You need to talk to Esox Magnum...he's the resident musky expert for the Boji's on this site I would think.  He is planning on taking me out sometime this summers to cast some baby-leg crank baits for those bruisers...

right Esox??  :-)
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2009, 08:27 PM »
Sure Boji, I'm starting you out  with a 16 hour Curlie Sue casting marathon.  You can veiw these here  http://www.thelureshack.com/acatalog/11__Curly_Sue.html. After that maybe a day of casting Cowgirls just to give you a break   ;D

As for winter muskies, the seasons closed on the IGL's so you can't target them. Summer time  your right big baits. Mag Bulldawgs, Cowgirls Wades Wobblers ect. Make sure you have the proper nets ( should easily hold a full grown lab) and release toold before  catching one so you can quickly and safley get the fish CPR'd Good rod with a weight rating between 3-10 oz is a wise choice and a good quality reel like a 400 Shimano Calcutta. 174 pound 12" wire leader and your set.

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2009, 12:35 AM »
Jeez Esox how many magazines have you been reading? LOL

I will drill your hole!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2009, 06:36 PM »
I get north american Fisherman and Muskies Inc   ;D Also current board member Upper Great Plains chapter 29 Muskies Inc. After May 21 till ice up I fish muskies. You might think I have a slight addiction, your wrong its an obsession   ;D  ;D

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:10 PM »
Sounds like an obsession to me haha good luck on the Muskies!!! if you dont mind me asking what is your biggest IGL Muskie?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:47 PM »
Biggest in the net 48" biggest lost 52ish, biggest seen,,,,,,,,,  huge

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Nice fish!!! ive seen alot caught in the North Bay by Methodist Camp!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2009, 09:39 PM »
That pics also in the latest edition of Esox Angler. I have taken my fair share of fish from the north bay. Lost my biggest fish I ever hooked in that bay Nov 07. Maybe we can make a day on the lake sometime this season and chase a few.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Does "I'm not worthy" even cover it!!??  Dude...that is sick!!!!   Awesome...makes me want to up the ante and gear up for those guys...

Did I say that fish is nuclear??  It is... :o
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2009, 01:58 PM »
Please educate me!  I've never "targeted" muskies.  What's the best time of day?  Is this an early morning/evening kind of bite & what months do you have the best luck?  Just curious. 

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2009, 06:07 PM »
Does "I'm not worthy" even cover it!!??  Dude...that is sick!!!!   Awesome...makes me want to up the ante and gear up for those guys...

Did I say that fish is nuclear??  It is... :o

Dude that in all reality in the muskie world is just a nice one, maybe 35 pounds.Big starts at 40 pounds  sick is a true 50 pounder.

Muskies can bit any time day or nigh, hitting the feeding windows increase your odds though. Sunrise/sunset, Moonrise/moonset ect. The one in the pic came a few minutes after sundown and just after moonrise. Time of year, anytime. I got my first last year as the ice came off the lake at noonish from shore. A day earlier we would have been drilling holes to fish. Points, weedlines, breaks all spots to try. Casting or trolling will produce. Big baits and heavy equipments the norm.

I run 8'-9' MH-XXXH muskie rods with 400 series Shimano or Okuma baitcasters spooled with 80# Power Pro or Invisibraid with a 12" 150# Flouro or 174# Wire leaders.  Rods will handle baits from 1oz up to 20oz. Alot of time goes into every fish, logged 400+ hours in 08 for 9 boated fish and  100+ follows and 11 lost fish.

Muskies aren't for the guy looking for fast action, may fish several days in a row without a hit or follow, then hit a day when you stick 3-4 fish. Its an addiction like a drug once your bitten theres no going back.

Nets , release tools, measuring boards, baits, rods/reels you could spend thousands just to get started. I started with 2 baits thinking this will be something I do when the walleyes get slow. Now I have $3k in rods/reels $3-$4K in baits and another couple hundred in net and release tools. I spend most my time during open season chasing them now. I start on opener May 21st  (or sooner if I can get away to open waters) and quit when I can no longer get the boat to open water.

