New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: sandy pond  (Read 59662 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: sandy pond
« Reply #540 on: Feb 08, 2020, 04:19 AM »
well old boy I think it's time for poppys school of  snowman  making snow fort building  slideing down a hill and  snow ball target practice at  old men  ;D  you have   fun old  boy everything you ever worked  for is in that little  boys  smile   have a great  visit  :thumbsup:

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #541 on: Feb 08, 2020, 06:16 AM »
well old boy I think it's time for poppys school of  snowman  making snow fort building  slideing down a hill and  snow ball target practice at  old men  ;D  you have   fun old  boy everything you ever worked  for is in that little  boys  smile   have a great  visit  :thumbsup:
  Well Put Trapper

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #542 on: Feb 08, 2020, 06:18 AM »
A day to be remembered by everyone for a lifetime. I bet he slept good last night....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #543 on: Feb 08, 2020, 07:08 AM »
As I have told you repeatedly, your stories are priceless. Not sure where you came from but Im glad were friends.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline obrien380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #544 on: Feb 08, 2020, 09:47 AM »
Apologies in advance, I like my music when I'm out here fishing 😆
Was pleasantly surprised to find no slush in my travels from wigwam to blind creek, between 6 and 10" of black ice. Few cracks that are covered with frozen slush.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #545 on: Feb 10, 2020, 01:27 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Put them on a plane back to New Orleans. hopefully, with a few good memories of Poppy. Miss them already.
Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #546 on: Feb 10, 2020, 05:34 AM »
well boog  hope  you had a great time   my friend ....any pictures of this fishing trio ????

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #547 on: Feb 10, 2020, 07:43 AM »
You Betcha Trap.

Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #548 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:41 AM »
Doesn't look too good on the pond. Raining and not sure how much slush it in the top. Stopped at blind cove no one out.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #549 on: Feb 10, 2020, 01:52 PM »
awe  that's  awesome  boggey  ^5  glad you had a  great time

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #550 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:43 AM »
Doesn't look too good on the pond. Raining and not sure how much slush it in the top. Stopped at blind cove no one out.
Yeh, your right Woodburn, but look what we got coming on Thursday
 Might tighten up a little
 You think?  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Boggey

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #551 on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:45 PM »
Leaving for South Carolina till next tuesday. My buddy from the pond just built a new garage/man cave. Going down to check it out. Good luck.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #552 on: Feb 12, 2020, 05:31 AM »
Yo Woodburn,
Your friend sounds like someone else I know. Kindred spirit I'd say. Will check the ice today.

Boggey

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #553 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:11 PM »
Thinking of making a trip sunday....haven't been there in a few years. How's the fishing? Better question how's the ice?!?
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #554 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:45 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
As I posted in an earlier post I Accessed the Pond at the Wig-Wam ramp, ostensibly to write an ice condition report for all the Derby contestants this weekend. The Sandy Pond Sportsman's Derby is this weekend as well as Eddies Cove restaurant's Derby.
    You noticed I said ostensibly. Just in case, I brought the wicker backpack and a couple of jigging poles. Just in case mind you. Back to the report. The Wig-Wam ramp was snow & ice covered. The ice exhibited moderate slush with a light crusty ice over the top which gave way each step making it a difficult walk out. I found a well trodden snow mobile trail which made it less difficult. A glance to the left and right, I saw a lone shanty in front of Eddies Cove.. I cut several holes on my way out to the rock pile.. Each hole had 5 to 6 inches of hard ice with 3 to 4 inches of slush over the top of that. Now I'm not going tell you exactly where I cut my last hole, but it was a good one. I married that hole for two hours and sorted through a hundred or so perch to keep 20 nice perch. Sadly, I lost my new Kastmaster to as slime log or walleye. Not sure, never got to see it.
    Don't worry about that slush over the top of the ice. Thursday's sub zero temps will consolidate it onto the ice mat for the week end Derbies.
Good Luck to all. Be safe out there.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #555 on: Feb 14, 2020, 04:53 AM »
Cold one today
 If I get the sled running. I will hit the new honey hole ;D

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #556 on: Feb 14, 2020, 04:22 PM »
Well Boggey???

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #557 on: Feb 14, 2020, 04:52 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals.

I cut one hole over at Green point this morning. Did I mention it was 6 degrees below zero. That 3inches of slush ain't slush anymore. The ice thickness was 12 inche+ including that 3 inches of white ice from the slush freezing up.

