New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing on canadarago lake  (Read 82847 times)

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fishing on canadarago lake
« Reply #450 on: Feb 26, 2012, 02:09 PM »
The ice is fine off Bakers Beach. Four wheelers all over the place. 9"-10" at the least. Fish SE of shoal. 8'-30' of water. Three flags and 1 8" perch. Had some bites while jigging. Saw a school of dinks down the hole in 4' of water. Tried getting the ones on the bottom but NADA. They would look and go. Used 12 different combos with same results. First time there since 2010. Not complaining as I did chase some flags and mark fish. Some guy was cruising the lake in an ice boat. He even stopped and "pushed" it through my T/U area. You can't teach that kind of respect. The DEC was there checking as you have been told. If you are legal then don't worry about it. Had a nice chat with him and off he went. I don't know why people are afraid of them if you're not breaking the law. These are the same people you want cracking down on poachers AND FISHING INFRACTIONS.. Good luck to all...................
      Kim :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #451 on: Feb 26, 2012, 02:58 PM »
The problem I have with DEC, as many fishermen know, is that, the real poachers and criminals are so sneaky they never get caught.  As a local, I know of a LOT of legally and morally wrong stuff that goes on at Cando.  I deal with it personally as often as I can.   Just friday I had a problem with a guy fishing next to me who kept leaving 4-6" perch on the ice for seagulls.  He left and went home and never picked them up.  About halfway thru the day me and a buddy caught on to this and began putting his fish back down the hole and said something to him.  He got no ticket though.  But, let a good fisherman who didn't have the labels on his TU or happen to have a license in his pocket pay a $100 fine??  Same thing goes for driving - how many unsafe drivers or drivers with cell phones get away unnoticed?  It always seems to me the WRONG people get the tickets.

Offline perchpopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #452 on: Feb 26, 2012, 03:36 PM »
Kudos to you System for saving a few fish , it's a shame some people have to be that way . Recently i've seen water bottles ,  bait containers etc on the ice which i pick up . Lets keep our lake clean . Tight lines . Nice catch on the bass.

Morning sun rising, a hot cup of coffee and flags a flyin , priceless!!

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #453 on: Feb 26, 2012, 03:50 PM »
Thanks bro.  I appreciate the help of LEOs but its up to US to preserve our fishing for the next gen, thru c&r, "policing" the lake, and clean up

Offline apope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #454 on: Feb 26, 2012, 05:27 PM »
How early do the bait shops open around condo on monday morning. going to make the trip in the morning no sense getting there before can get bait. thanks

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #455 on: Feb 26, 2012, 05:44 PM »
At "Tom & Kelly's" in Springfield Ctr, they are open by 7am (sometimes around 6:30). Spikes, waxies, med shiners. and small fatheads available. Don't know the hours of the bait places in Richfield/Schyler Lake. "TheSystem" should know.

BIGJim223

Offline apope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #456 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:20 PM »
thanks  i am comming up 51 from morris will have to take a chance on place in scyler lake

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #457 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:28 PM »
brads in schyler lake is open earlier than most, sometimes as early as 5 am.  His phone # is 315 858 1878.  Call the night ahead and he will accommodate you.   He has hundreds of medium shiners.   Joes 4 seasons is out of bait for a while, due to illness.

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #458 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:37 PM »
Finally me and the gf had agreat day on cando, we started off in 24ft of water that i had marked off bakers and we were getting dinks so moved 50yds or so in 28ft of water and started hitting big perch. they were coming off the bottom like missels and bang theyd hit, then afew dinks and then it would start again, so for 3hrs it was on. She had alot of fun as i couldnt get my pole in while she was pulling up me taking off the fish and then rebaiting her hook lol. was using a perch football jig tipped with spikes, and i was using the ones that were dead and had turned dark color, not saying thats why the big ones were biting but i kept putting them on her hook. i was the only one out that far as everyone was in shallow. DEC stopped seen my screen was lit up said hi checked us and said alet u get back to having fun.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #459 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Nice Kowboy!  Glad to see you and the lady had a good day.  Did you happen to leave any for me???

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #460 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:46 PM »
system we only kept 16, we figured it was enough for afish fry

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #461 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:46 PM »
I'm glad the DEC is out checking people. They are doing their job and I know they are catching people doing illegal stuff. I really don't mind when they do stop and check as most are really nice and will stop to B.S. with you.  You can learn about some good places to fish from them.  If you do see someone doing something illegal then call 1-800-tipp-dec or 911 and get the sheriff's dept involved. We have to help them as their numbers have been reduced of the past few years.  On a final note, we should all be glad DEC is out there doing their job...if the governor has his way, there might not be any   DEC officers to enforce the law.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #462 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:51 PM »
I didn't know there were 16 big perch left in our lake, after so many fishermen cleaning them out this winter!  Good job bud, eat em up good, you...or should I say the lady, earned it!

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #463 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:52 PM »
kowboy how was the ice today? may be coming over this week.
kc
kc let me know when as im definetly hitting the river might even go tomarrow

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #464 on: Feb 26, 2012, 07:23 PM »
      kowboyup,
I think I saw you 2 earlier in the day. Glad you both did well. I just couldn't get those bottom fish to strike. Was fishing as deep as you 2 were. The System, Sorry to hear about  the $100 ticket for no lable. With the slow year and late ice you would hope people would have the time to lable their t/u's..... The law has been in place forever and there have been previous posts about the DEC on the lake. As for the small perch on the ice. Take a picture and send it to the DEC. May not get imediate results but at least you tried. Sooner or later they will get caught with help from all......
      Kim :tipup: :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline apope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #465 on: Feb 26, 2012, 07:25 PM »
thanks system

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #466 on: Feb 26, 2012, 07:55 PM »
will be over in the morning kowboy. Don't let that stop you from going to the river.
kc

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #467 on: Feb 26, 2012, 07:57 PM »
System, have used a few perch in the past for bait had a couple swimin around one nite hopin to hook a waldo, but then i think about all the ones i find in pick. bellies and figure they get enough of em, and I get enough pick. without puttin a perch on to make em bite. Like the fight like the meat but tear up my leaders I dont see the trade off.   