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2009, 10:33 PM »
I dont fish muskys, but have you heard of a lure called a "cowgirl". What size would you use up at the IGL's?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2009, 10:42 PM »
I think everyone in the muskie world has a few dozen of these in some form or another. The fish in the pic was caught on a custom Rob Kimm  Esox Angler Cowgirl. I think I have 14-15 of that type of baits. I prefer the double 10's AKA Double Cowgirl or a Llungen DC-10. At $20-$27 a pop they aren't cheap. We have had hits and follows on the Super Model to that has double 13 blades on it but will tire you out. I also have a double 10 blade rig I put on  Mag Bulldawgs and 11" Curlie Sues just for kicks.

No matter how you look at it cowgirls catch fish. I think theres been near 300 50"+ fish taken on this bait since they have came out in the last 5 years.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2009, 06:35 AM »
I caught 2 muskies last year on Clear Lake.  Both standing in 4fow in waders, casting a 1/16 oz jig with a minnow, on 4lb test Fireline, and a ML fast action rod.
Not the most ideal combination for muskie fishing, but both fish were released unharmed.  The first was a 24 incher :) and the second was a 45 incher, that was estimated at weighing 25lbs, it was definitely fat.
I wish I had the time to chase muskies, that was a good thrill bringing a fish in that could take your arm off.  And standing in waist deep water with that fish looking you right in the eyes was pretty cool too.

Offline N3480H

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2009, 08:32 AM »
Muskies bite.  Ow.

The few that I have caught while tossing spinnerbaits for pike . . have been a great ride. All are released unharmed.  Problem is, they are tackle wreckers.  They will throw skirts and blades all over the lake, just to show me who is in control.  They will tie spinnerbait wires into a double surgeon's knot and straighen out the hook.  A very large one broke my heart in front of Parks Marina 2 years ago.  They are great fun. 

Respect the man who can toss those big lures all day, for he is one tough SOB.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2009, 09:30 AM »
For those unfamiliar with muskie baits heres a few numbers.

Double Cowgirl.. roughly 12" long just over 3oz, pulls like a small volkswagon.
 Reg Bulldawg.... 12" around 5oz
 Mag Bulldawg 16-18" over 8oz
 Curlie Sue 13" over 12 oz
 Super Mag Dawg  24" 16 oz ( thats a can of beer)

Yes it does take stamina to chuck these all day long. Cowgirls will make your arm feel like a noodle after a few hours, ripping a mag dawg or curlie sue will make parts of your body hurt you forgot you had. Tie on a 10" or bigger Jake and rip that you'll think every rip you hit a snag. The high end rods and long tenths help with alot of these problems, a good matched reel also helps. For added excitement try doing all this at night.

My muskie box 24" x12"x 14" deep

13" Jake with a upper 30" fish

A few baits, the copper cowgirl was the bait the 48" took.

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:28 PM »
Esox. sounds like a plan to me!!! I would love to catch a few muskies and possibly a few nice pike too.
We will keep in contact and have to meet up on the open water for some Esox action..

Still looking for a 50-50 LOL

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:40 PM »

Still looking for a 50-50 LOL

You and me both, I'm hoping to get mine in Aug when I hit Vermillion for 7 days. 50"  is a reality on West, in fact not that uncommon. Both my regular partners have one and I have lost one. At our MI banquet Sat night 5 50" release awards were given out and 2 were from West, both 53's. The womans division winner had a 49" ( caught the same hour one of the 53" and in the same boat) I had a 50" follow in 07, hooked 1 in 08, 09 I'm putting one in the boat off my home waters. Vermillion I have the chance at fish up to and possibly over 57"

FYI, if your not aware there is a newly formed Iowa Muskie Trail this year if your interested, this is in addition to the Fall tourney and IDSO we put on here at Boji.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2009, 11:40 PM »
Thanks Essox for the interesting info & pics.  I knew muskie fishing was a different kind of dog, but after your education I have even more respect for all you diehards who really live it & do it right. This especially after realizing what $ committment it takes to do it seriously.

What better way to get a work out in than tossing those plugs!!  This will be your year for the 50+ fish.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:00 AM »
hey Esox,

being mostly unfamiliar with the mantra and values of dyed-in-the-wool Musky fisherpeople...this might be a dumb question:

Do you ever dead stick large chubs near the boat to try and entice those followers that somtime park under the boat after follows?  I didn't know if live bait is "cheating" the way trout fisherman mostly look at it.  Just seems logical this might be effective...

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Theres a few guy who soak suckers around here. Its a big thing in WI and Mn to do this but baits are expensive, like $4-$5 a sucker. Noone carrys big enough baits around here to do it unless you catch your own or used something else. And yes we have left small pike hooked and let them swim around but so far no takers. Most guys up north run 12"-over 20" suckers.

