The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: MAN I CAN"T WAIT TO PIKe FISH AGAIN  (Read 8094 times)

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: MAN I CAN"T WAIT TO PIKe FISH AGAIN
« Reply #30 on: Sep 28, 2006, 10:03 AM »
It may be the first official debate, but certainly not the first (or last).
 ;D
there is nothing to debate.......my shack will be at Sabattus again.....and Pike will be caught my friends....some killed, most released......  :-*

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Sep 28, 2006, 10:40 AM »
Are you kidding me?  No self-respecting fly fisherman would ever fish for a pike....well, except me maybe, but then I fish with whatever tool fits the job, and for whatever fish that swims by. 

*gasp* an actual "fly guy", and a durn good looking one at that - with a respectable pike, caught through the ice even. also made a pretty fine chowder (a fly guy who fishes for pike through the ice and cooks? must be one o' them renaissance man types!)

here's one in a more classic "fly-guy" pose (with a nice 22"+ GLS salmon on the line)

and here's one with an average Lake Winnepesauke LLS ready for the grill, caught while TROLLING (pun intended?)

another with a nice striper taken this august on the fly

and another of a chunky largemouth taken on the fly last fall (note the camo kayak....it is a duck-slaying machine!)

why post all of these on an ice fishing board you ask? why not, i'm bored at lunch.....but also because i think these silly labels that some like to throw around "fly guy", "bait guy", "trout guy" are bogus.....and the battles some seem to want to create shouldn't, and most often don't, really exist ???.....there's truly on two types of people.....those who hunt or fish (hopefully both) and ones that don't.....i know which ones i generally like to hang out with.....

trapperdirk

« Reply #32 on: Sep 28, 2006, 01:44 PM »
Nice pics of your catches Yukon . Now you say there is only two types of people and so where does a trapper fit in . ???

TD

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Sep 28, 2006, 01:49 PM »
Nice pics of your catches Yukon . Now you say there is only two types of people and so where does a trapper fit in . ???

TD

trapping is hunting, no?

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 09, 2006, 03:55 PM »
Gonna be some tight quarters all trying to hit the open end of the pressure ridges with our fly-rods without the live bait
I usually use dead bait....brined of course in a special sauce :sick:

ps. sweet pics YUKON

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 11, 2006, 12:38 PM »
Bluefin...........if those spikes are still around west cod you should freeze some up.I bet they would make killer pike bait!! You wouldn't have to worry about the bait shop all year and they're free.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 11, 2006, 01:32 PM »
...and why not mackerel :tipup:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline OLBLUUU

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big
« Reply #37 on: Oct 11, 2006, 02:01 PM »
pike are not cannibals , i've tried it and they do not eat themselves . a nice fresh fillet piece of pike on bottom -you'd think they'd go nuts over it but they don't! searun smelts are the way to go!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #38 on: Oct 12, 2006, 05:12 AM »
Well this thread may have been started by my little troll buddy  :D , but truth of the matter is ...I really cant wait to fish for pike  again! Its been a while as ive been hitting the salt all summer but now that its cooling off and im thinking about ice, oh... I dunno , every ten seconds , I cant help but think about the wall mount that is waiting for me at sabbattus as I type!

this year 20#er or BUST!!

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Oct 12, 2006, 06:32 AM »
...and why not mackerel :tipup:
;D spikes are another name for short macks!!   ;D

BOOOOD:  damn good idea brotha......I am heading out on Saturday.....there have been tinker pollock as well....hmmmmmmm  you want any?

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Oct 12, 2006, 06:58 AM »
dumb question, but are there any restrictions on what can be legally used as dead bait?

i've done well with dead sea run smelt, FWIW

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 12, 2006, 03:33 PM »
Okay, I found a fly guy catching a pike, which promptly bit him when released.  No joke!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeyzbvHzOaU

the guy was releasing a smaller fish, and the pike grabbed the smaller fish taking his hand with it. He did not catch a pike
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #42 on: Oct 12, 2006, 04:07 PM »
Bob wants to fish Sabattus too!!! ;D ;D He has a new friend Don who fishes too!He wants to catch a twenty too!!! :P :P Dennis says he wants to go too!
These guys drive me crazy

JHM

Bob and Dennis and now Don too...   That should make for some interesting stories this winter..... :D
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Oct 12, 2006, 04:08 PM »
Bob wants to fish Sabattus too!!! ;D ;D He has a new friend Don who fishes too!He wants to catch a twenty too!!! :P :P Dennis says he wants to go too!
These guys drive me crazy
JHM
I think you need to double up on your prozac TOO!

tell BOB, DENNIS, and now DON to post something so we all know they exist....man you're a weird-O  ;D

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #44 on: Oct 12, 2006, 05:36 PM »
dumb question, but are there any restrictions on what can be legally used as dead bait?

i've done well with dead sea run smelt, FWIW

i have not been able to find anything in the lawbook on this yukon...any ideas?  ;D

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Oct 12, 2006, 05:39 PM »
i have not been able to find anything in the lawbook on this yukon...any ideas?  ;D

none whatsoever.....are there salt restrictions as to what can be used as bait??

i was just wondering if there were any restrictions.....there are legal freshwater bait options and others that can't be used......

my guess is if it is legal to use a species as bait in the salt, why would there be any restriction on using it dead in fresh.....but then again, i've been wrong before.....

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Oct 13, 2006, 04:08 PM »
Straight from the law book.

A. Live bait restrictions.  It is unlawful for any person to take, sell, use or possess, either dead or alive, for use as bait for fishing in inland waters, any pickerel, goldfish, yellow perch, white perch, bass, sunfish, crappie, hornpout, carp, alewife, or any spinyfinned fish.

Alewife would be the only saltwater bait restricted.I know from 1st hand experiance that mackeral DOES work.We took a guy pike fishing once and told him to use cut mackeral left over from striper fishing for bait as a joke..He did and he slayed them,he won't use anything but mackeral now.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 13, 2006, 04:35 PM »
Straight from the law book.

A. Live bait restrictions.  It is unlawful for any person to take, sell, use or possess, either dead or alive, for use as bait for fishing in inland waters, any pickerel, goldfish, yellow perch, white perch, bass, sunfish, crappie, hornpout, carp, alewife, or any spinyfinned fish.

Alewife would be the only saltwater bait restricted.I know from 1st hand experiance that mackeral DOES work.We took a guy pike fishing once and told him to use cut mackeral left over from striper fishing for bait as a joke..He did and he slayed them,he won't use anything but mackeral now.
i am heading out in the AM to check my traps and LOAD UP WITH TINKS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #48 on: Oct 13, 2006, 05:01 PM »
I've used mackeral too.  Sometimes I have a hard time finding big baits so I picked up some 12-14 inch mackeral at the supermarket one time to try and they worked.  My biggest on one was I think 40 inches.   I can't wait for icefishing big pike, love to see those flags.  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Oct 13, 2006, 05:24 PM »
one was I think 40 inches.  

nice!  I will be selling spikes out of the shack this year! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.