I cut a hole out of Blind Creek ramp. also over 12 inches.

I cut a hole straight out from the ramp at Wig-Wam. The refroze slush wasn't quite as hard as the other 2 locations. It was mealy and granular. The hard ice under that was 8 inches and growing.

There were some real fishermen out there today. It was bitter cold with about a 9 mile wind that cut right through you.

Looks good for tomorrow. Good luck on the Sandy Pond Sportsmans Derby and. Eddies Cove Restaurant. Derby.

Boggey

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #558 on: Feb 15, 2020, 03:33 PM »
Will the wigwam be safe for non derby fisherman to park or will it be too crowded?
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline Sawmill man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #559 on: Feb 16, 2020, 08:10 AM »
Thought I saw some of you felas talking about snow dogs on this page before but cant seem to find it so I may be askin a repeat question but what is the law up there as far as registration on snow dogs what do u need to be legal

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #560 on: Feb 16, 2020, 09:17 AM »
There is also a winter festival going on during the tournament get there early is my guess

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #561 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:59 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Slow start yet a yesterday on the Pond. Light wind, sunshine and perseverance. Came home with 22 perch and one24 inch slime log. Yes Trap, I brought it home and cleaned it. Are you proud of me? A south Ponder named Steve caught (4) 14 onchers about 100 yards from me.

I waited till he left and carefully marked the spot. Don't tell me there aren't any big ones on the Pond this year. You just got to find their hiding spots. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Bambino0657

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #562 on: Feb 18, 2020, 06:33 AM »
A group of us fished Green Point yesterday and had a nice time. Lots of flags but it surprised me how many were pickerel. I haven’t fished there in a few years but we never caught pickerel like that before. Is this a new trend?

We did manage a few nice gills and perch and probably would have done better if we weren’t messing with kids and flags all day.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #563 on: Feb 18, 2020, 07:16 AM »
it is a new trend i take as many home as i can   tey will do the same as they did in oneida  and that is take over......remeber  pickerel don't count on your  northern limit as take  5 home!!!!   they grow great tomatos if you don't want to cooktrm

old guy i amproud of you and the more you keep the easier  filleting them becomes .and they taste great i don't know why people dislike northerns

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #564 on: Feb 18, 2020, 11:46 AM »
Yo Trap.

I hope it gets easier. It took me longer to clean the northern than the 22 perch. You are right however about the taste.  My bud, IceJohn came up 2 weeks ago and he cleaned a northern I caught that day. I broiled it last week and it was delicious. I think I like it as much as perch. It will definitely augment my bill of fare going forward.

Boggey

Offline orngcrush17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing better than fishing memories
« Reply #565 on: Feb 19, 2020, 03:11 PM »
Easy to filet if you don't want to mess with the Y bone. Top filet from just behind the dorsal down to the backbone and then filet each side from the rear dorsal to the tip of the tail. Quick and easy if you aren't against leaving a little meat and spending time on the Y.
Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish he can eat for a lifetime.... take your kid fishing and never stop smiling.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #566 on: Feb 19, 2020, 06:10 PM »
i'm going to set some tipups at the derby ,i'll give ya a lesson .....it's easy

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #567 on: Feb 19, 2020, 07:52 PM »
Yo Trap.

I hope it gets easier. It took me longer to clean the northern than the 22 perch. You are right however about the taste.  My bud, IceJohn came up 2 weeks ago and he cleaned a northern I caught that day. I broiled it last week and it was delicious. I think I like it as much as perch. It will definitely augment my bill of fare going forward.

Boggey

Hey Boggey...the northern I caught Monday was for supper tonight...also made low carb fish cakes with perch and low carb fried riced cauliflower w/onions and eggs to go with it. My son came over and he's trying to eat low carb as well...I cheat a little once in a while...but he's pretty good about it....Delicious!
Sounds like the perch are doing little better up there...looking forward to the tourney!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #568 on: Feb 20, 2020, 12:11 AM »
i'm going to set some tipups at the derby ,i'll give ya a lesson .....it's easy
Yo Trap
Does that mean you will do a demonstration for us less talented "Y" bone removers ? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #569 on: Feb 20, 2020, 05:09 AM »
Would like to learn that myself. Finally the trash talk is picking up 😴 . Bob and I are giving everybody a head start....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.