Yea this addiction takes money and a ton of patience. I spent the first 4 years chasing them befor I put a plan togeather. Still isn't easy getting them to bite. The money part though is expensive, baits are high priced ( overpriced really) but when thats what they want you buy it or go fishless. I have 4 combos and 1/2 of a 5th and those 5 will be insured for about $3500. Baits are already insured for up to $4K and I should up it to $5k. Add a couple hundred for the other stuff, nets, release tools spare parts ect it gets spendy. I don't have the sickness as bad as others I know several guys with bait collections that would rival Rollie and Hellens musky shop. These guys have 500-600 baits and no end in sight. I'm sure I'll fill up the 2nd Lakewood box this year having to fish different waters. It is a whole different level of fishing thats for sure. More like hunting than fishing since 9 times out of 10 you see the fish but it won't eat. It keeps you up at night, gives you nightmeres of fish you have seen or lost, driving you crazy trying to out think and outguess them, going days without a follow, then 1 day it all works out and everything clicks. And your happy again but still can't sleep  wondering what the next day will bring.

Offline pharmdfd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:17 PM »
I had some of my best fishing last year fishing for muskies on a 3000 acre lake throwing topraiders.  My buddy's girlfriend fishing for the first time caught a 52" and my best on that lake was 48".  The bite was on for over a week straight with our best day being around 8-10 muskies between my buddy and me.  Nothing more exciting than fishing for muskies with top water lures!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:42 PM »
We don't have a topwater bite here but a couple lakes on my list to fish this season does. Good thing I got a 2nd box LOL. Of course my tourney partner from last year was the buzz of a local tourney here by catching one on a topraider, must be the Minnesotan in him LOL.

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2009, 09:33 PM »
That sounds good!!! do you ever fish Spirit for muskies? do you catch any?
I know cardwell caught his 50-50 there!!! My friends dad caught a 38" pike there trolling a few years back!!!
In front of the old Harlan Beach area...No muskies though..

Keep in touch

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2009, 09:50 PM »
Numbers are down on Spirit but yes we still fish it a little. Alot of adult fish went over the spillway in 05-06. Theres still some good ones in there, i have seen them this year during ice season.  Right now Weat and East are the places to be. There hasnt been only 2-3 fish caught in our local tourneys on Spirit in the last 2 years. I don't think anyone even fished it during the fall tourney in 08.

A few pics of some Spirit fish. My wife and I with "our" first a 37" tiger. One of my partners and his first legal a fat Sept 42". A friend of mine with a 52" caught trolling for eyes.

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2009, 10:27 PM »
Wow!!! those are some sweet pics thats kevins state record huh!!! i didnt know that he caught that fishing for eyes, my buddy grew up there fishing a lot!!! ive seen muskies in the spillway that runs into east by the hatchery at the mouth there.The only thing that i ever see in the spillway by the old restaurant is carp though!!!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2009, 05:20 PM »
That 52" only went 41 pounds, caught in late May/Early June of 06 I think

Offline HANDLINE2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2009, 12:22 PM »
Esox, I fished Lake of the Woods from one end to the other for a few years in the late 80's and I had that attitude you described that all other fishing was a waste of time after muskies get in your blood. My partner kind of petered out and we quit going. But those trips will always be high on my list of fun times. I have many lures and rods and nets and cradles I probably won't be using, do you think this stuff would be worth much? Did you ever fish with any Eagle Tail lures giagantic inline spinners made out of motor cycle spokes, that's what we caught muskies with. RH
It's mind over matter, if you don't have a mind it don't matter.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2009, 01:01 PM »
Eagle Tails are a great bait.  Everythings worth something to someone. I'm always on the lookout for stuff and so are most muskie guys. Got any old wood Bagley DB-O8's??  I still fish for other stuff, I like to eat fish to. Winter I fish everything, come ice out I'm after bass and walleyes. I'll take a weekend here and there during June to fish eyes and in the fall I'll chase them on occasion. If your interested in getting rid of your stuff shoot me an e mail. I'll be happy to steer you in the right direction. The only things from the past thats not going to bring much today are short rods and cradles. Most guys have gone to at least 7'6 most run 8' or longer, myself included. Reels though if you have older Swedish Abus they might fetch a fair price if they are in good condition.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.