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #468 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:46 PM »
kowboy u say the funiest things---->as i couldnt get my pole in while she was pulling up me taking off the fish and then rebaiting her hook lol. HaHaHaHA! do you do that for whoever that you go fishing with? cause i need a new partner if you do! this way i dont have to take my gloves off to rebait, i got you to do it for me! thats real nice to know, ill be calling you more often, now that the truth came out! franky all done, ill have to call him and tell him now! LOL :)

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #469 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:29 PM »
  But, let a good fisherman who didn't have the labels on his TU or happen to have a license in his pocket pay a $100 fine??   It always seems to me the WRONG people get the tickets.
couldnt agree more with you system. got a ticket for not having my name one 1 new tip up last year on fourth lake. also got one today on piseco for keeping 2 under sized lakers. now before everyone gets mad, i let many go all day and the 2 that i decided to keep were gut hooked with trebles(last time i use those) they were a bloody mess. tried release but they just floated back up. Seems shameful to let a fish go to waste.

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #470 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:31 PM »
articicejigger talked to frank earlier on the phone he was all excited wanted to go to the river this week i told him to let me know and id go with him, as far as doing that for others sorry ur the wrong jender lmao give me acall before u go in ttul

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #471 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:15 PM »
Mbrown it happens! but thats the good ol state for ya! they dont think like that! not worth the extra money , send em back down next time ! and dont sweat it!

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #472 on: Feb 27, 2012, 01:44 AM »
Mbrown, I'm w/ you on the wasting bit, I hate it when that happens. I'm curious about how much those 2 shorties are going to cost, did the eco tell you what the fine is for keeping an undersized Laker?

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #473 on: Feb 27, 2012, 05:34 AM »
I didn't actually get a ticket for tip ups or anything, I'm just making the point that the wrong tickets get issued.  M4, that really sucks.  The Dec would rather you let those fish die at the bottom of the hole?   You did the responsible thing, and were punished for it, thats exactly what I'm talking about.  What if one of us caught a bass on a TU that was obviousl going to die - bleeding, gut hooked, the works.  We're supposed to just leave it to die under the ice??? BS

I believe its up to fishermen to do the right thing, and to make sure others do the right thing, not the legislature's job to decide whats right on the water.

Offline Esoxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Certified Bait is ridiclus
« Reply #474 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:48 AM »
System I've heard the DEC officer there is a problem must completely follow the rules, over zealous type.Catch and Release how much perch can one eat plus cleaning them.Can't eat that much fish anymore by u no one practices release methods make a huge difference.I'd like to see more catch and release @ Cando .
Ice Fish only, stricly targeting Esox lucius and Masquinongy, everything else is just bait.

tightwad

« Reply #475 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:59 AM »
System I've heard the DEC officer there is a problem must completely follow the rules, over zealous type.Catch and Release how much perch can one eat plus cleaning them.Can't eat that much fish anymore by u no one practices release methods make a huge difference.I'd like to see more catch and release @ Cando .
I agree Esox :thumbsup:

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #476 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Mbrown, I'm w/ you on the wasting bit, I hate it when that happens. I'm curious about how much those 2 shorties are going to cost, did the eco tell you what the fine is for keeping an undersized Laker?

well the officer said anywhere up to 250 dollars each. best part is i only got one of them! the other was caught by my buddies friend who is 15 and i ended up with responsibility for the whole group cuz im oldest at 20.
  M4, that really sucks.  The Dec would rather you let those fish die at the bottom of the hole?   You did the responsible thing, and were punished for it, thats exactly what I'm talking about.  What if one of us caught a bass on a TU that was obviousl going to die - bleeding, gut hooked, the works.  We're supposed to just leave it to die under the ice??? BS

yep put em back he said. said the hooks will rust out. now i know that these plated hooks dont rust out in reasonable enough time to keep the fish alive.i mean ive caught bass with snells coming out of their butt so i guess cheapos dont either very well. and how is the fish supposed to eat with the hook in its throat.i even showed him the hook in one of them that broke off. He also said other fish will eat them.

Offline Rob Hyer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • In search of Brook Trout
« Reply #477 on: Feb 27, 2012, 11:24 AM »
In many cases the person should be able to keep an undersized fish if its going to die, but think about all the people who would intentionally injure fish just so they could use that as an excuse.

Offline perchfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #478 on: Feb 27, 2012, 01:40 PM »
I observed a DEC officer watch a fisherman catch an undersized trout that was bleeding badly. The DEC officer told the man to keep the fish and he
wrote him a permit to do so. Notice, however, that the DEC officer saw the man catch the fish. Otherwise, someone could keep an undersized fish
and claim it was too badly injured to survive. It's too bad, but that's the way it is. P.S. Don't fish for trout with treble hooks.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #479 on: Feb 27, 2012, 01:57 PM »
Good point about intentionally injuring fish.  Sucks there are guys like that out there.  Didn't get to fish today, anybody go out on Cando?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.