New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing on canadarago lake  (Read 82785 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: fishing on canadarago lake
« Reply #480 on: Feb 27, 2012, 03:17 PM »
  What if one of us caught a bass on a TU that was obviousl going to die - bleeding, gut hooked, the works.  We're supposed to just leave it to die under the ice??? BS

no, that is how laws work.   What would keep someone from catching a huge out-of-season walleye, ripping their gills and saying, oh jeese, they were bleeding anyway.    Look, just be glad DEC was out there, PERIOD.   I wish they were there every single day, Otsego too.   They've busted my stones more than a few times for trivial stuff, but I'm glad to see them.   Every time I'm out fishing, I assume I am going to be checked by DEC.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #481 on: Feb 27, 2012, 03:40 PM »
BigRed, you're completely right in the big picture, we're way better off with them out there.  and I agree, if they were they every day there would be a lot less fishing pressure and exceeded limits.  I just encourage ECOs to know their fishermen and know who need their balls busted and who does the right thing, regardless of the letter of the law.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #482 on: Feb 27, 2012, 03:44 PM »
I just encourage ECOs to know their fishermen and know who need their balls busted and who does the right thing, regardless of the letter of the law.

exactly.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #483 on: Feb 27, 2012, 05:28 PM »
slow day on Cando today. A lot of dinks. 10" of good ice still

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #484 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:11 PM »
kc wish i could have made it out there with u today we would have done some poking around to find them again, but got that project done today for my mom so its on now. knew u were in 12ft were did u go after that i think if u worked out instead of in u would have found them, oh well well get them next time

Offline troyallen2323

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #485 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:32 PM »
 I think we need to have encon officers out there because there are violators out there but I am not one and I don't think I should not have to worry about getting the third degree from an eco everytime I go fishing . Last year I was ice fishing on cando and encon came to the shack . We did absolutely nothing wrong but he gave us a big attitude because I was from johnstown and my friend was from wells then he proceeded to search through our shack for illegal fish . Up into seargents pond for ice out last year ecos were hiding in the woods evesdropping on us trying to catch us talking about something illegal  and they arrested a guy from another camp for talking about deer jacking . It never used to be like that and I feel it is getting to be borderline harrasment . I actually went to college to be an encon officer but once I got to see how sneeky and dishonest alot of them can be and how it was not uncommon for ecos to have people threaten them I decided on another carrer . So far every time I have been out this year I have been stopped and it is just getting old. >:(

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #486 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:35 PM »
Is this a thread on fishing Canadarago lake or a bash the encon officers for doing their job.   Enough people. Lets get back to ice fishing while we still can!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #487 on: Feb 27, 2012, 07:07 PM »
Fished hyder this am. picked up my t/u's and moved when two guys come out and set up between a buddy and I >:( not a big deal its not my lake but he and I were only 40 yds apart! This year is the most I have ever been setup on I dont get it. What happened to a little courtesy.
So I moved south 1/2 mileish (30+ fow) and caught a few had to move around some but end up with 14 good ones, after 1pm it picked up and if the showed on the vex. they bit. On my way back had to go all the way down to the island cuz the crack heaved back up where I crossed it this am, poked around it with my boot no place to cross it to the west till 3/4 the way back east. Then pull into BL and who was there :callcops: no trouble cuz he remembered me from yesterday.
System;Did ask him if he was gonna do anything bout the fish bein left on the ice on the south end, said he wrote some for that B4 down there. Maybe he will keep a closer eye on it

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #488 on: Feb 27, 2012, 07:19 PM »
PerchTrapper - I've been set up on a lot this year too.  I think its due to added pressure because of lack of ice on other lakes.  It sucks.  That pressure ridge in the middle is wicked ain't it!  Saw a guy jump it on a sled at about 30, went right into the air, Cool but dumb!  Also glad to see my problems are on ECO's mind, he's been called with the offender's name which was written down from his tip ups.  ADKRoy is right, we all have our pros and cons of ECOs but this isn't the place for the discussion, and I'm more guilty than the rest of ya in that.  I think it was discussed here because there's all the sudden a much higher ECO presence at Cando, again, due to lack of ice elsewhere.  We'll let it go....

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #489 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Hey Perchpopper, I know you're a geezer like myself and have spent a lifetime on the lake.  If anyone knows where to catch jumbos , it's you.  So, bro, where's the big ones biten'?   

