Author Topic: propane power auger  (Read 4992 times)

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re: propane power auger
« Reply #30 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:41 AM »
I have the Jiffy Pro4 8" auger. Have been a happy owners for 3 years now. This thing is bullet proof. Starts first time every time. I would recomend buying the jiffy. Just for your info, the Jiffy pro 4 lite is 33cc and the Jiffy pro4 is 44cc. I went with more horsepower. the choice is up to you. Another plus is you don't have to let it warm up like a gas auger. Pull to start and drill right away.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Dean Nelson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:35 AM »
Both the Jiffy and Eskimo propane augers can be laid down in any position for a short time, but long term they recommend storing them spark plug up.  They don't really say in their owners manuals what long term storage is.  So just to be safe, I always lay them down in their desired position or stand them up.

I had the Jiffy Pro 4 Lite for one year and just got the Eskimo this year. I sold my Jiffy on Craig's list. My primary reason for switching is I wanted a 10" auger and I didn't want to go back to another Jiffy.  Although the chipper blade on the Jiffy's work great, they really throw the water and slush around. Jiffy also stopped selling parts online and Eskimo sells other size augers, if I should want another 8" in the future.  But I have a Nils 8" hand augers, so I doubt I'll want one for my propane auger.

Some people are suggesting an ION.  I thought about them too last year, but my big concern was the battery.  Not only the price for replacement batteries, but can these lithium butteries be stored for 10 months out of the year without ever needing a partial drain and recharge?  I don't want to be thinking about my auger in the middle of summer.  With a propane auger you store it and forget it.  Also, what happens if ION comes up with a brilliant plan to redo the auger several years down the road, or the company goes under?  Now you have to try and search for compatible batteries for your old model or batteries that are no longer being produced.  How many of us have bought off brand power drills and can no longer find batteries for them? That's why my last drill was Dewalt.

My folks were in my storage unit last spring and moved my Eskimo and set it down arrow side down. It sat that way for a few months and when I picked it up it fired up on the third pull. Slight bit of blue smoke that you could barely see for a second then back to normal.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 24, 2016, 05:07 AM »
I've owned the Jiffy Pro4 and now the Pro4 lite. No issues at all.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 24, 2016, 06:00 PM »
Jiffy Pro 4 generation 2.  5 years old no issues,leaked oil once because a friend used it and layed it down wrong. Only issue it's heavy. I bought a big jet sled just for my ICE EATER. The things a beast, one or two pulls. I  punch some holes 20 -30 or more a day. Last year with 14 "plus ice got at least 200 plus holes per bottle. I fished 3 or 4 days a week x12 weeks. I believe I use 4 bottles of propane.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 24, 2016, 08:21 PM »
4th season with pro 4-10", 2nd gen. Hose has starting leaking fuel next to tank/connector. Albeit very little it does hinder the power band. I have recently seen the newer 3rd gen and it does look like an improvement over the 2nd. They start easy but so does my old model 30 that I purchased a new gas cap for and those old 30's with a pro-4 STX blade rip through the ice like no other.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 25, 2016, 06:04 AM »
Bought my son an Eskimo HC40 for Christmas.  I was so impressed with it I went out and bought myself one as well.  I've only had a chance to use mine once but he loves his.

The biggest thing for me is that with my old auger, I always seemed to get a little gas on my hands while drilling from the vent on the gas cap while carrying it from hole to hole.  Always hated that and worried that even after changing gloves I still might get some gas smell on my bait.  One less thing to worry about now.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 12, 2016, 08:20 AM »
I picked up the Jiffy pro 4 lite 8". Awesome 2 pull start when cold and 1 the rest of the day. Quiet and smooth but when you hit the throttle instant power. Drills great. BTW the lite is 38cc 4 stroke and for anyone thinking its to small and not enough power think again .Besides Strikemaster used a 35cc robin for years. For long term storage they recommend drilling position upright.
Fishin red lines

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #37 on: Mar 12, 2016, 03:37 PM »
Strikemaster 4 strokes now use a 35cc Honda engine and can be operated or stored in any position. It starts on the second pull when cold, doesn't leak oil and doesn't leak or smell of gas.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Mar 13, 2016, 08:55 AM »
im  in the propane auger club also.i had major engine problems with the first demo jiffy pro4 lite but jiffy made it right and now own 2 jiffy pro4 lites.starts up in 1 or 2 pulls.pretty light but its still no drill with adapter but when the ice gets thicker I will be blowing holes  with the 5 inch auger bit I have for one of them.no more gummy carbs/flooding or gas to mix or leak. 

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 14, 2016, 04:55 PM »
Glad they made it right. It really is a good unit. That 5"will scream!
Fishin red lines

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Mar 14, 2016, 06:10 PM »
I picked up an Eskimo HC40 a few weeks back. I'm surprised at how well it starts runs & cuts. No more gas for me. ;D

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #41 on: Mar 15, 2016, 07:45 PM »
Just finished my 3ed season with my pro4 jiffy. Every year I unscrew the tank and put it in the shed out back.  This year I had to pull it 4 times to get it running! After that it was 2 at the most. It is a little heavy but watching a guy next to you pull his red auger till he was out of breath makes it a lot lighter. ( yea I had to show off and punched some holes for him and his son in seconds flat)  I love mine!

Offline bterry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2016, 12:34 PM »
We use an electric Auger. It always starts right up and it's super quiet.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2016, 04:26 PM »
Picked up an HC40 at 20% off yesterday. Never got out this year due to a Dec stroke, so some new gear to start off next year.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 19, 2016, 12:33 PM »
Anyone suggesting an ION has never owned a Milwaukee Fuel series . My setup.weighs less than 10 lbs and it rocks. Obviously eletric arentry made for three foot plus ice conditions propane but Imo for eletric there's no comparison Milwaukee and other brushless drills just make more sense plus can be used in the off season for honey do projects. As far as propane I owned the jiffy pro lite.half a season until I found the fuel series then i.sold the jiffy but around here 2 feet of ice is a very cold season is usually 12 to.16 inches the norm . If your on 3 foot plus propane and mathe the new lithium gator but the gator limits holes to the charge propane bottles perfect and fume free.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.