Author Topic: Not so seceret ice fishing tips and tricks  (Read 14434 times)

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Not so seceret ice fishing tips and tricks
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:31 AM »
when I change the water in my 55 gallon fresh water tank I have to put a time release salt pellet in the tank it helps the fish believe it or not

That's what I mean. See that its good for the fish.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2014, 12:40 PM »
By rough calculation, one hwy salt truck per 5 acres of water 10' deep, would be dangerously close to a healthy amount.      :flex:

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2014, 07:11 AM »
Sharks? That's crazy
Catching Any?

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:12 PM »
I had high hopes for finding some new tips in this thread.  So far it has turned into the great salt debate. 

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:54 PM »
enough with the salt already.
1)potato slices & egg shells work well in the hole while spearing. nice light background to spot the fish.
2)led lights in the perm cuts back on power usage.
3)cut up your dead minnows & toss them down the hole.
4)fas snap tied to the end of your line for quick lure changes, or, carry 8 rods pre rigged. I use break down shotgun cases available at fleet farm for rod storage...4 per case.
5)in the deep snow if you drive your 4x4 on the lake point the truck in the direction you came from prior to setting up & go back & forth a bit to set up for take off at the end of the day.
6) pack 2 sources of flame for emergencies...matches/lighter.
7)changing up lure size/color often may get the tight lipped to bite.
8)7 gallon pails are more comfortable to sit on since they're much taller than a fiver.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:39 AM »
Check your regulations.

We are not allowed to use live bait.    :cookoo:

Anything that enters the water must be attached to the hook ~ No chumming.     :%$#!:

We can use 5 lines without regard to what they are attached to.       :thumbsup:

Each line can have 5 hooks ~ a treble is one hook.     ( There is some sanity )

The best bait for perch is perch eyes or belly.     ;)2

Taking the lure/bait away from a looker may induce a strike.     ;)2

Sonar in graph mode will not make you dizzy, like flashing lights may often do.      ;)2

Long rods/poles should not be ignored for ice fishing.     ;)2

What do you call a fly without wings ?                       A walk.        :woot: :roflmao:

Always take a camera along, even if you hide/lock it in the vehicle ~ Proof and memories are all the reasons needed.     :o

A lightweight folding chair with a shoulder strap prevents "Bucket-butt"     ;)2

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:23 AM »
A little salt in a hole is nothing to what some cities put in the water in a couple towns in west Michigan.

One city pushes all the down town salt filled snow over the bank and into the lake.

Another one used to haul theirs down to the Pere Marquette river and dump it on the boat ramp and push it into the river. I have not been there in the winter lately so I do not know if that still happens.

Offline Lj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:32 PM »
that's what I was hoping for when I started this thread was to get some good tips going on here but I started the great salt debate  :-\ but I'm hoping to get beyond the salt fight and get some good tricks and tips going on here as I am always looking learn some new tricks makes it fun to try something new so I'm sayin if somebody doesn't like one of the tips offer a tip that's in your liking we don't have to use the ones we don't like right so on that note good home made power bait bread dough flour egg water grind up some shrimp or chicken liver works the best and some garlic I use the juice out of the preminced bottled stuff mix all up and put in the fridge next morning you got something better than power bait and you can freeze the extra for later use ;D

Offline windlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2014, 11:46 AM »
Lj, I have a great tip.

Use some punctuation...makes the tip a LOT easier to read.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Lj, I have a great tip.

Use some punctuation...makes the tip a LOT easier to read.

I second that Windlaker !         ;)2

Offline tuiflies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:31 PM »
A slip bobber threaded in between the first and second eyelets is a great strike indicator.  The weight of it creates a small bow in the line and as the line gets pulled tight, you can see the bobber getting lifted up.  When you wind in it sits nicely in the first eyelet and lets the line pass easily through.

Lake trout often roam in pairs.  If you hook one, get your successful lure back down ASAP!

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:13 PM »
that's what I was hoping for when I started this thread was to get some good tips going on here but I started the great salt debate  :-\ but I'm hoping to get beyond the salt fight and get some good tricks and tips going on here as I am always looking learn some new tricks makes it fun to try something new so I'm sayin if somebody doesn't like one of the tips offer a tip that's in your liking we don't have to use the ones we don't like right so on that note good home made power bait bread dough flour egg water grind up some shrimp or chicken liver works the best and some garlic I use the juice out of the preminced bottled stuff mix all up and put in the fridge next morning you got something better than power bait and you can freeze the extra for later use ;D
What,,,, NO SALT???   ;D

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:41 PM »
A slip bobber threaded in between the first and second eyelets is a great strike indicator.  The weight of it creates a small bow in the line and as the line gets pulled tight, you can see the bobber getting lifted up.  When you wind in it sits nicely in the first eyelet and lets the line pass easily through.

Hmm.. now there is an idea for something new! Never heard that before

Go Beavers!

Offline Mchales Navy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2014, 09:29 PM »
 Some people use a button instead of the bobber. Its the same principle. Both work!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Hmm.. now there is an idea for something new! Never heard that before

i use a regular bobber, just only use the top part.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Lj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 26, 2014, 07:44 PM »
What,,,, NO SALT???   ;D
No not any salt in that recipe S A LoL ;)

Offline Squeeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Salt is pollution? I'd hate to see what all us fishermen do to the lakes with trucks leaking oil, spilling gas while filling augers, people pissin on the ice, etc.....a little natural sodium chloride is the LAST thing I'm worried bout!

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Nicely said squeeb

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:18 AM »
What about the guys that eat pretzels before baiting their hook? Hopefully that doesn't polute the water too much. Hahaha. ;D
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline Squeeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:23 AM »
 :roflmao:

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:25 PM »
I think I have a few tips for you.

You can jig through a hole cover to keep the hole from freezing. Just cut the slit a little so you can take it off easy when you hook a fish.

When you run out of bait while jigging, you can use anything on a hook. I've used anything from a piece of foam bobber to a big bead.

Its not your line, but your leader that matters. ;)

Put a bit of electrical tape on your reel to spool braid without mono backing.

If your 4x4 is stuck, especially if only 2 or 3 tires are spinning, hold the brakes a little at the same time as throttle to kind of "lock" your differential.

Any open water lure that sinks can become an ice jig.

A ronson jetlite is a $3 torch lighter from wallymart. You can point the flame in any direction.

Dry=warm.

Drink lots of water to stay warm.

-Tom

Offline Allfishinnocatchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 01, 2014, 01:10 PM »
 "  We can use 5 lines without regard to what they are attached to. ". In South Dakota, our rule book specifies you can only have a hook on one end of the line. Points to whoever got caught fishing both ends and caused that rule.

Offline Allfishinnocatchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 01, 2014, 01:38 PM »
For icing holes, my second best remedy is a $.98 bucket lid with a 3/4" slot cut in it. Works under 3 stick tip ups and you can jig or dead stick with it and they don't take up any room in your sled.
The best remedy of course is a really nice day.

To minimize slush clean out, after I drill my hole I kick the collar away and then put the auger back down the hole and let it rip.

To get the full benefit from bringing a lawn chair, I bring one for my dog also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.