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #490 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:07 PM »
I got a phone call from the guy you were with when you took the name down, at least its on his mind now maybe

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #491 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Ah, good to know you're a friend of a friend.  Hope to meet you on the lake sometime, or at the PI afterwards

Offline Esoxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Certified Bait is ridiclus
« Reply #492 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:05 PM »
 system how is the ice.Can u still get on?Fished Cossuyuna sun, very bad ice conditions barly got off the ice unsafe. heading to Durant finish out season been very bad considering ice time hope to catch u  on the lake.remember Esox rule everthing else is just bait.Check out shanty pro shop dude,
Ice Fish only, stricly targeting Esox lucius and Masquinongy, everything else is just bait.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #493 on: Feb 28, 2012, 05:46 AM »
I haven't been on the ice since saturday, but previous posts by kowboy and others indicate 8-10" of good ice still.  Its been real cold s I'd say even shorelines are nice and hard still.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #494 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:29 PM »

thats  one huge crack    up there @ the lake    first one ive seen in years  there

oh yes   @ the lake    think DEC   is there or will be there   so  do it up rite  & you  dont have to
worry   K
    Tite lines

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Oh   No  I gottta get  fishin    fish on
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #495 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:04 PM »
Perchtrapper - been fishin the lake lately?  Haven't heard much from Ward lately.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #496 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Went elsewhere after some crappie & gills yesterday, and didnt make it out today thanks a cold I been fightn for 3 days it got the best of me today, gonna hit it 2mrow, Wardy was out this am said it was slow. Did he send you a pic of the smallie he got yesterday?, nice fish think he said 18" 

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #497 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:36 PM »
I wish ward would get back to work so some fish could be left for the rest of us!

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #498 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:40 PM »
hahahahaha! guess that goes for me to work all summer fish all winter

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #499 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:44 PM »
I wish ward would get back to work so some fish could be left for the rest of us!

Any other year Wardy would be on MY lake hittin' the lakers! I'm glad he is on your lake this year having some fun!
There is going to be some hot trout action over here in a couple weeks. While you guys been feeding all those dink perch, my lake has lakers just waiting to put on the feedbag! Going to register the boat trailer Friday!

BIGJim223

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #500 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:48 PM »
That's what I like to hear!  I've been feeling sick lately, I'll be due for a sick day right around that time.....

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #501 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:29 AM »
Anybody been out lately? Wondering how much snow Cando got the past few days?? Good seeing you again there Pot-Belly-Perch  ;) ;D

Offline Rob Hyer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • In search of Brook Trout
« Reply #502 on: Mar 01, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Did anyone go out today? Im thinkin about goin tomorrow night if the ice is in good shape.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #503 on: Mar 01, 2012, 03:46 PM »
Didn't make it out today, but the area got 6-8" of heavy wet snow.  I will be out to check it out tomorrow after work. 

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #504 on: Mar 01, 2012, 05:15 PM »
i would like to try it 2maro morning so if anyone went out today i would appreciate some info on the conditions

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #505 on: Mar 01, 2012, 05:21 PM »
I can't imagine this little bit of weather would hurt the ice any, there's 8"+ out there.  It may be slushy and tough pulling a sled, but I wouldn't cancel any plans over it

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #506 on: Mar 01, 2012, 05:26 PM »
5 to 6" heavy wet snow  slush layer not real bad, ice holdin... bring a machine, this stuff will wear you out not used to pullin a sled in the snow been spoilied this year

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #507 on: Mar 01, 2012, 05:27 PM »
thanks for the input. havnt been up in couple weeks. so was just lookin for some first hand input on the conditions. i guess its a go

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #508 on: Mar 01, 2012, 05:33 PM »
oh shes in good shape ;) boat launch ramp rough, bakers better to get on with a machine since they plowed the BL today pushed banks up where the atvs where comin up, goodluck

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #509 on: Mar 02, 2012, 08:21 PM »
Hi Ice cutter   nice to meet you  again too

yes  the lake is rough walking  with the snow we got on the lake  its about  6 or 7 inchs of snow  but still got good ice  on my lake

I was out there today  & got more dinks   & more dinks  came up  & also got more  tip-up bait perch

but it was fun    just  to be out there
 everybody be safe 
  & keep =up on top of the lake   & watch that open Krack  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
oh no I gotta get fishin
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.